avoid self "contents" entry to appear in the table of contents (w/ memoir)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I'm trying to remove the entry in the toc for ... the toc itself.
Is it possible at all?

The (obvious) minimal example is as follows:

  \documentclass{memoir}
  \begin{document}
  \tableofcontents
  \chapter{Foo} some text
  \section{A} some text
  \chapter{Bar} some text
  \section{B} some text
  \end{document}

What I want to obtain is a table of contents where the entry showing
that "Contents" appear at page 1 is not in the toc at all.

I've checked various ways of customizing the toc (both memoir-specific
and whatnot), but I haven't thus far found any way of achieving that.
Am I missing something?

TIA,
Cheers.
0
Reply zack (2) 1/9/2010 4:13:50 PM

See related articles to this posting

Am Sat, 9 Jan 2010 08:13:50 -0800 (PST) schrieb zack@upsilon.cc:

> I'm trying to remove the entry in the toc for ... the toc itself.
> Is it possible at all?
>
> The (obvious) minimal example is as follows:
>
>   \documentclass{memoir}
>   \begin{document}
>   \tableofcontents
>   \chapter{Foo} some text
>   \section{A} some text
>   \chapter{Bar} some text
>   \section{B} some text
>   \end{document}
>
> What I want to obtain is a table of contents where the entry showing
> that "Contents" appear at page 1 is not in the toc at all.
>
> I've checked various ways of customizing the toc (both memoir-specific
> and whatnot), but I haven't thus far found any way of achieving that.
> Am I missing something?

Well you seemed not to have read the documentation, memman.pdf.
Searching for \tableofcontents the third hit was in chapter nine
"Contents lists" and gave:

"In memoir, unlike the standard classes, the unstarred versions add
their respective titles to the ToC. The starred versions act like
the standard classes� unstarred versions as they don�t add their
titles to the ToC"

--
Ulrike Fischer
0

"zack@upsilon.cc" <stefano.zacchiroli@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to remove the entry in the toc for ... the toc itself.
> Is it possible at all?
>
> The (obvious) minimal example is as follows:
>
>   \documentclass{memoir}

\KeepFromToc

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek@uni-freiburg.de>
0
Reply Heiko 1/9/2010 4:25:55 PM

On Jan 9, 5:21=A0pm, Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de> wrote:
> > I've checked various ways of customizing the toc (both memoir-specific
> > and whatnot), but I haven't thus far found any way of achieving that.
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Well you seemed not to have read the documentation, memman.pdf.
> Searching for \tableofcontents the third hit was in chapter nine
> "Contents lists" and gave:

Well, sorry, I've actually read that, but the wording was unclear to
me (because the first reference highlight the facts that it typeset
the toc where you invoke it), now that you point me at it again the
reading looks (more?) obvious. Since I actually had searched the man
(and the TUG UK FAQs) before asking, I didn't think it was too
bothersome to ask here.

Thanks for the hint.
0
Reply zack 1/9/2010 8:20:50 PM
comp.text.tex 36758 articles. 71 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

avoid self "contents" entry to appear in the table of contents (w/ memoir)
I'm trying to remove the entry in the toc for ... the toc itself. Is it possible at all? The (obvious) minimal example is as follows: \documentclass{memoir} \begin{document} \tableofcontents \chapter{Foo} some text \section{A} some text \chapter{Bar} some text \section{B} some text \end{document} What I want to obtain is a table of contents where the entry showing that "Contents" appear at page 1 is not in the toc at all. I've checked various ways of customizing the toc (both memoir-specific and whatnot), but I haven't thus far found ...

(memoir) Removing "Contents" entry on Table of Contents page
Hi, I am using memoir to write a book and am using one of the chapter page styles from CTAN designed for memoir. However, I just noticed that when I have \tableofcontents in my document, I get a page "Contents" as expected but I also get as first entry "Contents" which I do not like. I see no reason to have as first entry on the page "Contents" as being "Contents". How can I get rid of it? Is this expected behavior or perhaps I am doing something untoward? I would appreciate. Regards, Tariq Tariq <tariq.perwez@gmail.com> wrote: ...

