Any documentation for TeX and LaTeX programming ?

Hello

Is there any (online?) documentation for /programming/ with TeX and LaTeX ?

I know there are a lot of documents about using (La)TeX to create books,
but what I need is:
	- macro definition and expansion rules
	- variables (or registers or boxes or token definition lists),
	  assignments and expressions (like addition, multiplication)
	- control statements (if, switch, for, while)
	- console and file input/ouput
and the like, that is I need documentation for TeX as a
(general-purpose) programming language, not just a layout engine.

I hear TeX programming is terribly cryptic and hard to read, and that I
can get the information I want from The TeXbook anyway, but the book is
so much oriented on layout and so little on programming that I have to
wonder if I can find some other text instead.

Of course I do not want to create some large scale GUI application with
TeX, but just to write package.

Thank you,
Timothy Madden
0
terminatorul (163)

On Oct 18, 11:16=A0am, Timothy Madden <terminato...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is there any (online?) documentation for /programming/ with TeX and LaTeX=
 ?

> I know there are a lot of documents about using (La)TeX to create books,
> but what I need is:
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - macro definition and expansion rules
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - variables (or registers or boxes or token definition li=
sts),
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 assignments and expressions (like addition, multiplic=
ation)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - control statements (if, switch, for, while)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - console and file input/ouput
> and the like, that is I need documentation for TeX as a
> (general-purpose) programming language, not just a layout engine.
>
> I hear TeX programming is terribly cryptic and hard to read, and that I
> can get the information I want from The TeXbook anyway, but the book is
> so much oriented on layout and so little on programming that I have to
> wonder if I can find some other text instead.
>
> Of course I do not want to create some large scale GUI application with
> TeX, but just to write package.

At one time, Victor Eijkhout had some class notes available which
touched upon this sort of thing (if I remember correctly). His book
_TeX by Topic_ is still available though:

http://www.eijkhout.net/texbytopic/texbytopic.html

Here's a TUG article on functional programming and teaching it using
TeX:

http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb30-3/tb96hufflen-func.pdf

The LaTeX Project has created the ``expl3 programming language'':

http://www.latex-project.org/papers/eurotex-2005-notes/LaTeX3code.html

and here's a web page on programming in TeX w/ various techniques and
commentary:

http://randomdeterminism.wordpress.com/2009/03/05/tex-programming-the-past-=
the-present-and-the-future/

William
0
willadams (1425)
10/18/2011 6:47:54 PM
On 18/10/11 16:16, Timothy Madden wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is there any (online?) documentation for /programming/ with TeX and LaTeX ?
>
> I know there are a lot of documents about using (La)TeX to create books,
> but what I need is:
> - macro definition and expansion rules
> - variables (or registers or boxes or token definition lists),
> assignments and expressions (like addition, multiplication)
> - control statements (if, switch, for, while)
> - console and file input/ouput
> and the like, that is I need documentation for TeX as a
> (general-purpose) programming language, not just a layout engine.

Knuth's _TeXbook_ is the canonical reference for the underlying TeX
language. While Lamport's manual for LaTeX, and the more recent LaTeX
Companion series cover a lot of the constructs used in LaTeX, neither of
them is actually a manual for the programming in LaTeX.

But if you have read and grokked all of the _TeXbook_, you can then
examine the source code of LaTeX and understand most of it :-)

> I hear TeX programming is terribly cryptic and hard to read,

It can be made that way by some programmers; it certainly doesn't need
to be. Personally, I prefer extensive inline documentation (in literate
programming style) and very explicit code, choosing several short but
obvious steps rather than a few more complex ones. Computer scientists
will shudder in horror at the inefficiency of this approach, but I'm not
trying to shave femtoseconds off my execute times at the expense of
being able to understand what I wrote a year later.

> and that I
> can get the information I want from The TeXbook anyway, but the book is
> so much oriented on layout and so little on programming that I have to
> wonder if I can find some other text instead.

Are we talking about the same book here? Knuth certainly uses laid-out
examples to illustrate usage and introduce concepts for the user, but
virtually all the single-bend and double-bend example material is raw
programming.

> Of course I do not want to create some large scale GUI application with
> TeX, but just to write package.

There are several documents about package and class writing. The LaTeX
Companion devotes some chapters to this, and the clsguide package is a
good start. There have also been several papers in TUGboat and the
PracTeX journal on the topic. But these cover package formation, rather
than actual programming.

///Peter

0
peter2615 (652)
10/18/2011 8:41:47 PM
"William F. Adams" <willadams@aol.com> writes:

> On Oct 18, 11:16�am, Timothy Madden <terminato...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there any (online?) documentation for /programming/ with TeX and LaTeX ?
>>
>> I know there are a lot of documents about using (La)TeX to create books,
>> but what I need is:
>> � � � � - macro definition and expansion rules
>> � � � � - variables (or registers or boxes or token definition lists),
>> � � � � � assignments and expressions (like addition, multiplication)
>> � � � � - control statements (if, switch, for, while)
>> � � � � - console and file input/ouput
>> and the like, that is I need documentation for TeX as a
>> (general-purpose) programming language, not just a layout engine.
>>
>> I hear TeX programming is terribly cryptic and hard to read, and that I
>> can get the information I want from The TeXbook anyway, but the book is
>> so much oriented on layout and so little on programming that I have to
>> wonder if I can find some other text instead.
>
> At one time, Victor Eijkhout had some class notes available which
> touched upon this sort of thing (if I remember correctly). His book
> _TeX by Topic_ is still available though:
>
> http://www.eijkhout.net/texbytopic/texbytopic.html

or http://mirror.ctan.org/info/texbytopic/TeXbyTopic.pdf

(that url has the advantage of spreading the load, and in particular not

> Here's a TUG article on functional programming and teaching it using
> TeX:
>
> http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb30-3/tb96hufflen-func.pdf
>
> The LaTeX Project has created the ``expl3 programming language'':
>
> http://www.latex-project.org/papers/eurotex-2005-notes/LaTeX3code.html

that's a rather ancient reference.  one could trace the start of the
current renaissance of latex 3 to that meeting, but an *awful* lot has
been done since.

