Substitute fonts in existing PDF file

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I've got a PDF file on my hands, that uses Type 3 fonts. Rendering this
document takes a heavy toll on any viewer that I've tried. Is there a way
to substitute all occurences of these fonts with equivalent say Type 1
fonts? I don't have the original sources for this document, so I can't
regenerate it.

Thanks in advance.

Igor
0
Reply Igor 1/24/2004 3:32:31 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.text.pdf 5551 articles. 36 followers. Post

Font Substitution when printing pdf files
We print client-supplied pdf files, and have problems with missing fonts. The clients are not very knowledgeable nor particular, and they do not always embed their fonts. When they view or print them (using File:Print), Acrobat substitutes the default Acrobat Serif or Sans Serif font. Clients either can't tell the difference, or don't care. However, when we send these files on our genuine Adobe PS3 production printers, the jobs fail with a "font not found" message. Our site policy, as is the general practice, is to fail jobs when the required font is not available. ...

Creating PDF Files with embedded (substituted) fonts...
Given: PDF files with several non-included fonts. The PDFs are displayed and printed correctly, because the missing fonts are temporarely substituted. Problem: Distilling the PDFs with Option "embed all fonts" does not work, because I have not all fonts installed on my computer Wanted: A tool that permanently substitutes the missing fonts to its best effort and then creates a PDF with all fonts embedded Who knows how to achieve this? I have a Windows and a Linux computer. I would prefer a free solution, but could also pay a moderate price for a tool. Best regards, Pete ...

Font substitution problem while generating pdf file
Hello, I am writing a grant proposal with some rather strict font requirements: * Only size 12 sans serif fonts should be used throuhout the document. * The Characters Per Inch (CPI) should not exceed 15. I can generate a postscript file that satisfies these requirements by using the following code in the document: \documentclass[12pt]{article} \renewcommand{\familydefault}{cmss} However when I tried generating the pdf file, the main document font is substituted and the new font is a tiny bit smaller than cmss, and gives a CPI of 16, which will result in the grant proposal being administra...

pdf::writer
Sorry to ask here, I could not figure it out from Google chasing. Can it do other operations on PDF files e.g. delete pages, insert pages, etc.? Thanks. On 11/2/05, itsme213 <itsme213@hotmail.com> wrote: > Sorry to ask here, I could not figure it out from Google chasing. > > Can it do other operations on PDF files e.g. delete pages, insert pages, > etc.? No. Sometime next year. -austin -- Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca ...

How to convert this ps file to a pdf file w/ searchable text? (pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file)
I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there is any other way to generate a searchable pdf file? $pkfix-helper 0375.ps Reading 0375.ps ... done. Number of Type 3 fonts encountered: 0 pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file On May 13, 10:45=A0pm, Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> wrote: > I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. > But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there > is any other way to generate a searchab...

PDF::Create (or alike) to create watermark for existing pdf file?
Dear perl-ists: I tried out PDF::Create 0.01 (from cpan), and it is great. kudos, fabian. creates wonderful, clean, small valid pdf output. my only complaint is that its numbering system. on cpan, it seems to be 0.01 ever since 1999? ;-) alas, my need is slightly more complex. I need to underlay an already existing pdf file that was created by pdftex with a page that I can now create with PDF::Create (or some other program). that is, the latter should become the background ("watermark") for the former. to re-pdftex the former would simply take too long, so a personalized ...

Replacing Type 3 fonts with Type 1 fonts in PDF files
Dear people, I have some documents that were produced with (La)TeX quite some time ago. Unfortunately, some of them use the Computer Modern fonts in low resolution (say, embedded with 300dpi) and, to make matters worse, some of the documents I have have already been converted from PS to PDF with the use of ps2pdf (which calls ghostscript as an auxiliary program). I do know that Heiko has a program called pkfix (which is a Perl script) to operate on PS files for substitution of the bitmapped fonts with scalable fonts, but it unfortunately doesn't work for documents created with some early...

adobe professional extract character set fonts from pdf to edit pdf file
Having spent $400 on Adobe 'professional' edition, I cannot edit a simple PDF document without purchasing a whole lot of type from the adobe store that could easily cost $1,000. There must be some catch here! How is it that I can purchase Adobe Photoshop and not have to buy additional Pantone colours (because they are all included in the program) and yet I am forced to buy fonts in order to edit pdf documents? The Adobe 'Profesional' program is sold on the basis that I can use it to edit pdf documents, but Adobe conceals the fact that before I can use the program for editing...

