[threeparttable] alignment of the tablenotes and space of \tnote

Hello all, dear Robin,

is there a special reason why the \tnote command does not reserve any space
in a column and why by default the items of the tablenotes environment are
indented and are not aligned with the normal text of the first column of the
table?

The minimal example below shows both issues.

And my last question: Is Donald Arseneau still active?

Best regards
Stefan Pinnow

% ----- minimal example -----
\documentclass{article}
    \usepackage{threeparttablex}
\begin{document}
    \begin{threeparttable}
        \begin{tabular}{|@{}l@{}|}
            test\tnote{LongLongLabel} \\
        \end{tabular}
        \begin{tablenotes}
            \item[a] some text
        \end{tablenotes}
    \end{threeparttable}
\end{document}

0
Stefan

Stefan Pinnow wrote:
> Hello all, dear Robin,
>
> is there a special reason why the \tnote command does not reserve any space
> in a column and why by default the items of the tablenotes environment are
> indented and are not aligned with the normal text of the first column of the
> table?
>
> The minimal example below shows both issues.
>
> And my last question: Is Donald Arseneau still active?
>

> Best regards
> Stefan Pinnow
>

> % ----- minimal example -----
> \documentclass{article}
>     \usepackage{threeparttablex}
> \begin{document}
>     \begin{threeparttable}
>         \begin{tabular}{|@{}l@{}|}
>             test\tnote{LongLongLabel} \\
>         \end{tabular}
>         \begin{tablenotes}
>             \item[a] some text
>         \end{tablenotes}
>     \end{threeparttable}
> \end{document}

the tablenotes list knows nothing of what is going on inside the actual
table, thus @{...} does not effect it.

\tnote does not take up any space, because it shouldn't, it would ruin
table alignment.

And one should not use such long table notes in \tnote

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/    (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html
0
Lars
6/7/2010 7:47:35 AM
"Lars Madsen" <daleif@RTFMSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Stefan Pinnow wrote:
>> Hello all, dear Robin,
>>
>> is there a special reason why the \tnote command does not reserve any space
>> in a column and why by default the items of the tablenotes environment are
>> indented and are not aligned with the normal text of the first column of the
>> table?
>>
>> The minimal example below shows both issues.
>>
>> And my last question: Is Donald Arseneau still active?
>>

>> Best regards
>> Stefan Pinnow
>>

>> % ----- minimal example -----
>> \documentclass{article}
>>     \usepackage{threeparttablex}
>> \begin{document}
>>     \begin{threeparttable}
>>         \begin{tabular}{|@{}l@{}|}
>>             test\tnote{LongLongLabel} \\
>>         \end{tabular}
>>         \begin{tablenotes}
>>             \item[a] some text
>>         \end{tablenotes}
>>     \end{threeparttable}
>> \end{document}
>>

> the tablenotes list knows nothing of what is going on inside the actual table,
> thus @{...} does not effect it.
>
> \tnote does not take up any space, because it shouldn't, it would ruin table
> alignment.
>
> And one should not use such long table notes in \tnote
> [...]

Hello Lars,

to your first point:
the @{} + | (vertical lines) I just added to show that no space is reserved for
the \tnote command.

to your last point:
that is clear. It was just for demonstration.

to the second point:
I don't see where the \tnote command should influence the alignment in the
table. Even worse it gets, when the \tnote command is not given at the end of a
cell but in between. Because then no space is given and this ruins the written.

Attached you find some code with threeparttable(x) and some code without, what
shows the output I'd like to have when I use of the package.

Here again the things I don't like, when using the package so far :
- when using \tnote not at the end of a cell the spacing is wrong
- when \tnote is at the end of a cell the space to the next cell is wrong
  (because no space is reserved for it)
- when \tnote is at the end of a cell which is in the last column of the table
then the line is to short
  (because no space is reserved for it)
- the \items (a and b) are not totally left aligned to the "test" in the cell
above.
  (when using the [para] option the spacing is right)
  (using the [flushleft] option shifts the tablenotes to far to the left)

Up to now I couldn't image why the mentioned should be so.
Of course, if implementing would be much harder this is always a good answer.
(Unfortunately I have no idea of how to program in LaTeX so I can only help with
proofreading the manual and testing the package).

