Adjusting font size in LaTeX.

In pdftex I often take a font primitive statement like:
\font\rm bchr8r at 10.05 pt

and adjust the font size by tiny increments to increase or decrease
the page count.

In contemporary LaTeX, what is the least troublesome way of making
such fine adjustments while avoiding use of the \font primitive?

John Culleton

0
john137 (804)

Am Tue, 30 Sep 2008 06:26:46 -0700 (PDT) schrieb wexfordpress:

> In pdftex I often take a font primitive statement like:
> \font\rm bchr8r at 10.05 pt
>
> and adjust the font size by tiny increments to increase or decrease
> the page count.
>
> In contemporary LaTeX, what is the least troublesome way of making
> such fine adjustments while avoiding use of the \font primitive?

\fontsize{10.05pt}{12pt}\selectfont (if the fd-declarations allows
arbitrary scaling).

--
Ulrike Fischer
0
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 06:26:46 -0700 (PDT), wexfordpress wrote:
 > In pdftex I often take a font primitive statement like:
 > \font\rm bchr8r at 10.05 pt
 >
 > and adjust the font size by tiny increments to increase or decrease
 > the page count.
 >
 > In contemporary LaTeX, what is the least troublesome way of making
 > such fine adjustments while avoiding use of the \font primitive?

I suggest

\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1.005}

This doesn't change the font size but rather increases the white space
between lines.  To be used with discretion.

Bob T.
0
BobT (1484)

Adjusting font-size for system font-size
In Windows XP, there's an accessability wizard that allows the user to change the font size for readability. There's probably something similar in other operating systems. I think it would be a nice thing to do for any users with large system font sizes to detect that and offer up an alternative stylesheet. I don't know how to approach this, though, and I'm sure it involves more than CSS. Is it possible to detect this setting? Ian -- http://www.bookstacks.org/ On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:53:45 GMT, Ian <blank@blank.com> wrote: >I think it would be a nice th...

How to make sure that font style/size in graphics matches with text font/size?
Hi, I'm writing my phd thesis with pdfLaTeX (KOMA script package with "standard" serif fonts, 11 pt) and now have to create technical drawings, schemes and diagrams. (My thesis is about engineering, so there will have to be some technical drawings and sketches, flow charts and schemes, fotos and many many graphs... I'm writing on a PowerBook with OS X, but am also working on a PC with Windows XP.) I'm not sure what software to use to create (vector) graphics and how to ensure that font size and style look good with the text of the document... Should the text in the grap...

!LaTex Error : The font size command \normal size is not defined.
Hello , I am novice to Latex.I have installed teTex release version3.0. I am trying to compile one of the tex files using latex , but unable to because of latex error. !LaTex Error : The font size command \normal size is not defined. there is probably something wrong with the class file. Can anybody please help me in resolving this. Thanks in advance Bhuvana "bhuvana" <bhuvana.aradhya@gmail.com> writes: >I am novice to Latex.I have installed teTex release version3.0. >I am trying to compile one of the tex files using latex , but unable to >because of latex error. > >!LaTex Error : The font size command \normal size is not defined. >there is probably something wrong with the class file. > >Can anybody please help me in resolving this. being a novice, you've probably not been told about the uk tex faq, http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq -- if you'd known about it, you might have found. http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=normalszmiss unless you're using some really broken documentclass, the likeliest thing is you've forgotten the \documentclass command in your document. you would probably profit from looking one of the standard "getting started" latex tutorials -- i always recommend the "not so short guide" http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf but there's a large list in http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tutorials -- Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/f...

Front end text formatting
Hi, I'm totally new to formatting in Mathematica. Please could someone help me make it so my default.nb does fractions that don't shrink in font size? Also, my table font is set to courier and the equations don't do italics as usual. How do I solve this? Many thanks well look hard for options - there are many that may help. here's a clue if you can't find any... on my box Mathematica doubles the Box height when I enter a faction and the fraction is the same size. try changing style sheets? Mine does that for Style Input but not Style Text. For style text the thing does get a double box size but still appears smaller StyleBox[FractionBox[x, y], FontSize -> 18] // DisplayForm shows it larger. there are a few ways you can wrap stylebox around every FractionBox whenever FractionBox is input or whenever it's output. see InputAutoReplacements for one way. Another way is to make FractionBox function yourself (call the orig. one but wrap it). Again there may be a Global Option for BoxData or RowBox I can't find that, using Style Text, chooses a bigger font. HOWEVER. If I change from Text style to Input it is changed: my 1/2 is fully double sized again automatically. ** I'd say pop open the Style Sheet and see where the difference is there ** sorry if that didn't help ...

