PDFs displayed under Linux look bad

Hi,

I experienced a problem with my Acrobat Reader 5.0 for Linux: When
displaying, some PDF files look very blurred, while under Windows,
Acrobat Reader 6.0 displays them clearly. Did anyone else experience
related problems? I made two screenshots:

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~wsh/linux.jpg
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~wsh/windows.jpg

As I am working mostly with Linux, reading such blurred texts is
really annoying. Is there any possibility to better this situation?

Ren�.

--
Ren� Meyer
Student of Physics & Mathematics

I would say it is a bug of Acrobat Reader 5... Some fonts are not well
displayed...
If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
use Xpdf.
If you cannot modify the pdf file, change the font.

--
Beno�t NOYELLES - Doctorant en astronomie � Lille
site perso http://perso.wanadoo.fr/benoit.noyelles

thank you for your answer.

On 22 Feb 2004 14:43:58 GMT, Beno�t Noyelles wrote:
> If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
> use Xpdf.

I'll try it.

> If you cannot modify the pdf file, change the font.

I don't know the internals of PDF and what is done when such a file is
displayed. How to change the font of the PDF file?

Ren�.

--
Ren� Meyer
Student of Physics & Mathematics
Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
0
Rene
2/22/2004 3:50:24 PM
> I don't know the internals of PDF and what is done when such a file is
> displayed. How to change the font of the PDF file?

I don't know either.
If the pdf file was built with a *.tex file as a source file, it is easy to
change the font. Without the *.tex file, I cannot.

--
Beno�t NOYELLES - Doctorant en astronomie � Lille
site perso http://perso.wanadoo.fr/benoit.noyelles
non � la pollution lumineuse : http://asso.nordnet.fr/carl/eviter.htm
0
iso
2/22/2004 3:59:32 PM
On 22 Feb 2004 14:43:58 GMT, Beno�t Noyelles wrote:
> If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
> use Xpdf.

Well, it looks like xpdf can't display the file at all. I think it
hasn't been composed with LaTeX. Any other hints?

Ren�.

--
Ren� Meyer
Student of Physics & Mathematics
Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
0
Rene
2/22/2004 4:20:32 PM
In article <c1aksg$1gep20$2@ID-193047.news.uni-berlin.de>, Rene Meyer wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2004 14:43:58 GMT, Beno�t Noyelles wrote:
>> If you cannot modify the pdf file, the best way under Linux would be to
>> use Xpdf.
>
> Well, it looks like xpdf can't display the file at all. I think it
> hasn't been composed with LaTeX. Any other hints?

Are you using a recent version of Xpdf?  (3.00 is the latest.)

Can you email me that PDF file?

- Derek
0
derekn

displaying min in a GUI
i have a GUI In the GUI, there are 4 boxes. The user keys in 3 values into the first 3 boxes and clicks GO. Then the min will be displayed in the 4th box. The tags for the boxes are UV_1, UV_2, UV_3, UV_4. The following are my codes: a = get(handles.UV_1,'String'); b = get(handles.UV_2,'String'); c = get(handles.UV_3,'String'); UV = [a b c]; min_UV = min(UV); set(handles.UV_4, 'String', min_UV); guidata(hObject, handles); So if i key 2, 4, 6 in the forst 3 boxes, i shoudl get 2 as my min. However, i got 50 as my min. What is wrong? TQ ...

Linux Patent Protection Network Lures Facebook, HP
<http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/04/20/1642224/Linux-Patent-Protection-Network-Lures-Facebook-HP> <quote> "Facebook, HP, Rackspace, Juniper, Fujitsu and dozens of other organizations have joined a group building a defensive patent portfolio to protect Linux-using members from potential lawsuits. The Open Invention Network (OIN) — founded in 2005 by IBM, NEC, Novell, Phillips, Red Hat and Sony — has acquired 300 Linux-related patents and licenses to 2,000 in total in a bid to protect the Linux community from intellectual property lawsuits. The group added 74 new members thi...

