Track who opens a PDF?

Hello, I need to provide PDFs to a client, and they need a simple method to track who
opens the PDF in case an employee sends the PDF outside the company. All they want is
the IP address of the user.

The client's IT department won't let us use PDF plug-ins.

Something as simple as a web beacon would be so nice!

Can anyone please suggest a solution to me???

Thanks!!!

Karen

0
Karen

"Karen" <kgab11@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello, I need to provide PDFs to a client, and they need a simple method to track who
>opens the PDF in case an employee sends the PDF outside the company. All they want is
>the IP address of the user.

Reader can submit forms and connect to URLs. You can think of this as
"phone home".

However, this is widely considered a breach of privacy. You may not
care, but Adobe appear to, so the user with recent software will be
warned and can choose whether or not to connect.
Aandi Inston

quite
1/25/2008 7:54:03 PM
"Aandi Inston" <quite@dial.pipex.con> wrote in message
> "Karen" <kgab11@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello, I need to provide PDFs to a client, and they need a simple method to track who
> >opens the PDF in case an employee sends the PDF outside the company. All they want is
> >the IP address of the user.
>
> Reader can submit forms and connect to URLs. You can think of this as
> "phone home".
>
> However, this is widely considered a breach of privacy. You may not
> care, but Adobe appear to, so the user with recent software will be
> warned and can choose whether or not to connect.

Really! How recent? Reader 8?

0
Karen
1/25/2008 8:06:19 PM
"Karen" <kgab11@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> However, this is widely considered a breach of privacy. You may not
>> care, but Adobe appear to, so the user with recent software will be
>> warned and can choose whether or not to connect.
>
>Really! How recent? Reader 8?

7.0.5.
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=332208&sliceId=2
Aandi Inston

quite

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

PDF TO PDF/A
Hello, is it possible to convert a PDF file to PDFA file ? i tried the -dPDFA option and i vefy my pdf file with PDF longlife. I have an error. Thanks for help. ...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

Convert PDF image to PDF text
Hi, I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? Thanx You will have to scan it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then create a PDF file. -- Don Vancouver, USA <WhiteLen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193737890.691267.165820@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the > text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? > > Thanx > Any recommendation for OCR application? ...

text opens as pdf
On an older desktop using Win98se and IE5.5 it insists upong opening online text documents as if they are PDF documents. Naturally Acrobat gives an error saying the file is not a PDF file. Upgrading to Acrobat 6.0 has made no difference. In Internet Explorer I haven't found any place where I can force it to open plain text files in Editpad, my default plain text program. When using Windows Explorer it shows text files properly and opens them in Editpad like it's supposed to, the attempt to open them as PDF documents occurs only in Internet Explorer. I'm pretty sure the problem...

Postscript to PDF with pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other
Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? On 14/04/2008, Sean Nakasone <seannakasone@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, > pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? ps2pdf is standard on any install of Ghostscript, at least on most flavours of Linux/BSD Farrel ...

scanned image pdf to searchable text pdf
We have a lot of pdf files that are just scanned images of documents. How easy is it to change these into pdf's that we can search for specific words. I believe Adobe Acrobat Capture will do this when the document is originally scanned, but can it use pdf's that have already been created. If it can, can this process be automated to convert 100s of pdf files? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Acrobat Capture as it is not cheap for a large number of documents? I am new to this, so please keep it simple. Thanks for any help. Adrian HI, As you indicated, your pdf's are ...

