[fonts] Installing "local" fonts (lm)

Hello,
I recently tried to install fonts locally.
I've got a local directory (let's say /mydir/latex) which contains a
texmf directory. This dir (/mydir/latex) is exported to appear in
$TEXINPUTS and i can successfully use packages installed in
/mydir/latex/texmf/latex for example.

As I was trying to install fonts (lm - latin modern -
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/) I ended up with an issue
(cannot use the fonts). Sadly,
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts did not help,
or i missed something trivial...

Here is how I actually did this :
1/ extract the zip file as advised by the documentation (fonts dir in
texmf/fonts, docs in texmf/doc, tex in texmf/latex)
2/ make updmap find the lm.map and use it : updmap --enable Map
/mydir/latex/texmf/fonts/map/lm.map
3/ update the list of packages/fonts in texmf : mktexlsr /mydir/latex/texmf)
4/ try to use it in tex files...

Here it goes...
=>
kpathsea: Running mktextfm ec-lmss9
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-lmss9
! I can't find file `ec-lmss9'.
<*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9

(and the same goes for all lm classes :s)

So my guess is that kpathsea does not find the directory /mydir/latex
(that's why i tried to put the full path to lm.map with updmap), is
there an easyway to tell kpathsea to add /mydir/latex to its search path ?
(well i tried to change my $TEXMF but this is not a good idea :p)

Thanks in advance !
best,

azra
0
dsfqsdf (19)

 azrazer <dsfqsdf@poupidoup.com> writes:
>I recently tried to install fonts locally.

you need to tell us what system you're running.

>I've got a local directory (let's say /mydir/latex) which contains a
>texmf directory. This dir (/mydir/latex) is exported to appear in
>$TEXINPUTS

how does it appear in $TEXINPUTS?

>and i can successfully use packages installed in
>/mydir/latex/texmf/latex for example.

in most modern systems, $TEXINPUTS is confusing at best, but you can
get it to control what files (la)tex inputs.  it's not typically used
at all, and doesn't do anything for fonts at all.

>As I was trying to install fonts (lm - latin modern -
>http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/) I ended up with an issue
>(cannot use the fonts). Sadly,
>http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts did not help,
>or i missed something trivial...
>
>Here is how I actually did this :
>1/ extract the zip file as advised by the documentation (fonts dir in
>texmf/fonts, docs in texmf/doc, tex in texmf/latex)

note the faq answer says to use a local texmf tree.  it doesn't say
"use a tree that has the name texmf at its root" -- it needs to be a
tree that (la)tex will search.  the list of those is obtained by

  kpsewhich -expand-var=\$TEXMF

which on my system gives

  {/home/rf10/texmf,!!/etc/texmf,!!/var/lib/texmf,!!/usr/lib/texmf,!!/usr/local/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf}

(the !! means that sub-tree needs texhash/mktexlsr before it will
search properly.)

on my system, the local texmf tree is /usr/local/share/texmf (which i
feel is a bit confusing, but i'm used to it now).  note that on my
system there's no sign of /mydir/latex/texmf -- if _you_ want to get
that searched, you've got to hack at texmf.cnf, which is something i
would ***strongly*** advise against.  go with the stream, use the
trees the system already thinks it knows about.

>2/ make updmap find the lm.map and use it : updmap --enable Map
>/mydir/latex/texmf/fonts/map/lm.map

if it's in the right place in a tree tex knows about

  updmap --enable lm.map

is all you need.  i have to admit i've never tried an absolute file
system address, but you shouldn't need to try it.

>3/ update the list of packages/fonts in texmf : mktexlsr /mydir/latex/texmf)

note that this is completely useless in your case, since tex doesn't
know about your directory tree.

