\phi versus \varphi

Greetings -

My anal compulsive editors (who soend their off-time wondering if anal
compulsive should be hyphenated or not - I digress...) have asked me to
consider a global change of \phi to \varphi. While this is doable
(although it amounts to changing approximately 1100 instances of \phi
over 800+ pages of the book), I'm trying to see if there is a compelling
argument one way or the other beyond aesthetics (which in this instance
don't lead me one way or the other).

In said document, phi (of whatever glyph) represents a parameter (in big
multinomial models and likelihoods and such). My impression had been
that \phi was more appropriately used for such things, and that \varphi
really was the lower-case of the Greek letter phi (in other words, if I
was writing *text* in Greek, I'd use \varphi). But this is math (which
is Greek to some. Again I digress...), so I'd thought \phi.

Any thoughts? I've resisted using my 'get stuffed' email macro to the
editor until I'd thought about it a bit - and got some more learned (or
at least objective) opinions.

Ta much...
0
cooch171 (27)

On 5 =D0=B0=D0=B2=D0=B3, 09:21, cooc...@NOSPAM.verizon.net wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> My anal compulsive editors (who soend their off-time wondering if anal
> compulsive should be hyphenated or not - I digress...) have asked me to
> consider a global change of \phi to \varphi. While this is doable
> (although it amounts to changing approximately 1100 instances of \phi
> over 800+ pages of the book), I'm trying to see if there is a compelling
> argument one way or the other beyond aesthetics (which in this instance
> don't lead me one way or the other).
>
> In said document, phi (of whatever glyph) represents a parameter (in big
> multinomial models and likelihoods and such). My impression had been
> that \phi was more appropriately used for such things, and that \varphi
> really was the lower-case of the Greek letter phi (in other words, if I
> was writing *text* in Greek, I'd use \varphi). But this is math (which
> is Greek to some. Again I digress...), so I'd thought \phi.
>
> Any thoughts? I've resisted using my 'get stuffed' email macro to the
> editor until I'd thought about it a bit - and got some more learned (or
> at least objective) opinions.

I think if editors asked you to change all \phi (this glyph) to
\varphi (that glyph) you should agree and change them :-)
But do this in "minimal" way:
\let\oldphi\phi
\let\phi\varphi

---
WBW, Vladimir Lomov
0
Lomov.Vl (43)
8/5/2009 3:45:33 AM
 cooch17@NOSPAM.verizon.net writes:
>My anal compulsive editors (who soend their off-time wondering if anal
>compulsive should be hyphenated or not - I digress...) have asked me to
>consider a global change of \phi to \varphi. While this is doable
>(although it amounts to changing approximately 1100 instances of \phi
>over 800+ pages of the book), I'm trying to see if there is a compelling
>argument one way or the other beyond aesthetics (which in this instance
>don't lead me one way or the other).
>
>In said document, phi (of whatever glyph) represents a parameter (in big
>multinomial models and likelihoods and such). My impression had been
>that \phi was more appropriately used for such things, and that \varphi
>really was the lower-case of the Greek letter phi (in other words, if I
>was writing *text* in Greek, I'd use \varphi). But this is math (which
>is Greek to some. Again I digress...), so I'd thought \phi.

my recollection is that none of my (modern) greek textbooks use
\varphi, but that my teacher's handwriting (and certainly mine) do.  i
don't have any textbooks here, so can't comment further until i've
taken a look at them.  if appropriate, i could dig out the books this
evening.  (of course, there's no maths in any of those books.)

apostoulos syropoulos (the author of several packages on ctan) is a
mathematician, iirc, and might be able to provide a more nearly
authoritative answer.

but as vladimir's pointed out, the change to the sources would surely
take less than a minute anyway so you can delay...
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
> have asked me to
> consider a global change of \phi to \varphi. While this is doable
> (although it amounts to changing approximately 1100 instances of \phi
> over 800+ pages of the book),

No, don't change 1100 instances.  That is the Microsoft Word way to do
it.  Instead, use the TeX way.  Here: I looked at a document I am
working on.  Near the top I have these lines...