Embedding fonts in an existing PDF
Hello all, I'm wondering how to embed fronts into an existing PDF file. I've received a PDF file, which uses Asian fonts without embedding them. I can view this file because I've installed Asian fonts to my Adobe Reader 7.0.1, but my colleagues can't. Rather than recommending them to install Asian fonts, I'd like to embed fonts into the file for them. Is it possible? I can see potential legal issues. But, technically? I'm using a Debian GNU/Linux system. I have also access to Windows and MacOS X machines. (But, I don't want to buy Distiller only for this purp...

Embedding Fonts Into PDF Files
Hi People, I've read at least two articles (that disagree) on the magic incantations to get dvips and ps2pdf to embed type 1 fonts into the final pdf file. If someone could point me to the latest, most authoritative source on how this is done, I would appreciate it. --Randy Yates See the psfonts.map page in the dvips info file. It should be on your computer (I usually view it in Emacs with M-x info<CR>mdvips<CR>) or try <http://www.math.psu.edu/bin/info2www?(dvips.info)psfonts.map>. -Sanjoy `Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.' ...

Embedded fonts in PDF files
Hello everyone, is there a tool to either * extract embedded fonts from PDF files and install them, or * vectorize a text from a PDF file, written there in a font not installed on the system? I need this for the inscription of a model railway car; I have the original inscription as a PDF with an embedded font which I don't have on my system so I can't use it in Adobe Illustrator or similar software. Thank you and best greetings tobi tobias b koehler wrote: > Hello everyone, > > is there a tool to either > * extract embedded fonts from PDF files and install them, or...

font problem in pdf file
I recently made a pdf file of some sheet music (instead of sending them a file for an obscure application) so that I could be sure that the receipients would be able to read it. But they all had a font problem and the pdf was jibberish to them. I thought the whole point of the pdf format was to create a universally readable file. Is there a way that I can make this true, short of becoming an expert in fonts and applications? Thanks for any advice, Susan Sax Maam wrote: > I recently made a pdf file of some sheet music (instead of sending them > a file for an obscure applicatio...

Embed all fonts into a PDF File
I have received several PDF files and glued them togeter using an automated tool. Some of them use non-embedded fonts, such as "Times Roman" which I don't have installed on my computer but which are pretty well substituted by "Times New Roman" when printing. In order to fulfill the printer's requirements, I have to embed all fonts. Fonts like "Times Roman" should be permanently substituted and included as "Times New Roman". How do to that? I have Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0 on my Windows PC and access to a Linux PC. Thanx for your hel...

how embedde fonts in pdf file?
HELLO THERE, please i need to know,how embedde fonts in pdf file? I sent my paper (pdf file) to one of conferences ,but they replied to me : "Publishers require that PDF font are embedded so that documents can be printed everywhere; one or more of your document fonts are not embedded" how do that? thanks, huda Almamory wrote: > HELLO THERE, > > please i need to know,how embedde fonts in pdf file? > > I sent my paper (pdf file) to one of conferences ,but they replied to > me : > > "Publishers require that PDF font are embedded so that documents ...

Fonts extracted from PDF files
Hello All- A while back I downloaded a PDF file explaining how, through a text editing program, one could copy a portion of the PDF file code containing the embedded font, save that as text, and open the embedded font in Fontgrapher. Could anyone post this information or point me in the right direction? As I am in Thailand I am using this Google posting. Should anyone care to send directly, please send to the address below: dmorton@asiapacificms.com Many thanks Doug Doug wrote: > A while back I downloaded a PDF file explaining how, through a text > editing program, one could cop...

output to an existing pdf file
Dear SAS users, I wrote a macro to record the sas output to an external pdf file. And this macro will be invoked whitin a data set. The following is the peudo codes: data test; input a1 a2 a3; cards; ...... ; run; data _null_; set test; call execute('%summary(a1='||a1||',a2='||a2||',a3='||a3||')'); run; %macro summary(a1=, a2=, a3=); filename report "filelocation"; ods pdf file = report; proc print....; .... ods pdf close; %mend; All I get is the result for the last set of data. The previous results are overwritten by the last one. I know that o...

