Substitute fonts in existing PDF file

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I've got a PDF file on my hands, that uses Type 3 fonts. Rendering this
document takes a heavy toll on any viewer that I've tried. Is there a way
to substitute all occurences of these fonts with equivalent say Type 1
fonts? I don't have the original sources for this document, so I can't
regenerate it.

Thanks in advance.

Igor
0
Reply Igor 1/24/2004 3:32:31 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.text.pdf 5565 articles. 36 followers. Post

Font Substitution when printing pdf files
We print client-supplied pdf files, and have problems with missing fonts. The clients are not very knowledgeable nor particular, and they do not always embed their fonts. When they view or print them (using File:Print), Acrobat substitutes the default Acrobat Serif or Sans Serif font. Clients either can't tell the difference, or don't care. However, when we send these files on our genuine Adobe PS3 production printers, the jobs fail with a "font not found" message. Our site policy, as is the general practice, is to fail jobs when the required font is not available. ...

Creating PDF Files with embedded (substituted) fonts...
Given: PDF files with several non-included fonts. The PDFs are displayed and printed correctly, because the missing fonts are temporarely substituted. Problem: Distilling the PDFs with Option "embed all fonts" does not work, because I have not all fonts installed on my computer Wanted: A tool that permanently substitutes the missing fonts to its best effort and then creates a PDF with all fonts embedded Who knows how to achieve this? I have a Windows and a Linux computer. I would prefer a free solution, but could also pay a moderate price for a tool. Best regards, Pete ...

Font substitution problem while generating pdf file
Hello, I am writing a grant proposal with some rather strict font requirements: * Only size 12 sans serif fonts should be used throuhout the document. * The Characters Per Inch (CPI) should not exceed 15. I can generate a postscript file that satisfies these requirements by using the following code in the document: \documentclass[12pt]{article} \renewcommand{\familydefault}{cmss} However when I tried generating the pdf file, the main document font is substituted and the new font is a tiny bit smaller than cmss, and gives a CPI of 16, which will result in the grant proposal being administra...

pdf::writer
Sorry to ask here, I could not figure it out from Google chasing. Can it do other operations on PDF files e.g. delete pages, insert pages, etc.? Thanks. On 11/2/05, itsme213 <itsme213@hotmail.com> wrote: > Sorry to ask here, I could not figure it out from Google chasing. > > Can it do other operations on PDF files e.g. delete pages, insert pages, > etc.? No. Sometime next year. -austin -- Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca ...

How to convert this ps file to a pdf file w/ searchable text? (pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file)
I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there is any other way to generate a searchable pdf file? $pkfix-helper 0375.ps Reading 0375.ps ... done. Number of Type 3 fonts encountered: 0 pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file On May 13, 10:45=A0pm, Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> wrote: > I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. > But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there > is any other way to generate a searchab...

Write to text file. Append to existing file. Create file if file doesn't exist.
Hi folks, &nbsp; up to LabVIEW 7 there was a wonderful "Write to Text&nbsp;File" vi which allowed the option "Append to File". Now, in LabVIEW 8, this old vi is not longer supported anymore. Instead, I am suggested to use a new "Write to Text File" vi. This vi does not offer the option "Append to File" anymore. Rather it is proposed in the online help that one should use the "Set File Position" in order to append text to the file. This much less straightforward than the old solution. Furthermore, I miss an option which would create the ...

PDF::Create (or alike) to create watermark for existing pdf file?
Dear perl-ists: I tried out PDF::Create 0.01 (from cpan), and it is great. kudos, fabian. creates wonderful, clean, small valid pdf output. my only complaint is that its numbering system. on cpan, it seems to be 0.01 ever since 1999? ;-) alas, my need is slightly more complex. I need to underlay an already existing pdf file that was created by pdftex with a page that I can now create with PDF::Create (or some other program). that is, the latter should become the background ("watermark") for the former. to re-pdftex the former would simply take too long, so a personalized ...

A PDF into a FM file then save as pdf... how to have alll the pages of the included pdf file
FM 7.2 We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the firts page of the pdf imported. Is there a method to import a pdf file and force FM to generate a pdf file with save as... with the complete pdf file inserted into the padf ? > We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then > when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the > firts page of the pdf imported. > > Is there a method to import a pdf file...