Linux hotkey
I know Linux has a hotkey to show the old command , for example , if I type the word "per" on the shell then press the hotkey , it will show the command "perl Makefile.PL" which I hv used previously , what is this hotkey ? thx mia456789@yahoo.com.hk wrote in news:8c7da136.0411050719.16212626 @posting.google.com: > I know Linux has a hotkey to show the old command , for example , if I > type the word "per" on the shell then press the hotkey , it will show > the command "perl Makefile.PL" which I hv used previously , what is > this hotkey ? t...

Where is the Linux Visio???
As an enterprise architect, I design every business process and function using Microsoft Visio. My office building was in fact planned by me using Visio down to the last vase and plant. The business process was modeled using UML! In fact every action down to the receptionist was architected by me using Case Diagrams. The receptionists are instructed to follow the gang of four's Correlation Identifier as two-phase commit is not ideal as proven using Markov Chains. I apply the normal distribution to employee performance and terminate those to the left of curve every two quarters. ...

[News] More Proof That Diversity and Choice a Strength of Linux and OSS
A (Linux) use for x86 virtualization? ,----[ Quote ] | More subtly, it turns an oft cited Linux negative: too many Linux | distributions, into a positive: freeing the customer from vendor imposed | distribution requirements. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=970 Consultant uses open source to offer more choices to clients ,----[ Quote ] | The challenges are worth it, Wacht says, because the benefits are so great. " `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/119404 Related: Why Having 500+ Distros is a Good Thing ,----[ Quote ] | Perhaps next time the author might think about wh...

Netpanzer game review under Linux
Installing NetPanzer was easy using GNU/Linux/Fedora 11:- "yum install netpanzer" was all I had to type, and the game automatically downloaded, installed and appeared in my menu under "games". NetPanzer presents with a large movable aerial view showing several 'bases' which players may occupy and use to produce a range of mobile vehicles, from heavy tanks to missile launchers. I joined a online server from the menu, and found myself in a seemingly deserted game, so set about occupying bases and producing mobile units as practice. At some point, various '...

[News] GNU/Linux Distributions Released When Ready, Not Rushed

Producing CMYK PDFs for commercial printing, Linux/Unix tools...
I am trying to produce a CMYK PDF of an A4, tri-fold brochure, on a Linux box using freely available tools. I think I'm close, but clarification on some points would be great!! At present my toolchain is: ---------------------------------------- latex file dvips -t a4 -pp 1 -t landscape -f file.dvi | \ gs -r600 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pnm -sOutputFile=- - -c quit | \ pnmtotiffcmyk -packbits > file-1.tif dvips -t a4 -pp 2 -t landscape -f file.dvi | \ gs -r600 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pnm -sOutputFile=- - -c quit | \ pnmtotiffcmyk -packbits > file-2.tif tif...

HP renames Linux Unit to OSLO
"HP has changed the name of its Linux operation to the Open Source & Linux Organization (OSLO) to advertise its open source sympathies, it said. It's supposed to signify HP's focus on open source beyond the Linux operating system. Martin Fink will continue to run the unit. HP claims it's the "only major vendor with a complete, comprehensive open source strategy for enterprise customers," citing the 300 products it's gotten certified and integrated with open source components, including HP System Insight Manager server management software; its expanded base o...

Innovators get Linux to boot in 1 second
Innovators get Linux to boot in 1 second Doing real-time Linux is hard enough. Making it boot in 1 second took real innovation. http://www.edn.com/article/CA6720353.html By Paul Rako, Technical Editor -- EDN, 3/4/2010 Cheers Don... -- Don McKenzie Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/email Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam Product Sellout: 15% OFF 4DSystems OLED Displays & modules. http://www.dontronics-shop.com/micro-oled.html On 7/03/2010 1:...

