Dieter Britz
0
Dieter

On 2016-04-12, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I tell pdflatex to allow sticky notes somehow? it
> must be some property or attribute of the pdf files
> that either allows or disallows these, and I'd like to
> have control of it.

pdflatex itself can't do it, but pdftk can.
0
Julian
4/12/2016 3:08:16 PM
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 15:08:16 +0000, Julian Bradfield wrote:

> On 2016-04-12, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can I tell pdflatex to allow sticky notes somehow? it must be some
>> property or attribute of the pdf files that either allows or disallows
>> these, and I'd like to have control of it.
>
> pdflatex itself can't do it, but pdftk can.

What option is that? I don't find it in the man file.

--
Dieter Britz
0
On 2016-04-14, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 15:08:16 +0000, Julian Bradfield wrote:
>
>> On 2016-04-12, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can I tell pdflatex to allow sticky notes somehow? it must be some
>>> property or attribute of the pdf files that either allows or disallows
>>> these, and I'd like to have control of it.
>>
>> pdflatex itself can't do it, but pdftk can.
>
> What option is that? I don't find it in the man file.

Quoting from the man page:

       [allow <permissions>]
              Permissions are applied to the output PDF only if an encryption
              strength is specified or an owner or user password is given.  If
              permissions are not specified, they default to 'none,' which
              means all of the following features are disabled.

              The permissions section may include one or more of the following
              features:

              ModifyAnnotations
                     Also allows FillIn

Julian
4/14/2016 8:46:45 AM
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 08:46:45 +0000, Julian Bradfield wrote:

> On 2016-04-14, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> pdflatex itself can't do it, but pdftk can.
>>
>> What option is that? I don't find it in the man file.
>>

> Quoting from the man page:
>
>        [allow <permissions>]
>               Permissions are applied to the output PDF only if an
>               encryption strength is specified or an owner or user
>               password is given.  If permissions are not specified, they
>               default to 'none,' which means all of the following
>               features are disabled.
>
>               The permissions section may include one or more of the
>               following features:

>               ModifyAnnotations
>                      Also allows FillIn

OK, that seems promising. But I can't work out how to
phrase that. I have the file p1.pdf and tried to modify it,
and here is the dialogue:

 ~> pdftk allow ModifyAnnotations p1.pdf output P1.pdf
Error: Unexpected command-line data:
      allow
   where we were expecting an input PDF filename,
   operation (e.g. "cat") or "input_pw".  Exiting.
Errors encountered.  No output created.
Done.  Input errors, so no output created.

Where should the allow option go?
--
Dieter Britz
0
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 07:50:52 +0000, Dieter Britz wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 08:46:45 +0000, Julian Bradfield wrote:

>>> What option is that? I don't find it in the man file.
>>>

>> Quoting from the man page:
>>
>>        [allow <permissions>]
>>               Permissions are applied to the output PDF only if an
>>               encryption strength is specified or an owner or user
>>               password is given.  If permissions are not specified,
>>               they default to 'none,' which means all of the following
>>               features are disabled.
>>
>>               The permissions section may include one or more of the
>>               following features:

>>               ModifyAnnotations
>>                      Also allows FillIn

> OK, that seems promising. But I can't work out how to phrase that. I
> have the file p1.pdf and tried to modify it,
> and here is the dialogue:
>
>  ~> pdftk allow ModifyAnnotations p1.pdf output P1.pdf
> Error: Unexpected command-line data:
>       allow
>    where we were expecting an input PDF filename, operation (e.g. "cat")
>    or "input_pw".  Exiting.
> Errors encountered.  No output created.
> Done.  Input errors, so no output created.
>
> Where should the allow option go?

pdftk wants the file first, then options.
0
Joe
4/15/2016 1:57:40 PM
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:57:40 +0000, Joe Beanfish wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 07:50:52 +0000, Dieter Britz wrote:

>>> Quoting from the man page:
>>>
>>>        [allow <permissions>]
>>>               Permissions are applied to the output PDF only if an
>>>               encryption strength is specified or an owner or user
>>>               password is given.  If permissions are not specified,
>>>               they default to 'none,' which means all of the following
>>>               features are disabled.
>>>
>>>               The permissions section may include one or more of the
>>>               following features:

>>>               ModifyAnnotations
>>>                      Also allows FillIn

>> OK, that seems promising. But I can't work out how to phrase that. I
>> have the file p1.pdf and tried to modify it,
>> and here is the dialogue:
>>
>>  ~> pdftk allow ModifyAnnotations p1.pdf output P1.pdf
>> Error: Unexpected command-line data:
>>       allow
>>    where we were expecting an input PDF filename, operation (e.g.
>>    "cat")
>>    or "input_pw".  Exiting.
>> Errors encountered.  No output created.
>> Done.  Input errors, so no output created.
>>
>> Where should the allow option go?
>
> pdftk wants the file first, then options.

I tried that:

 ~> pdftk forslag.pdf allow ModifyAnnotations output new.pdf
Error: Unexpected command-line data:
      allow
   where we were expecting an input PDF filename,
   operation (e.g. "cat") or "input_pw".  Exiting.
Errors encountered.  No output created.
Done.  Input errors, so no output created.

Still no sausage. Exactly what should I type in?

--
Dieter Britz
0
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 16:02:03 -0000 (UTC), Dieter Britz wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:57:40 +0000, Joe Beanfish wrote:

>>> OK, that seems promising. But I can't work out how to phrase that. I
>>> have the file p1.pdf and tried to modify it,
>>> and here is the dialogue:
>>>
>>>  ~> pdftk allow ModifyAnnotations p1.pdf output P1.pdf
>>> Error: Unexpected command-line data:
>>>       allow
>>>    where we were expecting an input PDF filename, operation (e.g.
>>>    "cat")
>>>    or "input_pw".  Exiting.
>>> Errors encountered.  No output created.
>>> Done.  Input errors, so no output created.
>>>
>>> Where should the allow option go?
>>
>> pdftk wants the file first, then options.
>
> I tried that:
>
>  ~> pdftk forslag.pdf allow ModifyAnnotations output new.pdf
> Error: Unexpected command-line data:
>       allow
>    where we were expecting an input PDF filename,
>    operation (e.g. "cat") or "input_pw".  Exiting.
> Errors encountered.  No output created.
> Done.  Input errors, so no output created.
>
> Still no sausage. Exactly what should I type in?

Is your input pdf one for which "an encryption strength is specified" ?
Alternatively, is it one for which "an owner or user password is given" ?

As I read the reference materials you included above, one or the other is a
necessary Gewürz for the Wurst you're trying to erzeug :-) .

HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

tlvp