Non-self-referential tables of contents in memoir
People, This looks like it should be a solved problem, but the solution escapes me. Using the memoir class, I wish to set up a rather complicated book with two tables of contents in the front matter: a Short Table of Contents and a Complete Table of Contents. It is easy to obtain a short table of contents that looks like this: Short Table of Contents.... Complete Table of Contents..... List of Figures..... List of Tables..... Introduction..... Chapter 1..... Chapter 2..... .. .. .. Appendix A..... Appendix B..... -and a complete table of contents that lists all of these items, and sectio...

"hanging paragraph" title entries in memoir table of contents?
Still working on getting my book to comply to my publisher's house style (using memoir class). In the table of contents, I have a lot of long chapter and section titles. The native behaviour of the memoir toc seems to be for long section titles to be printed as hanging paragraphs (second, third lines indented a little farther than the first). But for long chapter titles, lines 2, 3, etc., are flush left. How can I control this behaviour? I need the chapter titles to "hang" too, and to reduce the indentation of the "hang" in the section titles. I've tried to pu...

Table of contents not to appear in table of contents
Hi all, I have specified the \tableofcontents command at the end of my acknowledgments page. I want the acknowledgments page to be numbered in arabic, and the pages of the table of contents to also be in arabic. However, I don't want an entry for the table of contents in the table of contents. Can someone help? Thanks, Diana M. Diana wrote: > Hi all, > > I have specified the \tableofcontents command at the end of my > acknowledgments page. I want the acknowledgments page to be numbered > in arabic, and the pages of the table of contents to also be in > arabic. >...

memoir table of contents
Using the following source file, the roman numerals in the table of contents overlap with the part headings. Has this been fixed in a newer version of memoir than mine (v3.6j)? Either way, how could I fix this? I suspect I need to redefine \partnumberline, but I don't know how to do that. Thanks! \documentclass{memoir} \begin{document} \tableofcontents \part{one} \part{two} \part{three} \part{four} \part{five} \part{six} \part{seven} \part{eight} \end{document} Joris Pinkse wrote, On 2012-08-23 21:00: > Using the following source file, ...

Unumbered entries in table of contents
Hi, my school requires me to put some entries (like abstract and others) as unumbered entries in the table of contents. I used \section*{} so that my entries would appear without numbering in the text but I don't see anything in the table of contents. Could someone give me some tips? Are there any packages available or any sort of new command? Thank you in advance, Ivan Ivan Wagner wrote: > Hi, > > my school requires me to put some entries (like abstract and others) as > unumbered entries in the table of contents. I used \section*{} so that > my entries would appear...

Bibliographie to appear in Table of contents
Hi, I would like to appear the page number of the Bibliographie in the 'Contents'. (using \documentclass[...]{book} ). The contents should then look like : 12 This is one Chapter.........108 13 Conclusions.................120 Bibliographie..................135 Apparently, this is not supported in the book.cls. Has anybody an idea how to produce a table of contents like the above one ? Thanks, Dirk In article <40D18D65.2090408@ekt.tu-darmstadt.de>, Dirk Geyer <geyer@ekt.tu-darmstadt.de> writes: |> Hi, |> |> I would like to appear the page number of the...

avoid hyphenation in table of contents
Hi, what is the proper way to avoid hyphenation in the table of contents? I tried redefining \l@chapter such that it includes a \hyphenpenalty10000, but that causes "overfull hboxes" (the text sticks out over the page number) as LaTeX leaves the word on the first line while it should go on the next. Minimal example below. Thanks for any advice, best regards, -Hendri. --- \documentclass{book} \usepackage[margin=4cm]{geometry} % Not a proper solution %\makeatletter %\renewcommand*\l@chapter[2]{% % \ifnum \c@tocdepth >\m@ne % \addpenalty{-\@highpenalty}% % \vskip 1.0em...

