"Underfull \hbox (badness 10000)" ?

Hello!

I just started using LaTeX, and writing my first document I
encountered a problem.

I created a main file, and am using \include to import other files.
One of them is giving me trouble. When trying to run LaTeX on it, I
get:

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 25--31

 []

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 32--36

 []

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 37--40

 []

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 41--44

 []

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 48--51

 []

[4

]
Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 52--56

 []

At some point in this document he stops putting asterisks where they
should be. The rest seems to be fine. Here is the (more or less)
according part of the file:

		\subsubsection*{c) Morphologie}
		\begin{quote}
		Ich schreib-\textit{e} ein Buch. \\
		Du schreib-\textit{st} ein Buch. \\
		Er schreib-\textit{t} ein Buch. \\
		Wir schreib-\textit{en} ein Buch. \\
		Ihr \textit{werd}-\textit{et} ein Buch schreib-\textit{en}. \\
		Sie \textit{hatt}-\textit{en} ein Buch
\textit{ge}-schrieb-\textit{en}. \\

		*Das Buch von B. Brecht. \\
		Die Auflage des Buch-\textit{es} von B. Brecht. \\
		Die B"uch-\textit{er} von B. Brecht. \\
		Den B"uch-\textit{ern} von B. Brecht. \\

		*Die Buch von B. Brecht. \\
		\Pisymbol{psy}{174} Das Buch von B. Brecht. \\
		\Pisymbol{psy}{174} Die B"ucher von B. Brecht. \\

		Ich schreib-t-en ein Buch. \\
		\Pisymbol{psy}{174} Ich schreib-e ein Buch. \\
		\Pisymbol{psy}{174} Ich schrieb ein Buch. \\
		\end{quote}

		\subsubsection*{d) Syntax}
		\begin{quote}
		Er schrieb ein erfolgreiches Buch. \\
		Schrieb er ein erfolgreiches Buch? \\
		*Er schrieb ein Buch erfolgreiches. \\

		Er schrieb ein von der Kritik gefeiertes Buch. \\
		Er schrieb ein Buch, das von der Kritik gefeiert wurde. \\
		*Er schrieb ein gefeiertes von der Kritik Buch. \\
		*Buch er von gefeiertes Kritik schrieb der ein. \\
		\end{quote}

Can somebody help? Thanks!

njStryfe
0
mivezic (9)

On 20 May 2004 10:32:54 -0700, mivezic@gmx.de (njStryfe) wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I just started using LaTeX, and writing my first document I
>encountered a problem.
>
>I created a main file, and am using \include to import other files.
>One of them is giving me trouble. When trying to run LaTeX on it, I
>get:
>

>Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 25--31
>
> []
>		\subsubsection*{c) Morphologie}
>		\begin{quote}
>		Ich schreib-\textit{e} ein Buch. \\
>		Du schreib-\textit{st} ein Buch. \\
>		Er schreib-\textit{t} ein Buch. \\
>		Wir schreib-\textit{en} ein Buch. \\
>		Ihr \textit{werd}-\textit{et} ein Buch schreib-\textit{en}. \\
>		Sie \textit{hatt}-\textit{en} ein Buch
>\textit{ge}-schrieb-\textit{en}. \\

A \\ followed by a blank line always produces this message. If you want
a blank line between these parts, either put something invisible in the
blank line (such as
   text text text\\
   \mbox{}\\
   text text...)
or use \vspace{\baselineskip} to create the appearence of a blank line.

Dan

--
Dan Luecking                     Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas           Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
> 		Die Auflage des Buch-\textit{es} von B. Brecht. \\
> 		Die B"uch-\textit{er} von B. Brecht. \\
> 		Den B"uch-\textit{ern} von B. Brecht. \\
>
> 		*Die Buch von B. Brecht. \\

The `` Underfull \hbox '' is caused by ending a line with `` \\ '' and
then starting a new paragraph with a blank line.