\renewcommand{\phi}{\varphi}
\renewcommand{\epsilon}{\varepsilon}
\renewcommand{\emptyset}{\varnothing}

I guess only one of them is what you want, but others can be done, too!

> Any thoughts? I've resisted using my 'get stuffed' email macro to the
> editor until I'd thought about it a bit - and got some more learned (or
> at least objective) opinions.

Save your energy for important arguments.  In this instance, just do
what the editor wants.

--
G. A. Edgar                              http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/
0
wrote:
>> have asked me to
>> consider a global change of \phi to \varphi. While this is doable
>> (although it amounts to changing approximately 1100 instances of \phi
>> over 800+ pages of the book),
>
> No, don't change 1100 instances. =A0That is the Microsoft Word way to do
> it. =A0Instead, use the TeX way. =A0Here: I looked at a document I am
> working on. =A0Near the top I have these lines...
>
> \renewcommand{\phi}{\varphi}
> \renewcommand{\epsilon}{\varepsilon}
> \renewcommand{\emptyset}{\varnothing}

I recommend to use \let. In case if you want glyph that (old) \phi
produce how you can get it?

\let\oldphi\phi
\let\phi\varphi

Now \phi prints the same glyph as \varphi while \oldphi gives you the
glyph which \phi prints by default.

Actually I input following lines into my document when I need \phi
prints the same glyph as \varphi (as well as epsilon):

\makeatletter
\let\old@phi\phi
\let\old@varphi\varphi
\let\old@epsilon\epsilon
\let\old@varepsilon\varepsilon
\let\phi\old@varphi
\let\varphi\old@phi
\let\epsilon\old@varepsilon
\let\varepsilon\old@epsilon
\makeatother

Don't bother that @ do here these lines just swap \phi<->\varphi,
\epsilon<->\varepsilon.

By the way, if one editor thinks that (old) \phi should be as (old)
\varphi then the lines does job. If another editor thinks
that (old) \varphi should be as (old) \phi just comment lines.

---
WBW, Vladimir Lomov
0
Lomov.Vl (43)
8/5/2009 1:00:58 PM
cooch17@nospam.verizon.net wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> My anal compulsive editors (who soend their off-time wondering if anal
> compulsive should be hyphenated or not - I digress...) have asked me to
> consider a global change of \phi to \varphi. While this is doable
> (although it amounts to changing approximately 1100 instances of \phi
> over 800+ pages of the book), I'm trying to see if there is a compelling
> argument one way or the other beyond aesthetics (which in this instance
> don't lead me one way or the other).
>
> In said document, phi (of whatever glyph) represents a parameter (in big
> multinomial models and likelihoods and such). My impression had been
> that \phi was more appropriately used for such things, and that \varphi
> really was the lower-case of the Greek letter phi (in other words, if I
> was writing *text* in Greek, I'd use \varphi). But this is math (which
> is Greek to some. Again I digress...), so I'd thought \phi.
>
> Any thoughts? I've resisted using my 'get stuffed' email macro to the
> editor until I'd thought about it a bit - and got some more learned (or
> at least objective) opinions.

I think \varphi  looks better most of the time (partly because it seems
to come up more often in handwriting). The \phi might in fact be
confused with \emptyset by a casual reader. For the big letter there
is always \Phi available.

--
Marc
0

\renewcommand{\phi}{\varphi}

would save the search and replace time (although on a good machine, not
too odious...).

Cheers...

cooch17@NOSPAM.verizon.net wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> My anal compulsive editors (who soend their off-time wondering if anal
> compulsive should be hyphenated or not - I digress...) have asked me to
> consider a global change of \phi to \varphi. While this is doable
> (although it amounts to changing approximately 1100 instances of \phi
> over 800+ pages of the book), I'm trying to see if there is a compelling
> argument one way or the other beyond aesthetics (which in this instance
> don't lead me one way or the other).
>
> In said document, phi (of whatever glyph) represents a parameter (in big
> multinomial models and likelihoods and such). My impression had been
> that \phi was more appropriately used for such things, and that \varphi
> really was the lower-case of the Greek letter phi (in other words, if I
> was writing *text* in Greek, I'd use \varphi). But this is math (which
> is Greek to some. Again I digress...), so I'd thought \phi.
>
> Any thoughts? I've resisted using my 'get stuffed' email macro to the
> editor until I'd thought about it a bit - and got some more learned (or
> at least objective) opinions.
>
> Ta much...
0
cooch17 (357)
8/5/2009 7:37:01 PM
> I think \varphi  looks better most of the time (partly because it seems
> to come up more often in handwriting). The \phi might in fact be
> confused with \emptyset by a casual reader. For the big letter there
> is always \Phi available.

