Why does document print small?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I'm trying to print a PDF document (Acrobat 5.0) that is readable.  The text
always prints out small.  The only size adjustment I see is the zoom
feature.  I have tried "Copies and Adjustments" options in the print
feature.  Nothing has helped.

Any suggestions?

Brett

0
Reply Brett 10/21/2003 5:39:01 AM

See related articles to this posting

"Brett" <myaccount@cygen.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to print a PDF document (Acrobat 5.0) that is readable.  The text
>always prints out small.

How small?  What size does the document show in Acrobat (bottom of the
window), and what size does it print?
Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

Reply quite 10/21/2003 7:01:32 AM

"Aandi Inston" <quite@dial.pipex.con> wrote in message
> "Brett" <myaccount@cygen.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to print a PDF document (Acrobat 5.0) that is readable.  The
text
> >always prints out small.
>
> How small?  What size does the document show in Acrobat (bottom of the
> window),
I don't know.  It doesn't say.  At the bottom, it only says the pages and
8.5X11.

>and what size does it print?
There is no indication of it on the printed pages.

> Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com
> Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them.

0
Reply Brett 10/21/2003 12:08:41 PM

"Brett" <myaccount@cygen.com> wrote:

>"Aandi Inston" <quite@dial.pipex.con> wrote in message
>> "Brett" <myaccount@cygen.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm trying to print a PDF document (Acrobat 5.0) that is readable.  The
>text
>> >always prints out small.
>>
>> How small?  What size does the document show in Acrobat (bottom of the
>> window),
>I don't know.  It doesn't say.  At the bottom, it only says the pages and
>8.5X11.

That's what I meant. So, the document page is 8.5 x 11 inches.

>>and what size does it print?
>There is no indication of it on the printed pages.

You say it prints small, but now you say there is no indication of
size?  I mean, to measure with a ruler, not a printed text.

Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

Reply quite 10/21/2003 12:52:45 PM

Aandi Inston wrote:
> "Brett" <myaccount@cygen.com> wrote:
>>"Aandi Inston" <quite@dial.pipex.con> wrote in message
>>
>>>and what size does it print?
>>
>>There is no indication of it on the printed pages.
>
> You say it prints small, but now you say there is no indication of
> size?  I mean, to measure with a ruler, not a printed text.

Brett might be under the misconception that PDF is similar to (basic)
HTML in that it can be viewed, and printed, at different text sizes from
extra small to extra large (as in Internet Explorer).

Michael

0
Reply Michael 10/21/2003 2:42:40 PM

"Michael Hemmer" <mhemmer@nospam_samson.de> wrote in message
> Aandi Inston wrote:
> > "Brett" <myaccount@cygen.com> wrote:
> >>"Aandi Inston" <quite@dial.pipex.con> wrote in message
The

> >>There is no indication of it on the printed pages.
> >
> > You say it prints small, but now you say there is no indication of
> > size?  I mean, to measure with a ruler, not a printed text.
>
> Brett might be under the misconception that PDF is similar to (basic)
> HTML in that it can be viewed, and printed, at different text sizes from
> extra small to extra large (as in Internet Explorer).
>
> Michael

Or, he might have a document that trim marks on it. If fit to page is
checked when he prints it, the type will "get smaller," as the page is
shrunk to get those trim marks to fit. Cropping out the trim marks would
solve the problem.

-Mike

0
Reply mike 10/21/2003 3:06:05 PM

"mike" <mdt34@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Hemmer" <mhemmer@nospam_samson.de> wrote in message
> > Aandi Inston wrote:
> The

> > > You say it prints small, but now you say there is no indication of
> > > size?  I mean, to measure with a ruler, not a printed text.
> >
> > Brett might be under the misconception that PDF is similar to (basic)
> > HTML in that it can be viewed, and printed, at different text sizes from
> > extra small to extra large (as in Internet Explorer).
> >
> > Michael
>

> Or, he might have a document that trim marks on it. If fit to page is
> checked when he prints it, the type will "get smaller," as the page is
> shrunk to get those trim marks to fit. Cropping out the trim marks would
> solve the problem.
>
> -Mike
Is that a feature in the print feature of Acrobat?  I don't have it in front
of me but will try it.