>4/ try to use it in tex files...
>
>Here it goes...
>=>
>kpathsea: Running mktextfm ec-lmss9
>mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
>nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9
>This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

so it hasn't found the fonts.  not surprising since it doesn't know
about your tree.

now, as i said, i would recommend that you use *the* local texmf tree.

however, you might just get away with (bash syntax since that's what i
use)

  export TEXMF=\!\!/mydir/latex/texmf:`kpsewhich -expand-var=\$TEXMF`

so what _ought_ i to write in the faq to avoid your confusion?
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
>  azrazer <dsfqsdf@poupidoup.com> writes:
>> I recently tried to install fonts locally.
>
> you need to tell us what system you're running.
Hi,
yup, sorry, i forgot that information

>> I've got a local directory (let's say /mydir/latex) which contains a
>> texmf directory. This dir (/mydir/latex) is exported to appear in
>> $TEXINPUTS
>
> how does it appear in $TEXINPUTS?
$ echo $TEXINPUTS
..:/mydir/latex//:

>> and i can successfully use packages installed in
>> /mydir/latex/texmf/latex for example.
>
> in most modern systems, $TEXINPUTS is confusing at best, but you can
> get it to control what files (la)tex inputs.  it's not typically used
> at all, and doesn't do anything for fonts at all.
right, thanks for the explanation... I wondered which variable to set to
change search path for fonts, and maybe texinputs is not the good one...
(it's ok for packages, but maybe not for fonts :))

>> As I was trying to install fonts (lm - latin modern -
>> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/) I ended up with an issue
>> (cannot use the fonts). Sadly,
>> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts did not help,
>> or i missed something trivial...
>>
>> Here is how I actually did this :
>> 1/ extract the zip file as advised by the documentation (fonts dir in
>> texmf/fonts, docs in texmf/doc, tex in texmf/latex)
>
> note the faq answer says to use a local texmf tree.  it doesn't say
> "use a tree that has the name texmf at its root"
This i understand :p that is why i changed $TEXINPUTS.

> -- it needs to be a
> tree that (la)tex will search.  the list of those is obtained by
>
>   kpsewhich -expand-var=\$TEXMF
>
> which on my system gives
>
>   {/home/rf10/texmf,!!/etc/texmf,!!/var/lib/texmf,!!/usr/lib/texmf,!!/usr/local/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf}
>
> (the !! means that sub-tree needs texhash/mktexlsr before it will
> search properly.)
Ah great, thanks for the command !
So yeah, my directory is not in TEXMF... here's the problem.
GREAT !

> on my system, the local texmf tree is /usr/local/share/texmf (which i
> feel is a bit confusing, but i'm used to it now).  note that on my
> system there's no sign of /mydir/latex/texmf -- if _you_ want to get
> that searched, you've got to hack at texmf.cnf, which is something i
> would ***strongly*** advise against.  go with the stream, use the
> trees the system already thinks it knows about.
If I could do that, i would have done it...
I have no permissions on my system so i have to use locally installed
stuff. (plus, my home dir. is too small to handle something like a texmf
tree with many packages)

>> 2/ make updmap find the lm.map and use it : updmap --enable Map
>> /mydir/latex/texmf/fonts/map/lm.map
>
> if it's in the right place in a tree tex knows about
>
>   updmap --enable lm.map
>
> is all you need.  i have to admit i've never tried an absolute file
> system address, but you shouldn't need to try it.
>
>> 3/ update the list of packages/fonts in texmf : mktexlsr /mydir/latex/texmf)
>
> note that this is completely useless in your case, since tex doesn't
> know about your directory tree.
>
>> 4/ try to use it in tex files...
>>
>> Here it goes...
>> =>
>> kpathsea: Running mktextfm ec-lmss9
>> mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
>> nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9
>> This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>
> so it hasn't found the fonts.  not surprising since it doesn't know
> about your tree.
Yup :)

> now, as i said, i would recommend that you use *the* local texmf tree.
-_- too bad i cannot do it...
> however, you might just get away with (bash syntax since that's what i
> use)
>
>   export TEXMF=\!\!/mydir/latex/texmf:`kpsewhich -expand-var=\$TEXMF`
Cool !
(well, this need some change since kpsewhich expanded variable syntax is
export TEXMF=`kpsewhich -expand-var=\$TEXMF | sed -e
's/{/{!!\/mydir\/latex\/texmf,/g'`
But ended with a white line and finally did it by hand \:

Anyway, this one is what i needed !! Thank you so much for your fast and
accurate answer !

