Prevent PDF from opening in Internet Explorer...again

For a few years there, the solution to PDFs opening in Internet Explorer wa=
s to set a preference in Adobe Acrobat itself.  I can no longer find this o=
ption.  Instead, Googling shows that the setting is now in the Manage Add-o=
ns facility within IE itself.  Unfortunately, I work in a "locked down" env=
ironment in the sense that users can't change these settings.  Is there any=
 other way to prevent PDFs from opening in IE?
0
paul

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:49:22 -0700 (PDT), paul.domaskis@gmail.com wrote:

> For a few years there, the solution to PDFs opening in Internet Explorer was to set a preference in Adobe Acrobat itself.  I can no longer find this option.  Instead, Googling shows that the setting is now in the Manage Add-ons facility within IE itself.  Unfortunately, I work in a "locked down" environment in the sense that users can't change these settings.  Is there any other way to prevent PDFs from opening in IE?

Often you can right-click a PDF link in IE and be shown other options. HTH.

Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
4/16/2015 11:54:24 PM
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 7:54:19 PM UTC-4, tlvp wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:49:22 -0700 (PDT), paul.domaskisATgmail.com
>wrote:
>> For a few years there, the solution to PDFs opening in Internet
>> Explorer was to set a preference in Adobe Acrobat itself.  I can no
>> longer find this option.  Instead, Googling shows that the setting
>> is now in the Manage Add-ons facility within IE itself.
>> Unfortunately, I work in a "locked down" environment in the sense
>> that users can't change these settings.  Is there any other way to
>> prevent PDFs from opening in IE?
>
> Often you can right-click a PDF link in IE and be shown other
> options. HTH.

Yes, you can open the properties, then mouse over and select all of
the URL.  I was hoping to find a solution that doesn't involve
click-mania, so that I can quickly search through many documents
online.  Adobe confirmed that this is not possible if the
Enable/Disable buttons are grayed out in Manage Add-ons.  I really
wonder what market they're designing for.  If it's for the corporate
environment, then the reality is that many accounts will have
restricted privileges.  I'm not sure if the graying out of the
aforementioned buttons is due to the *degree* of restriction.  If so,
and if it isn't automatically disallowed for all non-admin accounts,
then it would seem to be a reasonable design decision.  If it does
*not* depend on the degree of restrictions, and applies to all
non-admin accounts....well, I'm going to remain professional and not
say anything at all.
0
paul
4/24/2015 2:17:18 PM
paul.domaskis@gmail.com wrote:
> the reality is that many accounts will have restricted privileges.

True. But then I wonder, if they are restricted, would that not also
apply to the settings inside the reader, where this switch originally
resided?

Axel
0
Axel

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

PDF TO PDF/A
Hello, is it possible to convert a PDF file to PDFA file ? i tried the -dPDFA option and i vefy my pdf file with PDF longlife. I have an error. Thanks for help. ...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

PDF file displayed as text in Internet Explorer
Hi, I was using PERL cgi web interface to upload pdf file to my web server. However the uploaded pdf file will be displayed as text in Internet Explorer. This is demonstrated by the following 2 files. http://web.hku.hk/~chrisho/boats/chrisho.pdf (displayed as text file, it was uploaded through the cgi interface) http://web.hku.hk/~chrisho/boats/boat.pdf (displayed normally as pdf file, the original file) The file boat.pdf is the original pdf file and chrisho.pdf is the same file but uploaded through the cgi file. If I tried comparing the two files in UNIX using 'diff', the fo...

I cant open some pdf documents with Internet Explorer
Hello. I have a problem opening some of my pdf documents with Internet Explorer. When I open these pdf documents I see the ASCII code instead of the pdf document. I see something like this: ---------------------7d423034918%PDF-1.4 %���� 4 0 obj << /Linearized 1 /O 6 /H [ 593 152 ] /L 20758 /E 19322 /N 1 /T 20561 >> endobj xref ........ After some investigations, I discovered that the problem is in the header of the document. It doesn�t start with %PDF-1.4, like the header of the pdf documents that I see ok. It...

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

Convert PDF image to PDF text
Hi, I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? Thanx You will have to scan it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then create a PDF file. -- Don Vancouver, USA <WhiteLen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193737890.691267.165820@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the > text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? > > Thanx > Any recommendation for OCR application? ...

text opens as pdf
On an older desktop using Win98se and IE5.5 it insists upong opening online text documents as if they are PDF documents. Naturally Acrobat gives an error saying the file is not a PDF file. Upgrading to Acrobat 6.0 has made no difference. In Internet Explorer I haven't found any place where I can force it to open plain text files in Editpad, my default plain text program. When using Windows Explorer it shows text files properly and opens them in Editpad like it's supposed to, the attempt to open them as PDF documents occurs only in Internet Explorer. I'm pretty sure the problem...

