bad quality images in PDF

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi all,

I'm new to Tex...  I'm writing my thesis and I need to insert images.

At first, I got the original snaphots in jpg format, then I converted
them in .eps with the jpeg2ps utility, and I inserted in my document
using

 \includegraphics[width=13cm]{immagini/architecture_overview.eps}

It's OK, the images are correctly put and shown in to my DVI document.

When I convert my DVI file into PDF format (the final document must be
in PDF format),
the images look so bad (there is a great loss of quality).

How can I insert images without losing quality in the final PDF? What
is the best starting format to use (in my case is jpg, but I can choose
another one if needed), what is the utility I can use to convert them e
what is the TeX code to insert them ? I need some special packages?

thank you all!

mv

0
Reply matteo.formica (4) 4/24/2006 10:45:52 AM

See related articles to this posting

If you use pdfLaTeX rathern than LaTeX, you can use your original jpgs, and
eliminate the middle step of dvi->pdf.

0
Reply s4076855 (3) 4/24/2006 11:05:50 AM

"maiVassallo" <matteo.formica@gmail.com> wrote:

> At first, I got the original snaphots in jpg format, then I converted
> them in .eps with the jpeg2ps utility, and I inserted in my document
> using

JPEG is not the best format for screen shots. Better is a lossless
format such as PNG.

>  \includegraphics[width=13cm]{immagini/architecture_overview.eps}

PNG can be used directly with pdfTeX or TeX/dvipdfm/ebb, otherwise
it can be converted to EPS.

> When I convert my DVI file into PDF format (the final document must be
> in PDF format),
> the images look so bad (there is a great loss of quality).

dvips just copies the EPS file, ps2pdf in its default setting (see
ghostscript's docu Ps2pdf.htm) does not downsample the image.
The problem is rather the poor resolution of the original
screen shot. Try to improve this resolution (larger window with larger
screen font size, ...). Also you can play with AR's options. Perhaps
there is some setting that looks better.

> How can I insert images without losing quality in the final PDF?

Don't use JPEG.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek@uni-freiburg.de>
0
Reply oberdiek (2376) 4/24/2006 11:23:14 AM

and how can I include the jpg images in my code?

I try to iclude a jpeg file:

\includegraphics[width=13cm]{immagini/architecture_overview.jpg}

and I get some errors

File 'immagini/architecture_overview.bb' not found

and

Cannote determine size of graphic in immagini/architecture_overview.bb
(no boundingBox)

what do I have to do?

0
Reply matteo.formica (4) 4/24/2006 11:31:24 AM

maiVassallo wrote:
> and how can I include the jpg images in my code?
>
> I try to iclude a jpeg file:
>
> \includegraphics[width=13cm]{immagini/architecture_overview.jpg}
>
> and I get some errors
>
> File 'immagini/architecture_overview.bb' not found
>
> and
>
> Cannote determine size of graphic in immagini/architecture_overview.bb
> (no boundingBox)
>
> what do I have to do?

run pdflatex not latex

and remove the 'dvipdfm' option from graohicx

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
Superb Class:   http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/memoir.html
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/    (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal working examples.
0
Reply daleif2 (2648) 4/24/2006 11:51:47 AM

Lars Madsen wrote:
> maiVassallo wrote:
>
>> and how can I include the jpg images in my code?
>>
>> I try to iclude a jpeg file:
>>
>> \includegraphics[width=13cm]{immagini/architecture_overview.jpg}
>>
>> and I get some errors
>>
>> File 'immagini/architecture_overview.bb' not found
>>
>> and
>>
>> Cannote determine size of graphic in immagini/architecture_overview.bb
>> (no boundingBox)
>>
>> what do I have to do?
>>

> run pdflatex not latex
>
> and remove the 'dvipdfm' option from graohicx

should have been graphicx

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
Superb Class:   http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/memoir.html
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/    (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal working examples.
0
Reply daleif2 (2648) 4/24/2006 11:52:08 AM

> dvips just copies the EPS file, ps2pdf in its default setting (see
> ghostscript's docu Ps2pdf.htm) does not downsample the image.
> The problem is rather the poor resolution of the original
> screen shot. Try to improve this resolution (larger window with larger
> screen font size, ...). Also you can play with AR's options. Perhaps
> there is some setting that looks better.

