Text-based PDF (read/view)er in Linux?

Hello.

Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux
(Debian stable [Jessie])'s terminals like text based web browsers (Lynx,
w3m, eLinks, etc.)? I also don't mean a PDF converter too. I tried
"less" command that people suggested online, but it shows unreadable
garbages and XML codes.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I
shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the

On 06/03/16 08:33, Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux

I don't think so. PDF is a graphical format: it has no meaning for a
character-cell terminal with no graphics.

But you could use pdftotext to view the textual content.

///Peter
0
Peter
3/7/2016 7:20:41 PM
> > Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux

> I don't think so. PDF is a graphical format: it has no meaning for a
> character-cell terminal with no graphics.

> But you could use pdftotext to view the textual content.

Thanks. Yeah, I care not for their graphics and stuff. Just their
texts.
--
Quote of the Week: "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I
shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the
other?" --Juang-zu (4th Century B.C.)
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant

Text-based PDF (read/view)ers in Linux?
Hello. Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux (Debian stable [Jessie])'s terminals like text based web browsers (Lynx, w3m, eLinks, etc.)? I also don't mean a PDF converter too. I tried "less" command that people suggested online, but it shows unreadable garbages and XML codes. :( Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the other?" --Juang-zu (4th Century B.C.) Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly. /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit- ( ) ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

convert text images in pdf to text
Hi, I have a pdf file where someone scanned in pages from a book and stored them as images in a pdf file which is 16 meg. Is there an easy way I can do some kind of OCR on this file to just get plain text from the images of text in the pdf? Using a standard pdf to txt converter won't work because the file contains images of text as it appears in the book. Thanks, Ben -- Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com). 2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes. Tr...

PDF image of text to readable text ?
Seems there are web based tools and software. My son needs text to have it read for him. He has a PC. Found PDF reader $50 , http://thurly.net/11ia and http://thurly.net/11i4 the last being google. Wondering what you folks found useful or use ? Thanks! -- Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden http://uppitywis.org/ live WI ...

Convert PDF image to PDF text
Hi, I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? Thanx You will have to scan it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then create a PDF file. -- Don Vancouver, USA <WhiteLen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193737890.691267.165820@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the > text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? > > Thanx > Any recommendation for OCR application? ...

scanned image pdf to searchable text pdf
We have a lot of pdf files that are just scanned images of documents. How easy is it to change these into pdf's that we can search for specific words. I believe Adobe Acrobat Capture will do this when the document is originally scanned, but can it use pdf's that have already been created. If it can, can this process be automated to convert 100s of pdf files? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Acrobat Capture as it is not cheap for a large number of documents? I am new to this, so please keep it simple. Thanks for any help. Adrian HI, As you indicated, your pdf's are ...

convert PDF images to PDF text (OCR)
Hi, I have a book which was entirely scanned into a PDF, there are approximately 300 pages. The problem is that each page is an image of the paper page, not selectable text. How can I convert this PDF made of images to a text-selectable PDF? Or directly convert it to Word? I suppose I'll need some form of OCR. Thanks in advance, Raphael Yes, since you have an image, you need to OCR it into data. You will not have much luck with any formating info, but most OCR programs today to a pretty good job if the image is fairly clean . Larry T. larrynospam@nospamjbmsystems.com wrote in message...

Has anyone tried PDF text to SVG text?
Has anyone tried PDF text to SVG text? http://www.pdftron.com/pdf2svg/index.html The pdfTron PDF2SVG converter enables users to publish PDF documents in SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), the open-standard W3C recommendation for high-end graphics on the web. The flawless conversion process produces compact SVG documents that can be viewed using freely available SVG viewers and plugins. "Dr Joolz" <jxm96c@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c1oo74$kkv$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk... > Has anyone tried PDF text to SVG text? > > pdf2vector is available in desktop, ser...

Read and extract text from pdf
Hi, I have a problem :), I just want to extract text from pdf file with python. There is differents libraries for that but it doesn't work... pyPdf and pdfTools, I don't know why but it doesn't works with some pdf... For example space chars are delete in the text.. Pdf playground : I don't understand how it work. If you have an idea, a tutorial, a library or anything who can help me to do that. Julien ARNOUX: >I have a problem :), I just want to extract text from pdf file with >python. There is differents libraries for that but it doesn't work... > >pyPdf and pdfTools, I don't know why but it doesn't works with some >pdf... Text can be represented in different ways in PDF: as tagged text, bitmap and vector images, and even algorithms (IIRC). Most tools will only be able to retrieve text represented as tagged text. So some tools may work on some texts in some files and fail on others. -- Ren� Pijlman Wat wil jij leren? http://www.leren.nl You can use Ghostscript for that purpose. Look at ps2ascii script (or batch file) in the Ghostscript distribution. You can either call Ghostscript from command line or use its DLL (don't know if Python binding already exists...). The limitations the previous author has mentioned, however, still apply. Avishay There is a pdftotext executable, at least on Linux. ...

read text from pdf file
hello list!! I want to read some text from pdf files.. How can i do that using a java program.. Please give your valuable suggestions.. thanks On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:15:54 -0600, atishay kumar wrote (in article <1108142154.862842.285880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>): > hello list!! > I want to read some text from pdf files.. How can i do that using a > java program.. Please give your valuable suggestions.. > thanks > PDFBox works well for this although last time I used it, it was somewhat slow. More info can be found here <http://www.pdfbox.org/> -- Bill ...

