PDFs displayed under Linux look bad

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I experienced a problem with my Acrobat Reader 5.0 for Linux: When
displaying, some PDF files look very blurred, while under Windows,
Acrobat Reader 6.0 displays them clearly. Did anyone else experience
related problems? I made two screenshots:

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~wsh/linux.jpg
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~wsh/windows.jpg

As I am working mostly with Linux, reading such blurred texts is
really annoying. Is there any possibility to better this situation?

Ren�.

--
Ren� Meyer
Student of Physics & Mathematics

See related articles to this posting

I would say it is a bug of Acrobat Reader 5... Some fonts are not well
displayed...
If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
use Xpdf.
If you cannot modify the pdf file, change the font.

--
Beno�t NOYELLES - Doctorant en astronomie � Lille
site perso http://perso.wanadoo.fr/benoit.noyelles

Dear Beno�t,

thank you for your answer.

On 22 Feb 2004 14:43:58 GMT, Beno�t Noyelles wrote:
> If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
> use Xpdf.

I'll try it.

> If you cannot modify the pdf file, change the font.

I don't know the internals of PDF and what is done when such a file is
displayed. How to change the font of the PDF file?

Ren�.

--
Ren� Meyer
Student of Physics & Mathematics
Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
0
Reply Rene 2/22/2004 3:50:24 PM

> I don't know the internals of PDF and what is done when such a file is
> displayed. How to change the font of the PDF file?

I don't know either.
If the pdf file was built with a *.tex file as a source file, it is easy to
change the font. Without the *.tex file, I cannot.

--
Beno�t NOYELLES - Doctorant en astronomie � Lille
site perso http://perso.wanadoo.fr/benoit.noyelles
non � la pollution lumineuse : http://asso.nordnet.fr/carl/eviter.htm
0
Reply iso 2/22/2004 3:59:32 PM

On 22 Feb 2004 14:43:58 GMT, Beno�t Noyelles wrote:
> If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
> use Xpdf.

Well, it looks like xpdf can't display the file at all. I think it
hasn't been composed with LaTeX. Any other hints?

Ren�.

--
Ren� Meyer
Student of Physics & Mathematics
Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
0
Reply Rene 2/22/2004 4:20:32 PM

In article <c1aksg$1gep20$2@ID-193047.news.uni-berlin.de>, Rene Meyer wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2004 14:43:58 GMT, Beno�t Noyelles wrote:
>> If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
>> use Xpdf.
>
> Well, it looks like xpdf can't display the file at all. I think it
> hasn't been composed with LaTeX. Any other hints?

Are you using a recent version of Xpdf?  (3.00 is the latest.)

Can you email me that PDF file?

- Derek
0
Reply derekn 2/22/2004 11:19:05 PM
comp.text.pdf 5545 articles. 36 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

[News] [Linux] Linux Makes Windows Looks Really Bad
After Ubuntu, Windows Looks Increasingly Bad, Increasingly Archaic, Increasingly Unfriendly ,----[ Quote ] | My recent switch to a single-boot Ubuntu setup on my Thinkpad T60 | simply floors me on a regular basis. Most recently it's had to do | with the experience of maintaining the software. Fresh from a very | long Windows 2000 experience and a four-month Windows XP experience | along with a long-time Linux sys admin role puts me in a great | position to assess Ubuntu. | | [...] | | My experience with Linux on the server with its multi-hundred day | uptimes broken by hardware up...

Linux Is So Bad it Has To Be a Joke... Exposing the Linux Myth, or LIE depending upon how you look at it.
Just some of the Linux myths exposed Why so many distributions? The Linux weirdos would like you to believe that it is because of *choice* but the informed user knows that it is because most distributions are so bad that you need to keep searching to find the one distribution that does everything right. Good luck because you will never find it. One distribution can print. Another can use plugins for browsers. Another has a decent package manager. Still another supports most video cards. No distribution will do it all however, and THAT is the REAL reason why their are 100+ different distribut...

Linux Magazine
I'm sure that Linux Magazine is some sort of Microsoft shill site or something. After all - Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Krapper" works *perfectly* for every one of the COLA "advocates" so Linux Magazine must be lying or fudding. <quote> Hey Ubuntu, Stop Making Linux Look Bad Ubuntu's new Karmic Koala 9.10 release has been highly anticipated as the greatest release ever. In truth, it falls flat on its face in a time when Linux really needed to shine. Don't believe me? Just take a look at the release notes for 9.10 and read the 40 odd bugs for this "...

Why does Tk look bad on linux?
I'm running Ubuntu. Tk looked great on Windows XP. Now when I run a Tk app in linux it looks bad. That's quite strange. I would've expected it to look better on Linux. That's its home turf. casioculture@gmail.com wrote: > I'm running Ubuntu. Tk looked great on Windows XP. Now when I run a Tk > app in linux it looks bad. That's quite strange. I would've expected it > to look better on Linux. That's its home turf. Could you be a bit more specific? What exactly is it, that makes looking Tk bad? Wrong background colors? Big scrollbars? Those things hap...