Mark Riggs
0
msr1 (9)
5/20/2004 9:38:15 PM
 msr1@msstate.edu (Mark Riggs) writes:
>> 		Die Auflage des Buch-\textit{es} von B. Brecht. \\
>> 		Die B"uch-\textit{er} von B. Brecht. \\
>> 		Den B"uch-\textit{ern} von B. Brecht. \\
>>
>> 		*Die Buch von B. Brecht. \\
>
>The `` Underfull \hbox '' is caused by ending a line with `` \\ '' and
>then starting a new paragraph with a blank line.

of course, since the op's stuff was inside a quote environment, the
paragraph break on its own will make a useful gap between the blocks;
the \\ at the end of the last line of a block is entirely unnecessary.
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0

Regards,

Marco
0
mivezic (9)
5/21/2004 6:40:22 AM
rf@cl.cam.ac.uk (Robin Fairbairns) wrote in message news:<c8ja8e$jfm$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>...
> msr1@msstate.edu (Mark Riggs) writes:
> >> 		Die Auflage des Buch-\textit{es} von B. Brecht. \\
> >> 		Die B"uch-\textit{er} von B. Brecht. \\
> >> 		Den B"uch-\textit{ern} von B. Brecht. \\
> >>
> >> 		*Die Buch von B. Brecht. \\
> >
> >The `` Underfull \hbox '' is caused by ending a line with `` \\ '' and
> >then starting a new paragraph with a blank line.
>
> of course, since the op's stuff was inside a quote environment, the
> paragraph break on its own will make a useful gap between the blocks;
> the \\ at the end of the last line of a block is entirely unnecessary.

Ok, that worked. Thanks again.
But, if you would be so nice to also take a look at the second excerpt
in my original posting: There are 5 lines in there that start with an
asterisk. But only the first two asterisks make it into the .dvi-file.
I don't know why that is, but I get the feeling that the book I bought
about LaTeX2e is keeping quite some information from me...

Marco
0
mivezic (9)
5/21/2004 6:52:38 AM
mivezic@gmx.de (njStryfe)  schrieb:

> But, if you would be so nice to also take a look at the second excerpt
> in my original posting: There are 5 lines in there that start with an
> asterisk. But only the first two asterisks make it into the .dvi-file.
> I don't know why that is, but I get the feeling that the book I bought
> about LaTeX2e is keeping quite some information from me...

\\* is the command for "don't break the page after this line". So your
asterisk is taken away by the \\.  If you want a real asterisk after \\
write \\{} * or \\\relax *.

Btw: The same (or some error) can happen if you use [.

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
njStryfe wrote:
> At some point in this document he stops putting asterisks where they
> should be.
>
> *Das Buch von B. Brecht. \\
 > [...]
> Schrieb er ein erfolgreiches Buch? \\
> *Er schrieb ein Buch erfolgreiches. \\

    There is a stared version of "\\": "\\*".  TeX reads on after \\,
finds the * and treats it as "\\*".  So put something between, like

Buch? \\ \relax
*Er

Harry
0
sch.ha (142)
5/21/2004 8:09:01 AM
njStryfe wrote:

> rf@cl.cam.ac.uk (Robin Fairbairns) wrote in message

>> >The `` Underfull \hbox '' is caused by ending a line with `` \\ '' and
>> >then starting a new paragraph with a blank line.
>>
>> of course, since the op's stuff was inside a quote environment, the
>> paragraph break on its own will make a useful gap between the blocks;
>> the \\ at the end of the last line of a block is entirely unnecessary.
>
> Ok, that worked. Thanks again.
> But, if you would be so nice to also take a look at the second excerpt
> in my original posting: There are 5 lines in there that start with an
> asterisk. But only the first two asterisks make it into the .dvi-file.
> I don't know why that is, but I get the feeling that the book I bought
> about LaTeX2e is keeping quite some information from me...
>
> Marco

The asterisk at the beginning of the verses is eaten up by \\
(\\ accepts an asterisk as optional argument, meaning: "Don't
start a new page here"). So substitute "*" by "{}*", to hide the
asterisk from \\.

--
m. j. soto.
"se.su@otos".reverse()

0
soto4883 (1)
5/21/2004 8:49:51 AM
Harry Schmidt <sch.ha@web.de> wrote in message news:<2h5rotF9e6jeU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> njStryfe wrote:
> > At some point in this document he stops putting asterisks where they
> > should be.
> >
> > *Das Buch von B. Brecht. \\
>  > [...]
> > Schrieb er ein erfolgreiches Buch? \\
> > *Er schrieb ein Buch erfolgreiches. \\
>
>     There is a stared version of "\\": "\\*".  TeX reads on after \\,
> finds the * and treats it as "\\*".  So put something between, like
>
> Buch? \\ \relax
> *Er
>

> Harry

Thanks everybody, it works now! Next time I screw up, I know where to turn. :)

Marco
0
mivezic (9)
5/21/2004 3:13:13 PM
mivezic@gmx.de (njStryfe) writes:

> Harry Schmidt <sch.ha@web.de> wrote in message news:<2h5rotF9e6jeU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > njStryfe wrote:
> > > At some point in this document he stops putting asterisks where they
> > > should be.
> > >
> > > *Das Buch von B. Brecht. \\
> >  > [...]
> > > Schrieb er ein erfolgreiches Buch? \\
> > > *Er schrieb ein Buch erfolgreiches. \\
> >
> >     There is a stared version of "\\": "\\*".  TeX reads on after \\,
> > finds the * and treats it as "\\*".  So put something between, like
> >
> > Buch? \\ \relax
> > *Er
>
> Thanks everybody, it works now! Next time I screw up, I know where
> to turn. :)

NB: I'd be willing to call the choice of LaTeX designers that such
optional arguments may be preceded by blanks (which also includes line
endings) a number of uncouth expressions.

