avoid self "contents" entry to appear in the table of contents (w/ memoir)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I'm trying to remove the entry in the toc for ... the toc itself.
Is it possible at all?

The (obvious) minimal example is as follows:

  \documentclass{memoir}
  \begin{document}
  \tableofcontents
  \chapter{Foo} some text
  \section{A} some text
  \chapter{Bar} some text
  \section{B} some text
  \end{document}

What I want to obtain is a table of contents where the entry showing
that "Contents" appear at page 1 is not in the toc at all.

I've checked various ways of customizing the toc (both memoir-specific
and whatnot), but I haven't thus far found any way of achieving that.
Am I missing something?

TIA,
Cheers.
0
Reply zack (2) 1/9/2010 4:13:50 PM

See related articles to this posting

Am Sat, 9 Jan 2010 08:13:50 -0800 (PST) schrieb zack@upsilon.cc:

> I'm trying to remove the entry in the toc for ... the toc itself.
> Is it possible at all?
>
> The (obvious) minimal example is as follows:
>
>   \documentclass{memoir}
>   \begin{document}
>   \tableofcontents
>   \chapter{Foo} some text
>   \section{A} some text
>   \chapter{Bar} some text
>   \section{B} some text
>   \end{document}
>
> What I want to obtain is a table of contents where the entry showing
> that "Contents" appear at page 1 is not in the toc at all.
>
> I've checked various ways of customizing the toc (both memoir-specific
> and whatnot), but I haven't thus far found any way of achieving that.
> Am I missing something?

Well you seemed not to have read the documentation, memman.pdf.
Searching for \tableofcontents the third hit was in chapter nine
"Contents lists" and gave:

"In memoir, unlike the standard classes, the unstarred versions add
their respective titles to the ToC. The starred versions act like
the standard classes� unstarred versions as they don�t add their
titles to the ToC"

--
Ulrike Fischer
0

"zack@upsilon.cc" <stefano.zacchiroli@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to remove the entry in the toc for ... the toc itself.
> Is it possible at all?
>
> The (obvious) minimal example is as follows:
>
>   \documentclass{memoir}

\KeepFromToc

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek@uni-freiburg.de>
0
Reply Heiko 1/9/2010 4:25:55 PM

On Jan 9, 5:21=A0pm, Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de> wrote:
> > I've checked various ways of customizing the toc (both memoir-specific
> > and whatnot), but I haven't thus far found any way of achieving that.
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Well you seemed not to have read the documentation, memman.pdf.
> Searching for \tableofcontents the third hit was in chapter nine
> "Contents lists" and gave:

Well, sorry, I've actually read that, but the wording was unclear to
me (because the first reference highlight the facts that it typeset
the toc where you invoke it), now that you point me at it again the
reading looks (more?) obvious. Since I actually had searched the man
(and the TUG UK FAQs) before asking, I didn't think it was too
bothersome to ask here.

Thanks for the hint.
0
Reply zack 1/9/2010 8:20:50 PM
comp.text.tex 36140 articles. 68 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

avoid self "contents" entry to appear in the table of contents (w/ memoir)
I'm trying to remove the entry in the toc for ... the toc itself. Is it possible at all? The (obvious) minimal example is as follows: \documentclass{memoir} \begin{document} \tableofcontents \chapter{Foo} some text \section{A} some text \chapter{Bar} some text \section{B} some text \end{document} What I want to obtain is a table of contents where the entry showing that "Contents" appear at page 1 is not in the toc at all. I've checked various ways of customizing the toc (both memoir-specific and whatnot), but I haven't thus far found ...

(memoir) Removing "Contents" entry on Table of Contents page
Hi, I am using memoir to write a book and am using one of the chapter page styles from CTAN designed for memoir. However, I just noticed that when I have \tableofcontents in my document, I get a page "Contents" as expected but I also get as first entry "Contents" which I do not like. I see no reason to have as first entry on the page "Contents" as being "Contents". How can I get rid of it? Is this expected behavior or perhaps I am doing something untoward? I would appreciate. Regards, Tariq Tariq <tariq.perwez@gmail.com> wrote: ...