I tend to agree (about the aesthetic merits of \varphi), and understand
your point about \phi - n one would 'casually' read the MS in question,
though. ;-)

As for cap \Phi, I thought about that. If (i) the vast majority of the
other parameters weren't lower case, and (ii) if I was using cap symbols
for matrices and vectors (by and large), I'd consider it.

Thanks again.
0
cooch171 (27)
8/6/2009 12:16:53 AM
On Aug 4, 7:21=A0pm, cooc...@NOSPAM.verizon.net wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> My anal compulsive editors (who soend their off-time wondering if anal
> compulsive should be hyphenated or not - I digress...) have asked me to
> consider a global change of \phi to \varphi. While this is doable
> (although it amounts to changing approximately 1100 instances of \phi
> over 800+ pages of the book), I'm trying to see if there is a compelling
> argument one way or the other beyond aesthetics (which in this instance
> don't lead me one way or the other).
>
> In said document, phi (of whatever glyph) represents a parameter (in big
> multinomial models and likelihoods and such). My impression had been
> that \phi was more appropriately used for such things, and that \varphi
> really was the lower-case of the Greek letter phi (in other words, if I
> was writing *text* in Greek, I'd use \varphi). But this is math (which
> is Greek to some. Again I digress...), so I'd thought \phi.
>
> Any thoughts?

I see \phi and \varphi in roughly equal numbers in math
journal/monographs/textbooks. The result of \phi (in CM fonts
anyway) somehow looks more like a symbol than a variable,
so I personally prefer \varphi. Also, a lot of beople (incorectly,
IMO)
use \phi for the empty set.

Since \varphi takes twice as long to type, my articles all begin with

  \let\oldphi\phi % optional
  \let\phi\varphi

If I had to deal with really anal retentive editors, I'd run a
search-and-replace operation: just in case they were so
AR as to require the _source_ be changed. The total time
to change 1100 instances? No more than it takes to type
the above two lines. Really.

Dan
0
luecking (1319)
8/6/2009 3:24:59 AM
cooch17@NOSPAM.verizon.net schrieb:
> Greetings -
>
> My anal compulsive editors (who soend their off-time wondering if anal
> compulsive should be hyphenated or not - I digress...) have asked me to
> consider a global change of \phi to \varphi. While this is doable
> (although it amounts to changing approximately 1100 instances of \phi
> over 800+ pages of the book), I'm trying to see if there is a compelling
> argument one way or the other beyond aesthetics (which in this instance
> don't lead me one way or the other).
>
> In said document, phi (of whatever glyph) represents a parameter (in big
> multinomial models and likelihoods and such). My impression had been
> that \phi was more appropriately used for such things, and that \varphi
> really was the lower-case of the Greek letter phi (in other words, if I
> was writing *text* in Greek, I'd use \varphi). But this is math (which
> is Greek to some. Again I digress...), so I'd thought \phi.
>
> Any thoughts? I've resisted using my 'get stuffed' email macro to the
> editor until I'd thought about it a bit - and got some more learned (or
> at least objective) opinions.
>
> Ta much...

A lot of books in my field (electrical machines) use both symbols for
different values. While \varphi often represents an angle, \phi
represents a factor.

So, if your editor tells you what to do you'll prob. have no other
chance. But you both should look what's convenient in your field...

Mathias
On 2009-08-06 08:34 +0100, Mathias Lindner wrote:
> A lot of books in my field (electrical machines) use both symbols for
> different values. While \varphi often represents an angle, \phi
> represents a factor.

BTW, what does 'var' stand for in \varphi?

