Why Can't I Find Things in my Document?

I have acrobat 5.  I printed big documents (accounting ledgers) from my
accounting program using distiller.  I go to the binoculars to find an
amount I know is there, and it finds nothing.

How do I make my documents searchable?  What went wrong?  This is sad; I've
already closed out that year.  :(

Thanks,
Carla
bratdawg1 at yahoo dot com

0
Carla

"Carla F." <FETCHIT@GILANET.COM> wrote in message
> I have acrobat 5.  I printed big documents (accounting ledgers) from my
> accounting program using distiller.  I go to the binoculars to find an
> amount I know is there, and it finds nothing.
>
> How do I make my documents searchable?  What went wrong?  This is sad;
I've
> already closed out that year.  :(

It sounds like your text has been converted to an image, which Distiller
_might_ do if it can't find the required font. (My memory of distiller is
vague, but I am surprised it does this).

If this is the case, your only option is to run some sort of Optical
Character Recognition on it.

Tom.

0
Tom
2/10/2004 8:25:56 PM
>>I have acrobat 5.  I printed big documents (accounting ledgers) from my
>>accounting program using distiller.  I go to the binoculars to find an
>>amount I know is there, and it finds nothing.
>>
>>How do I make my documents searchable?  What went wrong?  This is sad;
>
> I've
>
>>already closed out that year.  :(
>>

> It sounds like your text has been converted to an image, which Distiller
> _might_ do if it can't find the required font. (My memory of distiller is
> vague, but I am surprised it does this).

You can check if the document is searcheable by highlighting your text
with the 'text select' tool. Then right-click and copy to clipboard.
Paste into Notepad and see if the text comes out.

max
0
max
2/10/2004 9:47:39 PM
Are you able to select and copy-and-paste any of the text from your
PDF into another program, such as Word?  If not, it could be that your
accounting program only printed the files as images.  You would need
to use an OCR product, such as Paper Capture, to make the document
searchable.  If Paper Capture isn't available under your Document menu
in Acrobat, you might still be able to find it as a free download from
Adobe.com.

Rachel Burnsed
burnsed@bcltechnologies.com

"Carla F." <FETCHIT@GILANET.COM> wrote in message news:<40291102@news.zianet.com>...
> I have acrobat 5.  I printed big documents (accounting ledgers) from my
> accounting program using distiller.  I go to the binoculars to find an
> amount I know is there, and it finds nothing.
>
> How do I make my documents searchable?  What went wrong?  This is sad; I've
> already closed out that year.  :(
>
> Thanks,
> Carla
> bratdawg1 at yahoo dot com