'quote' to `quote'

Hi,
what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally
into `shocking', said Sally
  automatically as Tex read the
author.txt file?

Does this method also change "whatever happens," he said
into ``whatever happens.'' he said.

David R

David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally
> into `shocking', said Sally
>   automatically as Tex read the
> author.txt file?

It is possible (e.g. via an active '). But I suspect, this
is a lot easier using a script language or similar.
Also you should consider ['s] coming from genitive
and other uses of the apostrophe.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek@uni-freiburg.de>
0
oberdiek (2375)
1/10/2007 11:38:08 AM
David R wrote:

> what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally
> into `shocking', said Sally
>   automatically as Tex read the
> author.txt file?

Tricky thing to do on the TeX level because you can't tell a quote
from an apostrophe in a reliable and efficient way.

This will probably require pre-processing of author.txt (it's no big
deal with regular expressions).

> Does this method also change "whatever happens," he said
> into ``whatever happens.'' he said.

Assuming you're using Latex: try the csquotes package. See
\MakeOuterQuote{"} in the tutorial.

--
Sender address blackholed; do not reply to From: address.
You can still reach me by email at: plehman gmx net.
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:44:14 +0100, Philipp Lehman <devnull.1.lehman@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> David R wrote:
>
> > what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally
> > into `shocking', said Sally
> >   automatically as Tex read the
> > author.txt file?
>
> Tricky thing to do on the TeX level because you can't tell a quote
> from an apostrophe in a reliable and efficient way.

This might prove an interesting test case (taken from Mystery Mile by
Margery Allingham, 1933):

 ` 'E ain't a foreigner,' said Georse. ` 'E talks same as I do.'

Or this from a little lower down the same page.

 `T'other gentleman wot come s'afternoon was a proper foreigner,' said
 'Andry, ... ` 'E couldn't 'ardly understand what I said to un. 'E got
  riled with I. I couldn't 'elp laughin'.'

> This will probably require pre-processing of author.txt (it's no big
> deal with regular expressions).

Not sure I'd want to write the regexp to deal with those Allingham
examples.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!
I thought that certain other Tex implentations (which I have forgotten
the name of) enable the user to do what I have described with a simple
switch somewhere.  But the implementation I am thinking of was aimed at
scientists not the commercial publishing industry.  I thought that
publishers use latex widely when publishing popular fiction.  Therefore
I thought that this feature would be more useful in latex than other
scientific implementations.  I am surprised to learn that no package has
been written to do this yet.

Is a script something which is written in tex and latex, and which could
use the ifthen package?

How does a pre-processor work?  Is it an executable binary which the tex
processor calls after the \begin{document}

What is the command to call something like this externally?  Where would
the binary reside in the TDS structure?

I dislike c with a passion and know no perl or anything else really.  Is
a binary written on a winxp machine incompatible for Unix based machines?

How does one go about writing a pre-processor as perl or java which will
be compiled automatically by run-time libraries on Unix, and on win XP?

Is there any place on the web which will answer all these questions in
an obvious simple way without bombarding me with millions of command
names and environments?

David R
David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>  schrieb:

> I thought that certain other Tex implentations (which I have forgotten
> the name of) enable the user to do what I have described with a simple
> switch somewhere.

I don't think that such an implementation exists. There exist some
editors that changes quotes while you type your text with the help of
some heuristics that works in most (but not all) cases. To decide if a
' should be changed in a ` isn't easy. Look at the examples of Trevor:
are you able to describe to a human all the rules and the exceptions he
need to know to make the correct decisions?

> But the implementation I am thinking of was aimed at
> scientists not the commercial publishing industry.  I thought that
> publishers use latex widely when publishing popular fiction.  Therefore
> I thought that this feature would be more useful in latex than other
> scientific implementations.  I am surprised to learn that no package has
> been written to do this yet.

I use the csquotes package and add the correct quotes (in my case �..�)
when writing the text. When I get text with wrong quotes, I use search
and replace to correct them and it seldom works without some manual
work.

> How does a pre-processor work?  Is it an executable binary which the tex
> processor calls after the \begin{document}

No it is binary that is called before ("pre") tex to correct or change
the source file.