> so what _ought_ i to write in the faq to avoid your confusion?
err.. i dunno actually... was I so confused ?
maybe add this line so that it is easy to find the $TEXMF and also
change it...

Thanks again, you saved my day !

Azra
0
dsfqsdf (19)
10/13/2009 7:37:35 AM
azrazer a �crit :
> Robin Fairbairns a �crit :
>>  azrazer <dsfqsdf@poupidoup.com> writes:
[...]
>> however, you might just get away with (bash syntax since that's what i
>> use)
>>
>>   export TEXMF=\!\!/mydir/latex/texmf:`kpsewhich -expand-var=\$TEXMF`
> Cool !
> (well, this need some change since kpsewhich expanded variable syntax is
> export TEXMF=`kpsewhich -expand-var=\$TEXMF | sed -e
> 's/{/{!!\/mydir\/latex\/texmf,/g'`
> But ended with a white line and finally did it by hand \:
Found it...
export TEXMF=$(kpsewhich -expand-var=\$TEXMF | sed
's/{/{!!\/mydir\/latex\/texmf,/')

Have a nice day everyone... :)

> Anyway, this one is what i needed !! Thank you so much for your fast and
> accurate answer !
>>
>> so what _ought_ i to write in the faq to avoid your confusion?
> err.. i dunno actually... was I so confused ?
> maybe add this line so that it is easy to find the $TEXMF and also
> change it...
>
> Thanks again, you saved my day !
>
> Azra
0
dsfqsdf (19)

What "Preferences" Font Setting Determines the "Datatips" Font?
I'd like to specify a particular font ("ProFontWindows" 8pt or 9pt) for the "Datatips". Where in "File" > "Preferences" > "Fonts" do I need to go to set it? I realize this is trivial as problems go, but I can't figure it out! Thanks! Vi�arr ----------------- Hi Vi�arr, the datatips follow the font that the Editor uses: File --> Preferences --> Fonts --> "Desktop code font." (You can also specify a particular font for the Editor under Fonts --> Custom.) Jared "Vi�arr" <g-w-bush-is-...

"Fonts" and "Faces"
Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces Each of them having Special Places (to be sung to the tune of "Love and Marriage" in the musical "Our Town"! I just want to anchor down the correct terminology. A "font" is such as Arno Pro and a "face" is, in the context of Arno Pro, "bold" or "italic" or "regular" and so on. So, the question is, am I correct? -- James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@me.com TaliesinSoft wrote: > Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces > Each of them having Special Places > > ...

combining "text-align: center" and "font-size: 22px"

help with font error: "Could not find/open font when opening font arial, using internal non-scalable font"
Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the above message when I try to run the following script. Can someone please educate me? :-) Thanks! set term png set output '| display png:-' # cool trick plot sin(x) with lines Setting the term font does not help: set term png font arial 14 size 800,600 Also, according to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I, I should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation LiberationMono-Bold.ttf LiberationSans-Regular.ttf LiberationMono-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf LiberationMono-Italic.ttf LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationMono-Regular.ttf LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf LiberationSans-Bold.ttf LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf LiberationSans-BoldItalic.ttf fonts.dir LiberationSans-Italic.ttf fonts.scale But when I try setting GDFONTPATH, it still gets the same error: rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font Rich Cook wrote: > H...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

"Font not available" error. How do I get the font??
Hi All, I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the alternative to replace the original fonts with some others. However, in the above described situation, how can I get this or that font? Specially when it tells me the "font family so and so" is not available? TIA, jbr On Jun 20, 2006, BigBen wrote: > Hi All, > > I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that > some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the > altern...