Thanks,
Brett

0
Reply Brett 10/21/2003 6:18:33 PM

> > Or, he might have a document that trim marks on it. If fit to page is
> > checked when he prints it, the type will "get smaller," as the page is
> > shrunk to get those trim marks to fit. Cropping out the trim marks would
> > solve the problem.
> >
> > -Mike
> Is that a feature in the print feature of Acrobat?  I don't have it in
front
> of me but will try it.
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Yes.

0
Reply mike 10/21/2003 6:22:38 PM
comp.text.pdf 5557 articles. 36 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Printing small photos on small paper
Never ever printed anything but A4s. But come I want to make a smaller print (a photo) on small paper (like 6" x 4") and I simply have no clue. I have made every kind of test and I carefully put the miserable small photo paper in the right of the tray and move the slider to snugly fit on its left and prepare the pic for the size I want, I check the Page Setup and make a custom size to choose (none of the things in he list seem right? A5 is closest.) I am on Tiger, PS CS, the printer is a Photosmart B109a-m. Seems a waste of paper to make what I want on A4 - thoug...

Printing cut off when printing on a small form
I'm using Word 2000 with an HP LaserJet 4M Plus and Windows XP's standard driver for the 4M Plus, and I have encountered a baffling page layout problem. I'm going to explain this as clearly as I can, but you will probably have to make a drawing from my description to understand it! I'm trying to print an address on a United States Customs form 2976. This form is 7.5" wide and 3" high. Obviously it had to go in the printer lengthwise and be printed in landscape mode. I first tried setting the page size to the actual size of the form, but Word just printed b...

Print-Print versus Print-Preview-Print
Is there a difference between the following operations from any given program? Let's say Safari, because I often want to Preview to see how many pages there are before deciding to print. From Safari: File > Print --> print dialog > Print versus From Safari: File > Print --> print dialog then choose Preview --> Abode Reader view then print directly from Adobe using File > Print --> print dialog > Print It sounds like a waste of steps, but after I preview in Adobe Reader, I usually close the preview and go back and print directly from Safari. The outputs ...

Questions about printing, printing and printing
Hi everybody. A friend of mine give me two HP calculators he dont'use anymore: an HP-28S and an HP-17BII. Including my HP-49G+, now I have 3 HP calculators that are able to print (on a "grand total" of 6 HP calculators). I would like to print something but I don't want to spend too much (my wife can't understand). Now the questions: 1. Are some printers out there compatible with the 3 calcs? 2. Do you know if is there a IR printer server that can be connected to an external printer (USB, parallel, RS232, etc.). 3. Do know if is possibile to use a PC as a printer...

Missing Word Document footer in Print Preview ..... Prints OK
Hi We run a Win 2k Terminal Server with Office 2000. In Word when you go to the print preview it cannot be seen. The Header can be seen OK but the footer is gone. It prints OK though. I have logged onto Terminal Services as a different user on different Terminals for the same result. When I open it on a PC that has a copy of Office installed locally it is OK showing clearly in the print preview. I have gone through the page setup and tried different Margin and Header/Footer settings.I have reset to defaults with still the same result. I was considering trying to copy normal.dot from another...

Document could not be printed
Hi, I am running an application which prints (constructs PDF) on the fly. I am trying to print the PDF file, when i am printing from pages 2 to total pages say 2 to 20, it is printing fine, but when I print ALL the pages or print from 1 to 20 pages or first page I am getting the error "The document could not be printed". The Adobe i am using is 5.0.5, and PDF spec 1.4 Any idea, why this error is coming? Thanks & Regards JK ...

print documents
hi i have a table that contains file paths to documents table fldrecordindex fldpath i have a query that returns the records relating to the open report. what i would like to do is print the documents that are returned ie report number 205 the query returns 3 results doc 1 doc 2 doc 3 i would like to print these documents any ideas how i can do this please thanks kevin ...