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
> This might prove an interesting test case (taken from Mystery Mile by
> Margery Allingham, 1933):
>
>  ` 'E ain't a foreigner,' said Georse. ` 'E talks same as I do.'
>
> Or this from a little lower down the same page.
>
>  `T'other gentleman wot come s'afternoon was a proper foreigner,' said
>  'Andry, ... ` 'E couldn't 'ardly understand what I said to un. 'E got
>   riled with I. I couldn't 'elp laughin'.'
>
>> This will probably require pre-processing of author.txt (it's no big
>> deal with regular expressions).
>
> Not sure I'd want to write the regexp to deal with those Allingham
> examples.
>
> Regards, Trevor
>
> <>< Re: deemed!

Here's how I reckon it could be done

can be ignored because it is already what is desired by TeX.  So are
apostrophes at the end of the word and at the middle of the word.

should've and the horses' stable are already what we want.

Now there are only 3 things which need to be changed.
character>

and

" into either `` or ''
character>

and

spacing>''<space>

In the example above  ` 'E ain't a foreigner,' said Georse.
has now become  ` `E ain't a foreigner,' said Georse.

So define a function as \<package>@' for an abbreviation at the
beginning of a word.

Any writer or proof reader can remember one command to be used in one
instance and only at the beginning of a word and not the middle or the
end of it.  This is what lay-people want : a nice and easy life with
only one thing to remember and look out for, not a dozen of things.
Trying to automate this task might inevitably lead to a dozen further
problems.

I think that this solution would be simple, but I might have overlooked
something.

How I go about getting the computer to do this I am pretty ignorant
about and would like further help with.

David R
As I've said before, ``This sort of thing simply can't be automated
'cause it's dependent 'pon language usage. 'Struth.'' 'n' anyone who
doesn't agree will be pounded with a $5' 2"$ pole.

16 times a year I search through all the text of a Journal which I
produce here at my day job checking for:

 - hyphens and determining if they should be left alone (but adding a
discretionary hyphen at the beginning of the compound so that it
doesn't break elsewhere), or be converted to non-breaking hyphens, or
converted to an en or em-dash or a mathematical minus.

 - apostrophes to see if they should be single or double quote marks or
single or double primes or apostrophes

 - `` x '' to see if it should become a multiplication sign

_And_ I have to set all of the ``ff'', ``ffi'' and ``ffl'' ligatures
using an AppleScript (I loathe Quark --- 'n' I doubt that our eventual
upgrade to Quark 7 will change my loathing, though it will (finally!)
allow us to use OpenType fonts w/ ligatures appropriately).
Fortunately, a WordBASIC macro has already pre-processed to set all of
the Greek and other special characters.

If typography were easy, Word wouldn't be the foetid mess which it is.

William

0
willadams (1425)
1/10/2007 1:39:22 PM
David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>  schrieb:

> Here's how I reckon it could be done

> can be ignored because it is already what is desired by TeX.  So are
> apostrophes at the end of the word and at the middle of the word.

And what about this text:

The left quote should be typed as "'" and the right quote should be
typed as "'".

In other languages (e.g. french) they are often spaces between the
opening quote and the first word and between the end of a word and the
closing quote. Or apostrophs at the begin of a word can look different
than an opening quote.

You should really read the documentation of csquotes to get an
impression about the variaty of conventions involved with the handling
of quotes.

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
e-mail: add my first name between the news and the @.
0
news9686 (1970)
1/10/2007 1:45:16 PM
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:23:26 +0000, David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> > This might prove an interesting test case (taken from Mystery Mile by
> > Margery Allingham, 1933):
> >
> >  ` 'E ain't a foreigner,' said Georse. ` 'E talks same as I do.'
>
> Here's how I reckon it could be done

> can be ignored because it is already what is desired by TeX.  So are
> apostrophes at the end of the word and at the middle of the word.
>
> should've and the horses' stable are already what we want.
>
> Now there are only 3 things which need to be changed.
> character>

Incorrect. An informal parse of the opening of that first Allingham
example would be

<quote>&apostrophe;E ...

It's actually dialect for `He

> In the example above  ` 'E ain't a foreigner,' said Georse.
> has now become  ` `E ain't a foreigner,' said Georse.

'Twould be wrong.

God Bless You.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!
David R wrote:

> So define a function as \<package>@' for an abbreviation at the
> beginning of a word.
[...]
> I think that this solution would be simple, but I might have
> overlooked something.

Using a TeX-based solution, you can only look ahead at the following
token(s), but you normally can't look back.

