bad quality images in PDF

Hi all,

I'm new to Tex...  I'm writing my thesis and I need to insert images.

At first, I got the original snaphots in jpg format, then I converted
them in .eps with the jpeg2ps utility, and I inserted in my document
using

 \includegraphics[width=13cm]{immagini/architecture_overview.eps}

It's OK, the images are correctly put and shown in to my DVI document.

When I convert my DVI file into PDF format (the final document must be
in PDF format),
the images look so bad (there is a great loss of quality).

How can I insert images without losing quality in the final PDF? What
is the best starting format to use (in my case is jpg, but I can choose
another one if needed), what is the utility I can use to convert them e
what is the TeX code to insert them ? I need some special packages?

thank you all!

mv

If you use pdfLaTeX rathern than LaTeX, you can use your original jpgs, and
eliminate the middle step of dvi->pdf.

0
s4076855 (3)
4/24/2006 11:05:50 AM
"maiVassallo" <matteo.formica@gmail.com> wrote:

> At first, I got the original snaphots in jpg format, then I converted
> them in .eps with the jpeg2ps utility, and I inserted in my document
> using

JPEG is not the best format for screen shots. Better is a lossless
format such as PNG.

>  \includegraphics[width=13cm]{immagini/architecture_overview.eps}

PNG can be used directly with pdfTeX or TeX/dvipdfm/ebb, otherwise
it can be converted to EPS.

> When I convert my DVI file into PDF format (the final document must be
> in PDF format),
> the images look so bad (there is a great loss of quality).

dvips just copies the EPS file, ps2pdf in its default setting (see
ghostscript's docu Ps2pdf.htm) does not downsample the image.
The problem is rather the poor resolution of the original
screen shot. Try to improve this resolution (larger window with larger
screen font size, ...). Also you can play with AR's options. Perhaps
there is some setting that looks better.

> How can I insert images without losing quality in the final PDF?

Don't use JPEG.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek@uni-freiburg.de>
0
oberdiek (2376)
4/24/2006 11:23:14 AM
and how can I include the jpg images in my code?

I try to iclude a jpeg file:

\includegraphics[width=13cm]{immagini/architecture_overview.jpg}

and I get some errors

File 'immagini/architecture_overview.bb' not found

and

Cannote determine size of graphic in immagini/architecture_overview.bb
(no boundingBox)

what do I have to do?

maiVassallo wrote:
> and how can I include the jpg images in my code?
>
> I try to iclude a jpeg file:
>
> \includegraphics[width=13cm]{immagini/architecture_overview.jpg}
>
> and I get some errors
>
> File 'immagini/architecture_overview.bb' not found
>
> and
>
> Cannote determine size of graphic in immagini/architecture_overview.bb
> (no boundingBox)
>
> what do I have to do?

run pdflatex not latex

and remove the 'dvipdfm' option from graohicx

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
Superb Class:   http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/memoir.html
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/    (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal working examples.
0
daleif2 (2648)
4/24/2006 11:51:47 AM
Lars Madsen wrote:
> maiVassallo wrote:
>
>> and how can I include the jpg images in my code?
>>
>> I try to iclude a jpeg file:
>>
>> \includegraphics[width=13cm]{immagini/architecture_overview.jpg}
>>
>> and I get some errors
>>
>> File 'immagini/architecture_overview.bb' not found
>>
>> and
>>
>> Cannote determine size of graphic in immagini/architecture_overview.bb
>> (no boundingBox)
>>
>> what do I have to do?
>>

> run pdflatex not latex
>
> and remove the 'dvipdfm' option from graohicx

should have been graphicx

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
Superb Class:   http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/memoir.html
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/    (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal working examples.
0
daleif2 (2648)
4/24/2006 11:52:08 AM
> dvips just copies the EPS file, ps2pdf in its default setting (see
> ghostscript's docu Ps2pdf.htm) does not downsample the image.
> The problem is rather the poor resolution of the original
> screen shot. Try to improve this resolution (larger window with larger
> screen font size, ...). Also you can play with AR's options. Perhaps
> there is some setting that looks better.