To print or not to print
What is a symptom of, when a print statement, inserted into a program as a diagnostic, removes an error? -- Dieter Britz (dieterbritz<at>yahoo.com) Dieter Britz wrote: > What is a symptom of, when a print statement, inserted into a program > as a diagnostic, removes an error? Array bound violation is the most likely. Some additional memory space is allocated for the purpose of the print statement, and the array then overflows into that space without any visible effect. Dieter Britz <dieterbritz@yahoo.com> wrote: > What is a symptom of, when a print sta...

printing documents
Can I print a word document from my working directory? I tried it using the print function but it didn't work. If it is possible, how can it be done? Thanks. Dan <danrajjj007@hotmail.com> writes: > Can I print a word document from my working directory? > > I tried it using the print function but it didn't work. > > If it is possible, how can it be done? Why should MATLAB be any better at printing a Word document than Word is at running a MATLAB script? Type "help print" to see what print does. -- Peter Boettcher <boettcher@ll.mit.edu>...

Printed Documentation
I have been searching for a way to print the official Python documentation into some kind of book (for my own uses). I don't really care if it's printed on newspaper and bound with elmer's glue ... any way I can get relatively recent _official documentation_ in print form will do. I'm on the go a lot, and can't read for long periods of time on LCD screens anyhow (so having a laptop is not my solution). Until eBook readers grow up a bit, I'm stuck trying to print the documentation that I REALLY need to read and absorb. Lulu.com is an option, but it would cost somethi...

Printing Documents
How can I print html documents in Python on Windows? defcon8 wrote: > How can I print html documents in Python on Windows? > ;-) 1. You start the Microsoft Internet Explorer and make some space on the Desktop for a Python shell window. 2. You start the Python shell and position it within the prepared space 3. Still looking at the Python shell you load the document into the Internet Explorer and then use its menu [File] -> [Print] to invoke printing (don't forget to keep your eye on the Python shell...) ;-) Claudio Grondi P.S. There are many options to automate usage of MS...

Small prints
How can I print 4 or more small prints on an 8 x 10 paper . I am using Cannon IP 4200 and have Picasa & Microsoft office software. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Try using the software EZ photo print or EZ layout print from the Canon download website "Andy Petro" <andy.petro@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:463cf9f9$0$16267$88260bb3@free.teranews.com... > How can I print 4 or more small prints on an 8 x 10 paper . I am using > Cannon IP 4200 and have Picasa & Microsoft office software. > > ...

Printing multiple copies with 'Easy Print VI Panel or Documentation'???
I would like to use 'Easy Print VI Panel or Documentation.vi' to print multiple copies of the front panel of a VI. Unfortunately, 'Easy Print VI Panel or Documentation.vi' doesn't seem to have a 'number of copies' argument the way that 'Print Report.vi' does. You might think that you could wire a VI refnum into an Application Property Node, but the printing properties there don't seem to include a 'number of copies' property: Properties > Printing > Block Diagram Scaling? Properties > Printing > Front Panel Scaling? Properties > ...

Xerox DocuPrint 4512 printing extra page under XP Pro before printing document
I've got a Xerox DocuPrint 4512 printer, connected via a TCP/IP port to XP Professional. Works OK, except for the fact that it prints a page of junk prior to printing the actual document. The document prints OK, but the first "additional" page is almost blank, apart from about up to an inch of garbage (not just characters, but garbled graphics stuff too). Anyone got ideas as to what the problem might be? I can live with it, but it's pretty annoying. ...

javax.print: impossible to print a PDF/PS document with 2 pages per sheet?
- the dialog in javax.print.ServiceUI.printDialog does not allow to set a "number of pages per sheet" - the javax.print.attribute.standard.NumberUp does not seem to work, when added in the PrintRequestAttributeSet and used by the following methods: - PrintServiceLookup.lookupPrintServices - DocPrintJob.print ( doc flavour, PrintRequestAttributeSet) ...

