Apostrophe in Latex?

Is an apostrophe made in Latex by just using a single quote in the input?
For example: John's shoes.

Girish Sharma wrote:
> Is an apostrophe made in Latex by just using a single quote in the input?
> For example: John's shoes.

Yes.  Doesn't it work when you try it?  If not, then maybe your text
editor is inserting a "smart" (i.e., curly) quote instead of a straight
quote (ASCII character 39).

-- Scott

1
ctt (1173)
12/11/2004 2:35:10 AM
"Scott Pakin" <scott+ctt@pakin.org> wrote in message
> Girish Sharma wrote:
> > Is an apostrophe made in Latex by just using a single quote in the
input?
> > For example: John's shoes.
>
> Yes.  Doesn't it work when you try it?  If not, then maybe your text
> editor is inserting a "smart" (i.e., curly) quote instead of a straight
> quote (ASCII character 39).
>
> -- Scott

Yes, it works. But I noticed some code that entered math mode and used
superscript accent marks. I was wondering what the standard way to do it is.

Thanks.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Girish Sharma wrote:

> "Scott Pakin" <scott+ctt@pakin.org> wrote in message
>> Girish Sharma wrote:
>>> Is an apostrophe made in Latex by just using a single quote in the
>>> input?  For example: John's shoes.
>>
>> Yes.  Doesn't it work when you try it?
>
> Yes, it works. But I noticed some code that entered math mode and used
> superscript accent marks. I was wondering what the standard way to do
> it is.

   The "superscript accent mark" (straight, slightly diagonal tick) is
referred to in English as a "prime," as in "Take A-prime equal to A plus
one..."  It is generally the right thing, in mathematical text.
   If you really want an apostrophe glyph in math mode, try using package
'amsmath' and typing

   The expression $A'$ has a prime;
   the expression $A\text{'}$ has an apostrophe.

-Arthur
2
ajo (1603)

wrap text around text in latex
You do that by using a minipage environment, right? Gunnar G wrote: > You do that by using a minipage environment, right? I do it with the wrapfig package. Here's an example that I posted here once: \documentclass[a4paper]{article} \usepackage{wrapfig} \begin{document} Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some text about memory. Some te...

From LaTeX to TeX
Greetings! As I get more confident with LaTeX and strive to do more and more complex things (which I know are possible, after seeing), I seem to come across a lot of TeX commands. Is this supposed to happen? Shouldn't LaTeX wrap all of TeX's functionality? And if not, what's the proper way to include these commands? Since more people must have come across this stage, could someone point me to useful resources on LaTeX - TeX integration? Yours faithfully, Renato Serodio no_spam_rdrs@gmx.de, In a message on 19 Jan 2004 16:11:40 GMT, wrote : n> Greetings! n> n&...

text + text
What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? It doesn't seem very useful to me. What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text || text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL Server too, I think (CMIIW). -- dave ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 12:57 schrieb David Garamond: > What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? Nothing. > What a...

tex or latex?
I wish to learn tex. Can someone advise which is easier to learn and which is better - tex or latex? And where can I find a beginner's tutorial on any of these? Secondly, there are lots to tex and latex packages available. Which one do I need to install to use tex or latex? Regards, mowgli On May 20, 8:31 pm, mowgli <knowledgel...@gmail.com> wrote: > I wish to learn tex. Can someone advise which is easier to learn and > which is better - tex or latex? And where can I find a beginner's > tutorial on any of these? The "not so short guide to Latex" is a good ...

TeX/LaTeX Survey & a LaTeX/PDF Presentation Demo
I still have an ongoing TeX/LaTeX survey at http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dp=ADstory/eqExam/tex_survey.pdf If you are at all interested in sharing your TeX profile, please fill out the survey. See http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2005-2/story-survey/ for a summary of results to date. There is a restriction of two submittals per platform, in an attempt to avoid abuse of the suvey. Adobe Reader 5.0 or higher is required on Windows is required, and Reader 7.0 or higher for Mac and Linux is needed. -------------- I have also made available a demo file, in case you missed it, illustrating a new co...

text-text

Tex and LaTex
I am looking for BSD compatible versions of Tex/LaTex and the usual supporting programs/macros that support the typsetting languages. Knuth's homepage led me to CTAN and TUG, but the TexLive distribution seems to be for Linux. Is there a FreeBSD compatible version, and if so, where can I find it? Thanks -- Mark Perreault In article <bk8vqo$okt$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, Two Ravens wrote: > Mark Perreault wrote: >> I am looking for BSD compatible versions of Tex/LaTex and the usual >> supporting programs/macros that support the typsetting languag...

on tex and latex
Hi there. I have a question more strictly about latex, but the only group I found on my news server is alt.sex.fetish.latex. I've been reading the TeXbook, and I now I've been wondering why we have a latex executable in the distribution of latex. My distribution is pdfetex which seems to replace tex entirely. Reading the TeXbook, it seems that TeX, as designed in the book, seems powerful enough to allow abstractions written in pure TeX code. Apparently, there's something called e-TeX which pdfetex is a derivative, so I suppose there are extensions on the capabilities of Knuth...