Replacing Type 3 fonts with Type 1 fonts in PDF files
Dear people, I have some documents that were produced with (La)TeX quite some time ago. Unfortunately, some of them use the Computer Modern fonts in low resolution (say, embedded with 300dpi) and, to make matters worse, some of the documents I have have already been converted from PS to PDF with the use of ps2pdf (which calls ghostscript as an auxiliary program). I do know that Heiko has a program called pkfix (which is a Perl script) to operate on PS files for substitution of the bitmapped fonts with scalable fonts, but it unfortunately doesn't work for documents created with some early...

adobe professional extract character set fonts from pdf to edit pdf file
Having spent $400 on Adobe 'professional' edition, I cannot edit a simple PDF document without purchasing a whole lot of type from the adobe store that could easily cost $1,000. There must be some catch here! How is it that I can purchase Adobe Photoshop and not have to buy additional Pantone colours (because they are all included in the program) and yet I am forced to buy fonts in order to edit pdf documents? The Adobe 'Profesional' program is sold on the basis that I can use it to edit pdf documents, but Adobe conceals the fact that before I can use the program for editing...

Merge pdf files into one pdf file
Hi I am looking for a script that can automatically merge a serie of 'pdf' files into one 'pdf' file. I know about the "Insert pdf file" option in adobe, but I have about 30 'pdf' files, and need a more automatic solution. Today I am merging several "ps" files into one "pdf" file by using the script below. Is there a similar script for pdf files. Any software that solves this? Any help is appreciated! Gisle Rong Script: %! % PostScript program for distilling and combining multiple PostScript files. % When embedding font subsets, it is ...

split one pdf file into multiple pdf files
Hi I am in urgent need of code for spliting one pdf file into multiple pdf files based on a particular condition. An guidance going about writing code for this problem would be really helpful. Thanks, Suparana Hi, What are the particular conditions you need for splitting. There are a number of third party solutions, but most will split on page or file names. If you had the source of the PDF files, I could show you how my OctoTools could produce the output already split, on just about ANY criteria, but doing it with existing pdf's could be tricky. Another way to approach your problem i...

2 pdf-files > 1 pdf-file
Hello, I use Photoshop Lite or CutePDF to scan documents to pdf. What to do if documents are spread out over 2 or more A4's? How can I scan this to just 1 pdf-file? Peter You should use only ADOBE ACROBAT software. "PeterS" <pghscholtes@home.nl> wrote in message news:bk20l8$lom$1@news3.tilbu1.nb.home.nl... > Hello, > > I use Photoshop Lite or CutePDF to scan documents to pdf. What to do if > documents are spread out over 2 or more A4's? How can I scan this to > just 1 pdf-file? > > Peter > ...

How to: split 1 pdf file to 2 pdf files?
I have a problem with a file that I retrieve off www.catholic-forum.com/bulletins/511.pdf . Once each month they create the 511.pdf file with an attached Parish Calendar page. The Parish Bulletin page is in 'Portrait' sizing while the attached Parish Calendar page is in 'Landscape'. I try to retrieve this one file and using Frontpage on my PC attempt to publish the pdf file to my online web. I do NOT want the online web User to have to scroll to the left to see the Bulletin or the Calendar. I have Acrobat Reader 7.0 on my PC and would like to save the www.catholic-forum....

Batch converting of PDF files into searchable PDF files
Hello Group We need to convert about 500 multipage non-searchable PDF files into searchable PDF files. The original PDFs just contain the scanned documents and we plan to run them through an OCR program which will afterwards save them back in the PDF format. It seems that Omnipage 12 Pro Office edition would be able to do the job but Omnipage 12 Standard, which is much less expensive, seems to have many of the same features. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a resource which lists the exact differences between the two programs. For now we'd require only one or two licences...

