Two versions of the PDF title metadata?

An oddity has come up while editing the Title field of the PDF metadata.

A colleague corrected a wrong "Title" field in a the metadata of some
PDF files using Adobe Acrobat.

When they were uploaded to the server and processed for indexing, the
original titles still appeared.

I downloaded the files to my workstation and ran both pdfinfo and pdftk
dump_data_utf8 and both utilities reported the old Title was present.

When I opened the files with Acrobat Reader and clicked on File >
Properties, the new Title was shown.

Has anyone come across this before? Is Acrobat able to preserve the
previous version of a Title so that utilities can see it, but keep the
new version hidden from them? And if so, can this be turned off,
preferably permanently.

///Peter
0
Peter

In article <d156npFhtnvU1@mid.individual.net>, peter.nosp@m.silmaril.ie
says...

> Has anyone come across this before? Is Acrobat able to preserve the
> previous version of a Title so that utilities can see it, but keep the
> new version hidden from them? And if so, can this be turned off,
> preferably permanently.

The metadata is preserved (insanely) in two places in a PDF file.
Firstly there is the PDF Catalog dictionary (I think that's the correct
place), secondly there is the XML metadata.

These are *supposed* to always be the same, but I have no difficulty
conceiving of the possibility of an application updating one without
altering the other. That could then give rise to the situation you
describe, if the consuming applications were preferring one version over
the other, and doing so differently.

My guess woujld be that Acrobat is using the XML and the other utilities
are using the PDF constructs.

Of course the fault would be Acrobat for only altering one of the
entries, and I've never seen it do that.

It is also possible to incrementally update a PDF file, where a new
version of some object is written, but the old object is left in place.
The new object has the same object numb er as the old one, but a higher
generation number. If the utilities you quote were using the wrong
generation then the informaton could be incorrect.

Without seeing the PDF file I can't tell whch has occurred.

			Ken
0
ken
7/28/2015 7:03:51 AM
On 07/28/2015 08:03 AM, ken wrote:
> In article <d156npFhtnvU1@mid.individual.net>, peter.nosp@m.silmaril.ie
> says...
>
>> Has anyone come across this before? Is Acrobat able to preserve the
>> previous version of a Title so that utilities can see it, but keep the
>> new version hidden from them? And if so, can this be turned off,
>> preferably permanently.
>
> The metadata is preserved (insanely) in two places in a PDF file.
[...]

Thank you for the explanation. I think that is exactly what occurred.

The user took the files, re-applied the Title (again with Acrobat)
and this time it worked.

As you say, insane.

///Peter

0
Peter
7/28/2015 7:42:46 PM
ken wrote:
> Firstly there is the PDF Catalog dictionary (I think that's the
> correct place), secondly there is the XML metadata.

If that is the case here, it ought to be shown by pdfinfo from the xpdf
tools.

Axel
0
Axel

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

PDF TO PDF/A
Hello, is it possible to convert a PDF file to PDFA file ? i tried the -dPDFA option and i vefy my pdf file with PDF longlife. I have an error. Thanks for help. ...

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

Convert PDF image to PDF text
Hi, I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? Thanx You will have to scan it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then create a PDF file. -- Don Vancouver, USA <WhiteLen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193737890.691267.165820@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the > text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? > > Thanx > Any recommendation for OCR application? ...

Postscript to PDF with pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other
Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? On 14/04/2008, Sean Nakasone <seannakasone@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, > pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? ps2pdf is standard on any install of Ghostscript, at least on most flavours of Linux/BSD Farrel ...

saving a PDF file to an earlier PDF version
I'd like to be able to save a PDF file made with PDF Version > 1.4 back to version 1.4. I understand that this may not work in all cases but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a program that has this functionality. Preferably this program can also be run on the command line. Thanks, Ted On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 05:32:13 -0800, teds@intex.com ci disse: > I'd like to be able to save a PDF file made with PDF Version > 1.4 back > to version 1.4. [...] good idea, well done! in fact, I think Adobe tries to port users to use ever the latest pdf version in order to sell yo...

