!LaTex Error : The font size command \normal size is not defined.

Hello ,
I am novice to Latex.I have installed teTex release version3.0.
I am trying to compile one of the tex files using latex , but unable to
because of latex error.

!LaTex Error : The font size command \normal size is not defined.
there is probably something wrong with the class file.

Can anybody please help me in resolving this.

Thanks in advance
Bhuvana

 "bhuvana" <bhuvana.aradhya@gmail.com> writes:
>I am novice to Latex.I have installed teTex release version3.0.
>I am trying to compile one of the tex files using latex , but unable to
>because of latex error.
>
>!LaTex Error : The font size command \normal size is not defined.
>there is probably something wrong with the class file.
>
>Can anybody please help me in resolving this.

being a novice, you've probably not been told about the uk tex faq,
http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq -- if you'd known about it, you might have
found.

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=normalszmiss

unless you're using some really broken documentclass, the likeliest
thing is you've forgotten the \documentclass command in your document.

you would probably profit from looking one of the standard "getting
started" latex tutorials -- i always recommend the "not so short
guide"

http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf

but there's a large list in
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tutorials
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0

0
milne1 (4)
10/18/2005 2:42:03 PM
Thanks for replying to my post.

How to make sure that font style/size in graphics matches with text font/size?
Hi, I'm writing my phd thesis with pdfLaTeX (KOMA script package with "standard" serif fonts, 11 pt) and now have to create technical drawings, schemes and diagrams. (My thesis is about engineering, so there will have to be some technical drawings and sketches, flow charts and schemes, fotos and many many graphs... I'm writing on a PowerBook with OS X, but am also working on a PC with Windows XP.) I'm not sure what software to use to create (vector) graphics and how to ensure that font size and style look good with the text of the document... Should the text in the grap...

Adjusting font-size for system font-size
In Windows XP, there's an accessability wizard that allows the user to change the font size for readability. There's probably something similar in other operating systems. I think it would be a nice thing to do for any users with large system font sizes to detect that and offer up an alternative stylesheet. I don't know how to approach this, though, and I'm sure it involves more than CSS. Is it possible to detect this setting? Ian -- http://www.bookstacks.org/ On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:53:45 GMT, Ian <blank@blank.com> wrote: >I think it would be a nice th...

Matlab-graph text font size and enlarging window size automatically
Hi, I'm plotting three subplots on one figure and the labels (x and y and title) are all intefering with each other. How can I enlarge the window that appears (without manually using the maximize button) or reduce the text size or make sure the text doesnt overlap? Also on a seperate note if I want to make an if statement that makes sure a value is an integer how can I do that?? i.e if num isnt integer num = 1 end Thanks in advance Dan Hi, in edit, file object properties you can change the size and the font of every label and title. For the other question, I don't know John Daniel Jones wrote: > > > Hi, > > I'm plotting three subplots on one figure and the labels (x and y > and > title) are all intefering with each other. How can I enlarge the > window that appears (without manually using the maximize button) or > reduce the text size or make sure the text doesnt overlap? > > Also on a seperate note if I want to make an if statement that > makes > sure a value is an integer how can I do that?? > > i.e > > if num isnt integer > num = 1 > end > > Thanks in advance > > Dan Thanks John, That works for the current figure but I want the same font size to be used everytime the script file produces the plots. When a new figure is created the font sizes etc all change back. Any ideas? Cheers Dan John wrote: > > > Hi, > > in edit, file object properties you can change the s...

font-size starting size
Hello, I just joined this group and saw the discussion "What do you think of resizing 1em to 10px?" I am somewhat confused by what y'all think should be used as a reference size. I was surprised that someone actually suggested ems as a reference. Ems are relative to a selected point size, the width in points of a capital M. If no point size is given, what size does an em become? The browser obviously must decide. Also setting the body text to 62.5% is, well, stupid. % of what? I should *assume* 16 pixels? Bad thinking. And not my experience with browsers. ...

Font size and plot size.
Using version 7.1, I have a plot that I make and it looks fine. I put a title on the plot it looks fine. The boss wants the font of the title and x and y labels bigger, so I set(0,'DefaultTextFontSize',24); set(0,'DefaultAxisFontSize',24); as the first 2 lines of my m file. Now the plot looks like hell because the title is clipped. Why isn't matlab 'smart enough' to figure out that it needs to make the plot smaller? What do I need to do to not have the title clipped? (new boss and/or smaller font size are not viable options :-) Bruce -- +-------------...

change matlab workspace font size and editor font size
dear all I wish to change the workspace font size and the editor font size. How do I do it? Thanks in advance, Thanks I have the suggestion in another question posted earlier. "langtran" <lang.tran@iom-world.org> wrote in message news:7795881.1207239680638.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org... > dear all > I wish to change the workspace font size and the editor font size. How do > I do it? > Thanks in advance, Open the Preference window using the Preferences menu item on the File menu. There is a Fonts item in the Preferences that will let ...