"security" font
Hello, I need to find a "security" font to use as a background watermark on a document (ie, on a legal document, the customer's name is repeatedly printed in faint 8 point type angled at 45 degrees all over the page). I've tried to recreate this by using outline fonts, but the printed results at 300 and 600 dpi don't look very good. I've tried to stroke it using different dashed lines, by turning the glyphs into a path and filling using a stippled pattern, and by simply changing the gray level - but the results are only reliable at 1200dpi, and most of our customer...

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

Displaying text in "uninstalled" font?
Dear all, If I take the following postscript-file: %!PS-Adobe-3.0 /Arial findfont 15 scalefont setfont 72 200 moveto (text) show showpage then it nicely displays the "text" in Arial, if opening in Adobe Illustrato= r CS6 Tryout. But I want it to display in Myriad Pro, so I should change the findfont-com= mand:=20 /Myriad-Pro findfont or something like that. However, this gives rise to the error: Font not found on the system; missing font has been substituted. Of course, Myriad Pro IS installed in AI CS6. Please note that it is NOT an option to change the font in AI, I want this = to be incorporated in the postscript file (which is programmatically genera= ted by myself). I checked the manuals (Bluebook, Language Specification,...= ) but could not find it. Probably I'm overlooking something. Could anyone offer me some help please? Thanks very much in advance, Jef In article <81efedba-9097-4e4b-9abe-dc5abe5e299a@googlegroups.com>, <jef_dex@yahoo.com> wrote: >Dear all, > >If I take the following postscript-file: > >%!PS-Adobe-3.0 >/Arial findfont >15 scalefont >setfont >72 200 moveto >(text) show >showpage > >then it nicely displays the "text" in Arial, if opening in Adobe Illustrator CS6 Tryout. > >But I want it to display in Myriad Pro, so I should change the findfont-command: > >/Myriad-Pro findfont > >or something l...

why "::", not "."

about "++" and "--"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"my" and "our"

"or" and "and"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

"out" and "in out"

Font Book vs. "Those Professional Font Managers"
Here's an example of something that is trivial to do in Apple's Font Book and I'm curious as to how easily the same thing is accomplished in one of the "professional" font managers such as Font Explorer or Suitcase Fusion. When Adobe's Creative Suite 2 is installed a folder is created in Library/Application Support/Fonts that contains some 180 .otf files each of which contains a single face within a font family. Thus a given font family can be represented by one or more .otf files. What is helpful (at least to me) is to place all of the .otf files for a given ...

Font Request: "The Batman" (Animated Series) Title Font
Hi, folks... I've searched the net, but I can't find the font used on the opening title of "The Batman" animated series. I've found severals different fonts for Batman, from the "Batman & Robin" Animated Series to "Batman Forever" and "Batman Bewins". But I can't find anything on "The Batman". Can you guys help me on this? Regards, MstrControl mstrcontrol@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, folks... > > I've searched the net, but I can't find the font used on the opening > title of "The Batman" anim...

Converting Mac Fonts "Helvetica Neue" to Window fonts
Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. Can anybody help me? Or anyone like to exchange fonts? Thank you! Claire wrote: > Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? > I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). > http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Kind regards Bj�rn Studio Smalbro > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Thanks for the info. To me, that is a major limitation. No hurry for that upgrade then! ...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

Set Font for Text in "Edit Icon"
Where do I set/change the font that is used when editing icons? Hi Gerd Double click on the "A" in the Icon Editor. Regards, Luca ...

"Decent font"-error in text-mode
Hello. I'm trying to start up a game server, in text-mode in linux. I havn't installed any X-windows server, cause I administer it totally remotely. I have set GraphicsDriver ttydrv. Anyway. The game server I trying to start through wine only generates text, but through a custom console in a window, with its own font I guess. When I try ro run it in wine I get a "err:wineconsole:WINECON_Fatal Couldn't find a decent font, aborting" message. Isn't there a way to bypass this, I mean, in text-mode linux, the font has no importance. I just want it to ru...

Web resources about - [fonts] Installing "local" fonts (lm) - comp.text.tex