[News] GNU/Linux-only Applications Make Windows Look Bad

2006 Looks Like Another Snooze Year For Desktop Linux... Too Bad....
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/12/19/51OPopenent_1.html By the time Linux makes any type of serious inroads into the desktop market, Microsoft will have released Vista and it will be all over for Linux because by the time Linux figures out how to reverse engineer the features and hardware support Vista will have MS will have yet another version and it all starts over again. Linux, always behind the 8-Ball. Linux: If you think you hate it now.... Wait till you try it!! On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:16:17 -0500, Le Yammy wrote: > http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/12/19/51OPopenent_1.ht...

[News] Looking Bad for XBox, Looking Bad for Zune
Emerging markets won't save Microsoft as Windows and Office dwindle... Problems hit Xbox video service ,----[ Quote ] | But Xbox's Larry Hryb has said "technical issues have resulted in a | very unpleasant experience" for users. `---- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6180120.stm Microsoft's No-Zune Zone ,----[ Quote ] | It's not looking good for the Zune. | | Last Friday, the second-most watched clip on YouTube was about | Microsoft's long-expected, if not necessarily anticipated, | attempt to take on Apple's iPod digital music player... "It...

[News] [Linux] Linux Users Groups Formed in Bahrain, Macedonia Looks at Linux Laptops
Bahrain LUG Announced ,----[ Quote ] | We are pleased to announce the first meeting of the Bahrain Linux User | Group! `---- http://mahmood.tv/2007/05/30/bahrain-lug-announced/ One Laptop Per Macedonian Child ,----[ Quote ] | I am Novica Nakov of Free Software Macedonia and the Macedonian | Government announced a project about computers in education in | December 2006. The ambitious project "Computer for every student" | is now under way. `---- http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/countries/one_laptop_per_macedonian_child.html Wintel is already on the scene, prepared to "...

[News] [Linux] New Version of Berry Linux Released; A Look at Edubuntu and Arch Linux
Berry (from Japan) has a new release: http://berry.sourceforge.jp/ Tip of the Trade: Edubuntu ,----[ Quote ] | You can literally have an entire network up and and running in | an hour. | | Edubuntu, like all good Linuxes, supports older hardware well. `---- http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3682596 Arch Voodoo Install ,----[ Quote ] | I would recommend Arch Linux to anyone who can read documents. Arch is | a very simple, fast and clean Linux distribution and installs only | the required applications. `---- http://abhay-techzone.blogspot.com/2007/06/arch-voodoo-ins...

COLA LINUX FREAKS are bad for Linux.
I have come to realize that COLA LINUX FREAKS (CF) are the worst thing that can happen to linux. 1. COLA FREAKS aways recommend their distro, even if it does not fill the needs of the USER, and has to be tweaked a lot. 2. COLA FREAKS lie like dogs about linux. 3. COLA FREAKS have no idea what "easy to use" means. 4. COLA FREAKS attacks the user, if the user has issues. 5. COLA FREAKS have no idea how to handle user frustration. 6. COLA FREAKS do a distro dance. If something does not work, you have the wrong distro. 7. COLA FREAKS rarely test anything, and instead...

[News] [Linux] A Look at Parsix Linux (Screenshots)
Parsix 0.90 Test 3 ,----[ Quote ] | The third test release of Parsix GNU/Linux 0.90 is now available. New in | this LiveCD is GNOME 2.18.2, Sun Java replaced by GCJ, added the Parsix | Book to the LiveCD, several bug fixes, glibc 2.5, and many other | improvements. `---- http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=746&num=1 Related: Parsix GNU/Linux 0.85.1 Released ,----[ Quote ] | An updated version of Parsix GNU/Linux is available now. This version | merges all published updates on the Parsix and Debian repositories | since December 1, 2006 to Mar 1, 2007 into a rock sol...

[News] Looking Back at Great Linux for Desktop Linux
Linux in 2006 - A year of big gains ,----[ Gist ] | IBM will not use Windows Vista - but will move to Linux desktops | | The City of Chicago goes Linux, saves over 85% in the process | | Munich opts to use Debian version of Linux | | Ubuntu is noted as being #27 in PCWorld's 100 Best Products of the Year | | Linux cuts Kent Police system costs by 90% by using SuSE | | Kerala (an Indian state) goes Linux | | Venezuela's Government Shifts to Open Source Software | | Korea migrates 120K civil servants to Linux desktop | | Dell refunds Linux users who ditch XP `---- http://www.se...

[News] Linux Foundation Grows Further, a Look at Ceph in Linux

A Look at Bodhi Linux, Based on Ubuntu GNU/Linux

[News] [Linux] First Look at the $99 Linux PC
Gizmodo get their hands on Zonbu's remote-storage Linux PC ,----[ Quote ] | Gizmodo have been playing with a halfway solution, Zonbu?s $99 | Linux PC, which runs open-source software on a fanless 1.2MHz | platform but utilises Amazon?s S3 storage servers to save your files. `---- http://www.slashgear.com/gizmodo-get-their-hands-on-zonbus-remote-storage-linux-pc-235408.php ...