Convert LaTeX or LaTeX output to MS Word without preserving text
A conference requires that I submit both a Word document and a PDF file in the same typographic format. I can easily convert to a messy Word document, so I tried that, but they want it to be formatted exactly like the PDF. How can I convert a LaTeX file, PDF, DVI, &c. to a vector image with no text and then assemble them in a Microsoft Word document? This is probably not what you want, but just in case... screen capture each pdf page to a jpeg, and insert each jpeg into a separate page in the word document. Thomas Levine <thomas.levine@gmail.com> writes: > A conference require...

cygwin latex problem: latex.exe points to pdfetex.exe and not to tex.exe , why?
hi; I think my PC is possessed with some spirit that is playing tricks on me. 2 days ago I made complete new fresh installation of cygwin 1.5.18 (latest) which includes complete tex installation. I always select to install everything. now, when I run the command latex, it invokes pdfetex instead: ----------------------- $ which latex /usr/bin/latex $ ls -l /usr/bin/latex lrwxrwxrwx 1 win Users 11 Jul 11 23:33 /usr/bin/latex -> pdfetex.exe --------------------------- when I go to the earlier cygwin installation (I copied that to the side before), I see it was pointing to tex.exe i...

how to show Latex text string on "static text" field in GUI?
hi folks, how to show Latex text such as "\sigma" symbol on the "static text" field in my GUI? thanks a lot, -Gino gino wrote: <Summary: He wants to display a sigma character in a static text box> I'm not sure you can, at least in R13. (R14 might be different.) Uicontrols such as static text boxes don't seem to support the Interpreter command to allow you specify whether whether characters are interpreted as Tex instructions or literally. In R13, uicontrols seem to interpret all characters literally. Bob Pownall gino wrote on 22 Jul 2004 03:15:...

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly i...

TeX (or LaTeX) under Linux
Hello. I would first like to thank you for reading my post. ---------------Hisory of the Question (FYI: not important to the quiestion)----------------- I have alwayse admired Linux (and UNIX) from afar, promising myself someday to have the time to learn it. I rescently got a job as a research assistant, where one of my primary duties was to get a grossly large software construct to run on a brand new fresh cluster (running linux of course), and also to program a large software package that would work with the output from this large construct. In doing so, I fell in love with linux, and now ...

A successor to TeX/Latex?
Hi all, I shall speak the heresy unto ye. I find TeX code (the programming part) almost unreadable, in part because I did not RTFM, but I never did because as useful as TeX/Latex are, I believe there is something inherently problematic in the design of TeX. But I must ask, has anyone here ever thought that same, that perhaps TeX is not well designed and perhaps there is need for developing an alternative to TeX wherein the programming part is more easy to digest? For instance, one could take a hint from PHP, which has textual sections and code sections completely separated rather than inte...

Web resources about - Apostrophe in Latex? - comp.text.tex

Apostrophe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... (as in P's and Q's , the late 1950's ). (This is considered incorrect by some; see Use in forming certain plurals . The use of the apostrophe ...

The Apostrophe Song
Get The Apostrophe Song on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Apostrophe Abuse
Explore Rich Anderson's photos on Flickr. Rich Anderson has uploaded 2158 photos to Flickr.

Do you use apostrophes properly?
Sadly, too many of us can't.

Who took the apostrophe out of Badgerys Creek?
As the seldom-visited corner of western Sydney firms as the proposed site of a second airport, something has to be done about Badgerys Creek. ...

Today in Apostrophe Abuse
(Via JMG reader Todd)

Photo of the Day: Apostrophe Hell
The photo above comes from Wordsmith.org , with the following comments from the website's founder Anu Garg: If there's an apostrophe hell this ...

Arkansas House to argue over apostrophes
LITTLE ROCK Call it Arkansas' apostrophe act or, as Rep. Steve Harrelson would have it, "Arkansas's apostrophe act." Harrelson filed a resolution ...

Why Wegmans Doesn't Have An Apostrophe In Its Name
Mystery solved! Most com panies named after a person or family have a possessive apostrophe signifying ownership. Look at Kohl's , Macy's , Dillard's ...