> How I go about getting the computer to do this I am pretty ignorant
> about and would like further help with.

You'd basically make the ' active and define it such that it looks
ahead at the following token(s) and makes a decision. That's all the
information you have on this level. And that's not sufficient to
implement your idea.

--
Philipp Lehman <devnull.1.lehman@spamgourmet.com> writes:

> David R wrote:
>
>> So define a function as \<package>@' for an abbreviation at the
>> beginning of a word.
> [...]
>> I think that this solution would be simple, but I might have
>> overlooked something.
>
> Using a TeX-based solution, you can only look ahead at the following
> token(s), but you normally can't look back.

\ifhmode \ifnum\lastskip>\z@

should detect preceding spaces somewhat reliably.

--
David Kastrup
0
 Ulrike Fischer <news@nililand.de> writes:
>David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>  schrieb:
>
>> I thought that certain other Tex implentations (which I have forgotten
>> the name of) enable the user to do what I have described with a simple
>> switch somewhere.
>
>I don't think that such an implementation exists. There exist some
>editors that changes quotes while you type your text with the help of
>some heuristics that works in most (but not all) cases.

i would imagine he's thinking of emacs, which is emphatically not part
of a tex implementation, but has .el files that deal with quotes
modestly well.

>To decide if a
>' should be changed in a ` isn't easy. Look at the examples of Trevor:
>are you able to describe to a human all the rules and the exceptions he
>need to know to make the correct decisions?

'ee'll find 'er easy 'nuff if dee'll learn'a speak proper.
(you'll find it easy enough if you'll learn to speak properly)

personally, i wouldn't expect *anything* (other than the human brain)
to reliably represent transcribed dialect english.  the above comes
from the area where i went to school; my ex-wife used to say things
like

put wood in't'oil
(put [the] wood into the hole)

meaning "shut the door".
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
David Kastrup wrote:
> Philipp Lehman <devnull.1.lehman@spamgourmet.com> writes:
>
> > David R wrote:
> >
> >> So define a function as \<package>@' for an abbreviation at the
> >> beginning of a word.
> > [...]
> >> I think that this solution would be simple, but I might have
> >> overlooked something.
> >
> > Using a TeX-based solution, you can only look ahead at the following
> > token(s), but you normally can't look back.
>
> \ifhmode \ifnum\lastskip>\z@
>
> should detect preceding spaces somewhat reliably

One also needs to handle ' at the start of a paragraph.
Very hard to do with all the possible ways that exist
to initiate a paragraph.

Also non-skip spaces (\kern, empty boxes, etc.) need
detecting. And paranthetical quotes ('What!'). Nested
quotes have already been mentioned.

Dan

0
luecking (1319)
1/10/2007 4:52:22 PM
> The left quote should be typed as "'" and the right quote should be
> typed as "'".

This would not work, but it doesn't matter.  A person who is typesetting
an English writer's document won't encounter such combinations often,
and nobody who knows TeX would try to put this into TeX intentionally.
It would be picked up by the proof-reader, and the work involved in
correcting it would be minimal and simple because it will occur very
rarely : one manual alteration instead of 300 changes.

> In other languages (e.g. french) they are often spaces between the
> opening quote and the first word and between the end of a word and the
> closing quote.

Well I think I included this with \<any spaces> bit.

Or apostrophes at the begin of a word can look different
> than an opening quote.

Set it manually with \XXX@'.  Do apostrophes in the middle of the word
look the same as the beginning and both different than quote?

David R
 > An informal parse of the opening of that first Allingham
> example would be
>
> <quote>&apostrophe;E ...

How can I do an informal parse?
It there some command to give LaTeX
or some file to view.

David R
> put wood in't'oil
> (put [the] wood into the hole)
>
> meaning "shut the door".

I've been reliably informed that somebody grandpa used to say
``Put sneck in't 'ole''

The sneck is the latch which goes into the catch.
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:35:39 +0000, David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>  > An informal parse of the opening of that first Allingham
> > example would be
> >
> > <quote>&apostrophe;E ...
> >
> How can I do an informal parse?