i would rather recommend the current ctan docs of the latex 3 effort:

"interfaces:
http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/l3kernel/interface3.pdf

the language:
http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/l3kernel/expl3.pdf

style guide:
http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/l3kernel/l3styleguide.pdf

> and here's a web page on programming in TeX w/ various techniques and
> commentary:
>
> http://randomdeterminism.wordpress.com/2009/03/05/tex-programming-the-past-the-present-and-the-future/

interesting; i tend not to look at people's blogs (or things like
visagetome), but this one looks worth more detailed consideration.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
my address is @cl.cam.ac.uk, regardless of the header.  sorry about that.

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pgf/contrib/pgfplots/doc/latex/pgfplots

Ignasi
0
nignasi (27)
10/19/2011 2:46:00 PM
Timothy Madden wrote:

> Hello
>
> Is there any (online?) documentation for /programming/ with TeX and LaTeX ?
>
> I know there are a lot of documents about using (La)TeX to create books,
> but what I need is:
> - macro definition and expansion rules
> - variables (or registers or boxes or token definition lists),
>   assignments and expressions (like addition, multiplication)
> - control statements (if, switch, for, while)
> - console and file input/ouput
> and the like, that is I need documentation for TeX as a
> (general-purpose) programming language, not just a layout engine.
>
> I hear TeX programming is terribly cryptic and hard to read,

Maybe it appears cryptic at the beginning.  But "terribly" and
"hard" seem to be related to sentimental valuations which
came into being due to hearsay. I think often the hardest
autodidactic part is to overcome the daunting effect of such
hearsay.

> and that I
> can get the information I want from The TeXbook anyway, but the book is
> so much oriented on layout and so little on programming

I don't think the TeXbook is all too much oriented on layout.

I think the TeXbook is focused on "describing the factory",
and if I got you right, you seek a source of advice which is
focused on the matter of becoming a good macro-
programmer.

E.g., Chapter 20: Definitions (also called Macros)  is not at all
oriented on layout. Neither are the syntax-rules introduced in
chapter 24: Summary of Vertical Mode in a modified form of
John Backus' and Peter Naur's grammatical notation for the
definition of computer-languages...

[ When I started using TeX, I wasted a lot of time as I tried
to immediately transfer/to immediately apply my knowldege
about concepts of procedural or object oriented programming
languages like pascal, c or c++ or whatever (---e.g. concepts like
"variable", "object", "function" or "procedure") to (La)TeX-related
matters without taking into account the fact that (La)TeX is not
such a  language but a macro-language and thus is somewhat
different in various aspects. In other words: I did not take into
account the fact that (La)TeX was a "factory" entirely different
from the "factories" by then known to me (pascal, delphi, c, c++)
and as I did not care about reading that "factory's" description
carefully enough, my "attempts at producing" turned out very
bad... ]

D.E.K. put the information he wished to convey to the reader
into rather compressed nonetheless precise wording.
Thus you need to read carefully and you need to be focused
on what is said in each (elliptical) (subordinate) clause in order to
get the full picture and thus to obtain/conclude also those details
that you were interested in when starting to read the book.

Needing to be concentrated and focused at each word makes dull
reading sometimes, but in the TeXbook there are jokes every once
in a while... ;-)

> that I have to
> wonder if I can find some other text instead.

I think there are some other texts.

You can find a lot in the comp.text.tex google-groups-archive.

I also appended a list of my favourite links and pointers to
TeX-usage-related and TeX-programming-related documentation.

Material that can be reached via the URL:  http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/
or via the URL:                            http://ctan.org/tex-archive/
can usually also be reached via the URL:   http://mirror.ctan.org/ .

Afaik the latter URL automatically connects to the CTAN-mirror which is
closest to the location of the computer where the URL was called from.

Sincerely

Ulrich

General
-------

1) The UK List of TeX Frequently Asked Questions on the Web
   (UK-TeX-FAQ):
   http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes

   In the UK-TeX-FAQ  there is a section "Documentation and Help"
   where you can find links and pointers to many good introductions,
   tutorials and references:
   http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tutorials*

2) The TeX Catalogue by Graham Williams, Topic Index by J�rgen Fenn:
   http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/bytopic.html

LaTeX
-----

1) Commented source-code of LaTeX2e-format with hyperlink-index
   by Heiko Oberdiek:
   Johannes Braams, David Carlisle, Alan Jeffrey, Leslie Lamport,
   Frank Mittelbach, Chris Rowley, Rainer Sch�pf - The LaTeX2e-sources:

   source2e.pdf from latex-tds, module "base".
   Single latex-tds-modules can be found on CTAN:
     http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/latex-tds/
   source2e.pdf is in module
     http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/latex-tds/base.tds.zip
   (You can get all modules from:
     http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/latex-tds/latex-tds.tds.zip)