As far as I can tell, this is only partially true.  While downsampling
of the image is not done by default, ps2pdf _does_ compress bitmap
images by default.  It looks like this behavior has been modified in
more recent versions of ps2pdf:

(From Ps2pdf.htm in Debian Sarge:)
(note 1) AutoFilterxxxImages doesn't examine the image to decide between
JPEG and LZW or Flate compression: it uses JPEG compression if the image
has 8 bits per component and does not use an Indexed color space, and
LZW or Flate compression otherwise.

(From Ps2pdf.htm in Debian Unstable:)
(note 1) Currently, AutoFilterxxxImages doesn't examine the image to
decide between JPEG and LZW or Flate compression: it always uses Flate
compression. If you want to force JPEG compression, use
-dAutoFilterxxxImages=false.

It was the old behavior (for example, in Debian Sarge) that always gave
me problems.  I'd feed a nice clean bitmap into ps2pdf, and it would
always come up with JPEG compression artifacts.  I'm glad the default
behavior has been changed, but if the original poster is using an older
version of ps2pdf, then the old default behavior may be the cause of the
problems (or course using jpg images for screen shots can never help).
I usually use ps2pdf with the options given below to fix this problem on
older distributions.

ps2pdf -dAutoFilterColorImages=false -dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode

Scott Thatcher
0
thatcher (28)
4/24/2006 2:16:53 PM
Heiko Oberdiek schrieb:

> PNG can be used directly with pdfTeX or TeX/dvipdfm/ebb, otherwise
> it can be converted to EPS.

To use PNGs with pdflatex one can run

png2pdf -p 1.4 -n screenshot.png screenshot.pdf

and use the PDF file in the LaTeX source.
The -n option inserts an interpolation flag to screenshot.pdf,
AR does an image interpolation when showing the image. Sometimes
this improves rendering quality on screen.
See http://png2pdf.sourceforge.net/png2pdf.pdf page 15 for
an example.
Hope this helps.

Dirk

--
Dipl.-Ing. Dirk Krause
http://www.fh-schmalkalden.de/url.php?/page/1026/select_wert/3023
maiVassallo wrote:

> At first, I got the original snaphots in jpg format, then I converted them
> in .eps with the jpeg2ps utility, and I inserted in my document using
[..]
> When I convert my DVI file into PDF format (the final document must be in
> PDF format), the images look so bad (there is a great loss of quality).

Try to use higher resolution in the conversion .jpg -> .eps, e.g. using
ImageMagick's convert.

Andres Kuusk
Tartu Observatory, Estonia

Dirk Krause wrote:
> Heiko Oberdiek schrieb:
>
> > PNG can be used directly with pdfTeX or TeX/dvipdfm/ebb, otherwise
> > it can be converted to EPS.
>
> To use PNGs with pdflatex one can run
>
> png2pdf -p 1.4 -n screenshot.png screenshot.pdf
>
> and use the PDF file in the LaTeX source.

Why not simply use the PNG in the LaTeX source directly? I can't see
any benefits gained by the conversion to PDF.

Will

0
wspr81 (1208)
4/26/2006 1:55:54 PM
Just use sam2p to convert your raster graphic to EPS/PDF.  I've found
that sam2p does a much better job with the conversion than ImageMagick
or pretty much any other converter.  I think it's so good that I setup
a web interface to perform the conversion:

http://www.tlhiv.org/rast2vec/

Remember if you're using LaTeX, then you need the EPS.  If you're using
PDFLaTeX, you need the PDF version.  If your graphic is foo.jpg (or
foo.png), then the converter will give you a foo.eps and/or foo.pdf.
Within your document use

\usepackage{graphicx}

in the preamble and then

\includegraphics{foo}

in the document.  Notice that the filename extension was not specified.
 This is because LaTeX is smart enough to use .eps and PDFLaTeX is
smart enough to use .pdf without having to specify them.

Troy Henderson
Assistant Professor
Department of Mathematical Sciences
252 Thayer Hall
United States Military Academy
West Point, NY  10996
(845) 938-5649
http://www.tlhiv.org

0
thenders (206)

quality of DVI to VGA convertor
Hello, I would like to buy a DVI to VGA (D-SUB 15 pins) convertor for the connection between my videocard and monitor. The videocard has only got a DVI output, and the monitor has only got a VGA input. I wondered if there is much difference in quality between convertors of different brands or price? It would be a pity to lose quality, because I bought a new videocard to improve the 2D quality in the first place (Matrox Millenium P650). It's a bulk version though, so no convertors are supplied. Does anybody know which brand of convertor provides good quality? Thanks in advance! K...

