PDFs displayed under Linux look bad

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I experienced a problem with my Acrobat Reader 5.0 for Linux: When
displaying, some PDF files look very blurred, while under Windows,
Acrobat Reader 6.0 displays them clearly. Did anyone else experience
related problems? I made two screenshots:

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~wsh/linux.jpg
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~wsh/windows.jpg

As I am working mostly with Linux, reading such blurred texts is
really annoying. Is there any possibility to better this situation?

Ren�.

--
Ren� Meyer
Student of Physics & Mathematics

See related articles to this posting

I would say it is a bug of Acrobat Reader 5... Some fonts are not well
displayed...
If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
use Xpdf.
If you cannot modify the pdf file, change the font.

--
Beno�t NOYELLES - Doctorant en astronomie � Lille
site perso http://perso.wanadoo.fr/benoit.noyelles

Dear Beno�t,

thank you for your answer.

On 22 Feb 2004 14:43:58 GMT, Beno�t Noyelles wrote:
> If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
> use Xpdf.

I'll try it.

> If you cannot modify the pdf file, change the font.

I don't know the internals of PDF and what is done when such a file is
displayed. How to change the font of the PDF file?

Ren�.

--
Ren� Meyer
Student of Physics & Mathematics
Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
0
Reply Rene 2/22/2004 3:50:24 PM

> I don't know the internals of PDF and what is done when such a file is
> displayed. How to change the font of the PDF file?

I don't know either.
If the pdf file was built with a *.tex file as a source file, it is easy to
change the font. Without the *.tex file, I cannot.

--
Beno�t NOYELLES - Doctorant en astronomie � Lille
site perso http://perso.wanadoo.fr/benoit.noyelles
non � la pollution lumineuse : http://asso.nordnet.fr/carl/eviter.htm
0
Reply iso 2/22/2004 3:59:32 PM

On 22 Feb 2004 14:43:58 GMT, Beno�t Noyelles wrote:
> If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
> use Xpdf.

Well, it looks like xpdf can't display the file at all. I think it
hasn't been composed with LaTeX. Any other hints?

Ren�.

--
Ren� Meyer
Student of Physics & Mathematics
Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
0
Reply Rene 2/22/2004 4:20:32 PM

In article <c1aksg$1gep20$2@ID-193047.news.uni-berlin.de>, Rene Meyer wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2004 14:43:58 GMT, Beno�t Noyelles wrote:
>> If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
>> use Xpdf.
>
> Well, it looks like xpdf can't display the file at all. I think it
> hasn't been composed with LaTeX. Any other hints?

Are you using a recent version of Xpdf?  (3.00 is the latest.)

Can you email me that PDF file?

- Derek
0
Reply derekn 2/22/2004 11:19:05 PM
comp.text.pdf 5537 articles. 36 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

[News] [Linux] Linux Makes Windows Looks Really Bad
After Ubuntu, Windows Looks Increasingly Bad, Increasingly Archaic, Increasingly Unfriendly ,----[ Quote ] | My recent switch to a single-boot Ubuntu setup on my Thinkpad T60 | simply floors me on a regular basis. Most recently it's had to do | with the experience of maintaining the software. Fresh from a very | long Windows 2000 experience and a four-month Windows XP experience | along with a long-time Linux sys admin role puts me in a great | position to assess Ubuntu. | | [...] | | My experience with Linux on the server with its multi-hundred day | uptimes broken by hardware up...

Linux Is So Bad it Has To Be a Joke... Exposing the Linux Myth, or LIE depending upon how you look at it.
Just some of the Linux myths exposed Why so many distributions? The Linux weirdos would like you to believe that it is because of *choice* but the informed user knows that it is because most distributions are so bad that you need to keep searching to find the one distribution that does everything right. Good luck because you will never find it. One distribution can print. Another can use plugins for browsers. Another has a decent package manager. Still another supports most video cards. No distribution will do it all however, and THAT is the REAL reason why their are 100+ different distribut...

Linux Magazine
I'm sure that Linux Magazine is some sort of Microsoft shill site or something. After all - Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Krapper" works *perfectly* for every one of the COLA "advocates" so Linux Magazine must be lying or fudding. <quote> Hey Ubuntu, Stop Making Linux Look Bad Ubuntu's new Karmic Koala 9.10 release has been highly anticipated as the greatest release ever. In truth, it falls flat on its face in a time when Linux really needed to shine. Don't believe me? Just take a look at the release notes for 9.10 and read the 40 odd bugs for this "...

Why does Tk look bad on linux?
I'm running Ubuntu. Tk looked great on Windows XP. Now when I run a Tk app in linux it looks bad. That's quite strange. I would've expected it to look better on Linux. That's its home turf. casioculture@gmail.com wrote: > I'm running Ubuntu. Tk looked great on Windows XP. Now when I run a Tk > app in linux it looks bad. That's quite strange. I would've expected it > to look better on Linux. That's its home turf. Could you be a bit more specific? What exactly is it, that makes looking Tk bad? Wrong background colors? Big scrollbars? Those things hap...

[News] GNU/Linux-only Applications Make Windows Look Bad

2006 Looks Like Another Snooze Year For Desktop Linux... Too Bad....
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/12/19/51OPopenent_1.html By the time Linux makes any type of serious inroads into the desktop market, Microsoft will have released Vista and it will be all over for Linux because by the time Linux figures out how to reverse engineer the features and hardware support Vista will have MS will have yet another version and it all starts over again. Linux, always behind the 8-Ball. Linux: If you think you hate it now.... Wait till you try it!! On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:16:17 -0500, Le Yammy wrote: > http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/12/19/51OPopenent_1.ht...

[News] Looking Bad for XBox, Looking Bad for Zune
Emerging markets won't save Microsoft as Windows and Office dwindle... Problems hit Xbox video service ,----[ Quote ] | But Xbox's Larry Hryb has said "technical issues have resulted in a | very unpleasant experience" for users. `---- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6180120.stm Microsoft's No-Zune Zone ,----[ Quote ] | It's not looking good for the Zune. | | Last Friday, the second-most watched clip on YouTube was about | Microsoft's long-expected, if not necessarily anticipated, | attempt to take on Apple's iPod digital music player... "It...

[News] [Linux] Linux Users Groups Formed in Bahrain, Macedonia Looks at Linux Laptops
Bahrain LUG Announced ,----[ Quote ] | We are pleased to announce the first meeting of the Bahrain Linux User | Group! `---- http://mahmood.tv/2007/05/30/bahrain-lug-announced/ One Laptop Per Macedonian Child ,----[ Quote ] | I am Novica Nakov of Free Software Macedonia and the Macedonian | Government announced a project about computers in education in | December 2006. The ambitious project "Computer for every student" | is now under way. `---- http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/countries/one_laptop_per_macedonian_child.html Wintel is already on the scene, prepared to "...

[News] [Linux] New Version of Berry Linux Released; A Look at Edubuntu and Arch Linux
Berry (from Japan) has a new release: http://berry.sourceforge.jp/ Tip of the Trade: Edubuntu ,----[ Quote ] | You can literally have an entire network up and and running in | an hour. | | Edubuntu, like all good Linuxes, supports older hardware well. `---- http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3682596 Arch Voodoo Install ,----[ Quote ] | I would recommend Arch Linux to anyone who can read documents. Arch is | a very simple, fast and clean Linux distribution and installs only | the required applications. `---- http://abhay-techzone.blogspot.com/2007/06/arch-voodoo-ins...