Thank you for your help and
best regards,
Stefan

% ----- minimal example -----
\documentclass{article}
    \usepackage{booktabs}
    \usepackage{threeparttablex}
\begin{document}
    \begin{threeparttable}
        \begin{tabular}{ll}
            test\tnote{a} (bla) & test\tnote{b} \\
                \bottomrule
        \end{tabular}
        \begin{tablenotes}
            \item[a] some text
            \item[b] more text
        \end{tablenotes}
    \end{threeparttable}
        \hspace{2cm}
    \begin{tabular}{ll}
        test\textsuperscript{a} (bla) & test\textsuperscript{b} \\
            \bottomrule
            \addlinespace[3pt]
        \multicolumn{2}{l}{\textsuperscript{a} some text} \\
        \multicolumn{2}{l}{\textsuperscript{b} more text} \\
    \end{tabular}
\end{document}

0
Stefan
6/7/2010 3:21:54 PM
On Jun 7, 8:21=A0am, "Stefan Pinnow" <stefan.pin...@tu-clausthal.de>
wrote:

> I don't see where the \tnote command should influence the alignment in th=
> table.

That is why it has zero width.

> Even worse it gets, when the \tnote command is not given at the end of a
> cell but in between. Because then no space is given and this ruins the wr=
itten.

The default behavior of \tnote is what is wanted 99% of the time, and
it is
very easy to type "\tnote{a}\ " in the remaining 1%; much easier than
typing
 "\rlap{\tnote{a}}" for the reverse.  Note that \tnote in the caption
(title) has
width.

Use the configuration hook \TPTrlap (rtfm) to have it as you like.

> - the \items (a and b) are not totally left aligned to the "test" in the =
cell
> above.
> =A0 (when using the [para] option the spacing is right)
> =A0 (using the [flushleft] option shifts the tablenotes to far to the lef=
t)

The tablenotes are a list and are not aligned with anything in the
tabular.
The alignment using [para] was coincidence -- the space is 1em.
The test with [flushleft] would (of course) be aligned with the column
entries in the table that had @{} (no tabcolsep) (space is zero).  The
[normal] space is 1.5em.

0
Donald
6/7/2010 5:37:05 PM
>> [...]
>> Even worse it gets, when the \tnote command is not given at the end of a
>> cell but in between. Because then no space is given and this ruins the
>> written.
>
> The default behavior of \tnote is what is wanted 99% of the time, and
> it is very easy to type "\tnote{a}\ " in the remaining 1%; much easier than
> typing  "\rlap{\tnote{a}}" for the reverse.  Note that \tnote in the caption
> (title) has width.
>
> Use the configuration hook \TPTrlap (rtfm) to have it as you like.

Sorry, but from the manual I couldn't find out what it does. But with your hint
and some trying I found out what to do.

>> - the \items (a and b) are not totally left aligned to the "test" in the cell
>> above.
>> (when using the [para] option the spacing is right)
>> (using the [flushleft] option shifts the tablenotes to far to the left)
>
> The tablenotes are a list and are not aligned with anything in the
> tabular.
> The alignment using [para] was coincidence -- the space is 1em.
> The test with [flushleft] would (of course) be aligned with the column
> entries in the table that had @{} (no tabcolsep) (space is zero).  The
> [normal] space is 1.5em.

Ok, things are clearer now. After brachiating a bit through the STY file I could
produce the output I wished.
Find attached a minimal with my requirements (if somebody else is interested).

Thank you very much again for your helps and

best regards
Stefan

% ----- minimal example -----
\documentclass{article}
    \usepackage{booktabs}
    \usepackage{threeparttablex}
        \renewcommand\TPTrlap{}
        \renewcommand\TPTnoteSettings{%
            \setlength\leftmargin{1.3em}%       default: 1.5em
            \setlength\labelwidth{.5em}%
            \setlength\labelsep{.2em}%
            \rightskip\tabcolsep \leftskip\tabcolsep
        }
\begin{document}
    \begin{threeparttable}
        \begin{tabular}{ll}