How to setup the font type/font size for a text in Version 8.xx ???
In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to write into a graphic. But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? Regards Paul Shadowfax wrote: > paulbabb@gmx.ch (Paul Babb) wrote in > news:bg8k62$d34$06$1@news.t-online.com: > > >>In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. >>Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to >>write into a graphic. >> >>But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? > ...

How to setup the font type/font size for a text in Version 8.xx ???
In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to write into a graphic. But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? Regards Paul Shadowfax wrote: > paulbabb@gmx.ch (Paul Babb) wrote in > news:bg8k62$d34$06$1@news.t-online.com: > > >>In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. >>Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to >>write into a graphic. >> >>But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? > > > > They are on the Tool Options Palette. This should be the long ribbon Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the new PSP, it's been three long months, but nobody still wants me... I'd forget about trust, place the blame on Z', I think I'll go tie a gold ribbon about the new Adobe :-) Uni ...

LaTeX Font Warning: Size substitutions with differences (Font) up to 4.0pt have occurred (and 1 more)...
Hi Again, Okay, I've almost cleaned up all warnings, 2 more remain... The full log can be found here: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/158051/ However, the important bits are as follows... Problem 1... ..... Package hyperref Warning: Wrong driver `hdvipson.def'; (hyperref) pdfTeX is running in PDF mode. (hyperref) Forcing driver `hpdftex.def'. *hyperref using driver hpdftex* (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hpdftex.def) (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsmath/amsmath.sty For additional information on...

change matlab workspace font size and editor font size
dear all I wish to change the workspace font size and the editor font size. How do I do it? Thanks in advance, Thanks I have the suggestion in another question posted earlier. "langtran" <lang.tran@iom-world.org> wrote in message news:7795881.1207239680638.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org... > dear all > I wish to change the workspace font size and the editor font size. How do > I do it? > Thanks in advance, Open the Preference window using the Preferences menu item on the File menu. There is a Fonts item in the Preferences that will let ...

size font on a text box
How can i change the size of font on a text box acording the number of character (>25 characters the font size 12 ) Something like this... Use the textbox's Exit event. Private Sub txtBox_Exit(Cancel As Integer) If Len(Me!txtBox) > 25 Then Me!txtBox.FontSize = 12 Else Me!txtBox.FontSize = 10 ' your default here End If End Sub "Themis Parintas ste kardias" <steka2@otenet.gr> wrote in message news:cilpru$k2v$1@usenet.otenet.gr... > How can i change the size of font on a text box acording the number of > character (>25 characters the font size 12 ) > > ...

Huge font size for text
I have an issue with printing notebooks; the input cells print in a small font and the text cells in a huge font. There is much less difference between sizes in the on-screen view. I am using the default style and have set all options to their defaults (at least, I believe so). I'm preparing a notebook for a job application that is important to me and I want to print my output properly. Any suggestions as to what has happened (if anything) and how to fix it? thanks for any help, Matthew. ...

Font, size and colors of text...
I am wondering if I can change font, size and colors of text, with awk? Tks Steph --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.522 / Virus Database: 320 - Release Date: 29/09/2003 Hello, On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:09:02 +0200, Stephane Collas wrote: > I am wondering if I can change font, size and colors of text, with awk? unfortunately, such a question cannot be answered. Sorry, Stepan Kasal In article <blog21$la4$1@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr>, Stephane Collas <stephane.collas@wanadoo.fr> wrote: % I am won...

LaTeX fonts for long texts
Hi all, For typesetting long texts in LaTeX, and I want a nice, comfortable font family for that. I am not too satisfied with the standard fonts bundled with LaTeX. Times and Helvetica are too cliche, Charter is too playful, Palatino is too spacey for me to really like it, and Computer Modern is both cliche and ugly. Utopia still comes closest to what I want, put it lacks some personality. I like the Bera package, containing the Bitstream Vera font families. The sans and monotype are absolutelty gorgeous, but for long texts I prefer a variable width serif. For some reason I find the serif ve...