Table of contents entries on the same line
Hi to everybody, I would like to have a table of contents where entries of a specific depth (subsection in my case) are not written on their own line, but consecutively on the same line, without page numbers, and maybe separated by a dot (or any other character). Something like this: 3.1 Section . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 31 subsection 1 . subsection 2 . subsection 3 . subsection 4 3.2 Another section . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36 I tried using minitoc and tocloft packages with no luck. Even modified their source to try to fit this scheme, but no results. It seems ...

Altering the appearance of a table of contents
I'm creating a table of contents using the \tableofcontents command, but I need to add the word 'Page' above the column of page numbers on the right hand side. This is, to my mind, unnecessary, but my university's graduate school is inflexible w.r.t. dissertation formatting. Thanks for your help -- Keir keirhardie@gmail.com writes: > I'm creating a table of contents using the \tableofcontents command, > but I need to add the word 'Page' above the column of page numbers on > the right hand side. This is, to my mind, unnecessary, but my > university...

hyperref + memoir table of contents problem
I'm using the memoir class and some of my table of contents entries take up multiple entries. When I use \usepackage[dvips]{hyperref} the table of contents entries do not wrap and instead extend off the page to the right. Is there a workaround? Thanks, -- David J. Grant http://www.davidgrant.ca:81 DG wrote: > I'm using the memoir class and some of my table of contents entries take > up multiple entries. When I use \usepackage[dvips]{hyperref} the table > of contents entries do not wrap and instead extend off the page to the > right. Is there a workaround? Thi...

Memoir: table of contents in normal font
I don't want the bold font in the table of contents. I guess it's possible with the memoir class, isn't it? Thank you On Friday, 15 August 2014 23:38:57 UTC-4, giuseppe....@gmail.com wrote: > I don't want the bold font in the table of contents. I guess it's possible with the memoir class, isn't it? > it is indeed possible, despite the rather vague nature of your request. 'vanilla' memoir puts a few things in bold, i think. but look especially at the commands: \cftKfont \cftKpagefont where the 'K' stands for things like 'pa...

LaTeX: Table of contents entry with no page number
I am putting together a document (using the article class) that has several unnumbered subsections at the end which will have no page numbers. (The end matter is several journal articles, and I am using the subsection headings to create an entry in the table of contents for each article.) I am having trouble with the table of contents entries. I figured out how to add entries to the table of contents for these subsections (which also do not have subsection numbers), and I figured out that I can edit the .toc file to remove the page numbers for the subsections in question. But editing out the ...

memoir: location of page numbers, table of contents
hello, i am using the memoir class and my toc is mor than one page long. on the first page of the toc the page number appears in the bottom's middle, whereas on the following pages it is on the top's left. how can i make the page numbers always be located on the top's left? christoph does nobody really have a clue how to solve this problem? i highly appreciate any help. ciao, christoph Christoph wrote: > hello, > > i am using the memoir class and my toc is mor than one page long. on > the first page of the toc the page number appears in the bottom's > midd...

[memoir] Misaligned Roman-numbered pages in the Table of Contents
I'm using memoir for a book and the copyeditor pointed out that the Roman-numbered pages are not right-aligned with the rest. Here's what the TOC looks like: http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://erdani.com/tmp/toc.pdf I'm doing nothing fancy in the TOC, the relevant lines are: \setcounter{tocdepth}{2} % Print the chapter and sections to the toc \tableofcontents* How can I fix the alignment such that the Roman-numbered pages are right-aligned with all others? Thank you, Andrei Andrei Alexandrescu wrote: > I'm using memoir for a book and the ...

How to make bibliography appear as "References" in the table of contents?
The thebibliography environment produces a bibliography or reference list. In the article style, this reference list is labeled "References"; in the report style, it is labeled "Bibliography". I want to make the report style to display "References", how do I do that? macrossian wrote: > The thebibliography environment produces a bibliography or reference > list. In the article style, this reference list is labeled > "References"; in the report style, it is labeled "Bibliography". I want > to make the report style to display "...