How to save a edited PDF or opening pdf with other program
how is this done? thanks kevin You generally need Adobe Acrobat Standard or Professional for editing and saving PDF files. Depending on what you need to do, there are a few other options as well. Since Acrobat has limited editing capabilities, if you want to make major changes to your document, you might want to convert it to another format first. For example, you could convert it to a Word file with BCL Drake. A free demo is available from our website at http://www.bcltechnologies.com. If you want the end result to be a PDF, however, getting the full version of Acrobat might ultimately...

convert PDF images to PDF text (OCR)
Hi, I have a book which was entirely scanned into a PDF, there are approximately 300 pages. The problem is that each page is an image of the paper page, not selectable text. How can I convert this PDF made of images to a text-selectable PDF? Or directly convert it to Word? I suppose I'll need some form of OCR. Thanks in advance, Raphael Yes, since you have an image, you need to OCR it into data. You will not have much luck with any formating info, but most OCR programs today to a pretty good job if the image is fairly clean . Larry T. larrynospam@nospamjbmsystems.com wrote in message...

Opening embedded PDF in IE but links to PDF in acrobat
Hello, I have a problem with Acrobat 8 PRO. I would like to open embedded PDF in Internet Explorer (like this link: http://canali.libero.it/affaritaliani/pdfviewer.aspx?file=AI_2008_01_23) BUT I want also to open all the links to pdf files in web pages with Acrobat 8. I have tried to enable option "Enabled PDF view in browser" (this should be the translation in english), but in this way all the links in the web pages are opened in Internet Explorer. Any ideas? Thank You Exch ...

Copy from a PDF to PDF
Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? Thanks in article YT2Fb.22892$vi2.19893@twister.auna.com, jesusp at jesusp@arrakis.es wrote on 12/20/03 1:09 PM: > Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from > a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? - Yep - copy and paste. You may have to crop it first to get just what you want. And it may not paste into position - you need to move it around. - I suppose it depends on which ap...

Embedding PDF into PDF ?
I have read from websearching that it is possible to embed a smaller PDF into a main PDF, but cannot find out how this is done. Would I have to open the PDF as a text file and have my program locate a certain PDF command, then literally just stream the raw smaller PDF into it ? Any links or info would be very much aprpeciated Thanks Paul On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Paul Champan wrote: > I have read from websearching that it is possible to embed a smaller PDF > into a main PDF, but cannot find out how this is done. Do you want to merge 2 pdf files or "place" pdf files into a ...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an exi...

Web resources about - Track who opens a PDF? - comp.text.pdf

2012 United States Olympic Trials (track and field) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 2012 United States Olympic Trials for track and field are currently being held at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon . Organised by USA Track ...

All Stars future under threat; moves to fast-track the end of the under-20s competition
Saturday's NRL All Stars match could be the last in its current format with the fixture in jeopardy, while the National Youth Competition may ...

Holt lights up AIS track to break her own world record
Canberra's Angie Ballard swept the pool with five wins, but it was Isis Holt who stole the show.

Off The Track: Melbourne Cup jockey Michelle Payne plays polo to help retired racehorses - HeraldSun ...
... around. The Melbourne Cup-winning jockey swapped the whip for a mallet in a polo exhibition match yesterday in support of Off the Track — a ...

Calgary bobsled track accident kills twin brothers, injures 6 other teens
Teenage twin brothers are dead and six of their friends are injured after attempting to use their own toboggan on the bobsled track at Canada ...

Memorials set up for twins who died in crash on Calgary bobsled track
The sports facility where twin brothers crashed and died on a bobsledding track has set up two memorials for mourners looking to pay their respects. ...

Calgary Bobsled Track Visit Ends With Teens' Deaths 31
Emergency crews were called to the WinSport facility in northwest Calgary after a report of several injured people on a closed track.

High-speed rail on fast track to get travelers home for Spring Festival
Ecns.cn is the official English-language website of China News Service (CNS), a state-level news agency sponsored and established by Chinese ...

After-hours visit to Calgary bobsled track leads to 2 deaths
Calgary Herald After-hours visit to Calgary bobsled track leads to 2 deaths Appeal-Democrat CALGARY, Alberta (AP) — Police say two young men ...

With its mirror complete, giant space telescope on track for 2018 launch
This week the James Webb Space Telescope team used a robotic am to install the last of the telescope's 18 mirrors onto the telescope structure. ...