\usepackage{Times}

I need to use this package.  The version I have consists of just:

   \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
   \renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}
   \renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}

I don't remember where I got it from (it isn't in my standard
distribution, which is quite old).

Using the package makes the text somewhat compacter, but not by much.

For now, it's good enough, but sometime I want to understand everything;
that could be now if it is quick or later if things are more
complicated.

I get the following warnings:

   LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/ptm/m/n' undefined
   (Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 88.

   LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/ptm/bx/n' undefined
   (Font)              using `OT1/ptm/m/n' instead on input line 97.

   LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/ptm/m/it' undefined
   (Font)              using `OT1/ptm/m/n' instead on input line 97.

but no other warnings.  Is there a QUICK fix to get rid of these
warnings?

As I said, I can live with them for now, but would like to get rid of
them as soon as is practical.

0
helbig (5064)

helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---undress to reply)
writes:

> Is there a QUICK fix to get rid of these warnings?

Switch from OT1 to T1 font encoding by

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

before loading the 'times' package.

BTW: 'times' is obsolete. It has been superseded by 'mathptmx'.

--
Uwe
0
In article <848vmtpnpo.fsf@siart.de>, Uwe Siart <usenet@siart.de> writes:

> Switch from OT1 to T1 font encoding by
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> before loading the 'times' package.

I get the same warnings.

> BTW: 'times' is obsolete. It has been superseded by 'mathptmx'.

Apparently some journals still use it.

Looks like there is no quick solution; perhaps I should put it on the
back burner.

0
helbig (5064)
12/3/2011 5:58:34 PM
Am Sat, 3 Dec 2011 17:16:21 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Phillip
Helbig---undress to reply:

> I need to use this package.  The version I have consists of just:
>
>    \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
>    \renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}
>    \renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}

> I get the following warnings:
>
>    LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/ptm/m/n' undefined
>    (Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 88.

You don't have the file OT1ptm.fd (or it is corrupted). The file is
part of the psnfss package.

> As I said, I can live with them for now,

Well I couldn't. If I would load in a document the times package to
use the times fonts I would not like it if they were replaced by the
cm-fonts. ;-)

--
Ulrike Fischer
0
<news3@nililand.de> writes:

> You don't have the file OT1ptm.fd (or it is corrupted). The file is
> part of the psnfss package.

OK.  Big change needed.  No time now.

> > As I said, I can live with them for now,
>
> Well I couldn't. If I would load in a document the times package to
> use the times fonts I would not like it if they were replaced by the
> cm-fonts. ;-)

I'm not the actual end-user.  As long as it gets processed OK at the
other end, that's good enough for now.

Why is the text nevertheless somewhat more compact?

0
helbig (5064)
12/3/2011 6:33:08 PM
<news3@nililand.de> writes:

> > I need to use this package.  The version I have consists of just:
> >
> >    \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
> >    \renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}
> >    \renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}
>
> > I get the following warnings:
> >
> >    LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/ptm/m/n' undefined
> >    (Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 88.
>
> You don't have the file OT1ptm.fd (or it is corrupted). The file is
> part of the psnfss package.
>
> > As I said, I can live with them for now,
>
> Well I couldn't. If I would load in a document the times package to
> use the times fonts I would not like it if they were replaced by the
> cm-fonts. ;-)

Maybe I can't.  :-(

I have a LaTeX setup which is about 12 years old.  I recently added some
more modern .cls files and everything works fine, except for the problem
above.

Upgrading is on the list of things to do, but I need a quick solution
now.

How much trouble would it be to get the times package (I know it's
obsolete, but I need to use it now) working properly, avoiding the
warnings above, which presumably means getting psnfss working properly
as well?

0
helbig (5064)
12/3/2011 8:15:25 PM
In article <jbe00t$fq3$1@online.de>, helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de
(Phillip Helbig---undress to reply) writes:

> In article <1sebve9nxu5hq.dlg@nililand.de>, Ulrike Fischer
> <news3@nililand.de> writes:

> > You don't have the file OT1ptm.fd (or it is corrupted). The file is
> > part of the psnfss package.
>
> How much trouble would it be to get the times package (I know it's
> obsolete, but I need to use it now) working properly, avoiding the
> warnings above, which presumably means getting psnfss working properly
> as well?

