PDFTEX on USB - portable

What is the most portable, least complicated version of PDFTEX I can run from a USB keyfob?
Ideally it should be a single file program and small.

				    - = -
	   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---
 [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
0
vjp2
4/13/2008 8:02:24 PM
comp.text.pdf 5583 articles. 0 followers. ramon (1518) is leader. Post Follow

<vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com> wrote:

> What is the most portable, least complicated version of PDFTEX I can run
> from a USB keyfob? Ideally it should be a single file program and small.

A useful TeX distribution contains thousands of files.

You'd need a custom filing system if you want to get all that in a
single file, I reckon.  And then you'd probably have to create a custom
TeX distro for yourself too.

But you might want to investigate an old version of CMacTeX, and think
about running it on an old Mac (but not too old - prior to the iMac,
Macs had no USB).  That'd probably give you something as simple as it's
going to get.

I'm thinking purely of `the simplest setup I can think of that I've ever
heard of' - to meet your spec of `least complicated' with no other
constraints to be considered.

Of course, if you want to have something to run on a particular kind of
computer, you'd better specify what kind of computer it is you're
interested in.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
                                            Sorry - the spam got to me
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> What is the most portable, least complicated version of PDFTEX I can run
> from a USB keyfob? Ideally it should be a single file program and small.

What OS?

You need a very recent version of pdftex that uses an embedded pool
file.  I have

pdfTeX 3.1415926-1.40.8-alpha-20080323-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.6)

which is 1.3GB (linux binary).  A Windows binary would be
larger, but there are ways to run compressed binaries, and you
could reduce the size if you don't need all the libraries.
Then you can only "place" pdf files (e.g., no support for png
images).

You do realize that pdftex typically relies on scads of fonts, macros,
etc., don't you?  A really minimal system would use plain tex configured
to use the Adobe base fonts, using pdftex without embedding.

--
George N. White III  <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>

0
George

floopy drive and usb...
Hi , I need to connect usb drive to floopy drive cable...how can i do it ? i need it for my old cnc machine which only accept floopy drive as input...i want to make it fool my connecting usb flash drive to floopy drive cable so that i can use usb drive for data transfer... i.e load data on to usb drive. connect it to floopy drive cable...so that cnc read it is floppy drive. how can i do it ? is there any resource ? I know some programming and can make circuits.......if needed.. THANKS. "gops" wrote: >I need to connect usb drive to floopy drive cable...how can i do it ? >...

installing Linux from a USB flash drive
Is there a way to install Linux (Centos) *from* a USB stick? I've installed before from iso images on CD's / DVD's and PXE-over-the-network but can I do it from a USB stick too? When I googled the articles I could find all show me how to install it *to* a USB. But how does one use USB as the istallation medium itself? I cannot just copy the iso to a USB stick can I? -- Rahul On 11/06/08 07:35, Rahul wrote: > Is there a way to install Linux (Centos) *from* a USB stick? I've installed > before from iso images on CD's / DVD's and PXE-over-the-network but can...

USB mass storage : Loosing node
Hi, I have the debian sarge installed on my Toshiba Laptop. I use an external disk plugged in the usb 2.0 port, with two partitions : Primary ext3 and a vfat on an extended partition. So that, when I plug the disk, one node is mounted on the system coresponding to sda1 (ext3). I can mount manually the vfat one on sda5. Have done it at the same time once. now, when i mount the sda1, everything ok until I try write files on it. For a short time, it is working, then the flow is falling down ( i mean the bit rate), then it is waiting and finally i loose the node of the usb port. In the log...

Alcatel USB ADSL
Hi, I have an ADSL connection with BT and would like to use Linux as a gateway/router/whatever - machine that other ones use to talk to the internet. I have read various articles on setting this up and some hint about it being possible with some distros and some have loads of instructions. Does anyone know of a distro that supports this normally, i.e. out of the box without loads of downloads or changes ? Some have mentioned Mandrake as being a possibility ? Thanks Chris "Chris Moore" <noinboxhere@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:f6738f2c.0310171202.5fb75948@p...

[9fans] usb ohci support arrives
I've just pushed out source changes to support USB OHCI (non-Intel) controllers. Charles Forsyth provided the original driver, devohci.c. I adapted it to fit our USB framework, and Sape Mullender debugged the result. ------=_Part_13930_28198642.1202264185205 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Hi, How can I get it on my machine if - - I do not have Plan9 attached to the Internet; but I have Linux machine on the Internet; - What are the steps to install the driver, assuming that I manage to download it on Linux machine...

USB OTG on ARM7 based MCU
Hello all. I'm designing a system running on (ex Sharp) LH79520 NXP MCU with ARM720T core. I'm currently adding USB OTG function but there is something bothering me. By now, my system already has x32 SDRAM and x16 FLASH memory. I've done a lot of research about OTG controllers available on the market and picked NXP ISP1362 "Single-chip Universal Serial Bus On-The-Go Controller". It's a memory mapped device (asks for connection to x16 data bus already common to FLASH and SDRAM). In the next few days I must add an additional Ethernet controller which will probably also...