Get ip adress of visitor and display on webpage...
Hello guys, need some help here, i am working on a school project and i have to get the visitors ip on a webpage... althought i know how to do it in php, asp, i CANT use these languages, it has to be in JAVA... I got no idea, how.,. Can you help me out? Thanx in Advance! JBK jbk@spotter.gr schreef: > Hello guys, need some help here, > i am working on a school project and i have to get the visitors ip on a > webpage... althought i know how to do it in php, asp, i CANT use these > languages, it has to be in JAVA... I got no idea, how.,. Can you help me > ou...

object graphics display.pro (PAR) retain=2,decomposed=0 etc
Hey all, Sorry for the cryptic title but I can't describe my problem any better! I'm using PAR's display.pro http://www.ainaco.com/idl/idl_library/display.html for some widget work that I'm doing and I've come across something that I can't seem to fix. Simply downloading the program, compile and run brings up an object graphics based plot window. But when I move something else over the window, eg xterm, emacs editor, I loose the entire image! I can't see a way of redrawing it without re-issusing the display command. Having followed this group on and off for a ...

[News] $300-$400 Linux-powered Crunchpad is Real and It is Coming

PDFs
I'm running the Gimp 1.2.4 for Windows. I'm unable to open PDFs. Am I doing something wrong? mark georgetoon@yahoo.com (mark) writes: > I'm running the Gimp 1.2.4 for Windows. I'm unable to open PDFs. Am I > doing something wrong? You need ghostscript to load pdf (and postscript) files. Get it from http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ Put the directory where the gswin32c.exe is into your PATH. http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/SetWindowsPath HTH, Michael -- The GIMP: http://www.gimp.de & http://www.gimp.org Sodipodi: http://sodipodi.sf.net Michael Schumacher <schumam...

Interactive PDFs
Hi all, Is it possible, using MikTex to create interactive PDFs. I would like to distribute tests to students in PDF format, have them answer and forward the saved PDF to me. Thanks! On 10 Aug 2006 02:56:34 -0700, "MyrskyVaris@gmail.com" <MyrskyVaris@gmail.com> wrote: >Is it possible, using MikTex to create interactive PDFs. I would like >to distribute tests to students in PDF format, have them answer and >forward the saved PDF to me. I think you'll find AcroTeX maximally interesting: http://www.acrotex.net/ Michele -- >It's because the universe ...

Looking for set constraint solver in Java
Dear all, I'm looking for an open-source set constraint solver package in Java. A search on the Internet did not reveal much: jpaul seems to offer that capability but the documentation seems to be very short. By now I used QOCA for linerar constraints and am satisfied with it. But it is for linerar constraints and not for set constraints. Are there more options? Thanks, Ulrich jpaul: http://jpaul.sourceforge.net/javadoc/jpaul/Constraints/SetConstraints/package-summary.html#package_description Hi, Maybe the choco solver is of interest for you: http://choco...

If your looking for good adventure games
Just thought it was worth letting anyone who's interested in adventure-game hunting, that I've got some rare -ish and not-so-rare ones on eBay at the moment. I'll be adding many more soon too. Ones I have on at the moment include ; 3 Skulls of the Toltecs, Chewy : Esc from F5, Blade Runner, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Dinotopia, Creature Crunch, Roberta Williams Anthology and an Enid Blyton Famous Five game. All of these games are absolutely original and my eBay record is excellent. Here's the URL link if you want to look ; http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSe...

Tape Back solutions for Linux
I am working to develop a decent tape backup setup for a couple of Linux servers here. One of my basic needs is that it be possible for a relative novice to handle changing the tapes. Since I'm the only ultra-computer savvy person around here, I have to rely on being able to train secretaries to do the tape changes. I am currently using NovaNET by NovaStor (which is the exact same program as TapeWare). It works OK with my current setup except for the following problems: 1. When using a backup schedule, if the tape is not changed in time (which is a common ocurrence when doing the wee...