Here are all the relevant warnings:

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/ptm/m/n' undefined
(Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 103.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/ptm/bx/n' undefined
(Font)              using `OT1/ptm/m/n' instead on input line 112.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/ptm/m/it' undefined
(Font)              using `OT1/ptm/m/n' instead on input line 112.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OMS/ptm/m/n' undefined
(Font)              using `OMS/cmsy/m/n' instead on input line 237.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/pcr/m/n' undefined
(Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 351.

Some questions:

Are all the fonts involved (requested and substituted) scalable fonts
(i.e. PS type 1 or Truetype), are some bitmap fonts (type 3), or does
one need more information in order to tell?

If there are no bitmap fonts involved, and since in some cases some
other substitution within ptm is done rather than substituting something
from cm, which presumably means that some (most?) of the ptm stuff is
working, how easy would it be, as a hotfix, to copy some .fd files (and
maybe something else) to the directory where the .tex file is to tide me
over until I can get the entire installation properly upgraded?

0
helbig (5064)
12/3/2011 8:52:43 PM
On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 20:15:25 +0000 (UTC), Phillip Helbig
 > In article <1sebve9nxu5hq.dlg@nililand.de>, Ulrike Fischer
 ><news3@nililand.de> writes:
 >
 >> > I need to use this package.  The version I have consists of just:
 >> >
 >> >    \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
 >> >    \renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}
 >> >    \renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}
 >>
 >> > I get the following warnings:
 >> >
 >> >    LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/ptm/m/n' undefined
 >> >    (Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 88.
 >>
 >> You don't have the file OT1ptm.fd (or it is corrupted). The file is
 >> part of the psnfss package.
 >>
 > How much trouble would it be to get the times package (I know it's
 > obsolete, but I need to use it now) working properly, avoiding the
 > warnings above, which presumably means getting psnfss working properly
 > as well?

You can try downloading

http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/required/psnfss/lw35nfss.zip

and extract it at the root of a local or personal texmf tree. Then
update the data base of file names, as in

% texhash $HOME/texmf

Bob T.
0
BobT (1484)
12/3/2011 10:02:52 PM
Am Sat, 3 Dec 2011 20:15:25 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Phillip
Helbig---undress to reply:

>>> I get the following warnings:

>>>    LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/ptm/m/n' undefined
>>>    (Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 88.

>> You don't have the file OT1ptm.fd (or it is corrupted). The file is
>> part of the psnfss package.

>>> As I said, I can live with them for now,

>> Well I couldn't. If I would load in a document the times package to
>> use the times fonts I would not like it if they were replaced by the
>> cm-fonts. ;-)
>
> Maybe I can't.  :-(
>
> I have a LaTeX setup which is about 12 years old.  I recently added some
> more modern .cls files and everything works fine, except for the problem
> above.
>
> Upgrading is on the list of things to do, but I need a quick solution
> now.

> How much trouble would it be to get the times package (I know it's
> obsolete, but I need to use it now)

times is not obsolete. It is a bit dump as it simply changes the
text fonts to times, helvet and courier (and doesn't try to correct
like mathptmx also the math fonts). And the font mix is a bit
dubious.

> working properly, avoiding the warnings above, which presumably
> means getting psnfss working properly as well?

Well beside lw35nfss.zip mentioned by you need to tell dvips or
pdflatex or whatever you are using about the fonts themselves with a
map-file. You can either use psnfss.map which is in the
psnfss-package. With this map the fonts will *not* be embedded in
the ps or pdf-file you are generating. It is up to the viewer
(ghostscript/pdf-viewer) to find and use the correct fonts.

You can also install the fonts themselves, e.g. the urw-clones which
you can find in urw/base35.zip. I don't know where the accompaigning
map-file is hidden on CTAN. miktex uses a file named ps2pk35.map in
this case.

I have no idea how you can add map-files to your old system. I doubt
that updmap already existed at this time. Probably you will have to
add them manually to the various configuration files of dvips,
pdftex, etc.

--
Ulrike Fischer
0
On 2011-12-03, Phillip Helbig---undress to reply wrote:
> In article <848vmtpnpo.fsf@siart.de>, Uwe Siart <usenet@siart.de> writes:

>> Switch from OT1 to T1 font encoding by

>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

>> before loading the 'times' package.

> I get the same warnings.

The *same* or similar?

* If the warning still tells OT1 fonts not found, the font encoding
  switch came too late. (Provide a minimal example)

* If the warning is similar (with T1 in place of OT1), it seems you miss the
  actual fonts (or the correct setup).