Changing font size of text
Hi, I'm working with a rather large Simulink model and most of the blocks are put into subsystems. For a good overview I use masks to give each subsystem a name (I prefer this over the name under the block). If I use "fit the system to view" the text on the blocks becomes very small. Is there a way to change the font size of text with the drawing commands? ...

exact font sizes in latex
How do I specify exact font sizes in latex? For example, how do I get 11-point Times New roman, bold ? things like \large, \Large, etc translate into something, but I wasn't able to find 11pt! Thanks, PM Man from Pluto wrote: > How do I specify exact font sizes in latex? > > For example, how do I get 11-point Times New roman, bold ? > > things like \large, \Large, etc translate into something, but > I wasn't able to find 11pt! Use \fontsize. Documentation is in the fntguide file, which you probably already have on your system. (Running "texdoc fntguide...

Font and size in controls and text
Is there anywhere where I can see a general rule for what fonts and sizes I should use for buttons, areas of text and so on in my app so that it fits in my other system applications? Apologies for all of the school boy style questions this afternoon, thanks for your help! Graeme In article <BE4E381B.2160%graeme@memoblock.fsnet.co.uk>, Graeme Warren <graeme@memoblock.fsnet.co.uk> wrote: > Is there anywhere where I can see a general rule for what fonts and sizes I > should use for buttons, areas of text and so on in my app so that it fits in > my other syste...

-webkit-text-size-adjust
How do you access the CSS property -webkit-text-size-adjust with javascript? I've tried a number of things including elem.style.webkitTextSizeAdjust to no avail. Andrew Poulos Andrew Poulos wrote: > How do you access the CSS property -webkit-text-size-adjust with > javascript? > > I've tried a number of things including > elem.style.webkitTextSizeAdjust to no avail. The normal rule is that characters that follow the removed dashes become uppercase, which would imply "WebkitTextSizeAdjust", with an initial uppercase "W". Richard. 27.10.2011...

Figures captions font size bigger than font size used in document
Hi, I would kindly appreciate some help if someobody could show me (if it is possible - ???) how to give a figure a caption text of the same size that is used on the text of the hole document currently set to footnotesize. While placing caption to figures the caption text is of the size "normalsize" and it is desired to have a caption with font size "footnotesize" Many work arounds were tried with the following commands, \floatingfigure \includegraphics \epsfig \minipage the web was searched and some books consulted with out success Best Regards On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:30:49 +0100, Lathe_Biosas <lathe_biosas@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I would kindly appreciate some help if someobody could show me (if it > is possible - ???) > how to give a figure a caption text of the same size that is used on > the text of the hole document currently set to footnotesize. > > While placing caption to figures the caption text is of the size > "normalsize" and it is desired to have a caption with font size > "footnotesize" > > Many work arounds were tried with the following commands, > \floatingfigure > \includegraphics > \epsfig > \minipage > > the web was searched and some books consulted with out success I think you will find the caption package a great relief then. Be sure to grab the latest version from CTAN, see <http://www.ctan.org/info?id=caption>. -- Morten Perfe...

Setting font size in Plain Tex
Hello, To set font size in LaTeX I just have to do \documentclass[10pt]{...} In ConTeXt : \setupbodyfont[12pt] In Plain TeX, how can I do it ? Thank you. R�gis R�gis wrote: > Hello, > > To set font size in LaTeX I just have to do \documentclass[10pt]{...} > In ConTeXt : \setupbodyfont[12pt] > > In Plain TeX, how can I do it ? \font\normal=cmr12 \font\foo=cmssqi10 at 38pt \font\bar=cmdunh10 scaled \magstep3 You have to do one for every variant of every typeface you want to use at each size you want to use it at. You make up the first argument (the name you will re...

Minimum font size in styled text
Eudora 4.3. I have a nice sharp monitor, set to 1200x1600 resolution. When receiving messages with styled text, often the font size is "tiny" (I expect that it would be OK if I used a lower resolution, but I'd rather not do that). Is there a Eudora setting that forces a minimum size without otherwise altering the font? I went through the list from TidBITS, but nothing looked applicable. thanks, Isaac Isaac Wingfield <isw@witzend.com> wrote: > Is there a Eudora setting that forces a minimum size without otherwise > altering the font? I went throu...

how to force a font size on a paragraph of text?
Dear all, I am using the "algorithm2e" environment to write my algorithm. It is quite nice looking. However I try to make the font of my algorihtm text one point smaller than normal text. I write the following: {\small \restylealgo{algoruled} \begin{algorithm} ... blah blah blah ... \caption{... ...} \end{algorithm}} It seems the "\small" command does not reduce the size and has no effect at all. I guess the algorithm environment fixed its size... can anybody help me? Thanks, -Jeonyim ...