Read it. That is by "informal parse" I meant *I* looked at it and used my
knowledge of English, English dialect, and English punctuation to decide
what was actually printed on the page.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!
Trevor Jenkins wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:35:39 +0000, David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>  > An informal parse of the opening of that first Allingham
>>> example would be
>>>
>>> <quote>&apostrophe;E ...
>>>
>> How can I do an informal parse?
>
> Read it. That is by "informal parse" I meant *I* looked at it and used my
> knowledge of English, English dialect, and English punctuation to decide
> what was actually printed on the page.
>
> Regards, Trevor

Then what is the significance of the & and the ;
what do these symbols infer?
The following is taken from the calc documentation.  Is it relevant to
this problem?

> We evaluate expressions by explicit scanning of characters. We do not rely on
> active characters for this.
> The scanner consists of two parts, \calc@pre@scan and \calc@post@scan;
> \calc@pre@scan consumes left parentheses, and \calc@post@scan consumes bi-
> nary operator, \real, \ratio, and right parenthesis tokens.
> \calc@pre@scan
> \@calc@pre@scan
> Note that this is called at least once on every use of calc processing, even when
> none of the extended syntax is present; it therefore needs to be made very efficient.

> The many \expandafters are needed to efficiently end the nested conditionals
> so that \calc@textsize and \calc@maxmin@addsub can process their argument.
> 35 \def\calc@pre@scan#1{%
> 36 \expandafter\@calc@pre@scan\romannumeral-�\a#1}
> 37 \def\@calc@pre@scan#1{%
> 38 \ifx(#1%
> 39 \expandafter\calc@open
> 40 \else
> 41 \ifx\widthof#1%
> 42 \expandafter\expandafter\expandafter\calc@textsize
> 43 \else
> 44 \ifx\maxof#1%
> 45 \expandafter\expandafter\expandafter\expandafter
> 46 \expandafter\expandafter\expandafter\calc@maxmin@addsub
> 47 \else
> 48 \calc@numeric% no \expandafter needed for this one.
> 49 \fi
> 50 \fi
> 51 \fi
> 52 #1}

> \calc@open is used when there is a left parenthesis right ahead. This parenthesis
> is replaced by TEX code corresponding to the code sequence

David R
 David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> writes:
>Trevor Jenkins wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:35:39 +0000, David R
>>   <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>>  > An informal parse of the opening of that first Allingham

>>> How can I do an informal parse?
>>
>> Read it. That is by "informal parse" I meant *I* looked at it and used my
>> knowledge of English, English dialect, and English punctuation to decide
>> what was actually printed on the page.
>
>Then what is the significance of the & and the ;
>what do these symbols infer?

the symbols aren't intelligent, they infer nothing.

&apostrophe; is obviously intended to look like an html character
entity.  so "&" and ";" imply that trevor couldn't think of any more
compact way of writing apostrophe in that context.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
rf10 (3613)
1/11/2007 12:51:02 PM
On 11 Jan 2007 12:51:02 GMT, Robin Fairbairns <rf10@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>  David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> writes:
> >Trevor Jenkins wrote:

> >> Read it. That is by "informal parse" I meant *I* looked at it and used my
> >> knowledge of English, English dialect, and English punctuation to decide
> >> what was actually printed on the page.
> >
> >Then what is the significance of the & and the ;
> >what do these symbols infer?
>
> the symbols aren't intelligent, they infer nothing.
>
> &apostrophe; is obviously intended to look like an html character
> entity.

Close but no ... okay you get the butt end of a cigar. ;-) Not so much
HTML as SGML with an alternate concrete syntax that permits the use of
longer entity names than the standard concrete syntax allows.

> ...  so "&" and ";" imply that trevor couldn't think of any more
> compact way of writing apostrophe in that context.

For that you can have the entire cigar. ;-)

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:20:33 +0000, David R
<angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally
>into `shocking', said Sally
>  automatically as Tex read the
>author.txt file?
>
>Does this method also change "whatever happens," he said
>into ``whatever happens.'' he said.

My editor does that for me as I type. For an existing file, you can
try some naive substitution, e.g.

  #!/usr/bin/perl -p0777

  s/(?(?<=\s)|^)'(\w*?)([[:punct:]]?)'(?(?=\s)|$)/`$1'$2/gs;
  s/(?(?<=\s)|^)"([\w\s\n]*?)([[:punct:]])"(?(?=\s)|$)/``$1$2''/gs;

  __END__

But it will grossly fail if you have unbalanced single and double
quotes, which may well be the case if there are any apostrophes,
although some care is taken to avoid some such cases. And, hey, I'm
not Friedl after all!