2) Martin Scharrer - List of internal LaTeX2e Macros useful to Package Authors
   http://mirror.ctan.org/info/macros2e
   http://mirror.ctan.org/info/macros2e/macros2e.pdf

3) Karl Berry, Torsten Martinsen, George Greenwade and Stephen Gilmore -
   The LaTeX2e help:
   http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~tbauer/latex2e.hlp
   (Windows help-file)
   http://mirror.ctan.org/help/Catalogue/entries/latex2e-help-texinfo.html
   (texinfo-zip and html)

4) Michael Wiedmann - References for TeX and friends:
   http://www.miwie.org/tex-refs/

5) David R. Wilkins - Getting Started with LaTeX :
   html-format: http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/
   pdf-file:    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/GSWLaTeX.pdf

6) Tobias Oetiker et al. - The not so short introduction to LaTeX 2e:
   http://mirror.ctan.org/info/lshort/
   http://mirror.ctan.org/info/lshort/english/

7) Indian TeX-group - LaTeX primer:
   http://sarovar.org/download.php/120/ltxprimer-1.0.pdf

8) Ki-Joo Kim - How to Create PDF from LaTeX:
   http://math.uni.lodz.pl/~czacza/spi/zajecia7-10/doc/latex2pdf.pdf

9) Herbert Vo� - Math mode - v.2.47:
   http://mirror.ctan.org/info/math/voss/mathmode/Mathmode.pdf

10) Mark Trettin - Das LATEX2e-S�ndenregister oder Veraltete Befehle,
    Pakete und andere Fehler (German language)
    English translation thereof by J�rgen Fenn - An essential guide to
    LATEX2e usage /Obsolete commands and packages:
    http://mirror.ctan.org/info/l2tabu/

11) The LaTeX3 Project - LaTeX2e for Class and Package Writers:
    http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/doc/clsguide.pdf

    The LaTeX3 Project - LaTeX2e for authors:
    http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/doc/usrguide.pdf

    The LaTeX3 Project - LaTeX2e font selection
    http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/doc/fntguide.pdf

    The LaTeX3 Project - Configuration options for LaTeX2e
    http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/doc/cfgguide.pdf

    The LaTeX3 Project - Modifying LaTeX
    http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/doc/modguide.pdf

12) Scott Pakin - How to Package Your LaTeX Package
    http://mirror.ctan.org/info/dtxtut/
    http://mirror.ctan.org/info/dtxtut/dtxtut.pdf

TeX
---

1) Donald Ervin Knuth - The TeXBook:
   http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/abcde.html
   http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/knuth/dist/tex/texbook.tex
   (Politics with this file are funny:
    The core source-file is freely and publicly available and you are
    allowed to look at it for "didactic reasons". But you must not
    compile this source-code as the resulting book is protected by
    US-copyright-laws.)

2) Victor Eijkhout - TeX by topic:
   Project-Webpage:  http://eijkhout.net/texbytopic/texbytopic.html
   TeX sources of the Book: https://savannah.nongnu.org/files/?group=texbytopic
          [the tar-file contains a tar.gz-archive containing also the pdf-file]
   pdf-file: http://mirror.ctan.org/info/texbytopic
             http://mirror.ctan.org/info/texbytopic/TeXbyTopic.pdf

3) David Salomon - An introduction to TeX, part 1, NTG course june 1992
   http://mirror.ctan.org/usergrps/ntg/maps/maps08/maps08_i.ps.gz

--------

1) Michael Downes - Around the dangerous bend of TeXbook:

   In the years 1991-1994, Michael Downes passed a series of
   "challenges/exercises" for public discussion to info-tex
   and to comp.text.tex. The discussions were about some very hard
   and tricky problems in TeX which are often encountered by
   (La)TeX-macro-programmers. He collected and posted summaries of
   the best solutions.
   You can find the whole collection (all exercises and answers) in
   plain-text-format at:
      http://mirror.ctan.org/info/aro-bend/
      http://mirror.ctan.org/info/challenges/aro-bend
   You can find the whole collection (all exercises and answers) in
   portable-document-format (pdf) at:
      http://mirror.ctan.org/info/challenges/AroBend
      http://mirror.ctan.org/info/challenges/AroBend/AroundTheBend.pdf

   Here is a quote from his initial posting in 1991:

     Proposal for a regular feature:

         AROUND THE BEND

     With the encouragement of George Greenwade (the INFO-TeX list
     owner), I would like to propose a regular department for INFO-TeX,
     called `Around the bend'. It will consist of macro-writing
     challenges on the level of the dangerous-bend exercises in the
     TeXbook, with interested parties invited to collaborate and/or
     compete to find the best solution. My motivation for doing this is
     partly selfish: to get more feedback from other macro writers
     about some of the interesting macro-writing problems that I run
     into.

2) TeX Pearl divers site:
   http://www-stary.gust.org.pl/pearls/
   http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/pearls
   Enjoy TeX pearls diving!