> Looks like there is no quick solution; perhaps I should put it on the
> back burner.

Günter
0
milde1 (94)

Page numbers do not appear when i use \usepackage{vmargin}
Hello, I use \usepackage{vmargin} in my preamble, and the result is that no page number appears. I cant not use this package because my formatting gets totally screwed up if i do ( 170 to reformat,,,not fun). Does anyone know what I could do so that the page numbers appear? Thanks mathilda.yared@gmail.com writes: >I use \usepackage{vmargin} in my preamble, and the result is that no >page number appears. >I cant not use this package because my formatting gets totally screwed >up if i do ( 170 to reformat,,,not fun). >Does anyone know what I could do so that the page numbers a...

Time Machine?
Is is safe to go into the backups folder of Time Machine and delete older backups manually to free up hard drive space? Or is it like iPhoto or iTunes where you can mess up the library? The Wolf wrote: > Is is safe to go into the backups folder of Time Machine and delete older > backups manually to free up hard drive space? > > Or is it like iPhoto or iTunes where you can mess up the library? Doing it manually is probably a bad idea, as you might delete a file to which a later backup is pointing. (If a file hasn't changed since the last backup, it doesn't save the w...

sym2poly processing time
Hello Friends, i am writing a code which has the function sym2poly being used. This function is taking a long long time in processing. Its like this is inherently slow in processing. Also, after processing abt 1000 or so images , it just sleeps. It awakes only if there is some action in my PC. By action I mean, closing,opening of windows,..etc. Any clues as to this strange bahaviour. Regards, LFG. "LFG Tech " <vinodkaruvat@gmail.com> wrote in message news:itlb7s$9tq$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > Hello Friends, > > i am writing a code which has the function sy...

Question about Adobe Photoshop, TWAIN MENU costs tooo much time!
When I start my Photoshop 7 there is always a message "Building TWAIN Menu Items" and the computer waits for about 2 minutes! I installed the TWAIN Driver for Canon Power Shot S30 and S40, but I can't remove the TWAIN drivers ;-( is there another way to solve this problem? thanks for help Michael That means that there is a serious problem with one of your installed TWAIN drivers. You'll probably have to find them and manually remove them. Chris In article <3f17bdb3$0$25096$91cee783@newsreader01.highway.telekom.at>, Michael Wulz <spam@gmx.net> wrote: >...

RC Time constant formulas
Ive bin using the 555 timer IC for years and ive never questioned the formulas. I blindly plug what i need into the formula and get the results. Most on this forum are already familiar with the formulas in question but for the novices, these are the ones im referring to: Astable Mode: charge time T1 = 0.693(Ra + Rb)C Discharge time T2 = 0.693RbxC Monostable Mode T = 1.1RC Can someone fill me in on where the numbers .693 and 1.1 come from ? Thanx. I believe these factors are the times in...

Bush died and we cried big time.
Start crying.... Everybody, Bush is dead! (I am not hurrying!) And let's all just skip the forplay. Bush is dead, common women, right here, right now! ...

daylight saving time bug ..
'Daylight-saving time kicks in three weeks ahead of time this year, at 2 a.m. March 11 .. The bad news is your Windows PC, your Mac computer, your old VCR and maybe your TiVo, too might not know about the time change on March 11. You'll have to adjust these things yourself' http://snipurl.com/1aows http://www.syracuse.com/articles/news/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1171533756266491.xml&coll=1 On Monday 19 February 2007 16:14 Doug Mentohl wrote: > 'Daylight-saving time kicks in three weeks ahead of time this year, at 2 > a.m. March 11 .. Nope - 25 March. all of Europe. ...

[News] Games and GNU/Linux: Evidence of Great Times

NY Times on spam
New York Times, July 28, 2003 Totaling Up the Bill for Spam By Saul Hansell BLOOMINGTON, Ind., July 27 � When Indiana University installed its new e-mail system in 2000, it spent $1.2 million on a network of nine computers to process mail for 115,000 students, faculty members and researchers at its main campus here and at satellite facilities throughout the state. It had expected the system to last at least through 2004, but the volume of mail is growing so fast, the university will need to buy more computers this year instead, at a cost of $300,000. Why? Mainly, the rising volume of spam, ...