Michele
--
>It's because the universe was programmed in C++.
No, no, it was programmed in Forth.  See Genesis 1:12:
"And the earth brought Forth ..."
- Robert Israel in sci.math, thread "Why numbers?"
0
bik.mido (626)

how to make ["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] into ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e'] ?
--001a11c34e8edbc7c404f6a94bbe Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 >>> x=["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] >>> y=x[2] >>> y ['c', 'd'] >>> x.insert(2,y[0]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> x.insert(3,y[1]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> del x[4] >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', &#...

"Select" & "Order By" OK- ''WHERE'' Does'nt Work !
Before i post actual code, as i need a speedyish reply. Can i first ask if anyone knows off the top of their head, if there is a likely obvious cause to the following problem. For the moment i've reduced my form request to a simple text string entry, instead of my desired optional parameters. As i have been stuck with a single unfathomable glitch for over a year. Basically, if i enter queries such as ; "select * from table" "select * from table order by artist", it works perfectly. However if i introduce the 'where' option, as in "select * from table where ...

Can't "click through" Static Text even with 'HitTest' set to 'off'?
I've got a GUI with some static text labels that I created in an .m file using the uicontrol() function. I made sure upon creation to set 'HitTest' to 'off'. I can check the controls after the fact, and indeed they all have 'HitTest' set to 'off'. However, I have a ButtonDownFcn call for the entire figure (I'm trying to tell when the user clicks on a specific piece of static text, but the text controls are generated dynamicall). If the user clicks on the figure background, the function executes properly. However, when the static text controls ...

Re: Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''')
Russell Nelson wrote: > If you need to put a single quote in, then you put > an arbitrary string in-between the single quotes which does NOT > appear in the string. For example, "Bill's house" becomes > 'x'Bill's house'x'. So possible examples might be: 'xx'somebody's mother'xx' 'xy'somebody's father'xy' 'wink'somebody's uncle'wink' 'quote'somebody's body'quote' not terrible easy on the eyes, and why use the single quote at all? Why no= t use a similar pattern li...

Unable to identify an operator '*=' for types 'character varying[]' and '"unknown"'
Okay.I'm following the documentation that came with the PostgreSQL source code (located in /usr/doc/postgresql-7.3.4-2/html/arrays.hmtl in my cygwin root). I created have a table with a varchar array in it, kind of like the following: CREATE TABLE tbl_db_usuario_detalles (NOMBRE varchar(50), COD_USE varchar(6)[]); I've added a single record that has two values. It is imported from a tab-separated text file that has one line, like the following: Username {xxxxxx,yyyyyy} The import seems to work fine (if I put quotes around the string values in the array it fails). ...

[9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc)
------=_Part_63992_24920993.1223483737771 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Hello, is that an intention that acme does not recognize " (or "", not so sure about '''chk' ) to be a name of a valid file? At least " and "" seems to me to be a valid file name, but clicking on it with button 3 in acme doesn't work --- file is not opened. Only explicit use of Get opens it. Thanks Ruda ------=_Part_63992_24920993.1223483737771 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content...

JAXM returning '&lt;' and '&gt;' rather than "<" and ">"
Hi guys I'm up against a very annoying problem. I'm tryint to use JAXM to call a simple PHP nuSoap web service. I am using SOAPMessage/SOAPPart/SOAPEnvelope etc, however when i receive the message from the server i get: &lt;symbol&gt;great&lt;/symbol&gt; rather than: <symbol>great</symbol> Does anyone have any idea why its converting '<' to '&lt;'??? Any help would be most appreciated, i've been frustrated by this for hours! (Note the xml just dumps out "<symbol>great</symbol>" - it does not encode it ...

Re: Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''') #2
Russell Nelson notes: > = > Choose poor examples, and then criticize them as poor choices? > = true enough, but the suggested scheme introduces another variable into the = language syntax; I might always make good choices <wink> on what delimiter = I choose, but I might also end up working on code written by someone else w= ho makes less good choices. Or vice versa. = > Exactly. It really would be better to have one(1) string literal > which can quote anything without reverting to backslashing. Why one? > Simpler parsing, simpler learning of the language, fewe...