Getting "References" to appear correctly in the table of contents.
I thought this was the standard way to put the references list in the TOC. \documentclass[11pt,british,a4paper]{article} \usepackage[square,numbers,sort,colon]{natbib} .... \begin{document} \selectlanguage{british} \maketitle \tableofcontents .... \bibliographystyle{plainnat} \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{References} \bibliography{annotation} \end{document} Unfortunately at present the TOC shows "References . . . 5" although the "References" header appears at the top of page 6. What's the correct way to do this? (I don't want to put a \clearpage in.) Adam F...

newb: help w eplain table of contents features (using plain TeX)
Hello again, I'm struggling with the eplain features for generating tables of content and I'm hoping someone here can help. The problem I have is the generated parts of the title are not expanded before being written to the table of contents file resulting in incomplete/incorrect titles in the table of contents. (The titles are incomplete/incorrect because the macros used to generate the title have been redefined by the time the file containing the table of contents is input.) I've searched this group's archives for a solution but none seems to be available (or my ...

Can memoir add table of contents for each chapter or one needs to use minitoc
Memoir with its \setcounter{tocdepth}{} command can print multiple ables of contents of different depths. However I want also for each division of depth {0} (Chapter) or may be I will change my mind to {-1} print table of contents of the depth {1} (or may be {4} [so I am asking about user configurability as well] Can it be done in frames of memoir or one needs to invoke minitoc? Is any conflict known? How it can be done? Preferably with commands in the preamble or just at the beginning of the document Thank you in advance. Victor In article <a5b7fe5b-b8a0-4c67-adc1-5c2a513f14be@l42...

How to delete level 2 toc entry for Table of Contents in SAS v9.2
Dear All, I am starting to use SAS v9.2. But I find that the Table of Contents created in v9.2 are different than v9.1 There is an extra level 2 toc entry in the Table of Contents now. I know that I can use VBScript to delete those entries in word files. But I want to do it in SAS way. Anyone know how to remove the level 2 toc entry in SAS v9.2? 1. VBScript Code: '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''...

Need to list Table of Contents IN table of contents
Hi, I'm finishing off my thesis but have just found out that I need to list in the table of contents the table of contents, list of tables and list of figures. Does any one know how I can get these included in the TOC without adding in the lines manualy? A quick response would be very gratefuly received as I am meant to be submitting in a few days!!! Oh, forgot to mention - I've tried to search the discussion boards already on this with no luck gap736uk wrote: > Hi, I'm finishing off my thesis but have just found out that I need to > list in the table of contents the ta...

Table of Contents vs. Contents
Hi all, I have a problem with the thesis I am currently working on: My professor wants the title of the Table of Contents to be "Table of Contents", but the default title is "Contents" and I don't know how to change it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx Daniel 27 wrz 06 (�roda), 14:29 (GMT +1), comp.text.tex napisa�: > I have a problem with the thesis I am currently working on: My > professor wants the title of the Table of Contents to be "Table of > Contents", but the default title is "Contents" and I don't know how to &g...

Fixing a Table of Contents Menu, when contents Scroll
I wish to create a standard 3 column CSS page, but my centre contents column is quite long. I have included Anchor Name Tags in the long column and provided a navigation / Table of contents in the left column. Is it possible to have the Table of contents displayed, regardless of the scroll position of the page. I would like a similar requirement for the right column, which will have other information. This I hope will provide, access to all parts of the website, from any current view of the page. I hope I have explained this correctly and someone may be able to point me to ...

Changing "Contents" into "Table of Contents" using tocloft package
Hi, I searched the archive for an example on using tocloft package to change the Heading "Contents" into "Table of Contents" but did not find much info. All the stuff I found were related to changing spacings, etc. I looked through the docs but I think I did not make much use of it. Any help would be appreciated, Fawzi Sdudah On Aug 3, 9:16 pm, Fawzi Sdudah <fawzi.sdu...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I searched the archive for an example on using tocloft package to > change the Heading "Contents" into "Table of Contents" but did not...