Non-self-referential tables of contents in memoir
People, This looks like it should be a solved problem, but the solution escapes me. Using the memoir class, I wish to set up a rather complicated book with two tables of contents in the front matter: a Short Table of Contents and a Complete Table of Contents. It is easy to obtain a short table of contents that looks like this: Short Table of Contents.... Complete Table of Contents..... List of Figures..... List of Tables..... Introduction..... Chapter 1..... Chapter 2..... .. .. .. Appendix A..... Appendix B..... -and a complete table of contents that lists all of these items, and sectio...

"hanging paragraph" title entries in memoir table of contents?
Still working on getting my book to comply to my publisher's house style (using memoir class). In the table of contents, I have a lot of long chapter and section titles. The native behaviour of the memoir toc seems to be for long section titles to be printed as hanging paragraphs (second, third lines indented a little farther than the first). But for long chapter titles, lines 2, 3, etc., are flush left. How can I control this behaviour? I need the chapter titles to "hang" too, and to reduce the indentation of the "hang" in the section titles. I've tried to pu...

Table of contents not to appear in table of contents
Hi all, I have specified the \tableofcontents command at the end of my acknowledgments page. I want the acknowledgments page to be numbered in arabic, and the pages of the table of contents to also be in arabic. However, I don't want an entry for the table of contents in the table of contents. Can someone help? Thanks, Diana M. Diana wrote: > Hi all, > > I have specified the \tableofcontents command at the end of my > acknowledgments page. I want the acknowledgments page to be numbered > in arabic, and the pages of the table of contents to also be in > arabic. >...

memoir table of contents
Using the following source file, the roman numerals in the table of contents overlap with the part headings. Has this been fixed in a newer version of memoir than mine (v3.6j)? Either way, how could I fix this? I suspect I need to redefine \partnumberline, but I don't know how to do that. Thanks! \documentclass{memoir} \begin{document} \tableofcontents \part{one} \part{two} \part{three} \part{four} \part{five} \part{six} \part{seven} \part{eight} \end{document} Joris Pinkse wrote, On 2012-08-23 21:00: > Using the following source file, ...

Unumbered entries in table of contents
Hi, my school requires me to put some entries (like abstract and others) as unumbered entries in the table of contents. I used \section*{} so that my entries would appear without numbering in the text but I don't see anything in the table of contents. Could someone give me some tips? Are there any packages available or any sort of new command? Thank you in advance, Ivan Ivan Wagner wrote: > Hi, > > my school requires me to put some entries (like abstract and others) as > unumbered entries in the table of contents. I used \section*{} so that > my entries would appear...

Bibliographie to appear in Table of contents
Hi, I would like to appear the page number of the Bibliographie in the 'Contents'. (using \documentclass[...]{book} ). The contents should then look like : 12 This is one Chapter.........108 13 Conclusions.................120 Bibliographie..................135 Apparently, this is not supported in the book.cls. Has anybody an idea how to produce a table of contents like the above one ? Thanks, Dirk In article <40D18D65.2090408@ekt.tu-darmstadt.de>, Dirk Geyer <geyer@ekt.tu-darmstadt.de> writes: |> Hi, |> |> I would like to appear the page number of the...

avoid hyphenation in table of contents
Hi, what is the proper way to avoid hyphenation in the table of contents? I tried redefining \l@chapter such that it includes a \hyphenpenalty10000, but that causes "overfull hboxes" (the text sticks out over the page number) as LaTeX leaves the word on the first line while it should go on the next. Minimal example below. Thanks for any advice, best regards, -Hendri. --- \documentclass{book} \usepackage[margin=4cm]{geometry} % Not a proper solution %\makeatletter %\renewcommand*\l@chapter[2]{% % \ifnum \c@tocdepth >\m@ne % \addpenalty{-\@highpenalty}% % \vskip 1.0em...

Table of contents entries on the same line
Hi to everybody, I would like to have a table of contents where entries of a specific depth (subsection in my case) are not written on their own line, but consecutively on the same line, without page numbers, and maybe separated by a dot (or any other character). Something like this: 3.1 Section . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 31 subsection 1 . subsection 2 . subsection 3 . subsection 4 3.2 Another section . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36 I tried using minitoc and tocloft packages with no luck. Even modified their source to try to fit this scheme, but no results. It seems ...