[News] A Look at Latest Kubuntu Linux and Foresight Linux
Review of Kubuntu 7.04 Beta ,----[ Quote ] | Kubuntu is one of the biggest KDE-based distributions out there | right now. And it has a reason to be. Beautiful, powerful, easy-to-use, | and easy to install are just a few things that come to mind. I tested | out the latest beta, 7.04 Feisty Fawn, scheduled to ship on April 19th. `---- http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/15094 Playing with Foresight Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I've started using Foresight Linux in my newly-resurrected Toshiba | laptop with very good results. The very clean and unadulterated | GNOME desktop, along with the new Cona...

[News] A Quick Look at Sabayon Linux and Linux Mint
Sabayon 3.4 - Through the Looking Glass ,----[ Quote ] | I first tried Sabayon Linux in the 3.2 edition and I was plesantly surprised. | It found my wireless card, worked well with everything on my box, but it had | a few kinks and oddities that they seem to have worked out. `---- http://delusionsofgrandeur.org/index.php/archives/173 Follow-ups and Linux Mint http://www.techworld.nl/idgns/3962/follow-ups-and-linux-mint.html Related: Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 3.4 Revision E [Stable Release] ,----[ Quote ] | Distribution updates: | # Introduced a (teaser) pre-alpha release of the Ent...

[News] A Look at Exaile for Linux, Window Managers for Linux

Linux in Government: Another Look at Linux in the MS Infrastructure
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8069 In an article published in IT Week, Roger Howorth discussed lab results that indicated how the latest version of the open-source Samba file and print server software out-performed commercial Windows 2003 Server. The latest version of Samba, the software that helped put Linux on the technology map, has new features that make it compatible with Microsoft Active Directory. Linux thus can authenticate users from an existing Active Directory. As IT Week Labs reported: -- Texeme http://texeme.com On Monday 31 January 2005 16:54 M. Night Bailoylaman wro...

I looking after Linux Proxy Firewall with full install with linux?
Please Any suggest For free proxy gatway to Internet with like Applience install include Linux installation, and easy configure by Web interface? I need it for windows based network, mtczx232@yahoo.com wrote: > Please Any suggest For free proxy gatway to Internet with like > Applience install include Linux installation, and easy configure by > Web interface? I need it for windows based network, Smoothwall is the best in my opinion. Very easy to setup and then you control it from a web interface. There is a free version and the commercial version, both are good products but the c...

I looking after Linux Proxy Firewall with full install with linux? #2
Please Any suggest For free proxy gatway to Internet with like Applience install include Linux installation, and easy configure by Web interface? I need it for windows based network, mtczx232@yahoo.com wrote: > Please Any suggest For free proxy gatway to Internet with like > Applience install include Linux installation, and easy configure by > Web interface? I need it for windows based network, > With maintenence and AV updates or "free"? With maintenence and support: suggest www.astaro.com - there are others, some cheaper and some more expensive, depends on you. ...

[News] Rave Review for Pardus Linux; A Look at Gobo Linux
Pardus 2007.1 -- Almost Perfect ,----[ Quote ] | Pardus is a unique distribution which has its own solutions which | work very well. I think that the distribution deserves far greater | renown than it has currently and if it keeps up such innovation | and quality, it'll be an important player in the category of | extensive desktop distributions. `---- http://polishlinux.org/linux/pardus/pardus-20071-almost-perfect/ GoboLinux 014 RC1 ,----[ Quote ] | A new release of GoboLinux is out, which among other things contains | glibc 2.5, X.Org 7.2, GCC 4.1.2, KDE 3.5.6, and the Linux 2.6.20.4 ...

Linux is not so bad
Hi, I've been using Linux for while now. It took me some time to get used to it, but I think i'm now getting the hang of it. But I've been having some problems trying to get some of it to work nicely. Example. Fonts. No matter what I do to configure the fonts from Mozilla prefernces, it always looks shoddy. And when I view postscript files from Ghostview, ugly just does not even cover it. Viewing PDF files is a joke. Its OK when the file was rendered from pdf conversion tools in Linux. But try viewing any document that was professionaly created by Adobe software. It just ...

HOW BAD IS LINUX?
I tried to install Suse 10.0 My scanner does not work (Canon 631PP) My soundcard does not work (M-Audio USB) My Printer does not Work (Lexmark USB) My Wireless card (Netgear) does not work. So now I am left with a system that doesn't work? So how bad is Linux? I expect this kind of performance for Windows 95, but not a Linux version circa 2005. Based upon experience I think Linux sux. On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:30:37 -0500, Fred Simmons wrote: > I tried to install Suse 10.0 > My scanner does not work (Canon 631PP) My soundcard does not work (M-Audio > USB) My Printer does not...