--
Emacs uptime: 10 days, 13 hours, 59 minutes, 6 seconds
0
Leo schrieb:
> On 2009-08-06 08:34 +0100, Mathias Lindner wrote:
>> A lot of books in my field (electrical machines) use both symbols for
>> different values. While \varphi often represents an angle, \phi
>> represents a factor.
>
> BTW, what does 'var' stand for in \varphi?

Variant.

--
Replace “READ-MY-SIG” by “tcalveu” to answer by mail.
0
On 2009-08-06 10:43 +0100, Philipp Stephani wrote:
> Leo schrieb:
>> On 2009-08-06 08:34 +0100, Mathias Lindner wrote:
>>> A lot of books in my field (electrical machines) use both symbols for
>>> different values. While \varphi often represents an angle, \phi
>>> represents a factor.
>>
>> BTW, what does 'var' stand for in \varphi?
>
> Variant.

Thank you for the quick reply.

--
Emacs uptime: 10 days, 14 hours, 8 minutes, 11 seconds
0
Am 04.08.2009, 20:21 Uhr, schrieb <cooch17@nospam.verizon.net>:

> Greetings -
>
> My anal compulsive editors (who soend their off-time wondering if anal
> compulsive should be hyphenated or not - I digress...) have asked me to
> consider a global change of \phi to \varphi. While this is doable
> (although it amounts to changing approximately 1100 instances of \phi
> over 800+ pages of the book), I'm trying to see if there is a compelling
> argument one way or the other beyond aesthetics (which in this instance
> don't lead me one way or the other).

Not really. Either do a global search and replace with your text editor,
or simply switch the meaning of \phi and \varphi in the limbo. Each takes
only a minute.

> In said document, phi (of whatever glyph) represents a parameter (in big
> multinomial models and likelihoods and such).

Check what the conventions in your field are, in my case the IUPAC "Green
Book" (Quantities, Units and Symbols in Physical Chemistry,
http://old.iupac.org/publications/books/gbook/index.html) is the
autoritative source.

> My impression had been that \phi was more appropriately used for such
> things, and that \varphi really was the lower-case of the Greek letter
> phi (in other words, if I was writing *text* in Greek, I'd use \varphi).

no, an uppercase of \phi is \Phi

text-text

text + text

Index on TEXT versus CHAR(32)... fast exact TEXT matching
I have a table that stores TEXT information. I need query this table to find *exact* matches to the TEXT... no regular expressions, no LIKE queries, etc. The TEXT could be from 1 to 10000+ characters in length, quite variable. If it matters, the TEXT may contain UNICODE characters... Example: CREATE TABLE a (id SERIAL, thetext TEXT); SELECT id FROM a WHERE thetext='Some other text'; One way I thought to optimize this process would be to store an MD5 hash of the "thetext" column and query on that: CREATE TABLE a (id SERIAL, thetext TEXT, thetext_md5 CHAR(...

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly is: \expandafter\ifx\csname pmn@scaled\endcsname\relax \let\pmn@scaled\@empty \else \edef\pmn@scaled{s*[1.2]}% \fi I think what this says is "if pnm@scaled is not defined (case 1), leave it empty, otherwise set it to "s[1.2]". But the else clause is not working correctly, and I don't know how to differentiate between "defined by keyval but with no value" and "defined by keyval but with a value". Also I'm pretty sure I don't really know the difference between \let and \edef. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. JDO john_owens@yahoo.com schrieb: > I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble > getting the right behavior, which is: > > If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a > variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". > ...

How to print ? as axis label? TEX string '\phi' generates another type of phi.
TEX string '\phi' generates another type of phi (a circle crossed by a slash) rather than ?. Changing the font to 'Times New Roman' doesn't work. TEX string '\phi' generates another type of phi (a circle crossed by a slash) rather than the phi of a spiral shape. Changing the font to 'Times New Roman' doesn't work. On 3/16/2012 8:45 AM, Ha wrote: > TEX string '\phi' generates another type of phi (a circle crossed by a > slash) rather than the phi of a spiral shape. Changing the font to > 'Times New Roman' doesn't work. C...

