pdf to word doc, pdf to jpg

People are always asking me for microsoft word docs instead of pdf
files.  I don't understand why, and find it annoying (but that's beside
the point).

I can't get a good answer from them as to what's "wrong" with pdf, so
I'm asking here.  What's wrong with PDF?

Apparently, there are tools to convert PDF to jpg or to word doc
format.

As soon as I get my computer working, I suppose I'll install some of
those tools.  I'm thinking of PDF to JPG, then copy/paste the image
into word as my passive aggressive revenge.

When I save the file as RTF too much formatting is lost.  A screen shot
only works for small things.

On a windows OS system, is it possible to "copy" the pdf file to the
clip board as an image of any kind without extra software?  I've
googled on this a bit, and it seems possible, but I just get a logo for
PDF from adobe, IIRC.

<http://www.investintech.com/prod_a2d.htm> has a free trial for pdf-->,
but did Microsoft remove the word-->pdf feature?

I know open office does exports to pdf, I should check out if they do
imports.  On linux, I know that there's pdf2text, IIRC, but the
formatting gets mucked (as expected).

-Thufir

0
hawat.thufir (2846)

  hawat.thufir@gmail.com,
  In a message on 12 May 2006 15:51:27 -0700, wrote :

h> People are always asking me for microsoft word docs instead of pdf
h> files.  I don't understand why, and find it annoying (but that's beside
h> the point).
h>
h> I can't get a good answer from them as to what's "wrong" with pdf, so
h> I'm asking here.  What's wrong with PDF?

Same thing that is wrong with screws: you can't install them well with a
hammer.  So, people who only have hammers (and only understand hammers)
use nails for all fastening jobs, even when nails are just not the right
fastener, like for attaching a cylinder head to an engine block.  Or to
mount disk drives in their computers.

There are people out there that only use *one* app, for *everything*:
MS-Word.  They use it for ALL documents.  They use it to create web
pages (the result generally fails to be proper or even legal HTML and
commonly fails the HTML validator at www.w3w.org).  Also, there are
people who insist on being able to *edit* any document that lands on
their computer.  I'm guessing these same people feel that they must be
able to scribble in other peoples' (including library) books...

h>
h> Apparently, there are tools to convert PDF to jpg or to word doc
h> format.

These conversions generally result in a major loss of quality...

h>
h> As soon as I get my computer working, I suppose I'll install some of
h> those tools.  I'm thinking of PDF to JPG, then copy/paste the image
h> into word as my passive aggressive revenge.
h>
h> When I save the file as RTF too much formatting is lost.  A screen shot
h> only works for small things.
h>
h> On a windows OS system, is it possible to "copy" the pdf file to the
h> clip board as an image of any kind without extra software?  I've
h> googled on this a bit, and it seems possible, but I just get a logo for
h> PDF from adobe, IIRC.
h>
h> <http://www.investintech.com/prod_a2d.htm> has a free trial for pdf-->,
h> but did Microsoft remove the word-->pdf feature?
h>
h> I know open office does exports to pdf, I should check out if they do
h> imports.  On linux, I know that there's pdf2text, IIRC, but the
h> formatting gets mucked (as expected).
h>
h>
h>
h> -Thufir
h>
h>

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller@deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

0
Robert
5/13/2006 1:48:38 AM
One good thing about Word documents is they are more manageable. For
example I have a pdf user manual I downloaded, and it is one humongous page.
I cannot find a way to print it. I only get one small corner from the
printer. Only get the same corner if I try to convert to Word.

If anyone here can tell me how to print over-size pdf documents, I'd
appreciate it!

Ken

KarlB