Is file a font file?
How can detect a file without extension is font file or not in cocoa? or any other I tried with CFStringRef fontNam=CFStringCreateWithCString(NULL,[getfile UTF8String],kCFStringEncodingMacRoman); ATSFontRef frefarr= ATSFontFindFromName((CFStringRef)[getArray objectAtIndex:rowcount] ,kATSOptionFlagsDefault); But frefarr gets nil any thing wrong please help, with thanks Excuse my language. Yabber <eyabber@gmail.com> wrote: > How can detect a file without extension is font file or not in cocoa? > > or any other > I tried with > > CFStringRef...

split one pdf file into multiple pdf files #2
Hi I am in urgent need of code for spliting one pdf file into multiple pdf files based on a particular condition. Guidance of how to go about writing the code for this problem would really helpful. Thanks, Suparana ...

Embedding fonts in an existing PDF
Hello all, I'm wondering how to embed fronts into an existing PDF file. I've received a PDF file, which uses Asian fonts without embedding them. I can view this file because I've installed Asian fonts to my Adobe Reader 7.0.1, but my colleagues can't. Rather than recommending them to install Asian fonts, I'd like to embed fonts into the file for them. Is it possible? I can see potential legal issues. But, technically? I'm using a Debian GNU/Linux system. I have also access to Windows and MacOS X machines. (But, I don't want to buy Distiller only for this purp...

How print a pdf file on both sides of a paper(Duplexing for pdf files)
Hi All, Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a papers. Thanks in advance. krishnapalvadi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a > papers. > Thanks in advance. > Do you have a duplex printer? krishnapalvadi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a > papers. > Thanks in advance. The same way that you would print any other document on both sides of the paper. You select duplex output in your printer driver properties. Presuma...

Embedding Fonts Into PDF Files
Hi People, I've read at least two articles (that disagree) on the magic incantations to get dvips and ps2pdf to embed type 1 fonts into the final pdf file. If someone could point me to the latest, most authoritative source on how this is done, I would appreciate it. --Randy Yates See the psfonts.map page in the dvips info file. It should be on your computer (I usually view it in Emacs with M-x info<CR>mdvips<CR>) or try <http://www.math.psu.edu/bin/info2www?(dvips.info)psfonts.map>. -Sanjoy `Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.' ...

Embedded fonts in PDF files
Hello everyone, is there a tool to either * extract embedded fonts from PDF files and install them, or * vectorize a text from a PDF file, written there in a font not installed on the system? I need this for the inscription of a model railway car; I have the original inscription as a PDF with an embedded font which I don't have on my system so I can't use it in Adobe Illustrator or similar software. Thank you and best greetings tobi tobias b koehler wrote: > Hello everyone, > > is there a tool to either > * extract embedded fonts from PDF files and install them, or...

font problem in pdf file
I recently made a pdf file of some sheet music (instead of sending them a file for an obscure application) so that I could be sure that the receipients would be able to read it. But they all had a font problem and the pdf was jibberish to them. I thought the whole point of the pdf format was to create a universally readable file. Is there a way that I can make this true, short of becoming an expert in fonts and applications? Thanks for any advice, Susan Sax Maam wrote: > I recently made a pdf file of some sheet music (instead of sending them > a file for an obscure applicatio...

Embed all fonts into a PDF File
I have received several PDF files and glued them togeter using an automated tool. Some of them use non-embedded fonts, such as "Times Roman" which I don't have installed on my computer but which are pretty well substituted by "Times New Roman" when printing. In order to fulfill the printer's requirements, I have to embed all fonts. Fonts like "Times Roman" should be permanently substituted and included as "Times New Roman". How do to that? I have Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0 on my Windows PC and access to a Linux PC. Thanx for your hel...

how embedde fonts in pdf file?
HELLO THERE, please i need to know,how embedde fonts in pdf file? I sent my paper (pdf file) to one of conferences ,but they replied to me : "Publishers require that PDF font are embedded so that documents can be printed everywhere; one or more of your document fonts are not embedded" how do that? thanks, huda Almamory wrote: > HELLO THERE, > > please i need to know,how embedde fonts in pdf file? > > I sent my paper (pdf file) to one of conferences ,but they replied to > me : > > "Publishers require that PDF font are embedded so that documents ...