USB-Stick writeproteced
Hi, I have some trouble with my usb-stick. At the customers office I let the secretary print a few documents from the stick. I don't know what exactly she did, but now Windows (2k, XP) tells me that the stick is write protected (there is _no_ switch to physically protect it), and there is a file named "EA DATA. SF" that is locked by Windows. I never heared that windows uses a file with this name, and I don't know how to remove it. I even don't know how to write protect/unprotect an usb-stick on windows (at least if there is no hardware switch). And I don'...

USB and hibernation
Is there a mechanism for a USB port to be able wake up a PC on standby or hibernating? Ethernet cards can do it. Can anything else? -- Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products The Java Glossary http://mindprod.com On 2008-08-28 14:02:29 +0200, Roedy Green <see_website@mindprod.com.invalid> said: > Is there a mechanism for a USB port to be able wake up a PC on standby > or hibernating? > > Ethernet cards can do it. Can anything else? Well at least my apple laptop wakes up from standby if i plug a device in, so i would assume it is at least possible. I cannot tell if this w...

Checking to see if USB Printer attached and online?
Hi, The Subject Line says it all. My application print function does a Printer.BeginDoc and does a great job at creating exactly what I want. The documentation for Printer.EndDoc says that once this function releases the document to be printed by Windows. I'd like to be able to put up a dialog that says that the printer isn't attached to the USB port or isn't online but that seems to be in the domain of WIN98SE. I know WIN98SE queues the file to be printed for later but I really don't want that to happen and I really don't want a Windows System message or dia...

USB for Toshiba Libretto?
Hi! Do the available PCMCIA cards carrying USB ports work on the libretto 100? 110? 70? Thanks, Massimo If you are going to ask the same question in multiple newsgroups, please post to all at once so everyone can participate and see the whole discussion. You got two replies in comp.sys.handhelds. On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:30:49 +0200, Massimo Ferri <ferri@dm.unibo.it> wrote: >Hi! Do the available PCMCIA cards carrying USB ports work on the >libretto 100? 110? 70? > >Thanks, >Massimo ----------------------------------------- To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) fr...

Non USB Buss powered RS232 to USB cable
Does anyone know where I can get an non USB Buss powered RS232 to USB cable? I would prefer one that can be powered by an AC adapter and a battery pack for field use. Nine pin on the serial end preferred, but 25 pin OK, since there are loads of adapters out there for this. Harold A Climer University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy Room 309 Grote Hall 615 McCallie Ave Chattanooga TN 37403 Harold-Climer@utc.edu On Apr 4, 9:49 am, Harold A Climer <hcli...@prodigy.net> wrote: > Does anyone know where I can get an non USB Buss powered RS232 to USB > ...

Weird USB-hub problems
Hey there, I'm having some odd problems with my USB-hub on my TiBook. It's been working fine for many months now, but about a week ago it stopped working. In the beginning a reboot would get it back but now it won't work no matter what I do. It's a Sandberg 7-port hub with it's own power adaptor. I've tried it on my Windows machine and there it works like it should but not on OS 9 and X. In the system profiler I can see the hub but not any devices connected to it. Is it possible that I've damaged the USB ports on my PowerBook? I really hope someone has ...

USB Compact Flash on RPC?
I've just recently bought a cheap Kodak Digital camera which uses Compact flash memory cards, and came with a USB card reader. Is it possible to use this reader on a RPC with one of the USB cards? Would I need any extra software? The camera creates standard EXIF JPEGs, and the CF seems to be treated like a removable FAT format HDD. -- To contact me please use email(at)sarpcuser(dot)fsworld(dot)co(dot)uk On 12 Aug 2003 Chris Walker <chris@wymondham.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote: > In article <885cfb204c%news@sa-rpc-user.fsnet.co.uk>, ROS402dn > <URL:mailto:backatcha@...

USB Problems Running Parallels
I am running Parallels on OSX (both latest versions) and am having problems with the Windows environment being able to use USB devices (no flamers please, I am not looking for Windows help in a Mac group). When I insert the USB device (memory key or external HD), Vista (release version) (again, please no flames) sees the device, and installs the driver, but cannot use the device (error in device manager says device"could not start"). My friend is doing the same thing with XP Pro, and having the same problem. Note that I have configured Parallels to auto configure USB, and I have tri...

pdftex problems
I will be very grateful to anyone who can help with this. For years, I've cheerfully used pdftex (the version that's packaged with Miktex). I recently got a new computer, installed miktex, and discovered that pdftex has been "upgraded" to the point where I can no longer use it. The problem is that pdftex used to refer to a pdftex.cfg file for the values of variables like \pdfpageheight and \pdfpagewidth. Now it looks for these in the .tex document, or an in input file called from that document. The reason this is a problem is that my documents often begin with a \magnif...

