Printing PDF documents from Visual BASIC

Is there any way I can control the printing of PDF documents from within
Visual BASIC 6.0?  I need to be able to control which network printers the
documents are printed on and I also need to specify which trays are used for
printing.

I know Adobe supply various SDKs, but do any of them control the printing of
PDFs in this way?

Thanks in advance

David
-------------------------------------

0
David

There's a component called XpdfPrint from Glyph and Cog that allows
you to do this. It's a COM component (.NET wrapper available too) that
allows you to:

* Query connected printers & bins
* Specify what printer/bin you wish to print to

This doesn't use Acrobat Reader to do the printing either, so it's a
very efficient solution.

I'd contact the guys at Glyph and Cog and request an evaluation
version.
www.glyphandcog.com

Chris.
___________________________________

Chris Dahl - CTO, Solutions
ARTS PDF
chris.dahl@artspdf.com
http://www.artspdf.com/

"David Crump" <eric.cartman@southpark.con> wrote in message news:<bksdsq$ee2$1@sparta.btinternet.com>...
> Is there any way I can control the printing of PDF documents from within
> Visual BASIC 6.0?  I need to be able to control which network printers the
> documents are printed on and I also need to specify which trays are used for
> printing.
>
> I know Adobe supply various SDKs, but do any of them control the printing of
> PDFs in this way?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> David
> -------------------------------------
0
chris
9/25/2003 12:49:50 AM
Thanks Chris

"Chris D" <chris.dahl@artspdf.com> wrote in message
> There's a component called XpdfPrint from Glyph and Cog that allows
> you to do this. It's a COM component (.NET wrapper available too) that
> allows you to:
>
> * Query connected printers & bins
> * Specify what printer/bin you wish to print to
>
> This doesn't use Acrobat Reader to do the printing either, so it's a
> very efficient solution.
>
> I'd contact the guys at Glyph and Cog and request an evaluation
> version.
> www.glyphandcog.com
>
> Chris.
> ___________________________________
>
> Chris Dahl - CTO, Solutions
> ARTS PDF
> chris.dahl@artspdf.com
> http://www.artspdf.com/
>
> "David Crump" <eric.cartman@southpark.con> wrote in message
> > Is there any way I can control the printing of PDF documents from within
> > Visual BASIC 6.0?  I need to be able to control which network printers
the
> > documents are printed on and I also need to specify which trays are used
for
> > printing.
> >
> > I know Adobe supply various SDKs, but do any of them control the
printing of
> > PDFs in this way?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > David

David
9/25/2003 7:25:44 AM
> There's a component called XpdfPrint from Glyph and Cog that allows

Hmm, at $5000 just to print a PDF document to a specific tray, it seems a
little bit overpriced!

Cheers, Rob.

0
Rob
9/30/2003 10:58:23 AM
Hello David,

Yes, you can control printing if you use WIN32 API DEVMODE structure.
This true whether you are printing PDF or any other document.

You definately do not need $5000 software.

You certainly need Don Appleman's book!

Pradip Shah
www.B2BeDocuments.com
Acrobat Consulting and PDF eForm Development
215-542-8383

"David Crump" <eric.cartman@southpark.con> wrote in message news:<bksdsq$ee2$1@sparta.btinternet.com>...
> Is there any way I can control the printing of PDF documents from within
> Visual BASIC 6.0?  I need to be able to control which network printers the
> documents are printed on and I also need to specify which trays are used for
> printing.
>
> I know Adobe supply various SDKs, but do any of them control the printing of
> PDFs in this way?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> David
> -------------------------------------
0
b2bedoc
10/1/2003 12:15:13 AM
Ok Pradip, show us your talent as a PDF Developer. Gives us a simple
example to get started using the Win32 api and the devmode struct.
Share and share alike.

Thanks

b2bedoc@consultant.com (Pradip Shah) wrote in message news:<40ad9529.0309301615.3f1ffbf6@posting.google.com>...
> Hello David,
>
> Yes, you can control printing if you use WIN32 API DEVMODE structure.
> This true whether you are printing PDF or any other document.
>
> You definately do not need $5000 software.
>
> You certainly need Don Appleman's book!
>
> Pradip Shah
> www.B2BeDocuments.com
> Acrobat Consulting and PDF eForm Development
> 215-542-8383
>

> "David Crump" <eric.cartman@southpark.con> wrote in message news:<bksdsq$ee2$1@sparta.btinternet.com>...
> > Is there any way I can control the printing of PDF documents from within
> > Visual BASIC 6.0?  I need to be able to control which network printers the
> > documents are printed on and I also need to specify which trays are used for
> > printing.
> >
> > I know Adobe supply various SDKs, but do any of them control the printing of
> > PDFs in this way?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > David
craigg
10/1/2003 2:24:54 PM
Hello Craig,

I will post the code in next few days.

Thanks.

craigg@gasullivan.com (craigg75) wrote in message news:<45b4c652.0310010624.76a22314@posting.google.com>...
> Ok Pradip, show us your talent as a PDF Developer. Gives us a simple
> example to get started using the Win32 api and the devmode struct.
> Share and share alike.
>
> Thanks
>

> b2bedoc@consultant.com (Pradip Shah) wrote in message news:<40ad9529.0309301615.3f1ffbf6@posting.google.com>...
> > Hello David,
> >
> > Yes, you can control printing if you use WIN32 API DEVMODE structure.
> > This true whether you are printing PDF or any other document.
> >
> > You definately do not need $5000 software.
> >
> > You certainly need Don Appleman's book!
> >
> > Pradip Shah
> > www.B2BeDocuments.com
> > Acrobat Consulting and PDF eForm Development
> > 215-542-8383
> >

> > "David Crump" <eric.cartman@southpark.con> wrote in message news:<bksdsq$ee2$1@sparta.btinternet.com>...
> > > Is there any way I can control the printing of PDF documents from within
> > > Visual BASIC 6.0?  I need to be able to control which network printers the
> > > documents are printed on and I also need to specify which trays are used for
> > > printing.
> > >
> > > I know Adobe supply various SDKs, but do any of them control the printing of
> > > PDFs in this way?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > David
b2bedoc
10/1/2003 9:01:06 PM
Thanks Pradip,
we have Dan Appleman's book and have decided that global changes to the
printer in this way would be too dangerous to implement, although if we
cannot find any other solution this is going to have to be the path we are
going to take.

Dave

"Pradip Shah" <b2bedoc@consultant.com> wrote in message
> Hello David,
>
> Yes, you can control printing if you use WIN32 API DEVMODE structure.
> This true whether you are printing PDF or any other document.
>
> You definately do not need $5000 software.
>
> You certainly need Don Appleman's book!
>
> Pradip Shah
> www.B2BeDocuments.com
> Acrobat Consulting and PDF eForm Development
> 215-542-8383
>

> "David Crump" <eric.cartman@southpark.con> wrote in message
> > Is there any way I can control the printing of PDF documents from within
> > Visual BASIC 6.0?  I need to be able to control which network printers
the
> > documents are printed on and I also need to specify which trays are used
for
> > printing.
> >
> > I know Adobe supply various SDKs, but do any of them control the
printing of
> > PDFs in this way?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > David