Un-compress text and line-art?

When creating a PDF via Distiller, there's an option on the Compression tab
named "Compress Text and Line Art". (Or at least there was in V5; it seems
to be missing in V8, though I've discovered you can still set it by manually
editing the joboptions file). If I leave this option un-checked, I get a PDF
that's got the text in uncompressed form, so that you can actually read the
text in a text editor. I won't bore you with the details of why that's
important to me, but it is.

However, I now have a PDF that someone else has supplied, and the text is
compressed (so I assume that the option was checked when it went through
distiller). I need to get back to the un-compressed state. Is it possible?

I was hoping that Acrobat would allow me to set a similar option when I did
a Save As, but apparently not. Is there another way? Any tools out there? It
doesn't seem entirely unreasonable thing to do - it's lossless compression
after all, so going back and forward should be possible. However, I may be
the only person in the world who wants to do so...

Thanks,
Gary

Gary McGill <gary.mcgill@electrum.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> However, I now have a PDF that someone else has supplied, and the text is
> compressed (so I assume that the option was checked when it went through
> distiller). I need to get back to the un-compressed state. Is it possible?

  Have you looked into the optimizer (in the Advanced menu)?

> [...]
> Gary

  Schobi

--
SpamTrap@gmx.de is never read
I'm HSchober at gmx dot de

0
Hendrik
10/15/2007 2:47:33 AM
Gary McGill wrote:

> I was hoping that Acrobat would allow me to set a similar option when I did
> a Save As, but apparently not. Is there another way? Any tools out there? It
> doesn't seem entirely unreasonable thing to do - it's lossless compression
> after all, so going back and forward should be possible. However, I may be
> the only person in the world who wants to do so...

PDFTK will uncompress the text.
0
PDFrank
10/15/2007 2:59:11 AM
"Hendrik Schober" <SpamTrap@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Gary McGill <gary.mcgill@electrum.co.uk> wrote:
>> [...]
>> However, I now have a PDF that someone else has supplied, and the text is
>> compressed (so I assume that the option was checked when it went through
>> distiller). I need to get back to the un-compressed state. Is it
>> possible?
>
>  Have you looked into the optimizer (in the Advanced menu)?

Yes, I tried using the "remove compression" option in the "Clean Up
Settings" panel, and it didn't seem to do anything. Maybe it only
un-compresses images?

Gary

0
Gary
10/15/2007 8:58:52 AM
"Gary McGill" <gary.mcgill@electrum.co.uk> wrote in message
> When creating a PDF via Distiller, there's an option on the Compression tab
> named "Compress Text and Line Art". (Or at least there was in V5; it seems
> to be missing in V8, though I've discovered you can still set it by manually
> editing the joboptions file). If I leave this option un-checked, I get a PDF
> that's got the text in uncompressed form, so that you can actually read the
> text in a text editor. I won't bore you with the details of why that's
> important to me, but it is.
>
> However, I now have a PDF that someone else has supplied, and the text is
> compressed (so I assume that the option was checked when it went through
> distiller). I need to get back to the un-compressed state. Is it possible?

Print it from Acrobat to the Distiller with compression off in the latter.

[Jw]

0
Jongware