Much pain for little gain.

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
dak (3569)
5/21/2004 4:03:19 PM
 David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>mivezic@gmx.de (njStryfe) writes:
>> Thanks everybody, it works now! Next time I screw up, I know where
>> to turn. :)

but you're not going to srew up again, are you?  ;-)

>NB: I'd be willing to call the choice of LaTeX designers that such
>optional arguments may be preceded by blanks (which also includes line
>endings) a number of uncouth expressions.
>
>Much pain for little gain.

pure lamport-ism, i fear.  one of those things no-one in the project
could bring themselves to change.  (except mike downes, and his
revised \@ifnextchar in parts of amsmath has provoked bugs elsewhere
recently.)
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
rf53 (2582)
5/21/2004 7:31:46 PM
rf@cl.cam.ac.uk (Robin Fairbairns) wrote in message news:<c8llf2$lj8$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>...
> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
> >mivezic@gmx.de (njStryfe) writes:
> >> Thanks everybody, it works now! Next time I screw up, I know where
> >> to turn. :)
>
> but you're not going to srew up again, are you?  ;-)

Believe me, I will... ;)

Marco
0
mivezic (9)

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

What does r"""any text""" mean ?
.... as you can find in os.py at line 1 ? Regards Alexander Alexander Eisenhuth wrote: > ... as you can find in os.py at line 1 ? Please don't split your request between subject and body. String literals enclosed in triple quotes are multiline strings. String literals prefixed by "r" are raw strings. http://docs.python.org/ref/strings.html Regards, Bj�rn -- BOFH excuse #71: The file system is full of it Hi Alexander, Alexander Eisenhuth wrote: > ... as you can find in os.py at line 1 ? This is a raw string. Raw strings don't interpret the escape sequences...

"or" and "and"

"out" and "in out"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

about "++" and "--"

why "::", not "."

"my" and "our"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

TeX: "a" with "o" obove it
In TeX, how to get an "a" with a small "o" obove it? -- Edward A. Johnson Calle San Agustin, 19 04638 Moj�car (Almer�a) SPAIN Voice: (34) 950 47 51 16 Fax: (34) 950 47 87 43 Mobile: (34) 662 227 670 Prueba con: $\stackrel{o}{a}$ Saludos Prueba con: $\stackrel{o}{a}$ Saludos "Ted Johnson" <eaj@mercuryin.es> writes: >In TeX, how to get an "a" with a small "o" obove it? the same way as you were told by morten, last time you posted. \aa -- Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge Il Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:57:18...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience w...

Gary Sokolich """"""

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

"for" inside "for"
dear community, there is no need to mention that i'm far from beeing a sh-professional. in a male file i am trying to do two things to all files in defined directories. < === snip =============================================== > @for FILE in $(TEMPLATES); do \ @for DIR_NAME in $(DIRS); do \ FILE_BASENAME=`basename $$FILE`; \ DIR_NAME=`dirname $$FILE`; \ mkdir -p $(DIRNAME); \ cat $$FILE \ | perl -pe "s%\@INSTALL_URL\@%$(INSTALL_URL)%g" \ > $(INSTALL_PATH)/$$FILE_BASENAME; \ done; done; < === snip ========================...

How to change "/" to "\"
Now, the output as below /a/b/c.txt b/c.txt x:/b/c.txt , Need to change x:\b\c.txt #!/bin/ksh # echo.ksh a=/a/b/c.txt echo $a echo ${a#/*/} y=`echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\'` echo $y moon wrote: > Now, the output as below > > /a/b/c.txt > b/c.txt > x:/b/c.txt , Need to change x:\b\c.txt > > > #!/bin/ksh > # echo.ksh > a=/a/b/c.txt > echo $a > echo ${a#/*/} > y=`echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\'` > echo $y > > One escape necessary: echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\\' Two escapes necessar...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

Web resources about - "Underfull \hbox (badness 10000)" ? - comp.text.tex