Re: Unable to identify an operator '*=' for types 'character varying[]' and '"unknown"'
Okay...I answered my own question. I didn't understand from the directions that I had to compile and install the dll in contrib/array and run the array_iterator.sql. It works like a charm now. Mike -----Original Message----- From: Mike Leahy [mailto:mgleahy@fes.uwaterloo.ca] Sent: October 10, 2003 3:41 PM To: 'pgsql-general@postgresql.org' Subject: Unable to identify an operator '*=' for types 'character varying[]' and '"unknown"' Okay.I'm following the documentation that came with the PostgreSQL source code (located in /u...

"cannot convert parameter from 'short **' to 'void **'"
int func(void**); { short* p = NULL; func(&p); //<<< here } Could somebody remind me why is this not allowed ? error message: "cannot convert parameter from 'short **' to 'void **'" Thanks, Igor On 2005-11-22, Igor Okulist <igor@remove_this_okulist.com> wrote: > int func(void**); > > { > short* p = NULL; > func(&p); //<<< here > } > > Could somebody remind me why is this not allowed ? error > message: "cannot convert parameter from 'short **' to 'void > **'" ...

Steve Jobs

Quotes from the 'tolerant', 'liberal', 'progressive' Left
"I hope his wife feeds him lots of eggs and butter and he dies early like many black men do, of heart disease. ... He is an absolutely reprehensible person." --USA Today Columnist Julianne Malveaux on Justice Clarence Thomas "If there is...justice, he'll get AIDS, or one of his grandchildren will get it." --National Public Radio's (NPR) Nina Totenberg on Sen. Jesse Helms "[I]t may take the destruction of Western Civilization to allow the rest of the world to really emerge as a free and brotherly society." --Newly elected president of that hot-bed of co...

(mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4"))
(mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4")) returns ((quote "4") (quote "4") (quote "4") (quote "4")) Interesting and (for me) unexpected. Because (mapcar 'read '("1" "2" "3" "4")) returns (1 2 3 4) and (mapcar 'princ '("1" "2" "3" "4")) gives 1234("1" "2" "3" "4") Why isn't (mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4")) returning ((quote "1") (quote "2") (quote "3") (quote "4")) Tom Haws www.hawsedc.com Probably has to do with the fact that 'arg and (quote arg) are equivalent, and LISP gets confused by the construct 'quote, which is about the same as (quote (quote arg)). But I don't pretend to know all of the mechanics of the error; the results are somewhat different in R14, BTW: Command: (mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3" "4")) ((<Subr: #22e3e40> "4") (<Subr: #22e3e40> "4") (<Subr: #22e3e40> "4") (<Subr: #22e3e40> "4")) ___ "Tom Haws" <hawstom@despammed.com> wrote in message news:77317472.0309160733.45ea9d8c@posting.google.com... > (mapcar 'quote '("1" "2" "3"...

'^=' and '~='?

"Method 'Controls' of ojbect 'CommandBarPopup' failed" ?
I get this error every so often. Some bogus error number (such as -2147467259), too. Google searches imply that it can be caused by manually adding/deleting menu items on the fly, but it happens to me when a modal form is active and a timer function fires. Some of the code it runs (not sure what exactly) breaks it. Part of the menus are then hosed (i.e., you click and it doesn't "drop down", even if there are items in there). The only "solution" I've found is to resort to a backup and re-code everything since that point. Can anyone help me find a better soluti...

v = json.loads("{'test':'test'}")
raise ValueError(errmsg("Expecting property name", s, end)) http://docs.python.org/library/json.html What am I doing wrong ? gert wrote: > raise ValueError(errmsg("Expecting property name", s, end)) > http://docs.python.org/library/json.html > What am I doing wrong ? You need proper quotation marks: >>> s = json.dumps({'test':'test'}) >>> s '{"test": "test"}' >>> json.loads(s) {u'test': u'test'} The JSON format is described here: http://www.json.org/ Peter On Jan 26, 5:12=A0am, gert <gert.cuyk...@gmail.com> wrote: > raise ValueError(errmsg("Expecting property name", s, end))http://docs.py= thon.org/library/json.html > What am I doing wrong ? You use wrong quotes, it should be wrapped by double quotes not single quotes. Read http://json.org/: "A string is a collection of zero or more Unicode characters, wrapped in double quotes, ..." >>> v =3D json.loads('{"test":"test"}') >>> v {u'test': u'test'} Please include all relevant information in the *body* of your message, not just in the subject. It's a pain having to piece a question back together between the subject. On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 13:12 -0800, gert wrote: > raise ValueError(errmsg("Expecting property name", s, end)) > http://docs.python.org/library/json.html > What am I doing wr...

