ps fine but pdf scrambled

Dear Group,

I have the following problem with generating pdf document from a dvi using
dvipdf:

dvips: Font cmr17 at 9602 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Such scaling will generate extremely poor output.
dvips: Font cmr12 at 9600 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Font cmcsc10 at 11520 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Font cmr12 at 8000 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Font cmmi12 at 8000 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Font cmti12 at 8000 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Font cmbx10 at 8000 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Font cmr10 at 8000 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Font cmmi10 at 8000 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Font cmsy10 at 8000 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Font cmr7 at 8000 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Font cmbx12 at 11520 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Font cmbx12 at 8000 not found; scaling 600 instead.

Fonts are obviously missing, but in my understanding, I have the cmr (and
others) families installed with TeX and I'd thought METAFONT would generate
automatically the fonts needed, so I don't know why the complaint when
generating pdf and how to fix it. However the output is fine when printed
(and of course ugly on the screen) so this is not too much of an
inconvenient.

More seriously, dvips works fine, it generates nice ps output and so on.
Also I observe that although I call "dvipdf", this is dvips which returns
the problem. And finally, the more puzzling and serious problem, the ps
file is made exactly as it appears on the dvi, but the pdf is cropping the
result by shifting all the content upwards, with first line very close if
not tangent to the top in default LaTeX geometry, and out of the page if I
have redefined the geometry or kerned up the output.

Any comments or suggestions to fix these would be much appreciated.
I am running debian, all things have been installed with apt-get.

Best,

Fabrice.