convert PDF images to PDF text (OCR)
Hi, I have a book which was entirely scanned into a PDF, there are approximately 300 pages. The problem is that each page is an image of the paper page, not selectable text. How can I convert this PDF made of images to a text-selectable PDF? Or directly convert it to Word? I suppose I'll need some form of OCR. Thanks in advance, Raphael Yes, since you have an image, you need to OCR it into data. You will not have much luck with any formating info, but most OCR programs today to a pretty good job if the image is fairly clean . Larry T. larrynospam@nospamjbmsystems.com wrote in message...

scanned image pdf to searchable text pdf
We have a lot of pdf files that are just scanned images of documents. How easy is it to change these into pdf's that we can search for specific words. I believe Adobe Acrobat Capture will do this when the document is originally scanned, but can it use pdf's that have already been created. If it can, can this process be automated to convert 100s of pdf files? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Acrobat Capture as it is not cheap for a large number of documents? I am new to this, so please keep it simple. Thanks for any help. Adrian HI, As you indicated, your pdf's are ...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an exi...

Copy from a PDF to PDF
Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? Thanks in article YT2Fb.22892$vi2.19893@twister.auna.com, jesusp at jesusp@arrakis.es wrote on 12/20/03 1:09 PM: > Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from > a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? - Yep - copy and paste. You may have to crop it first to get just what you want. And it may not paste into position - you need to move it around. - I suppose it depends on which ap...

4x PDF Help
Hi Everyone -- we've launched a new question and answer site for all PDF questions. It's based on the highly popular technology platform used by StackOverflow.com, and provides a great environment for getting your questions answered and answering other people's questions. Check it out --> http://help.4xpdf.com/ Cheers, - Rowan. ...

PDF TO PDF MULTIPAGES
Hello, (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf It doesn't work. Is works with jpeg files: gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle.pdf Thanks for Help. Christophe BADET Christophe BADET wrote: > Hello, > > (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) > i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: > > gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf > It doesn't work. > Is works with jpeg files: > gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle....

pdf to dvi to pdf?
I need help with what seems to be a simple problem. I have a collection of pdf manuscript to submitt to a on-demand publisher. They want them to be: (1)6in x 9in with 1/2in margins allound (2) and embedded fonts. The problem is there are: (1) 8.5in x 11in with 1in margins (2) and the fonts aren't embedded. Perl pdf mod is one possibility, what would be involved with doing this with LaTex? I wanting to stay with open source solutions(Linux). TIA, David editor@deepmeanings.com (David Jackon) schrieb: > I need help with what seems to be a simple problem. > I have a collection of ...

Web resources about - Two versions of the PDF title metadata? - comp.text.pdf

Metadata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Metadata is " data about data". The term is ambiguous, as it is used for two fundamentally different concepts ( types ). Structural metadata ...

Metadata, Content Security: Metadatarisk.org
Metadatarisk.org is a public-benefit site offering information on content security. If you have an article or relevant website that you would ...

Metadata Working Group (MWG)
The MWG publishes technical specifications that describe how to effectively storemetadata into digital media files. These royalty-free specifications ...

Why Metadata Matters: The NSA and the Future of Privacy
Over at Slate, Dahlia Lithwick and Steve Vladeck have a great piece about why "metadata" matters. It is very much worth reading. Here are some ...

Metapho: Manage Photo Metadata on the App Store on iTunes
Get Metapho: Manage Photo Metadata on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

All sizes - Hillmann's Real Metadata. - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Care and Feeding of Weird Machines Found in Executable Metadata [29c3] - YouTube
The Care and Feeding of Weird Machines Found in Executable Metadata The Executable and Linkable Format (ELF) is omnipresent; related OS and library ...

Metadata access should require a warrant, human rights committee tells government
Parliament's human rights committee tells government to respect people's privacy when it comes to data retention.

Malcolm Turnbull's Sky News interview basically renders the metadata retention laws useless
Mal comms in the middle. After several months of the Abbott Government telling Australians how important the metadata laws are to catch paedophiles ...

Metadata retention laws will pass as Labor folds
The Federal government's controversial $400 million plan to force telecommunications providers to store the metadata of all phone and internet ...