As far as I can tell, this is only partially true.  While downsampling
of the image is not done by default, ps2pdf _does_ compress bitmap
images by default.  It looks like this behavior has been modified in
more recent versions of ps2pdf:

(From Ps2pdf.htm in Debian Sarge:)
(note 1) AutoFilterxxxImages doesn't examine the image to decide between
JPEG and LZW or Flate compression: it uses JPEG compression if the image
has 8 bits per component and does not use an Indexed color space, and
LZW or Flate compression otherwise.

(From Ps2pdf.htm in Debian Unstable:)
(note 1) Currently, AutoFilterxxxImages doesn't examine the image to
decide between JPEG and LZW or Flate compression: it always uses Flate
compression. If you want to force JPEG compression, use
-dAutoFilterxxxImages=false.

It was the old behavior (for example, in Debian Sarge) that always gave
me problems.  I'd feed a nice clean bitmap into ps2pdf, and it would
always come up with JPEG compression artifacts.  I'm glad the default
behavior has been changed, but if the original poster is using an older
version of ps2pdf, then the old default behavior may be the cause of the
problems (or course using jpg images for screen shots can never help).
I usually use ps2pdf with the options given below to fix this problem on
older distributions.

ps2pdf -dAutoFilterColorImages=false -dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode

Scott Thatcher
0
Reply thatcher (28) 4/24/2006 2:16:53 PM

Heiko Oberdiek schrieb:

> PNG can be used directly with pdfTeX or TeX/dvipdfm/ebb, otherwise
> it can be converted to EPS.

To use PNGs with pdflatex one can run

png2pdf -p 1.4 -n screenshot.png screenshot.pdf

and use the PDF file in the LaTeX source.
The -n option inserts an interpolation flag to screenshot.pdf,
AR does an image interpolation when showing the image. Sometimes
this improves rendering quality on screen.
See http://png2pdf.sourceforge.net/png2pdf.pdf page 15 for
an example.
Hope this helps.

Dirk

--
Dipl.-Ing. Dirk Krause
http://www.fh-schmalkalden.de/url.php?/page/1026/select_wert/3023

maiVassallo wrote:

> At first, I got the original snaphots in jpg format, then I converted them
> in .eps with the jpeg2ps utility, and I inserted in my document using
[..]
> When I convert my DVI file into PDF format (the final document must be in
> PDF format), the images look so bad (there is a great loss of quality).

Try to use higher resolution in the conversion .jpg -> .eps, e.g. using
ImageMagick's convert.

Andres Kuusk
Tartu Observatory, Estonia

0
Reply andres7199 (2) 4/26/2006 6:16:05 AM

Dirk Krause wrote:
> Heiko Oberdiek schrieb:
>
> > PNG can be used directly with pdfTeX or TeX/dvipdfm/ebb, otherwise
> > it can be converted to EPS.
>
> To use PNGs with pdflatex one can run
>
> png2pdf -p 1.4 -n screenshot.png screenshot.pdf
>
> and use the PDF file in the LaTeX source.

Why not simply use the PNG in the LaTeX source directly? I can't see
any benefits gained by the conversion to PDF.

Will

0
Reply wspr81 (1208) 4/26/2006 1:55:54 PM

Just use sam2p to convert your raster graphic to EPS/PDF.  I've found
that sam2p does a much better job with the conversion than ImageMagick
or pretty much any other converter.  I think it's so good that I setup
a web interface to perform the conversion:

http://www.tlhiv.org/rast2vec/

Remember if you're using LaTeX, then you need the EPS.  If you're using
PDFLaTeX, you need the PDF version.  If your graphic is foo.jpg (or
foo.png), then the converter will give you a foo.eps and/or foo.pdf.
Within your document use

\usepackage{graphicx}

in the preamble and then

\includegraphics{foo}

in the document.  Notice that the filename extension was not specified.
 This is because LaTeX is smart enough to use .eps and PDFLaTeX is
smart enough to use .pdf without having to specify them.