   Quote from the web-page:

     A permanent call for TeX Pearls
     What is wanted:
     short TeX, MetaFont or MetaPost macro/macros (half A4 page or half a
     screen at most), the code should be generic; potentially understand-
     able by plain-oriented users, results need not be useful or serious,
     but language-specific, tricky, preferably non-obvious, obscure
     oddities, weird TeX behaviour, dirty and risky tricks and traps are
     also welcome, the code should be explainable in a couple of minutes.
     Already collected pearls can be found at this website and archive
     GUST materials. All pearl-divers and pearl-growers are kindly asked
     to send the pearl-candidates to pearls@gust.org.pl, where
     Pawe\l{} Jackowski, our pearl-collector, is waiting impatiently.
     The pearls market-place is active the entire year, not just before
     annual BachoTeX Conference.

e-TeX-extensions
----------------

1) The NTS Team, Peter Breitenlohner - The e-TeX manual:
   http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/e-tex/v2/doc/etex_man.pdf

pdfTeX-extensions
------------------

1) H�n Th� Th�nh, Sebastian Rahtz, Hans Hagen, Hartmut Henkel,
   Pawel Jackowski, Martin Schroder - The pdfTeX manual:

   http://sarovar.org/docman/index.php?group_id=106&selected_doc_group_id=307&language_id=1

   http://sarovar.org/docman/view.php/106/64/pdftex-a.pdf

   Syntax of pdfTeX: http://sarovar.org/docman/view.php/106/67/pdftex-syntax.txt

LaTeX 3
-------

1) The LaTeX3-project - The expl3 package and LaTeX3 programming:
   http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/l3kernel/expl3.pdf

   The LaTeX3-project - The LaTeX3 interfaces:
   http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/l3kernel/interface3.pdf

   The LaTeX3-project - The LaTeX3 kernel: style guide for code authors
   http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/l3kernel/l3styleguide.pdf

   The LaTeX3-project - Syntax changes in LaTeX3 functions:
   http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/l3kernel/l3syntax-changes.pdf

   The LaTeX3-project - The LaTeX3 sources
   http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/l3kernel/source3.pdf

Lua(La)TeX
----------

1) Manuel P�gouri�-Gonnard - A guide to LuaLaTeX
   http://mirror.ctan.org/info/luatex/lualatex-doc/
   http://mirror.ctan.org/info/luatex/lualatex-doc/lualatex-doc.pdf

2) LuaTeX-Homepage:
   http://www.luatex.org/
   List of references to documentation on LuaTeX-Homepage:
   http://www.luatex.org/documentation.html

3) LuaTeX development team: LuaTeX Reference beta 0.71.0:
   http://www.luatex.org/svn/trunk/manual/luatexref-t.pdf

   LuaTeX development team: LuaTeX Reference beta 0.66.0:
   http://www.luatex.org/manuals/luatexref-t-070.pdf

XeTeX
-----

1) Michel Goossens - The XeTeX Companion. TeX meets OpenType and
   Unicode. (Work in progress.):
   http://xml.web.cern.ch/XML/lgc2/xetexmain.pdf

2) Will Robertson - The XeTeX reference guide:
   http://mirror.ctan.org/info/xetexref/XeTeX-reference.pdf
0
eu_angelion (344)
10/19/2011 4:40:32 PM
Ulrich  D i e z <eu_angelion@web.de> writes:

> Material that can be reached via the URL:  http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/
> or via the URL:                            http://ctan.org/tex-archive/
> can usually also be reached via the URL:   http://mirror.ctan.org/ .

www.ctan.org and ctan.org are (intriguingly) two names for a machine
that isn't part of ctan any more -- it's just another mirror, available
via mirror.ctan.org

in particular, it's no longer part of the rapid update mechanism, so
it's not likely to be any more up to date than is any other site via
mirror.ctan.org

> Afaik the latter URL automatically connects to the CTAN-mirror which is
> closest to the location of the computer where the URL was called from.

that's the general idea, but there are of course difficulties in mapping
from ip source address to geographical location.

> General
> -------
>
> 1) The UK List of TeX Frequently Asked Questions on the Web
>    (UK-TeX-FAQ):
>    http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes
>
>    In the UK-TeX-FAQ  there is a section "Documentation and Help"
>    where you can find links and pointers to many good introductions,
>    tutorials and references:
>    http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tutorials*
>
> 2) The TeX Catalogue by Graham Williams, Topic Index by J�rgen Fenn:
>    http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/bytopic.html

i'm not sure that graham williams does much with the catalogue any more
(he still has write permissions, but it's age since i saw anything from
him).  it was his (brilliant) idea in the first place.

j"urgen fenn and i are agreed that his topic list should be generated
automatically.  so i'm slowly trudging through the catalogue assigning
topic elements to everything's xml file.  it's boring work, but i don't
have much else to do during my lunch hour...and it'll be worth it (i
used to know where everything is on ctan, but age is creeping up on my
memory for useless things...).

> LaTeX

no comment on this excellent list.  some day i'll check through them all
and perhaps update the uk faq.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
my address is @cl.cam.ac.uk, regardless of the header.  sorry about that.
0
rf10 (3613)
10/19/2011 6:41:47 PM
On Oct 18, 4:16=A0pm, Timothy Madden <terminato...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is there any (online?) documentation for /programming/ with TeX and LaTeX=
 ?

As I recall, Stephan von Bechtolsheim's TEX in practice, particularly
volumes (!) 1 & 3, covers the TeX side quite nicely.

Not available on-line (AFAIK) but in my experience, usually found in
dusty corners of university libraries.