Using IMAGE DBX intrinsics (Sample COBOL code required)
Hi, We are looking at implementing transactinality in our COBOL programs while interfacing with TurboImage database. We found that DBX intrisics DBXBEGIN, DBXUNDO & DBXEND) are useful. But, there is no material available giving sample implementation in the form of COBOL code. I would appreciate if I get some sample COBOL programs using these intrinsics and interfacing with IMAGE database. Currently, we'r using some sample code and it it giving some problem with the definition of the input parameters to these intrinsics. Are there any known issues/limitations with the usage...

image reading #2
function [T ] = read_image( path_fn ) % get files for a given path L = list_files ( path_fn ); % initialize the empty return values % start counting with class index 1 % for each file ... for i=1:length(L) subject = L {i};% it will create a cell name folder and it is content addressing % ... get files in this subdir image = list_files1(path_fn , filesep , subject); end %filesep seperate the 2 directories path_fn and subject.two matrix is created 1st is path_fn and 2nd is subject. % ... ignore a file or empty folder T = []; for i = 1 : length(image) str = int2str(i) s...

How to determine trap in PDF
Hi there, I am currently preparing some documents for print using QuarkXPress 6.5 on a Mac 10.3.9 machine. Before sending the PDFs to the printer I'd like to be sure that I have chosen the correct settings for trapping. However if I print from Quark as composite to a PS file and distill that PS file using the Acrobat distiller I can see no bleeds in the PDF (which seems obvious to me since the composite PS code can contain no trapping information). If I print from Quark colors seperated distiller won't let me distill it using PDF/X3. If I distill it using Standard I get a sing...

Audio podcast optimization: decreasing bit rate preserving high quality
Audio Compression Optimization: MP3, AAC, OGG This paper will give you understanding on how one can achieve better compression ratio by bit rate optimization. The key point is that our approach describes a fully automated manner of choosing the bit rate that will preserve the audio quality you define. Read this paper through and find out how to save on size when encoding your podcasts, save on bandwidth when transmitting your audio streams in the network, make more audio tracks fit your memory stick when grabbed from a CD, or store more audio books on your mobile device. This paper will tell ...

U.S. patent images and "jfx" format?
The website of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office <http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html> is not the friendliest site on the web, especially for Mac users who want to download patent images. In general, if I locate a specific patent, click on the Images link for that patent, and select an individual page, it sometimes seems as if it can take forever for the image to actually appear. By trial and error, however, I've discovered that once I'm on the Images page for a given patent and have picked a specific page (using Netscape 7 in my case), I can chose "Save As...

MEPIS: not bad, not bad at all!
I'm a longtime PCLinuxOS user but decided to take a look at MEPIS because, like Ubuntu, I've read some extremely strong pros and cons about the distro. After downloading and burning SimplyMEPIS_3.4-3.rc3, I noticed that (in my case anyhow) running it from the CD is extremely slow, in contrast to PCLOS, which is nearly as fast running from CD as it is from hard disk. No matter, I was going after a hard disk install anyhow, so I clicked the "install" icon on my MEPIS desktop. Read a book while the installation did its thing, then set up a default user. Reboot. MEPIS isn'...

Add A Logo Image Using ExcelXP Tagset
Hi All: I've asked this question to various groups (and SAS) and gotten a negative answer each time (but I refuse to give up!). I would like to add a logo (.GIF or .JPG) to a spreadsheet that I create using the ExcelXP tagset. The tagset creates an .XML file and I know that the actual image can't be imbedded in it. Why can't I have the logo as an external reference similar to what I would do with a HTML document? I currently add titles and other content by putting XML tags in the SAS Titles, which works great. I would rather have a solution that I can implement from the SAS c...