font embedded in pdf file
Dear All, In a pdf file (generated from a Y&Y dvi file with help of dvipsone-- >Acrobat Distillr-->PDF), all the fonts are "Embedded Subset" only. But I need only "Embedded" not "Embedded Subset". Is there any possibility to meet my requirement?? Thanks, Saravanan,M. TeX_Saravanan <Saravanan_Typesetter@yahoo.co.in> writes: >In a pdf file (generated from a Y&Y dvi file with help of dvipsone-- >>Acrobat Distillr-->PDF), all the fonts are "Embedded Subset" only. >But I need only "Embedded" not "Embedded ...

extracting fonts from pdf files
hi, is it possible extracting embedded fonts from the pdf files? PeP wrote: > hi, > is it possible extracting embedded fonts from the pdf files? Yes, BUT. Type 1 files retain NONE of their metrics, kerning, etc. It requires a program like FontLab, and either Acrobat Reader 3.x (easy) or full Acrobat 4 or 5 (effort required). I don't think Acrobat 6 can be used. Any font so extracted should be isolated from the gene pool so that its imperfections and quality loss aren't publicly available. At the very lease, the FONT NAME should be changed to avoid technical confusion. ...

export fonts from pdf file
I have PDF document with embedded fonts. One of these fonts is special font with pictograms. Is there any way to export TTF/T1 font from PDF to a TTF/PFB+PFM file? Or is there any way to export used characters to some vector format? RGA <rga@centrum.cz> wrote: >Is there any way to export TTF/T1 font from PDF to a TTF/PFB+PFM file? It is not technically impossible, but I don't think that there exists software to do this. The people who make and sell fonts really do not want such software to exist. ---------------------------------------- Aandi Inston Please support usenet! Pos...

Substitute substrings in a pdf file
Hi, As part of my build process, I need to substitute some substrings in a pdf file and save the resulting file with a differetn name. What's the best way to this programatically? I tried opening the pdf file in a text editor, but unlike postscript, it seems to be compressed or something. What's the easiest way of doing this? Boogie El Aceitoso <frr149@telefonica.net> wrote: >As part of my build process, I need to substitute some substrings in a pdf >file and save the resulting file with a differetn name. What's the best way >to this programatically? There is...

How to embed all fonts in a pdf file?
Hi all, I want to use the Helvetica typeface, but there are some problems when I want to compile the TeX file to pdf. If I use PDF(La)TeX, the Helvetica cannot be embedded, thus Arial will be used under Windows using Adobe Acrobat. If I use dvipdfm, the same thing happens. It seems that the only way is to use dvips and distiller, which the typeface can be embedded successfully, but pdf bookmarks, hyperrefs don't work in this condition. I read the documents of pdfTeX and dvipdfm, but haven't found a way to achieve this. Regards, "John Ho" <ts_hayes@sjtu.edu.cn> schr...

deleting fonts from pdf file
I'm looking for a tool (linux command line if possible) to delete fonts from pdf files. I have to backup a daily newsletter, received by mail, with fonts embedded, so every day I save the same fonts with the pdf file. Emmanuel Bataille <bem_at_residents_dot_frmug_dot_org> wrote in message news:<nl08q0hmc3uonq0raomj31cbf5nt72gsub@4ax.com>... > I'm looking for a tool (linux command line if possible) to delete fonts from > pdf files. I have to backup a daily newsletter, received by mail, with fonts > embedded, so every day I save the same fonts with the pdf file. If...

Fonts embedded in pdf file
Dear Friends: I'm generating some files using pdfLaTeX that are being professionally printed and prepared. I have been notified by the printer that the fonts used in the pdf file must be embedded in the file itself. This is unfamiliar territory to me. Has anyone dealt with this before? If so, is there a way to deal with this in tex, or is this an adobe issue? Thanks for any help, Harold Miktex Windows XP On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:29:34 +0200, <hdoran@air.org> wrote: > Dear Friends: > > I'm generating some files using pdfLaTeX that are being professionally > printe...

subsetting fonts in pdf-file
I have created a pdf file with a tool that unfortunately does not support subsetting. I would therefore like to postprosecc the document, subsetting all fonts - without changing "other things" in the file. As an example I have created two files: http://www.daimi.au.dk/~rz/menger_nofont.pdf http://www.daimi.au.dk/~rz/menger_fullfont.pdf The first is 4k, and has not embedded the font. The second is 90k, and hes the full font embedded. Apart from the embedded font, the files are identical. I would expect that a file with the used subset (5 letters) embedded would be about 10k. I hav...