Preferred Size, Minimum Size, Size
I'm a little confused when I should use the various JComponent methods: setPreferredSize, setMinimumSize and setSize. From what I can tell: setPreferredSize(Dimension) - This is (obviously) the preferred size of the component. As far as I can tell, this is used to determine what size the component should be when pack() is used. setMinimumSize - The component cannot be any smaller than this. setSize - Set the current size (hard value). What I'm confused about is... 1. When I should use each method. 2. Currently, when I resize a frame, the JTextBoxes will resize for part of the ti...

Font size in text Field and text Area
I am using swing. I want to reduce the size of the font in text areas and text fields to fit more in. Is there an easy to do this?? Mark On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:42:15 GMT, "Mark and Ingrid Nugent" <nugget@in.com.au> wrote or quoted : >I am using swing. I want to reduce the size of the font in text areas and >text fields to fit more in. Is there an easy to do this?? see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/font.html You can setFont individually, or change the LAF. -- Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green. Coaching, problem solving, economical contract programming. See http://m...

Figures captions font size bigger than font size used in document
Hi, I would kindly appreciate some help if someobody could show me (if it is possible - ???) how to give a figure a caption text of the same size that is used on the text of the hole document currently set to footnotesize. While placing caption to figures the caption text is of the size "normalsize" and it is desired to have a caption with font size "footnotesize" Many work arounds were tried with the following commands, \floatingfigure \includegraphics \epsfig \minipage the web was searched and some books consulted with out success Best Regards On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:30:49 +0100, Lathe_Biosas <lathe_biosas@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I would kindly appreciate some help if someobody could show me (if it > is possible - ???) > how to give a figure a caption text of the same size that is used on > the text of the hole document currently set to footnotesize. > > While placing caption to figures the caption text is of the size > "normalsize" and it is desired to have a caption with font size > "footnotesize" > > Many work arounds were tried with the following commands, > \floatingfigure > \includegraphics > \epsfig > \minipage > > the web was searched and some books consulted with out success I think you will find the caption package a great relief then. Be sure to grab the latest version from CTAN, see <http://www.ctan.org/info?id=caption>. -- Morten Perfe...

font size relative to "top level" font size

Urgent problem with font sizes in latex: signature page fonts, chapter page chapter name font
Hi there, I am a newbie using Latex for writing my thesis. I have no clue how to change the .sty or .cls files as I am using others templates, (.sty files) directly on Winedt and editing them with my text. I use a document class: report.The chapter font size in the beginning page of each chapter has a large font size. Is there a way I can reduce this font size to12? Also in the table of contents page the dots dont extend to the page numbers for the chapters and main headings. Only subsections etc., have dots extending to page numbers. Any help on this? The Signature page shows up font sizes...

Text font size
Hi all, I've got a piece of code that I would like to be able to run on both Windows and Linux (FC2). It basically all seems compatible, except for some major differences in font sizes. Initially I wrote the code in Windows with R13 and got it all looking good. Now I'm trying to run it in R14 on Linux, but the font sizes are all wrong. Here's a snippet of the code; figure('Position',[50 50 300 150]); axis([0 250 0 100]); set(gca,'Position',[0 0 1 1]); text(0,50,'Test','FontSize',60); On Windows, the text almost filled the figure window. On L...

Text size and bar chart plot size
The default text size for plots and bar graphs is too small relative to the size of the plot, so we can increase the font size. However, if you increase it too much, the text will collide. I have a bar chart with a text label under each bar along the x axis in 18 pt font, but at this size the text labels collide. I can't reduce the fontsize because it needs to be legible. I would like to space the bars farther apart so the text labels don't overlap. I have tried everything (even changing the bar width, the plot and data aspect ratios; the tick intervals etc), and yes, I know all the pr...

Front end text formatting
Hi, I'm totally new to formatting in Mathematica. Please could someone help me make it so my default.nb does fractions that don't shrink in font size? Also, my table font is set to courier and the equations don't do italics as usual. How do I solve this? Many thanks well look hard for options - there are many that may help. here's a clue if you can't find any... on my box Mathematica doubles the Box height when I enter a faction and the fraction is the same size. try changing style sheets? Mine does that for Style Input but not Style Text. For style...