Pages

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

Type-written text to TeX?
Slightly OT, but I have several hundred pages of typewritten material already scanned in. (I just have a PDF file with one image per page.) There is a small amount of maths in it, but not much. Can anyone advise me of a good OCR program to use? I'd prefer a Linux program, but am not religious. I tried gocr, which was useless, and am presently trying clara, which looks as though it might work, although it seems to require several degrees in Computer Science to understand and use. Also, is there a program to abstract the images from the PDF file? I've written a little Java program to ...

Text versus Number field.
I see other posts where some say fields that will hold a number with leading zeros should be stored as text instead of numbers. This is very inefficient though, as a string of digit characters takes up much more memory than a 32bit or even a 64bit int. Storing as a number still allows for formatting when displaying the number, correct? I am creating a table and would like opinions regarding this please. I work for a telephone company and there is a great deal of difference between local UK numbers (one leading zero), international numbers (double zero) local numbers (no leading zeros). Y...

XOM versus BP versus MSFT versus NOVL
Some food for thought. Regrettably, I did not get a chance to catch a certain prime-time infomercial (and such is not directly relevant to COLA anyway), but I can go on a more general rant regarding oil companies -- and other, more COLA-relevant companies. First, identification of the oil/gas companies appears to be limited to about 3: XOM - aka Exxon-Mobil. BP - British Petroleum CVX - Chevron Corporation (this according to http://finance.yahoo.com/q/co?s=XOM ) Total net income for all three: about $89.1B, of which XOM corrals $43.64B -- almost half. BBC news reports "Another recor...

text 2 text

Converting pain text to TeX
Hi, I am trying to convert a plain text file to TeX format. For this I wrote a awk script to convert double quotes to the correct type in TeX, as in #!/usr/bin/awk -f # DQ2TQ : Converts double qoutes in plaint text file to TeX format # USAGE # dq2tq filename > newfilename BEGIN { count = 0 } /"/ { for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) {if (count % 2 == 0) {sub(/"/,"``",$i);count++} else {sub(/"/,"''",$i);count++}} } { print } However this does not seem to work right. Given the following input : " " " " &...

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter...

equal? versus eql? versus == versus === verus <=>
I recently found myself explaining to a friend how Ruby's various comparison operators work. In the process, I tried to find some decent documentation on why Ruby has so many different ways to test for equality, how they differ and how they should be implemented and used. I was unable to find any such documentation, so I decided to have a go myself :-) You can see the fruits of my labours here: http://www.texperts.com/2007/10/16/navigating-the-equality-maze/ I believe that it's an accurate reflection of both how things work and the philosophy underlying the design of this area. I wo...

MIME types and text versus plain
Slightly OT, but I know some of the regulars here have more experience with these things... Is there an RFC I can cite which explains that, in a MIME multipart message or document, the section described as Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable should NOT be chock full of html tags and &xxxx; entities, especially when immediately followed by _exactly_ the same content denoted as Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ? The offending piece of web-based software respon...

TeX-Interpreter for static text(GUI)!
Hello everybody! I've got the problem that when I type LaTeX-orders like V_{DS} or $V_{DS} $ a.s.o. as strings in static text, this orders are not converted. How can I manage, that my LaTeX-orders are interpreted! Thank you very much! Thomas ...

change text color with TeX support?
All Consider the string involving greek letters to appear in a plot title made with the command: SetaEL='\fontsize{14}{\eta}\fontsize{10}EL\fontsize{10}=' when used in a title argument, the string SetaEL plots like: etaEL= except that eta will be the actual greek letter of course. This works! BUT THE COLOR ID DEFAULT IS BLACK. THE QUESTION: How to change my SetaEL command useing TeX syntax, so it is say red? Thanks in advance....tony Could you be a little more specific? If you want the whole title to be in red (or any other color), I don't think you need to...

text crossing lines (plot versus contour)
> plot(1:10) > text(5,5,'5') notice how the number 5 and the straight line cross each other. Compare this to labeled contours where the numbers have a little white space around them. How can I do this when I use text in plots? "Paul ": <SNIP cannot see his/her numbers... > > plot(1:10) > > text(5,5,'5') one of the solutions plot(1:10,'-or','markerfacecolor',[1,0,0]); xoff=.2; yoff=.3; text(5+xoff,5+yoff,'5','backgroundcolor',[0,1,0]); us ...

