postscript

I'm working in Quark, and have a really large file, I want to print to
postscript then distill the file so that the pdf will be really small,
but from quark I do not have the 'save as .ps' option, only 'save as
pdf', which doesn't help when since it saves as a 40MB file. I want to
be able to email it. You can try reducing the file size all you want
in acrobat but it will only go down a few megs and the quality becomes
terrible. I need the printer descriptions either installed or turned
on so that I can print to postscript - how and where do I do this?

thanks
-C

In article <1172608848.375975.10040@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
cjstephens@hotmail.com says...

> I'm working in Quark, and have a really large file, I want to print to
> postscript then distill the file so that the pdf will be really small,
> but from quark I do not have the 'save as .ps' option, only 'save as
> pdf', which doesn't help when since it saves as a 40MB file. I want to
> be able to email it. You can try reducing the file size all you want
> in acrobat but it will only go down a few megs and the quality becomes
> terrible.

Sounds like you have an extremely complicated file, possibly with large
images or blends. Don't count on it getting very much smaller even when
you follow the path you describe.

> I need the printer descriptions either installed or turned
> on so that I can print to postscript - how and where do I do this?

Don't know much about Quark, and you haven't said which OS you are
using. However, it 'sounds' like Windows. In which case you need to
install a PostScript printer first. Once you've done that you 'may' be
able to save as PostScript but at worst you can set the printer to
'print to file' and print to it.

Note that if you have Acrobat installed you should already have a
PostScript printer installed which, when you print to it, will create a
PDF file directly using Distiller. If you want to do the conversion
manually, simply set the printer to 'print to file'.

			Ken
0
Ken