Regards

Mark
0
vibrovski (20)
10/20/2011 6:30:22 AM
vibrovski <vibrovski@googlemail.com> writes:

> On Oct 18, 4:16�pm, Timothy Madden <terminato...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there any (online?) documentation for /programming/ with TeX and LaTeX ?
>
> As I recall, Stephan von Bechtolsheim's TEX in practice, particularly
> volumes (!) 1 & 3, covers the TeX side quite nicely.
>
> Not available on-line (AFAIK) but in my experience, usually found in
> dusty corners of university libraries.

i found a copy (all 4 volumes, still in the original shrink-wrap) being
used as a door-stop.  i asked, and was given them.

svb wrote a couple of articles in tugboat, which i found useful, and i
had expressed interest in his scheme for purchase (proof read samples,
get the book latter [at a discount?]).  i missed notice of the book's
publication, and i now seldom look at my copy.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
my address is @cl.cam.ac.uk, regardless of the header.  sorry about that.
0
rf10 (3613)
10/20/2011 11:03:54 AM
Robin Fairbairns <rf10@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> svb wrote a couple of articles in tugboat,

When I started writing TbT more than one person told me "SvB is about to
publish the ultimate TeX book. Why bother?". Good thing I didn't let
that discourage me.

I don't know what became of him. Twenty years ago his place of
employment and mine were a moderate drive apart so I visited him and his
family once. Nice guy, and he obviously put a lot of work in his book,
which in addition to describing TeX was also a kind of a macro package.

Victor.
--
Victor Eijkhout -- eijkhout at tacc utexas edu
0
On Oct 18, 3:16=A0pm, Timothy Madden <terminato...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is there any (online?) documentation for /programming/ with TeX and LaTeX=
 ?

TeX for the Impatient is a good one....

ftp://tug.org/tex/impatient/book.pdf

Regards,

Andrew Marlow
On Oct 24, 1:33=A0pm, Andrew <marlow.and...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 3:16=A0pm, Timothy Madden <terminato...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello
>
> > Is there any (online?) documentation for /programming/ with TeX and LaT=
eX ?

> TeX for the Impatient is a good one....
>
> ftp://tug.org/tex/impatient/book.pdf
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew Marlow

Dear TeX guys,

Thanks for the documentation. I enjoying to read all these
documentations.

Kindly specify the documentation which is useful to study the font
installation in MikTeX step by step process.

Thanks in advance,
Ganesh
0
ganeshst81 (17)
10/24/2011 10:46:24 AM
Ganesh Loganathan <ganeshst81@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the documentation. I enjoying to read all these
> documentations.
>
> Kindly specify the documentation which is useful to study the font
> installation in MikTeX step by step process.

afaik there's no book that would help.

what sorts of fonts do you need to install? -- choices are

metafont (*.mf) -- actually quite easy
adobe type 1 (*.pfb *.pfa) -- pretty intricate
truetype (*.ttf) -- simple to install, only easy to use from xetex or luatex
opentype (*.otf) -- as truetype

there's a wealth of documentation on http://miktex.org but i've never
looked for font installation there.

of course, if the font is available as a miktex package, installation is
a doddle, since the miktex package manager will do it all for you.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
my address is @cl.cam.ac.uk, regardless of the header.  sorry about that.
0
rf10 (3613)

TeX programming for XML TeX
Dear TeX programmers, Kindly guide me how to develop the XML TeX work flow. Regards, Ganesh On 04/07/11 06:20, Ganesh Loganathan wrote: > Dear TeX programmers, > > Kindly guide me how to develop the XML TeX work flow. You have asked this several times. Have you done any work on finding out what to do? Do you mean XMLTeX (the program) or "XML and TeX" as a generic platform? Transforming XML to LaTeX requires learning a transformation scripting language such as XSLT. This should be your first task. The workflow looks something like this: 1. Author's text (usually in Word OOXML or OpenOffice ODT. but maybe in TEI or DocBook or a house XML schema): a. parse and validate b. (OOXML and ODT only) apply named styles to every object that requires formatting. c. add missing markup where required (editorial task). 2. Write XSLT (or equivalent) for first transformation to your required style in LaTeX (in a production environment, this would mean modifying your internal standard template, not writing it anew). 3. First proof formatted in LaTeX sent to editor and author for correction. 4. Repeat 1-3 as needed. 5. Penultimate proof to designer for corrections to styling. 6. Apply corrections, produce final proof; repeat 5-6 until correct. 7. Add PDF/x metadata and colourspacing if needed. If colour is used, colour correction and scoping will be needed at some stage, but this is a non-XML, non-LaTeX task, so it&#...

Using border.tex on an existing tex document
Hi I'm trying to use border.tex from the TeX archive to apply a border around = a page (http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/entries/border.html). At the moment, as soon as I switch on borders using \borderson, the border = appears but all of my content disappears. Without \borderson the page conte= nt renders as expected (though of course, no border!). I've tried fiddling = with the page dimensions etc but I'm not entirely convinced thats whats cau= sing it. The border.tex macro looks like it should do exactly what I want, = apart from the missing content ;( The original tex content was generated using OpenJade ("openjade" version "= 1.3.2", "OpenSP" version "1.5") to convert from DocBook (v4.5) SGML/DSSSL i= f that makes any difference. The problem we have is DocBook/OpenJade/SGML/D= SSSL doesn't provide a way to wrap an entire page with a border (the best I= can do is wrap the page content in a border meaning headers and footers ge= t their own disjointed borders). I'm processing the tex file using pdfjadetex (pdfTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-= 1.10b, kpathsea version 3.4.5) Thanks in advance :) Ian ikent@companieshouse.gov.uk wrote: > I'm trying to use border.tex from the TeX archive to apply a border around a page (http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/entries/border.html). > > At the moment, as soon as I switch on borders using \borderson, the border appears Except that border.tex % border.tex: Macros...