Re: Plot response category by time #2
K, Is this what you wanted or am I completely out of track Regards, data Survey; input period $ respondent $ education houseown @@; datalines; 01jan07 1 1 2 01feb07 1 5 5 01apr07 1 4 3 01jun07 1 3 5 01jan07 2 2 1 01mar07 2 2 1 01apr07 2 5 3 01jun07 2 3 5 01jan07 3 3 3 01mar07 3 3 1 01may07 3 1 4 01jun07 3 4 5 01jan07 4 3 4 01mar07 4 3 2 01may07 4 2 2 01jul07 4 1 1 01jan07 9 2 5 01mar07 9 1 3 01may07 9 4 4 01jul07 9 1 2 01feb07 5 1 1 01mar07 5 1 5 01may07 5 4 1 01jul07 5 2 3 01feb07 6 2 2 01apr07 6 1 4 01may07 6 3 2 01jul07 6 2 3 01feb...

unix time -> timestamp
I'm pretty sure in 7.0 postgres, (but I may be wrong) you could insert directly from a perl script something like this: $time = time; # this gives epoch seconds $sql = "insert into mytable values(..., timestamp($time), ...) "; And then the $sql string would run with the DBI call, etc. When I tried the same script on 7.2, it would not take it. I think I once found another way to do it in 7.2. Of course, I can create a formatted string in perl that will be accepted by the insert, but it seems inefficient to have to do it through strings. Boyd tbmooreAT...

plot time
Dear all, I want plot the data getting from my program versus the spend time. But the time is not a variable. I try to use the tic toc but I don=92t get the desired result. I don=92t want to use something like t=3D[1:1:100] because it doesn=92t the same time every time to calculate the new solution. Any idea? My program has the following mode: a=3D5; b=3D3; sol=3D[]; s=3D1; for i=3D1:5 [s]=3Dtest(a,b,s); sol=3D[sol;s]; end plot(sol) ------------------------------------------ fun [s]=3Dtest(a,b,s) syms x; charfun=3D3*x^2 + 4*b*x + a*x^5 +s; cal=3Dsolve(charfun); s=3Dmax(cal); Thank...

How to download and install at the same time with pkg-get?
Hello everyone, I'm installing some software packages from blastwave.org, but I'd also like to keep a local copy of the packages in case I need to reinstall them. How can I both download and install packages at the same time? I've tried changing "PKGGET_DOWNLOAD_DIR=" in /opt/csw/etc/pkg-get.conf, looked in /var/run for downloaded packages, and read the man file, but I can't figure out how to do it. Can someone give me a hint? Many thanks, Chris Tidy On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:22:37 +0000, Christopher Tidy wrote: > I'm installing some software packages f...

Re: Server time wandering even with ntpd
Hello, Martin. >>>> Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki@meinberg.de> 4/27/2006 9:18:44 AM = >>> >Michael, > >Michael Weber wrote: >> Greetings! >>=20 >> I'm brand new to this list so if this isn't the correct place for this >> question, please flame gently. >>=20 >> I am running an Oracle database on two Dell 2650 servers. I run a = script >> that resets the clock every night because after 24 hours the clock can = be >> as much as 45 seconds off. I have 20 other servers, running lots of = OS's >&...

real-time workshop #3
I've got an error compiling a simulink model (64bit) using MSVS2005 without specified 64-bit tools. How can I avoid this problem? "Olga " <newsreader@mathworks.com> wrote in message news:h76aea$d8k$1@fred.mathworks.com... > I've got an error compiling a simulink model (64bit) using MSVS2005 > without specified 64-bit tools. How can I avoid this problem? Have a look at http://www.mathworks.com/support/compilers/current_release/win64.html in particular note 6 and the associated technical solution. HTH, Arnaud Thanks, I expected something like this... W...

How to time a tcl script
somthing like time A tcl script At 2007-10-05 10:05AM, "parag_paul@hotmail.com" wrote: > somthing like time A tcl script If you just want the elapsed time from the shell when you run your script, use: times myscript.tcl If you want to time some procedure in your script, see the Tcl time command: http://wiki.tcl.tk/time If you want to profile your script, see: http://wiki.tcl.tk/profile -- Glenn Jackman "You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." -- Dave Barry ...