[Reading a PDF] highlight text?
Hi, my university offers some materials as PDF only. About 300 pages. I'd rather read on my LCD than pay for a heap of print-outs. But I need to mark/highlight, maybe even annotate certain passages. I don't see a this possibility in Acrobat Reader 5 for MacOS X. Hidden somewhere? Or can I convert the PDF to .doc (Word has nice highlghting)? -- Tobias Weber Tobias Weber <towb@gmx.net> wrote: >my university offers some materials as PDF only. About 300 pages. I'd rather >read on my LCD than pay for a heap of print-outs. But I need to >mark/highlight, maybe even ...

Underline PDF text while reading
How can I underline words or paragraphs while I'm reading a PDF book? Do I need any software? (I've got only Acrobat reader5... and I prefer free software) Can I also add any bookmarks to the ebook? Thank you Pas ...

read plain text from PDF
Hi all, I'm a newby to iText, I've made some little program to generate PDF files and all worked well. Now my need is to read plain text from PDF files to make a PDF search engine: but it seem, from tutorials and postings in this newsgroup, that is impossible to get text written from a PDF files. Is this the definitive answer? In tutorial, chap 13, a phrase let me some hopes: " there are ways to retrieve text from an existing PDF ". Which "ways"? Thank you in advance. "Pier" <plz@virgilio.it> wrote: >Now my need is to read plain text from PDF...

ghostscript PDF page extraction, leaving text as text
Ghostscript may be used to extract pages from a PDF file with a command like this: gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \ -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER \ -dFirstPage=48 -dLastPage=48 \ -sOutputFile=onepage.pdf input.pdf The problem is, while that page looks the same as the original in a PDF reader, it seems to be an image rather than an "object" representation. That is, open the extracted PDF in something like Acrobat or PDF XChange Viewer and "search" and "text selection" work, whereas in the extracted one neither function works. Presumably this is because the text has been r...

PDF Converter Pro
Anyone know how I can change the default font color and style for text boxes in PDF Converter Professional 3.0? Thanks. ...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an existing file. ...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an exi...

text over PDF
Hi, I would like to overlay text (especially equations) on a PDF figure I included with \includegraphics in LaTeX. The ideal solution would allow me to align text left, right, or center of the specified coordinate, and correct vertical alignment by values specified in ex units. I am using pdflatex. I found the package overpic, and I am aware that I can do this with Tikz/PGF, but I am curious about other solutions --- the faster it compiles, the better. Best, Tamas Tamas Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, > > I would like to overlay text (especially equations) on a PDF...

text-text

text + text
What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? It doesn't seem very useful to me. What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text || text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL Server too, I think (CMIIW). -- dave ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 12:57 schrieb David Garamond: > What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? Nothing. > What a...

PDF to text
Hi there, Looking for some Java libraries which will extract the text from a PDF, retaining white space formatting i.e. paragraphs, newlines etc. I've looked at, and tested, pdfbox, which does extract the text however it does not preserve, or insert, paragraphs, newlines into its output. I've looked at IText but according to the FAQ this will not extract the text from the PDF. I'd rather not use an external program like "pdftotext", a pure Java, library based solution would be better. Any ideas? Cheers Lord0 ...

Web resources about - Text-based PDF (read/view)er in Linux? - comp.text.pdf

Text-based user interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... coined sometime after the invention of graphical user interfaces , to distinguish them from command-line interfaces that were also text-based ...

Proloquo4Text - Text-based AAC on the App Store on iTunes
Get Proloquo4Text - Text-based AAC on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Text-based internet on TI-Nspire Linux - YouTube
Challenge completed. Graphics based internet coming up soon. (I didn't demonstrate it here but there's also an SSH server running in the background ...

Text-based bug that crashes apps in OS X 10.8 & iOS 6 discovered, fixed in OS X 10.9 and iOS 7
... doesn’t get too far. Check out 9to5Mac for more breaking coverage of AAPL Company and exploit . What do you think? Discuss "Text-based bug ...

Empowering the Video Revolution: Moving Away from Simple Text-Based Publishers
ADOTAS – In the world of online advertising, content is king because without content, there’s nothing to monetize. Major online ...

Universal Support Waltzes Into Gesture-Based Text Editor Daedalus Touch
If youre looking for a well-designed text editor for iOS, you need not look further than Daedalus Touch.

You have been eaten by a grue: vintage text-based games on your Kindle
Enterprising gamers are formatting vintage text-based adventure games for the …

Blackbar, A Text-Based iOS Game About ██████████
... Moore. Blackbar starts out with censored letters sent between you and somebody called Vi. You have to […] The post Blackbar, A Text-Based iOS ...

RIM gets patent for logic-based text prediction, BlackBerry 10 keyboard now preserved for the ages
... ahead of its user. It's a good thing for this last camp that RIM was just granted the final version of a related patent for logic-based text ...

App of the Week: ‘Where You @’ enables text-based location queries
... reason he keeps randomly turning off the GPS on his phone. “Where You @” is a free download for Android . The person making the text-based ...