usb wifi adapter recs?
I have an older imac (before airport) and I want to use this with on a wireless network. Can anyone recommend a usb adapter that "just works"? thanks...ps-it is a 333mhz imac with 10.3.x ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- ...

pdftex.web to pdftex.pdf
Aloha, i have a problem transforming the pdftex.web in pdftex-1.11b to a readable and useable .pdf. I use the pdf-1.11b.tar.bz2 from dante, date oct16 12:21. The package compiles without errors and i get a working pdftex. cwd to /homes/lobingera/test-site1/pdftex-1.11b/build/texk/web2c lobingera@athene: weave pdftex.web pdftex.ch This is WEAVE, Version 4.4 (Web2C 7.5.2) *1*17*25*38*54*72*99*110*115*133*162*173*199*203*207*211*220*256*268 *289*297*300*321*332*366*402*464*487*511*539*583*592*644*653*665*667 *675*698*784*824*843*863*912*957*1006*1035*1044*1063*1086*1111*1125 *1174*1200*128...

USB information request.
I have a plan, possibly a stupid plan... ....so I'm after some info regarding the various USB solutions for RiscOS systems. Can any kind people tell me what USB chipsets are used in: -Iyonix -A9 -Castle USB Podule -Simtec USB Podule -Unipod I have... -Omega's I have... Looks like there's no 'standard' chip: Something that didn't make it to the firmware? While I'm asking odd questions can anyone give any info about the Iyonix PCI-Podule adaptor/backplane..? -Looking on Chris's website it looks like a passive component to me - correct? -Podule bus 'emulate...

Control of USB devices
I received a copy, but the post went missing. Here it is again:- The new computers usually do not have an RS232c device, but now have 2 or more USB ports. I an interested in any advice or experience on reading and writing to/ from devices on these ports, where the device comunicates both ways via ASCII strings. I am assuming, from prior experience with specific devices that used to come with a RS232c plug, and that now come with a USB plug, that they will work pretty much the same way as before, apart from the plug hardware interface. I want to do this in Fortran (as before). How does one n...

No USB!
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C3A4A8.9A9653F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable It was working fine, but now Windows does not recognize it. I rebooted, = calc and PC, many (...many...) times... Any sugestions? Toby By the way, it's a 49G+ ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C3A4A8.9A9653F0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML>&...

pdftex output
Dear all, Does pdf(la)tex produce read-only pdf output only? Is there any documentation about this? Thanks in advance. Regards, Marc van Dongen Marc van Dongen wrote, On 2011-05-10 15:26: > Dear all, > > > Does pdf(la)tex produce read-only pdf output only? Is there any > documentation about this? > > Thanks in advance. > > Regards, > > > Marc van Dongen what does 'read-only pdf output' mean in this context? -- /daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address) Memoir and mh bundle maintainer LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq La...

USB ADSL modem
Hi all mobile surfers, I am toying with the idea of buying a USB ADSL modem to stick in the side of my Eee PC so that I can access the internet while away from home. I would probably go for a pay as you go contract. So what model and provider do folk recommend? I have seen an O_2 "Pay & Go" tariff with modem price GBP29.99 as follows: Daily: 500MB + Unlimited Wi Fi GBP2 Weekly: 1GB + Unlimited Wi Fi GBP7.50 Monthly: 3GB + Unlimited Wi Fi GBP15 Is the modem tied to one computer or could I use it in any computer? If one doesn't download films...

USB port is disabled
Dear all, after using a normal memory stick i got this error message when i start my system, (the stick is pluged out of course) : " Using to much power at the USB port - A USB decive is consuming to much power at the moment. The USB Hub (the port on my Macbook) will be deactivated. " One other memory stick is still working at that port. Any ideas to solve that problem? Thx in advance Johannes On 4 Okt., 09:14, Joe <Johannes.Schoen...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > after using a normal memory stick i got this error message when i > start my system, (the stick ...

USB
Has anyone here had any experience with USB serial port adapaters? Which ones work best with Linux? Any problems? tnx jk -- Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong. To reply to this message, replace everything to the left of "@" with james.knott. Hi, James Knott a �crit: > Has anyone here had any experience with USB serial port adapaters? Which Yes, an mct_u232. Model UC232A SN R9-200012AD0015 (made in ta�wan, of course ) I was searching a long time to make it work with the mct_u232 module, but it'doesn't work correctly. I now know why : simply load the pl23...

What is the correct placement for the \usepackage[pdftex]{hyperref}
All -- I appoloze for the extended code snipped. In example below it's the last line before the /begin{document} What I want is: Preface New Testament -Matthew -Mark -Luke -John But what I'm getting is: Preface |-New Testament |-Matthew |-Mark |-Luke |-John Thanks in advance, David ------------------- *.tex ----------------------------- \documentclass[10pt]{book} \fontfamily{times} \usepackage[papersize={5in,8in},text={4in,7in},margin=.5in,centering]{geometry} %\usepackage{multicol} \usepackage{graphics} %\setcounter{collectmore}{-1} \page...