ABF "error: expected identifier or '(' before '=' token"
When trying to compile an ABF application on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4,Intel(R) Xeon(R) and II 9.1.2 (int.lnx/ 100)NPTL, I get the following errors : "Processing form 'ylxo60701p' . . . Forcing compilation to create object file. Compiling '218688.c' . . . 218688.c:1420: error: expected identifier or '(' before '=' token E_AB001E Compilation failed" I've found out that the form in question (218688.c) is missing the global FRAME identifier here : FRAME * = { &_form0 }; which should be replaced wi...

mini-tutorial needed: 'target=""' attribute for 'A'
What I knew, from back in the days of tab-less browsers: an anchor "tag" of form <A href="WhatHaveYou" target="_blank"> used to open a fresh browser window to display whatever the URI "WhatHaveYou" had on offer. In these days of tabbed browsers, though, there must be two attribute value candidates, one for spawning a new *window*, one for opening a new *tab*, and I'll be sempiternally grateful to whoever teaches me what they are. Cheers, and TIA, -- tlvp -- Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP. In article <1gvfvb0tom0wx....

Unable to get "datetick('x','HHPM')" to work..
Dear all, I been trying to learn this example "Plot traffic count data against date ticks for hours of the day showing AM and PM." which is found here.. http://www.mathworks.co.jp/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/datetick.html but it seems I have problem with this command, datetick('x','HHPM') and it gave me this message... ??? Error using ==> datetick Unknown date format: HHPM However I tried using the second last command, plot(xdate,count) and it is plot the graph with out the x-axis label in date/time... Any help this this will be great.. Thanks...

Meaning of <xsl:when test="''='FALSE'">
Hi, I looked through a computergenerated code because I had to edit something manually. I found this line: <xsl:when test="''='FALSE'"> I don't get what this means. Please help me. "renderman" <christian.ammann@wsi.tum.de> writes: > Hi, > > I looked through a computergenerated code because I had to edit > something manually. > > I found this line: > <xsl:when test="''='FALSE'"> > > I don't get what this means. > > Please help me. It tests if the empty string '...

'Here's the thing about Apple's "recent"�success.'
'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the world, second most profitable company in the world, most profitable retail stores in the world, best-selling smart phone, second best-selling smart phone, best-selling tablet computer, etc. Other numbers have not changed: customer satisfaction, customer loyalty, consumer ratings, etc.' <http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/heres-the-thing-about-apples-r ecent-success/> -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun) "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:alangbaker-70BC8E.10314523092011@news.shawcable.net... 'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the wor...

"declaration of 'foo' changes meaning from 'struct foo'"
Hello, I am a resonably confident C programmer, but not very sure about the dark corners of C++. Recently, I had G++ give me a strange error. The program in question is in essence: struct foo { }; struct bar { foo foo; }; That is, I try to declare a member variable called "foo". However, G++ complains that: Foo.C:5: error: declaration of `foo bar::foo' Foo.C:1: error: changes meaning of `foo' from `struct foo' Changing the line to struct foo foo; makes the compiler happy. However, Microsoft Visual C++ does not give any error at...

ERROR: "Method 'Connection' of object '_Current Project' failed."
I have created a front-end application and back-end database. Everytime that I opened the program in the past, it open just fine with no errors when linking to the back-end tables. lately, I get the following error message whenever I open my application: ERROR: "Method 'Connection' of object '_Current Project' failed. Check to see if you installed the tables used for storing data is in the default directory. -2147024769 After clicking, "OK", my application continues on to open anyway. I have checked the application to determine if the intended location for...

How to solve "Tables or functions 'inserted' and 'inserted' have the same exposed names. "
Hi all! In a insert-trigger I have two joins on the table named inserted. Obviously this construction gives a name collition beetween the two joins (since both joins starts from the same table) Ofcourse I thougt the using bla JOIN bla ON bla bla bla AS a_different_name would work, but it does not. Is there a nice solution to this problem? Any help appriciated You are correct that you need to use an alias. The syntax requires the "AS alias" immediately after the table name: SELECT * FROM x AS A JOIN x AS B ON A.z = B.z JOIN x AS C ON A.z = B.z If you need more help, please po...

Web resources about - 'quote' to `quote' - comp.text.tex