Can anyone tell me how to print a word document from a SAS AF screen containing a list of selections and a Print Button?
Can anyone tell me how to print Word documents from a SAS AF screen with a list of selections and a Print Button? What code would run when the Print Button is pressed to make the selected report(s) print? Running SAS V9.1 on a Windows XP. Please provide actual code as I have pondered OLE, DDE, DDL etc.. with no luck. Thanks!!! ...

Printing Linked Documents
Hello , I have an html file which contains link to 4 reports ( html files ). Instead of letting the user open one link at a time, and then printing the report , I want to print all the reports with a single button click, say on pressing a button "Print All" . I have found out a way, in which the reports can be printed , but the print dialog box is coming up each time( eg. for 4 reports it is 4 times, and for n documents it would be n number of times ) ; which I find very irritating . I would rather prefer a single print dialog box coming up for n number of reports . Any help to t...

Document could not be printed #2
Hi, Good morning. I am dynamically creating PDF documents on the fly. I have a problem when i am printing the PDF document. when i try to print the first page of the PDF document, i am getting the error - "document could not be printed" I am able to print pages 1 to say 10 - without any errors. but if i am printing all pages / first page, i am getting this print error. PDF spec is 1.4 and Adobe version is 5.0.5. i compared the same PDF documents one with PDF 1.3 and and one with PDF 1.4 and I saw some sections different. these sections are as follows PDF 1.4 version %PDF-1.4 ...

Printing Documents to PDF
Hi, =20 I want to print a large number of documents (Word,RTF) to PDF (in batch). =20 No interaction with the user. =20 What are my options? =20 =20 Thank you in advance=20 Jacques Lanoue (An other SAS guy) ...

Printing Large documents
Hi, I need to print an A1 size poster which is stored in pdf format. However, I only have a A4 printer (Canon i550). Hence, I will like to tile the print-out such that I can print the A1 poster in pieces of A4 papers so that I can stick them together. How can I do this using adobe acrobat 5.0 ? Thanks. -- Regards, Adrian ...

Printing a HTML Document
Hi there,We have a little problem. We just started coding in Java and now weneed to load a html document from a webserver and print it out. Wefiggured out this can be done using HTML component, but when weexecute this code, the pages stay blank. My guess is that we aren'tloading the page inside the HTML Component. Anyone got an idea???Our code:HTMLDocument x = new HTMLDocument();URL u;InputStream is = null;DataInputStream dis;u = new URL("http://www.mysite.com/htmlfile.php");x.setBase(u);dr.print(x); On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 03:21:40 -0800 (PST), Oitne.Inside@gmail.com wrote: >Hi t...

help with document print
Hi guys, i'm trying to make a website for a jewelery so the user can print warranties for every jewel it sold. My first try was: let the user create an openoffice document with variable placeholder {tag} that I substitute with the real value of $tag and then open the document (with mimetype application/vnd. ...) for print. Now user want to be able to insert formatting and styles to the text so I can't mantain the same structure if I user FCKeditor or similar because these products returns a string with HTML code inside that I have to translate to OO. I want to use pdf that is ...

document cannot be printed in acroread
Our administration (who cannot produce a decent pdf document, they often circulate SCANNED ones) has recently distributed a 3-page file (revised mission order template) in M$-word doc format. Since our local staff use linux and prefer pdf, and also the file includes two different forms (one corresponds to the first two pages, and the other one to the last page), I used openoffice 3 to export as pdf in two different files (pages 1-2 and page 3). Now acroread (which is what most people here use) can display the 2-page document, but when one attempts to print gives a popup "...

Printing stored documents
I want to be able to print stored PDF documents from within filemaker! Is there anyway that filemaker can access the location where these are stored and print them? These documents would be standard forms! I thought it would be better if they were printed from there source rather than being stored within Filemaker! If not, how would you go about storing PDF documents within filemaker so as to be able to print? Thanks http://www.alqemy.com/Index2.htm Not that I ever use it, but they seems to me to have a cutting edge in this area??? --sd "Falcon" <infoSPAmNOnE@kando-mort...