How to setup the font type/font size for a text in Version 8.xx ???
In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to write into a graphic. But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? Regards Paul Shadowfax wrote: > paulbabb@gmx.ch (Paul Babb) wrote in > news:bg8k62$d34$06$1@news.t-online.com: > > >>In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. >>Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to >>write into a graphic. >> >>But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? > ...

How to setup the font type/font size for a text in Version 8.xx ???
In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to write into a graphic. But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? Regards Paul Shadowfax wrote: > paulbabb@gmx.ch (Paul Babb) wrote in > news:bg8k62$d34$06$1@news.t-online.com: > > >>In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. >>Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to >>write into a graphic. >> >>But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? > ...

LaTeX Font Warning: Size substitutions with differences (Font) up to 4.0pt have occurred (and 1 more)...
Hi Again, Okay, I've almost cleaned up all warnings, 2 more remain... The full log can be found here: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/158051/ However, the important bits are as follows... Problem 1... ..... Package hyperref Warning: Wrong driver `hdvipson.def'; (hyperref) pdfTeX is running in PDF mode. (hyperref) Forcing driver `hpdftex.def'. *hyperref using driver hpdftex* (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hpdftex.def) (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsmath/amsmath.sty For additional information on...

Font and size in controls and text
Is there anywhere where I can see a general rule for what fonts and sizes I should use for buttons, areas of text and so on in my app so that it fits in my other system applications? Apologies for all of the school boy style questions this afternoon, thanks for your help! Graeme In article <BE4E381B.2160%graeme@memoblock.fsnet.co.uk>, Graeme Warren <graeme@memoblock.fsnet.co.uk> wrote: > Is there anywhere where I can see a general rule for what fonts and sizes I > should use for buttons, areas of text and so on in my app so that it fits in > my other syste...

Huge font size for text
I have an issue with printing notebooks; the input cells print in a small font and the text cells in a huge font. There is much less difference between sizes in the on-screen view. I am using the default style and have set all options to their defaults (at least, I believe so). I'm preparing a notebook for a job application that is important to me and I want to print my output properly. Any suggestions as to what has happened (if anything) and how to fix it? thanks for any help, Matthew. ...

Adjusting font size in LaTeX.
In pdftex I often take a font primitive statement like: \font\rm bchr8r at 10.05 pt and adjust the font size by tiny increments to increase or decrease the page count. In contemporary LaTeX, what is the least troublesome way of making such fine adjustments while avoiding use of the \font primitive? John Culleton Am Tue, 30 Sep 2008 06:26:46 -0700 (PDT) schrieb wexfordpress: > In pdftex I often take a font primitive statement like: > \font\rm bchr8r at 10.05 pt > > and adjust the font size by tiny increments to increase or decrease > the page count. > > In contempo...

Changing font size of text
Hi, I'm working with a rather large Simulink model and most of the blocks are put into subsystems. For a good overview I use masks to give each subsystem a name (I prefer this over the name under the block). If I use "fit the system to view" the text on the blocks becomes very small. Is there a way to change the font size of text with the drawing commands? ...

size font on a text box
How can i change the size of font on a text box acording the number of character (>25 characters the font size 12 ) Something like this... Use the textbox's Exit event. Private Sub txtBox_Exit(Cancel As Integer) If Len(Me!txtBox) > 25 Then Me!txtBox.FontSize = 12 Else Me!txtBox.FontSize = 10 ' your default here End If End Sub "Themis Parintas ste kardias" <steka2@otenet.gr> wrote in message news:cilpru$k2v$1@usenet.otenet.gr... > How can i change the size of font on a text box acording the number of > character (>25 characters the font size 12 ) > > ...

converting vrml FontStyle size to Point Font size
I read in the VRML 1.0(C) spec that the units of the FontStyle size field are in "object space units." How can I convert this to a standard font size ala "points" (e.g. 10pt, 12pt, 14pt...)? "mscdex" <mscdex@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1187586676.941787.69260@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... >I read in the VRML 1.0(C) spec that the units of the FontStyle size > field are in "object space units." How can I convert this to a > standard font size ala "points" (e.g. 10pt, 12pt, 14pt...)? > 15 Ciceros=16 Picas...

Font, size and colors of text...
I am wondering if I can change font, size and colors of text, with awk? Tks Steph --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.522 / Virus Database: 320 - Release Date: 29/09/2003 Hello, On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:09:02 +0200, Stephane Collas wrote: > I am wondering if I can change font, size and colors of text, with awk? unfortunately, such a question cannot be answered. Sorry, Stepan Kasal In article <blog21$la4$1@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr>, Stephane Collas <stephane.collas@wanadoo.fr> wrote: % I am won...