How to shrink image files?
I need to shrink some images for a web page. What software should I use? On 2004-05-03, No Spam <nospam@all.please.net> wrote: > > I need to shrink some images for a web page. What software > should I use? > Try hot a water wash followed by a warm dry Not very specific are you. ken "Kenneth" <Kenneth@pickone.anyone> wrote in message news:slrnc9bbe9.vm0.Kenneth@localhost.localdomain... > On 2004-05-03, No Spam <nospam@all.please.net> wrote: > > > > I need to shrink some images for a web page. What software > > should I use? ...

Omega Constellation Double Eagle Watches: Quality Omega Discount Watches
Omega Constellation Double Eagle Watches: Quality Omega Discount Watches Quality Omega Constellation Double Eagle Watches http://omega-watches.pxhelp.com/omega-constellation-double-eagle.html Thank you for choosing http://www.pxhelp.com/ Discount Omega Watches http://omega-watches.pxhelp.com/ We guarantee our Omega Constellation Double Eagle Watches and Omega Constellation Double Eagle Luxury Watches aren't just a simple imitation. We use the same fine materials and technology that the original does. Each Omega Constellation Double Eagle Watch produced is examined carefully by our qual...

Embed ICC Profile in Image
Hello. I am reading an ICC color profile that is embedded in an image using iccread from the Image Processing Toolbox. I then open the image with imread and do some manipulation. Lastly I write the new image back to disk as a TIFF using imwrite. My question is how do I write the image and embed the ICC profile? iccwrite will write an ICC profile file, but does not embed it in an image. imwrite does not appear to have an option to embed an ICC profile. Have I missed something? What are my options? I simply want my manipulated file to have the same ICC profile embedded as the original file...

Apples superior quality
in the short term: iMac overheat problems macBook overheat problems macBook random shutdowns macBook battery fires macBook case cracks laptop hinge breaks defective iPod video screens defective iPod cases viruses shipped with iPod I never hear about quality issues of this magnitude, with the other computer makers. In article <lg11h.38694$Zn1.35476@bignews2.bellsouth.net>, "zara" <zspook@visionnet.net> wrote: > in the short term: > iMac overheat problems > macBook overheat problems > macBook random shutdowns > macBook battery fires > macBook case cr...

Image Resize Help
Help, please! I'm a novice user of PSP7. I have a large batch of images, all the same size, that needs converting to a smaller size, once again all the same size. I tried the batch conversion tool - it let me compress them but not resize them. Is there anyway to batch or automate the resizing process in PSP7? If not, any other good (cheap?) application you'd recommend? Thanks for your help. "Oscar" <oc404@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message news:iJSwe.58529$wR6.877638@twister.southeast.rr.com... > Help, please! I'm a novice user of PSP7. I have a large ...

Mirror image help
I just acquired a PowerMac G4 desktop from work. I have been using a PC for graphic design needs and pleaded with our software guys to give me one of their macs. I set the computer up and to my dismay the computer does not boot and has OS 9.2 installed. Unfortunately Mac's are not maintained here and I seem to be on my own. I run a MacBook Pro laptop at home. I am wondering if there is a safe and easy way I can duplicate my hard drive onto this computer. I seem to recall there is an option under preferences to do this. I have an external hard drive (250 Gb) at my disposal and a usb ...

monitor going bad??
I have a 20" Dell CRT that is about 3 years old, has been a great high end display until recently. I am running a Radeon 9600 AGP card in a Dell Dimension 8200, 2 Ghz Pentium 4, 1 Gb RAM, everything has been great until about 3 months ago, I noticed faint diagonal lines running from upper right down to lower left, about 2" apart. I have tried changing refresh rates, screen resolutions, everything, and nothing seems to make it go away. These lines even appear when the machine is first booted up, when the very first images appear, before any kind of video drivers are loaded. Does t...

Firefox does not recognize background image
Page construction in progress: http://www.sdisplay.info/test/ Firefox does not recognize background image referred to on styles.css IE sees it with no problem. What is the problem? Thanx, Sonny sonnystarks <sign.up.email@comcast.net> wrote: > Page construction in progress: > > http://www.sdisplay.info/test/ > > Firefox does not recognize background image referred to on styles.css > IE sees it with no problem. And no one without access to your E: drive will see it, regardless of the browser they're using. -- Darin McGrew, mcgrew@stanf...