HELP: Need text output for a .tex document
I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi -> Postscript). It is of type article and doesnt do anything exciting, just uses things like center and the list environment. Im sure that this is possible, its just been SO long since I had to do anything like this. Please, someone, how do I do this. -- Reg.Clemens reg@dwf.com Reg Clemens wrote: > I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I ...

Why (and is) TeX bug-free ? How big is TeX (programmed in Web). Computer understandable software specifications.
Hi, Is TeX bug-free ? How many lines of code does it have ? When developing software can humans communicate in "computer understandable specifications which the computer can fix" to boost productivity by 2 or more orders of magnitude. Is there ANY computer program (besides TeX) in which cash rewards are offered for any bug found, and no bug could be found. In 5 years time we will not have 2 GHz QUAD FOUR CPUs from INTEL, we will probably have 2 GHz HEX 16 CPUs from INTEL ---------------- so if I want to write my own web-site or small Point of sale program or small financial account...

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly is: \expandafter\ifx\csname pmn@scaled\endcsname\relax \let\pmn@scaled\@empty \else \edef\pmn@scaled{s*[1.2]}% \fi I think what this says is "if pnm@scaled is not defined (case 1), leave it empty, otherwise set it to "s[1.2]". But the else clause is not working correctly, and I don't know how to differentiate between "defined by keyval but with no value" and "defined by keyval but with a value". Also I'm pretty sure I don't really know the difference between \let and \edef. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. JDO john_owens@yahoo.com schrieb: > I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble > getting the right behavior, which is: > > If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a > variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". > ...

Need an introductory powerpoint presentation on LaTeX and a few tex documents...
Dear all, I am a PhD student in economics and I will do a presentation on LaTeX at the PhD Seminar next week. I know how to use LaTeX but I have no proper powerpoint presentation and no document that I could use for the presentation as I so far still write with word or openoffice. I was wondering if one of you would have the kindness to let me know where I can find a presentation or maybe send me one? I am a busy busy PhD student and I truly lack time to prepare one... Could also one of you send me an latex document that has like headers, footers, a bibliography and just the main characteristi...

Table.TeX in Plain TeX
Dear all Normally we use the "Table.TeX" for aligning and formatting Tables in Plain TeX. Unfortunately I don't have the "Table.TeX". Can any one supply this or give any ideas of where it can be found. Thanks and Regards Saravanan,M. India Saravanan_Typesetter@yahoo.co.in (Saravanan,M.) writes: >Normally we use the "Table.TeX" for aligning and formatting Tables in >Plain TeX. Unfortunately I don't have the "Table.TeX". i suspect you may be thinking of tables.tex (plural tables). that is available on ctan, together with some documenta...

Proofreading Volunteers: LaTeX math, (La)TeX programming, and tikz
Dear all, I'm looking for some volunteers who are willing to proofread some pages about one of the following: (1) Mathematical typesetting inLaTeX: +/- 36 pages (but lots of symbol tables). (2) LaTeX/TeX programming: +/- 25 pages (with a few listings). (3) tikz programming: +/- 32 pages (but lots of pictures). All page counts are based on 11pt/A4 paper size. If you're interested in proofreading one of these topics then that'd be very much appreciated. Just contact me by email and I can provide some more information off-line. Regards, Marc van Dongen (dongen...

on tex and latex
Hi there. I have a question more strictly about latex, but the only group I found on my news server is alt.sex.fetish.latex. I've been reading the TeXbook, and I now I've been wondering why we have a latex executable in the distribution of latex. My distribution is pdfetex which seems to replace tex entirely. Reading the TeXbook, it seems that TeX, as designed in the book, seems powerful enough to allow abstractions written in pure TeX code. Apparently, there's something called e-TeX which pdfetex is a derivative, so I suppose there are extensions on the capabilities of Knuth...

From LaTeX to TeX
Greetings! As I get more confident with LaTeX and strive to do more and more complex things (which I know are possible, after seeing), I seem to come across a lot of TeX commands. Is this supposed to happen? Shouldn't LaTeX wrap all of TeX's functionality? And if not, what's the proper way to include these commands? Since more people must have come across this stage, could someone point me to useful resources on LaTeX - TeX integration? Yours faithfully, Renato Serodio no_spam_rdrs@gmx.de, In a message on 19 Jan 2004 16:11:40 GMT, wrote : n> Greetings! n> n&...

Documentation of TeX
Hi all. I have been trying to write the odd .cls file or package for LaTeX. Every now and then, I get myself into a corner where I need to dive into TeX to get anywhere. I do have Knuth's "The TeX book", but I can't really make sense of it. Somehow, it seems to be written as a keyword list for those who already know TeX; it doesn't work very well as an intro text. The main shortcoming is that there is no general overview of how programs are structured, only gazilions of details. I have found this set of books http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201734168/sr=8-1/qid=1153...

tex or latex?
I wish to learn tex. Can someone advise which is easier to learn and which is better - tex or latex? And where can I find a beginner's tutorial on any of these? Secondly, there are lots to tex and latex packages available. Which one do I need to install to use tex or latex? Regards, mowgli On May 20, 8:31 pm, mowgli <knowledgel...@gmail.com> wrote: > I wish to learn tex. Can someone advise which is easier to learn and > which is better - tex or latex? And where can I find a beginner's > tutorial on any of these? The "not so short guide to Latex" is a good ...