Mac versus Windows CS3 regarding text
Hi group I'm a recent convert to Apple, I just bought a new IMac, and installed Photoshop CS3. I'm having a hard time working with text (it's fuzzy)and after looking at newsgroup searches it seems as if the "fuzzy" text I'm getting is something that I need to learn how to control with a lengthy education. The problem is I've been working with photoshop on windows for ten years and this is not an issue. I even went on the old Win verson of Cs2 and the text still looks great without doing a thing. Can anyone help me with this issue? TIA Jim Bostelle On ...

free TeX-aware text editor for Windows
Syn http://syn.sourceforge.net/ Hadn't seen this noted here previously and it's not listed at http://home.nexgo.de/itsfd/texwin.htm (just sent them a note on that). Doesn't support handwriting recognition on my pen slate (still using WinTeXShell for that), but otherwise very serviceable. William -- William Adams http://members.aol.com/willadams Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow. willadams@aol.com (William F. Adams) wrote in message news:<20040214144824.18962.00002250@mb-m28.aol.com>... > Syn > > http://syn.sourceforge.net/ > > Hadn't seen this n...

Convert TeX to normal text (stripping macros)
Hi all, Does anyone know a good way to strip a TeX file from its macros in order to run grammar checking from LangauageTool on it? Please also see this bug report for Language Tool: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2880449&group_id=110216&atid=655717 A Java implementation would be preferred since Language Tool is in Java so it runs platform independently. Thanks, Pander On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 03:39:01 -0700 (PDT), Pander wrote: > Does anyone know a good way to strip a TeX file from its macros I suggest you use one of the tools that convert from dvi/postscript/pdf to text: dvi2tty pstotext pdftotext That is, analyze the output, not the input to (La)TeX. Bob T. ...

using TeX characters in a GUI text box
I am trying to use a TeX character such as the Greek letter mu in a GUI textbox, but I cannot get this to work. If I try to set the 'string' property for the GUI object using '\mu' this just displays '\mu'. Is there a way I can use the 'text' command as you would for a figure to put Greek letters into GUI objects? "Sean Larkin" <slarkin71278@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <gk37he$t7$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Is there a way I can put Greek letters into GUI objects? I don't know for sure, but you might be able to do this using ...

Web resources about - \phi versus \varphi - comp.text.tex

Superman and Batman versus Aliens and Predator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Superman and Batman vs. Aliens and Predator is a comic book co-published by DC Comics and Dark Horse Comics . It was written by Mark Schultz ...

Europe Versus Facebook Files Prism Complaints
Student group Europe Versus Facebook has tangled with the social network before, in case you couldn’t tell by its name, filing numerous complaints ...

Report shows key differences in what Facebook users do after they click ads on mobile versus desktop
... it comes to making Wall posts, clicking links, playing videos and viewing photos.The ease of taking these different actions on desktop versus ...

Creative Leaders versus Authoritative Leaders
This chart represents a summary of the kind of creative leadership that is rising and needed in the face of our increasing interconnectedness ...

Fred Versus on the App Store on iTunes
Get Fred Versus on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

GDP versus HC costs - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore La_Fayette's photos on Flickr. La_Fayette has uploaded 135 photos to Flickr.

The Questioner Versus The Answerer
The associate sends a draft brief to the partner, then swings by the partner's office to get comments; who has the upper hand?

Eureka California releasing new LP 'Versus' (check out 2 songs), touring, playing NYC Popfest
Athens, GA noisepop duo made their new LP with MJ from Hookworms. Watch the video for "Eureka California's Night In."

Cramer: Fab versus faux cloud stocks
“Mad Money” host Jim Cramer talks with Salesforce’s Marc Benioff about the fake cloud companies operating in the space.

Apple versus the FBI: Why the lowest-priced iPhone has the US in a tizzy
CNET Apple versus the FBI: Why the lowest-priced iPhone has the US in a tizzy (FAQ) CNET Apple says the fight is about security and privacy ...