Postscript to PDF with pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other
Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? On 14/04/2008, Sean Nakasone <seannakasone@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, > pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? ps2pdf is standard on any install of Ghostscript, at least on most flavours of Linux/BSD Farrel ...

convert PDF images to PDF text (OCR)
Hi, I have a book which was entirely scanned into a PDF, there are approximately 300 pages. The problem is that each page is an image of the paper page, not selectable text. How can I convert this PDF made of images to a text-selectable PDF? Or directly convert it to Word? I suppose I'll need some form of OCR. Thanks in advance, Raphael Yes, since you have an image, you need to OCR it into data. You will not have much luck with any formating info, but most OCR programs today to a pretty good job if the image is fairly clean . Larry T. larrynospam@nospamjbmsystems.com wrote in message...

How to save a edited PDF or opening pdf with other program
how is this done? thanks kevin You generally need Adobe Acrobat Standard or Professional for editing and saving PDF files. Depending on what you need to do, there are a few other options as well. Since Acrobat has limited editing capabilities, if you want to make major changes to your document, you might want to convert it to another format first. For example, you could convert it to a Word file with BCL Drake. A free demo is available from our website at http://www.bcltechnologies.com. If you want the end result to be a PDF, however, getting the full version of Acrobat might ultimately...

scanned image pdf to searchable text pdf
We have a lot of pdf files that are just scanned images of documents. How easy is it to change these into pdf's that we can search for specific words. I believe Adobe Acrobat Capture will do this when the document is originally scanned, but can it use pdf's that have already been created. If it can, can this process be automated to convert 100s of pdf files? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Acrobat Capture as it is not cheap for a large number of documents? I am new to this, so please keep it simple. Thanks for any help. Adrian HI, As you indicated, your pdf's are ...

Embedding PDF into PDF ?
I have read from websearching that it is possible to embed a smaller PDF into a main PDF, but cannot find out how this is done. Would I have to open the PDF as a text file and have my program locate a certain PDF command, then literally just stream the raw smaller PDF into it ? Any links or info would be very much aprpeciated Thanks Paul On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Paul Champan wrote: > I have read from websearching that it is possible to embed a smaller PDF > into a main PDF, but cannot find out how this is done. Do you want to merge 2 pdf files or "place" pdf files into a ...

pdf to dvi to pdf?
I need help with what seems to be a simple problem. I have a collection of pdf manuscript to submitt to a on-demand publisher. They want them to be: (1)6in x 9in with 1/2in margins allound (2) and embedded fonts. The problem is there are: (1) 8.5in x 11in with 1in margins (2) and the fonts aren't embedded. Perl pdf mod is one possibility, what would be involved with doing this with LaTex? I wanting to stay with open source solutions(Linux). TIA, David editor@deepmeanings.com (David Jackon) schrieb: > I need help with what seems to be a simple problem. > I have a collection of ...

Web resources about - Prevent PDF from opening in Internet Explorer...again - comp.text.pdf

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... government networks of local to global scope, linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies. The Internet ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Internets ", also known as " The Internets ", is a Bushism -turned- catchphrase used humorously to portray the speaker as ignorant about the ...

Internet Evolution - The Macrosite for News, Analysis, and Opinion about the Future of the Internet
The next big leap forward in the history of the Internet is happening now: Internet Evolution (www.internetevolution.com) is a Web 2.0 online ...

Pope Francis calls texts, internet, social media ‘gifts of God’
... communication is authentic,” said Pope Francis, “but rather the human heart and our capacity to use wisely the means at our disposal… the Internet ...

GOP senators want lower Internet speeds to qualify as “broadband“
(credit: Aurich Lawson / Thinkstock) A year after the Federal Communications Commission changed the definition of broadband Internet to include ...

SMEs and the Internet of Things
The Internet of Things is usually thought of in terms of its impact on consumers, but it has an impact on business users too. UK support company ...

"What's happening... is that she — through the internet and through video — is literally being verbally ...
"... of unfuckable hate-nerds. They play video games all day, then they watch MMA, then they spend the evening jerking off to deep-throat gag-porn, ...

IDG Contributor Network: Why the Internet of Things needs another ten years
I first wrote about the hype surrounding the Internet of Things in 2004. Back then, industry analysts predicted that tens of billions of things ...