More bad news for fanbois
T-Mobile adds to the ranks of no-contract carriers. No more subsidies for t= he iPhone, exposing its real cost. As one who just went no-contract, I can = also tell you that paying up front for a phone makes you think twice about = paying the full cost again just for an upgrade. Less churning =3D longer us= eful phone life =3D lower sales growth for phone makers. Apple's subsidies for its phone business model are disappearing as more peo= ple get wise to the contract tie-in rip-off. Watch for high end iPhone sale= s growth to slow in the next few years, and more affordable options ...

Examples of high-quality python code?
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to python - I actually picked it up to see how quickly I could start building non-trivial apps with it. Needless to say, I was quite pleased. Anyhow, I'm looking to expand my understanding of python, and I feel that one of the best ways to do that is looking at other peoples code. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I grok the python mindset quite well enough to fully distinguish between awesome, average, and not-pythony code, so I was hoping some of the more experienced python people could point me to some (preferably FOSS) non-trivial apps written...

end of line problems when downloading PostScript (PDF) file
Hi I have a file on a server that I can download just fine with a web browser. But when I download it with a Perl script, I get weird end of line codes, which mess up the PDF file. For example, all 0D 0A end of line pairs get received as 0D 0D 0A . Any ideas how to get the file received correctly?> Thanks, grg "Ancient_Hacker" <grg2@comcast.net> wrote: >Hi I have a file on a server that I can download just fine with a web >browser. But when I download it with a Perl script, I get weird end of >line codes, which mess up the PDF file. > >For exam...

resize a bad patch out of a partition?
I have a partition with a problem history and a strategy (to resize the bad portion out of the partition). I'd like to know if the strategy is sensible or a waste of time. It's a FAT32 partition in hda1 used by linux and windows on a dual boot machine. linux boots from hda2, while Windows lives in hdb1. Windows used to live in hda1 but I kept losing it (boot up to blue screen in the morning). So I converted hda1 to a shared data partition. Yesterday windows could boot but couldn't read hda1. linux could do so but was slow to do so and threw this error: hda: dma_intr: ...

Copy an image in a dialog to clipboard
Hi, Hi, I am creating a dialog based application in MFC and trying to copy an image present in a bitmap dlg item rectangle to clipboard. I am encountering a problem when used the following source code. When only this application is executed then it copies the correct image. But when this application runs in background and any other application(say MS Word) is opened on top of this, a region of MS Word is copied into clipboard instead of the image from the dialog. But My aim is to copy the image only from the dialog , even though it runs in back ground. This is the segmen...

Eigen values and eigen vector of image.
I want to know how to find or detect a corner of an image by using eigenvalues and eigenvecotr .It can be detected by Applying a specific threshold to that image in matlab. ...

Imaging crystal structures
Guys, An easy one (I hope...) How do I get a 3D image DNA or a crystal structure? IE I give matlab a set of ion core locations (x,y,z coordinates) and it draws a sphere (or similar motif) at each location. Advanced things, like lines between adjacent ion cores in the same crystalline layer, would be useful. I can work out how to draw a single sphere in 3D, or a plot of the average of a load of spheres (ie no breaks between adjacent spheres) but nothing with localised cores. Cheers Ian ...

Crossposting -- Good / Bad ?
Some participants in Usenet complain when a posting is simultaneously posted to more than one newsgroup. Others have no objection. Others feel that the proper etiquette is, if appropriate, to multi-post. I'm curious as to how much one's personal opinion is a reflection of the newsreader they happen to be using. Some newsreaders allow a single subscription to span multiple newsgroups and will show only a single instance when somethng has been crossposted. Some newsreaders don't allow a single subscription to span multiple newsgroups and will show, possibly with repetition as...

bad ldev 1
The first sign of trouble was Tuesday last week, but we didn't realize how bad it was until Thurday. Check your calendars -- 9/11 and the 13th. What could possibly go wrong? All is well now, including recovery of the data it ate when the problem first appeared. If that seems like a long time to recover, I spent about half my time on other projects in between. Also, I had to restore some files twice because the Thursday problem was that we couldn't read the files I restored Wednesday from an older backup tape to recover the data that was missing Tuesday. The missing dat...