WANTED: Regular expressions for breaking TeX/LaTeX document into tokens
Hi Does anyone know of a collection of regular expressions that will break a TeX/LaTeX document into tokens? Assume that there is no verbatim or other category code changes. Thanks Jonathan On Feb 24, 5:03=A0am, Jonathan Fine <J.F...@open.ac.uk> wrote: > Hi > > Does anyone know of a collection of regular expressions that will break > a TeX/LaTeX document into tokens? =A0Assume that there is no verbatim or > other category code changes. > > Thanks > > Jonathan It is my understanding that TeX/LaTeX is *not* a regular language, and therefore cannot be acc...

program to display text files with imbedded TeX Math expressions.
I am reading a mailing list. Some of the messages contain embedded TeX math expressions (escaped with $). The messages themselves are not valid TeX or LaTeX; they do not have the proper headers. Are there programs to properly display these math expressions? -- Paul Elliott 1(512)837-1096 pelliott@io.com PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J http://www.io.com/~pelliott/pme/ Austin TX 78758-3117 Under Plain TeX you dont need any headers. Just an ending \bye. On NeXTstep you could use TeXview.app's TeX eq -> eps Service to convert them inlin...

TeX
Hi, I am attempting to get emTeX running. Does anyone have recent experience with this software? In particular, will installation of the emx dll included with the package conflict with more recent emx releases? Also, is support for recent printers available anywhere? TIA RWM On 2004-06-16, Robert Murr <rwmurr@pcmagic.net> wrote: > I am attempting to get emTeX running. If you don't have a special reason to install emTeX I would start with VTex. There is a OS/2-Version that's free for personal use. Works very well. http://www.micropress-inc.com > Does anyone have recent experience with this software? > > In particular, will installation of the emx dll included with the > package conflict with more recent emx releases? Allways make shure that you use _only_ the latest emx-runtime (0.9d) > Also, is support for recent printers available anywhere? For recent printers you might use ghostcript via 'uniprint' Franz Franz Bakan wrote: >On 2004-06-16, Robert Murr <rwmurr@pcmagic.net> wrote: > > > >>I am attempting to get emTeX running. >> >> > >If you don't have a special reason to install emTeX >I would start with VTex. There is a OS/2-Version >that's free for personal use. Works very well. > >http://www.micropress-inc.com > > > >>Does anyone have recent experience with this software? >&g...

TeX
Check it out: www.BrandonsMansion.com ...

looking for latex document .tex, dealing with matrices, tensor notation, computational fluid dynamics etc.
Hi there, I usually do my latex reports/documents by having a template or at least some sort of .tex file to look at. I'm now working with a template I made myself, using memoir: Having done a few reports (about 4-5) in latex, this is the first time I'm going to write a report with more advanced mathematics, integrals, derivates, greek symbols etc (see subj. line). So I would be happy if somebody would be willing to share part of (or complete) their latex documents dealing with these topics, just so that I don't have to "invent" everything from the beginning agai...

Docx to TeX and TeX to Doc conversion
Dear TeX Experts, Really I proud of all the Experts. Kindly suggest me in Mik TeX itself any options to convert TeX to Doc conversion with high quality of equations also. I expecting the positive answers from the Great Team. Thanks and Regards, Ganesh Ganesh Loganathan wrote: > Dear TeX Experts, > > Really I proud of all the Experts. > > Kindly suggest me in Mik TeX itself any options to convert TeX to Doc > conversion with high quality of equations also. > > I expecting the positive answers from the Great Team. http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=fmtconv Hello, Tom Micevski <none@au-e29b6ec0.invalid> wrote: > Ganesh Loganathan wrote: > > Dear TeX Experts, > > > > Really I proud of all the Experts. > > > > Kindly suggest me in Mik TeX itself any options to convert TeX to Doc > > conversion with high quality of equations also. > > > > I expecting the positive answers from the Great Team. > > http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=fmtconv Thanks for this reply, but there is a more up to date list at http://tug.org/utilities/texconv/index.html But regarding what the original poster asked for -- "in Mik TeX itself..." -- there is only one solution, i.e.: use MikTeX installer to add the TeX4ht package, then call oolatex to convert LaTeX (not PlainTeX!) to an OpenOffice .sxw file . Open this file in OpenOffice or LibreOffice and save-as Microsoft Word d...

TeX / e-TeX disc groups ???
Hello, I found in eTeX manual that there exists disc groups (type number 10). I really don't see what they are... ;-( Any help ? On 10/21/2010 03:02 AM, GL wrote: > Hello, > > I found in eTeX manual that there exists disc groups (type number 10). These are active for a very short time while scanning the arguments of \discretionary. Best wishes, Taco ...

TeX/LaTeX Survey & a LaTeX/PDF Presentation Demo
I still have an ongoing TeX/LaTeX survey at http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dp=ADstory/eqExam/tex_survey.pdf If you are at all interested in sharing your TeX profile, please fill out the survey. See http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2005-2/story-survey/ for a summary of results to date. There is a restriction of two submittals per platform, in an attempt to avoid abuse of the suvey. Adobe Reader 5.0 or higher is required on Windows is required, and Reader 7.0 or higher for Mac and Linux is needed. -------------- I have also made available a demo file, in case you missed it, illustrating a new co...