US-TX-Round Rock: Sr. Sw Eng/Developer, C/C++/Java/XML/OOD/UML/Win/Linux; (45331732407)
US-TX-Round Rock: Sr. Sw Eng/Developer, C/C++/Java/XML/OOD/UML/Win/Linux; (45331732407) ======================================================================================= Position: Sr. Sw Eng/Developer Reference: SMC01723 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: 7-10yrs exp in full life-cycle development. Exp with a variety of languages, methodologies & platforms including: C / C++ / Java / XML / OOD / UML / Windows & Linux. Exp/understanding of Storage products, including: RAID, ...

New Download Links
New Download Links - CCIE-RS A+ MCSE Linux Hello, Below is the list of files recently got posted at http://CertCityForum.com If you have trouble accessing the download link then please refer to Forum rules - http://certcityforum.com/index.php/topic,3.0.html 350-001 - 414 Questions - 6/8/2006 Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert http://certcityforum.com/index.php/topic,632.0.html ******************************************* 220-302 - 561 Questions - 6/7/2006 A+ OS technologies http://certcityforum.com/index.php/topic,633.0.html ******************************************* EC0-232 -...

How display number records in query designer VisualStudio.NET
I'm using the query desinger in ASP.NET , however the number of records in the resultset are not displaying, so I cut and paste it into Query analyzer which is silly. How do I set this in the output window, or result grid? Thanks Moe mo (mo@idcomm.com) writes: > I'm using the query desinger in ASP.NET , however the number of records > in the resultset are not displaying, so I cut and paste it into Query > analyzer which is silly. > How do I set this in the output window, or result grid? You shouls probably ask this in a newsgroup devoted to Visual Studio. -- Erland So...

The GPL (and Linux?) in court
Not a clue what it all really means. Is it a bit like the Duke of Wellington's "full report of the Peninsular Campaign", which in total read "We won"? (Black Adder) http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060922-dlink-judgement_frankfurt.html On Saturday 23 September 2006 11:21 B Gruff wrote: > Not a clue what it all really means. > > Is it a bit like the Duke of Wellington's "full report of the Peninsular > Campaign", which in total read "We won"? (Black Adder) > > http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060922-dlink-judgement_frankf...

COMMSCOPE CELLMAX-EXT-CPUSE | Looking to Sell | Launch 3 Telecom
Launch 3 Telecom is selling the following part: COMMSCOPE CELLMAX-EXT-CPUSE CELLMAXEXTCPUSE 698-960 / 1710-2700 MHz, 7.82 DBD GAIN, SECTOR, 7/16 DIN(F), VERTICAL Request a Quote: http://www.launch3telecom.com/COMMSCOPE/CELLMAXEXTCPUSE.html www.Launch3telecom.com | 1-877-878-9134 Follow us on: Twitter: https://twitter.com/launch3telecom FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/launch3telecom Blogspot: http://launch3telecom.blogspot.com WordPress: http://blog.launch3telecom.com YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/launch3telecom Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/launch3telecom...

Dual boot WinXP & Linux
I am a very experienced Windows user for many years. I am very interested in learning more about Linux but my computer resources are limited. I have a single laptop computer (1.8GHz, 30GB, 256MB, WinXP Home, NTFS). My computer OS is as it came from the store -- a single partition with NTFS. I know I need to repartition the HD to make room for a Linux installation and this is where I need help. I have setup partitions before back in the Win9x days using FDISK & FAT32. I know the WinXP and NTFS is a little different and I need help on what approach to take. I am not op...

Help displaying live video
I have a Windows program that is capturing live video. I would like to integrate the live video into an IDL program, so I am changing the Windows program to be a DLM. On the IDL side, how should I interface to the DLM and display the video. I assume I will create a pointer and pass it to the DLM, but to what should the pointer point and how should I display it. The images currently are single plane 24-bit monochrome data of which only 8 bits are used. I can change that if necessary in the DLM. Thanks in advance, Marc Reinig UCO/Lick Laboratory for Adaptive Optics ...