Font size of section headings in LaTeX
Dear users, I'm supposed to write an article with following specification: 2. Assessment must be typed - Times New Roman font size 12 3. Section headings - font size 14 or 16, Bold When the report is initialized with \documentclass[12pt,a4paper,titlepage]{article} then the section heading font size is set to ~17pt. Is there any way how to change LaTeX internals to achieve this without breaking anything else? Thank you in advance. Z. zbynek.houska@gmail.com wrote: > I'm supposed to write an article with following specification: > > 2. Assessment must be typed - Times N...

How to change font size in Plain TeX?
As installed, plain TeX uses the Computer Modern fonts in 10 point size. I want my document to appear in 12 point everywhere. I have \font \twelverm=cmr12 in my source file, and now when I say \twelverm the text font increases to 12 point, but the fonts in math mode remain at 10 point. What do I have to do so these also increase to 12 point? I'm using plain TeX, and do not want to switch to LaTeX. sherwood@programmer.net <sherwood@programmer.net> wrote: > As installed, plain TeX uses the Computer Modern fonts in 10 point > size. I want my document to appear in 12 point every...

Font Size on Generic Text Only Driver
A generic text only printer is connected to an EPSON TM-U230 Receipt printer. The default font size is too small for cooks that have a bad eye sight. Is there a way to increase the font size either in the font selection panel or sending some kind of escape command in the printer commands panel? The application does not use the EPSON printer driver and we would rather have the generic device driver set the default font size. Your help would be appreciated in this matter. Andre ...

Fonts (math+text) vs LaTex
Dear group I would like to use a number of Gnuplots in a LaTex document. Many of the plots contain math fonts in axis labels and so on. The standard latex document font is Times while the Gnuplot fonts should all be Helvetica. I have tried to simply use the postscript-eps terminal with large enough fonts and scale the plot to a suitable size for the document. This comes close to the desired result except that on pages with several graphs this can look a bit odd because all the plotting areas are of slightly different dimensions depending on axis labels. Other than that I have tried to use the epslatex terminal since the fonts are all being replaced to match the document fonts. However, here I get a Times font in the plots as well. Have not managed to get rid of these, particularly the math fonts give me a headache. I have 2 questions: 1. Has some got a better idea than what I have tried? 2. When I convert the eps files to pdf by epstopdf, the gridlines and several other line sizes are altered. The entire graph looks crappy. The same happens if converted using Acrobat Writer. Any clues? Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers Ingo On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 03:55:36 -0700, Ingo wrote: > Dear group > > I would like to use a number of Gnuplots in a LaTex document. Many of > the plots contain math fonts in axis labels and so on. The standard > latex document font is Times while the Gnuplot fonts should all be > Helvetica. ...

Web resources about - Adjusting font size in LaTeX. - comp.text.tex

Adjusting Several Sliders On Recording Studio’s Mixing Console Pays Off Big Time - YouTube
Subscribe to The Onion on YouTube: http://bit.ly/xzrBUA Like The Onion on Facebook: http://www.fb.com/theonion Follow The Onion on Twitter: ...

All power to the energy companies when it comes to adjusting prices
When is a contract not a contract? When it is with a power company, it seems.

All power to the energy companies when it comes to adjusting prices
When is a contract not a contract? When it is with a power company, it seems.

Adjusting to life after Afghanistan
Russ Storring on life on a military base at home after three tours in Afghanistan.

Tweeting, self-adjusting 'smart bras' are wearable tech's wild card
As clothes become increasingly equipped with sensors and capable of previously unimaginable connections with the human body, it's possible that ...

Strategic pivot of stabilizing economic growth and adjusting economic structure
People's Daily Online Strategic pivot of stabilizing economic growth and adjusting economic structure People's Daily Online Strategic pivot ...

Chinese economy adjusting to 'new normal'
Chinese economy adjusting to 'new normal'

Apple adjusting App Store prices for several currencies
As it has previously done from time to time, Apple has announced to developers in an email (seen above) that it will be adjusting App Store prices ...

Samsung Adjusting Prices Amid Stalling S6 Sales Growth
Samsung will be "adjusting" prices for the S6 and S6 Edge to maintain sales growth, the company said Thursday after reporting that net income, ...

S Sudan two years on: Adjusting expectations
In 2011, the country celebrated its independence, but building a new state will take decades.