TeX to PalmOS document?
I am looking at a reference document that currently is set up to build postscript files and I was wondering if anyone had worked out a way to turn .tex files into a format readable (and searchable) on a palm pilot or compatible. -- The Tenth Annual Tcl/Tk Conference <URL: http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2003 > Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions. <URL: mailto:lvirden@yahoo.com > <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ > In article <bfgk9c$bg1$1@srv38.cas.org>, lvirden@yahoo.c...

cygwin latex problem: latex.exe points to pdfetex.exe and not to tex.exe , why?
hi; I think my PC is possessed with some spirit that is playing tricks on me. 2 days ago I made complete new fresh installation of cygwin 1.5.18 (latest) which includes complete tex installation. I always select to install everything. now, when I run the command latex, it invokes pdfetex instead: ----------------------- $ which latex /usr/bin/latex $ ls -l /usr/bin/latex lrwxrwxrwx 1 win Users 11 Jul 11 23:33 /usr/bin/latex -> pdfetex.exe --------------------------- when I go to the earlier cygwin installation (I copied that to the side before), I see it was pointing to tex.exe instead: ----------------------- $ cd /cygdrive/c/cygwin.BAD/bin $ ls -l latex lrwxrwxrwx 1 win Users 7 Aug 6 2004 latex -> tex.exe ------------------------- The only problem I see now is that when build the .ps document, the fonts look really bad. (and it takes much longer to convert .tex to ..dvi) However, when I convert the .ps file to pdf using ps2pdf, the fonts in the pdf document looks good. This is how I currently build things $ cat build.sh latex mim latex mim dvips mim -o mim.ps ps2pdf mim.ps mim.pdf The file mim.ps contain bad looking fonts now (thet are not as sharp as before). My question is: why did latex installation decide to point latex command to pdfetex.exe when before it was pointing to tex.exe? I could actually forget about building the .PS file anyway, it is so much larger than the PDF file, and Iam not sure .PS is needed anyway since a .pdf file...

iPad and TeX/LaTeX
Hello all, After today's unveiling of the iPad, I was wondering if it will be possible in the future to have a full fledge TeX implementation for iPhone OS to run on iPad. For those who use Pages or similar products, there will be available tools to compose documents. For those of us who use TeX/LaTeX and will own an iPad, a complete TeX implementation can prove very helpful. From what I read, the CPU power should be more than enough. What are your thoughts on this subject? Has anyone tried to make TeX Live run on iPhone OS? Best, Hooman Javidnia On Jan 27, 8:50=A0pm, Hooman <hooman.javid...@gmail.com> wrote: > What are your thoughts on this subject? Has anyone tried to make TeX > Live run on iPhone OS? $ du -csh /usr/local/texlive/2008 1.9G /usr/local/texlive/2008 1.9G total I can't imagine wanting to burn 2GB of a maximum of 64 GB on TeX. Presumably, one wouldn't need all of TeX Live, but I suspect it would still be pretty large with a reasonable subset of TeX Live. -- Steve Checkoway On 2010-01-28 06:39:41 +0100, Steve Checkoway said: > On Jan 27, 8:50�pm, Hooman <hooman.javid...@gmail.com> wrote: >> What are your thoughts on this subject? Has anyone tried to make TeX >> Live run on iPhone OS? > > $ du -csh /usr/local/texlive/2008 > 1.9G /usr/local/texlive/2008 > 1.9G total > > I can't imagine wanting to burn 2GB of a maximum of 64 GB on TeX. > Presumably, one wouldn't need a...

TeX/LaTeX and Windows
I want to learn how to write my mathematical papers in LaTeX (and TeX?). I am using Windows. What sofrware do I need to get and where? A good tutorial/primer would be nice too. Thanks! /David > I want to learn how to write my mathematical papers in LaTeX (and TeX?). > I am using Windows. What sofrware do I need to get and where? Miktex is the best Latex distro for Windows >A good > tutorial/primer would be nice too. gogle: not so short introduction to latex > Thanks! > > /David > David Rasmussen wrote: > I want to learn how to write my mathematical paper...

Web resources about - Any documentation for TeX and LaTeX programming ? - comp.text.tex

GNU Free Documentation License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The GNU Free Documentation License ( GNU FDL or simply GFDL ) is a copyleft license for free documentation, designed by the Free Software Foundation ...

Facebook Tweaks Documentation For Developers
Facebook continued its focus on developers with its release Thursday of improved documentation for FQL and the software-development kits for ...

Making Our Documentation Better
Over the past several months, our engineering team has been working on improving the quality of our documentation. Today, we are excited to announce ...

Facebook shares new documentation for local currency pricing, sets migration for Q3
Facebook today provided updates regarding its transition from Credits to local currency pricing. The company offered new documentation for game ...

Emergent Documentation: One way that Agile is very different from Waterfall.
(from a 2012 email) One of the questions I always get around the use of Agile is, how do you do the documentation? Many people are very uncomfortable ...

BIMx Pro - Building Information Model eXplorer for complete project documentations on the App Store on ...
Get BIMx Pro - Building Information Model eXplorer for complete project documentations on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read ...

Documentation in Software Development
There is currently a trend to produce “just enough” documentation in software development. We should however not forgot that what we might estimate ...

The Documentation Dilemma
Back when 37signals was consulting, we gradually weaned ourselves off of documentation. It’s normal practice in the design world to produce lots ...

Apple publishes OS X Mavericks and iOS 7 Core Technologies Overview documentation
A new developer document posted to Apple’s website today details the technologies that power OS X Mavericks. The 36-page document includes information ...

Facebook Releases ThreatExchange API Documentation
... information about malware and other security threats, and the social network announced Friday that the application-programming-interface documentation ...