Usepackage
Forgive my naivety but I have got this stuff \documentclass[A4]{amsart} \usepackage{times,fancyhdr} \usepackage{amssymb} \usepackage{amsmath} \pagestyle{fancy} \newtheorem{lemma}{Lemma} \newtheorem{theorem}{Theorem} in my preamble but need the usepackages that will allow the \begin{lemma} ... \end{lemma} (and same with 'theorem') and the \section and \subsection commands to work. I thought the amssymb would do it but evidently not. Can anyone help? With thanks in advance. I would suggest you make a minimal example, ie an otherwise complete LaTeX script with as...

time complexity of matching algorithm
Hi all, I want to find out the time complexity of the following algorithm: 1 Let M be a one-to-one mapping (called matching) between two sets of n points. With d(p,q), we denote the Euclidean distance between two points p and q. 2 While there are (pi,qi) and (pj,qj) in M such that max(d(pi,qj),d(pj,qi)) < max(d(pi,qi),d(pi,qi)) 3 replace (pi,qi) and (pj,qj) by (pi,qj) and (pj,qi) in M, i.e. exchange the partners if the maximum distance decreases. Now my question is: What is the worst-case complexity of this procedure, i.e., how many times will step 3 be performed in the worst ...

Using Matlab to run external program multiple times
Hi. I want to use matlab for running a exe program multiple times. There is .txt file which is an input for my .exe program 1 - I want to change some numbers and text inside the .txt file. 2 - save it as .txt file. (its routine, so i want to do this by matlab) 3 - run .exe the program. (the output of program is saved into a another .txt file) Then I can load the output into a variable in matlab and graph it and .. the rest I know. How can I do the step (1 and 2) ?! and for step 3 should I use system function ?! or .. Thank you. Ehsan On May 23, 9:13=A0am, "Ehsan " <mirna...

slow print times in autocad 2004 and onwards
Hi, is there any reason why printing from autocad 2004 and up is very slow to our print server? autocad 14 - 2002 is fine. is there a bug in the newer versions? any ideas? ...

Re: time module question
I display a little date and time (down to the seconds) in my Tkinter GUI using Twisted internet sockets and ask Twisted to call a routine the rerequests itself every second. That routine also updates the clock display, so when I can see the seconds counting up, I know that the main event loop isn't frozen for whatever reason. This is not time module functionality, but event scheduling within Twisted. Tkinter also has this capability of calling a function of your choice at some point in the future. This rather handily replaced an older, more paranoid version in which I logged a "heart...

Tracking create and change time
Hi, in the MySQL documentation up to version 5.1 the page "Data Types -> .... -> TIMESTAMP Properties as of MySQL 4.1" states: "It is not possible to have the current timestamp be the default value for one column and the auto-update value for another column." Is this a bug or a feature? I mean... in many applications you need to track when an entry is created and when it was last changed. I'm wondering why this is not implemented, since it is such an important feature. And in 4.1 the TIMESTAMP-type has been worked over, that would have been a chance to implemen...

Question about real-time timing simulation
I am doing real-time image processing with VHDL. But I am not quite sure how I simulate the system with an input image. Basically, an image processing system takes input data from an image source, then does some work, finally output the result. Once I have the vhdl project compiled, for the waveform timing simulation, how could I input data of a 512x512 image as a real-time environment. I don't think I should save the whole image data matrix in some embedded memory blocks. Someone told me that I can try test bench. But I have no idea about that. Can someone give a quick guide or sug...

How to start a service at boot up time?
Hello, I'm new in linux. I want to know how to start a service when the machine boot-up. I wrote the location of the service in /etc/rc.local but it doesn't work. Please help me out.... riaz190@hotmail.com (Riaz Uddin Ahmed) wrote in message news:<ff06a02f.0308200209.52445650@posting.google.com>... > Hello, > > I'm new in linux. I want to know how to start a service when the > machine boot-up. I wrote the location of the service in /etc/rc.local > but it doesn't work. > > Please help me out.... Yes, that will work. You must have made a mistake. ...

Hi ping times ~1000ms
I have a client with a Cisco 2650 with 28mb/4mb. Every morning the router has to be rebooted. When I ping the outside or either of the WICs, I get ping times of around 1000ms Any ideas? Thanks in advance. what is the config this should show what is running on the router. what is connected to the link? have you called the telco (provider) on the link To test the wic.( this is on ciscos web site) do a show controllers on the interface to see if any errors pop up. clear counters create a loopback plug and it in the interface Ping the interface with 1500 size packets. from a console session a...