PDFTEX on USB - portable

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

What is the most portable, least complicated version of PDFTEX I can run from a USB keyfob?
Ideally it should be a single file program and small.

				    - = -
	   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---
 [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
0
Reply vjp2 4/13/2008 8:02:24 PM

See related articles to this posting

<vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com> wrote:

> What is the most portable, least complicated version of PDFTEX I can run
> from a USB keyfob? Ideally it should be a single file program and small.

A useful TeX distribution contains thousands of files.

You'd need a custom filing system if you want to get all that in a
single file, I reckon.  And then you'd probably have to create a custom
TeX distro for yourself too.

But you might want to investigate an old version of CMacTeX, and think
about running it on an old Mac (but not too old - prior to the iMac,
Macs had no USB).  That'd probably give you something as simple as it's
going to get.

I'm thinking purely of `the simplest setup I can think of that I've ever
heard of' - to meet your spec of `least complicated' with no other
constraints to be considered.

Of course, if you want to have something to run on a particular kind of
computer, you'd better specify what kind of computer it is you're
interested in.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
                                            Sorry - the spam got to me

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> What is the most portable, least complicated version of PDFTEX I can run
> from a USB keyfob? Ideally it should be a single file program and small.

What OS?

You need a very recent version of pdftex that uses an embedded pool
file.  I have

pdfTeX 3.1415926-1.40.8-alpha-20080323-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.6)

which is 1.3GB (linux binary).  A Windows binary would be
larger, but there are ways to run compressed binaries, and you
could reduce the size if you don't need all the libraries.
Then you can only "place" pdf files (e.g., no support for png
images).

You do realize that pdftex typically relies on scads of fonts, macros,
etc., don't you?  A really minimal system would use plain tex configured
to use the Adobe base fonts, using pdftex without embedding.

--
George N. White III  <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>

0
Reply George 4/13/2008 10:52:58 PM
comp.text.pdf 5537 articles. 36 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

USB 1 with USB 2 external USB devices?
I notice some hardware (scanners, printers...) are advertised as having USB 2. I have a flat-panel iMac with USB 1. Is it possible to plug in a USB 2 device to one of my USB ports? Would it work (though presumably not as fast as if plugged into a USB 2 port? Alternatively, can the USB 1 be swapped out for a new USB 2 thingy? At all? Easily??? If these are silly questions, my apologies. I'm a non-techie throwback to the old SCSI days, and USB/Firewire leave me bamboozled, but I don't want to buy gear that won't work with my machine (and I don't have the funds to replace t...

All USB & only USB
We were kicking around some ideas today for low-performance embedded systems for quick and dirty solutions to simple tasks. We often throw a BasicX controller (http://www.basicx.com/) at such problems, which is fine until we need to communicate with the user; adding keypads, LCD displays, etc. is a bit of a PITA. So we started talking USB microcontrollers. Once you have a USB port, using USB keyboards, mice, 10-key keypads, etc. for input is a no brainer, but what of the display? A quick web search didn't turn up any obvious candidates. Then someone came up with the idea of using a U...

Ethernet over usb possible between usb host and usb client?
Hello! Is it possible to create a tcp/ip link over usb where one side is client and the other is host? I have usb-ethernet support in my kernel and can bring up the host usb device with ifconfig but not the client. -- Regards, Justin Todd Software Designer Argon Security Technologies Inc. ...

USB - internet
Hello Is anybody develop (or work with) connection USB - internet - USB connection?! I want read/write from USB and "simultanisly" transfer flow true internet to another computer.... -- Best regards, Joze ...

USB/USB devices
Hi, I'll show my ignorance and ask: Do USB devices work seamlessly on Macs and PCs (with USB ports)? Do USB mouses and USB keyboards just plug into a 800MHz 12in iBook? Where? (You'll see elsewhere I'm looking for a .pdf manual so I will then know what the various "plug-holes" - ports? - are for.) I've just got this machine and find the trackpad fiddly, similarly for the keyboard, so I was going to plug in the keyboard and mouse to overcome these concerns. Can I plug in a pair of speakers (again are USB speakers universal to Mac and PC)? How m...

What specification usb is in sgi 320 usb 1 or usb 2
looking at device connection using usb iceclown wrote: > looking at device connection using usb The SGI320 is too old for USB2. It has USB1 ports, which are not fully compatible with all USB devices... Better get an USB or USB2 PCI card... Benjamin thanks, come to think of it the fact it doesn't mention specification of usb port indicates early version ...

Connecting two HP50g by usb-usb or usb-serial or serial-serial
Hi I'am Manel, I wonder if connecting 2 hp50g's by USB-->SERIAL; SERIAL-->SERIAL is Posible. I have a adapter USB to SERIAL(HP) Thank you On 06/02/2010 18:13, MANELVC VC wrote: > Hi I'am Manel, > > I wonder if connecting 2 hp50g's by USB-->SERIAL; SERIAL-->SERIAL is > Posible. > > I have a adapter USB to SERIAL(HP) > > Thank you Serial to serial is possible and there is a special cable for this. Not sure how to order it from HP though. USB to USB is not possible - this is a limitation of the USB standard. -- Bruce Horrocks Surrey Eng...

USB to serial converter working ? and USB hubs attached to usb-serial converter
Hello, I have seen some references in the newgroups where people have shelled out some money for USB to rs-232 adapters/converters in order for their serial sensors (gps, other...) to be connected to the newly set of laptops that have no longer serial nor parallel outputs. Can any of you share his/her experience with a particularly bad piece of hardware and the type of the sensors it did not work with ? My own interest is to connect not one sensor, but two using the serial output (i.e. I have two sensors needing rs-232 output) I also have only 1 usb connection on that lapttop an...

difference usb and usb 2
Hello, I have a pc and a laptop. I know for sure that my laptop has usb2, but I don't really know if my pc has usb2. When I go to 'Device Manager' on my laptop or pc, I see nothing that tells me it's usb2. So I can't really know. Is there a way (a tool or so) to detect if I have usb2 on my pc? I already tried AIDA, but I can't find it. Crock, crocky wrote: > Hello, > > I have a pc and a laptop. > I know for sure that my laptop has usb2, > but I don't really know if my pc has usb2. > > When I go to 'Device Manager' on my laptop o...

Why is Motorola USB not Blackberry USB?
Is it true that one MUST use ONLY the EXACT USB charger that comes with their cell phone? Are USB chargers really not interchangable? The T-Mobile store told me I could only use their T-Mobile charger for my new USB based cellphone. After showing me the charger for the Motorola V195 which is 5.9 volts 375ma, they then opened a desk drawer and handed me three melted USB chargers, one at 5.0 volts, 750ma; another at 5.0 volts, 550 ma, and yet another at 5.2 volts 450 ma. Can we swap these supposedly USB chargers or not? - Blackberry TCPRIM2ULSSN 5.0vdc 750mA - Motorola PSM5037B ...