Troy Henderson
Assistant Professor
Department of Mathematical Sciences
252 Thayer Hall
United States Military Academy
West Point, NY  10996
(845) 938-5649
http://www.tlhiv.org

0
Reply thenders (206) 4/29/2006 1:47:08 PM
comp.text.tex 36438 articles. 68 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

save as pdf, image quality
hi, in fmp8.5 I can save as pdf, but the image quality is poor (very heavily compressed jpeg) how can I change this? it makes my logo look rubbish. Tim oops, double post, I thought the first post had failed to display. ...

save as pdf image quality
hi, I like the save as pdf option in v8.5, but the images are hugely compressed and look very grainy. I can't seem to find an option to adjust this jpg compression. have I missed something? any tips? thanks Tim Citizen10Bears@gmail.com wrote: > I like the save as pdf option in v8.5, but the images are hugely > compressed and look very grainy. I can't seem to find an option to > adjust this jpg compression. > any tips? (vesion 8) I found that if images are of a different size than set within a box in your lay-out, images shall be resized to fit. What you see can b...

Image quality converting from Word to PDF
Hi, I have a report that is currently a Word document and I want to convert it to a PDF. The issue I'm running into is that the images are losing a considerable amount of quality when I use the Acrobat Distiller to convert to a PDF document. Does anyone know how to preserve quality of images (and text, etc.) when performing such a conversion? Any help would be greatly appreciated! As a side note, are there any tools out there for easily creating PDF's from scratch? Adobe Acrobat doesn't seem to be easy to use for creating layout. Thanks... Pete petetrimble@gmail.com (Pete) ...

Concerned about quality of images in end pdf
I create a pdf document via (.tex + eps files) -> dvi -> ps -> pdf using LaTeX, dvips, and distiller /ghostview. The eps files themselves are lossless right, like png (ie converting an image to eps results in no loss of quality, right)? I sometimes scaled the image in the tex file via eg. \includegraphics[width = \myBigGraphicWidth, keepaspectratio=true] I tell distiller/ghostview not to downsample images, as best I can see possible. Can I expect there to be no quality loss from the original eps files in the final pdf document despite the multi step process? If I used pdfLatex...

Converting Word to PDF -- Image quality
I have tried many online and downloadable converters, trying to convert http://www.orbisoft.com/products/taskmanager/2005/usermanual/files/manual.doc to PDF format. The latest I have used is http://www.primopdf.com The thing is that the images appear 'perfect' in Word but in PDF they are fuzzy. Any ideas? TIA Mark "Mark 123" <none@none.com> wrote: >I have tried many online and downloadable converters, trying to convert >http://www.orbisoft.com/products/taskmanager/2005/usermanual/files/manual.doc >to PDF format. > >The latest I have used is http:/...

Extract graphics from pdf and print: bad quality
I have a pdf file which was generated from a scanner. I really need the graphics and therefore used pdfimages (Linux) to get the graphics as pbm files. These were larges than my A4 page: 2480x3507. I then used Imagemagick's convert tool to get a normal 595x841 bitmap graphic, but the quality was bad, almost not readable. (I tried a lot of options, all possible filters, trying to resize with 25% which naively should be "perfect" and so on. But no...) However, when looking at the original pdf file in, say, xpdf, it is very good. Printing is perfect. So the big question is: ...

Printing Figure with uicontrols to PDF (bad quality)
We are currently working on figure which combines uicontrols and axes (plots). We like to print the complete figure, including uicontrols, to PDF. Like with plots, that shouldn't be a problem using 'print(h, '-dpdf', filename)', but the quality of the uicontrols (and especially the fonts) are really bad! We tried to use different fonts, with no results. We tried different resolutions, with no results. We tried -djpeg, -dpng, -depsc2 and all are giving the same result. Only -dmeta (EMF) and -dbmp are giving satisfying results, but converting those to PDF is quite hard for ...

pstoepsi produces bad quality in PDF's
Hi, I've created a doc which uses the new ps2epsi converter. Now the print out quality is what I would expect, but the actual on screen quality is crap (it's a bitmap rather than vector). Is there a way to get decent quality from this utility or a way to force LaTeX to use the vector version? I've created my image using sodipodi and then printed to a PS file, then converted using ps2epsi. Another thing, I never had this problem with ps2eps. Thanks, Luke. "Luke A. Guest" wrote: > I've created a doc which uses the new ps2epsi converter. Now the > print ou...

Bad quality of output postscript files in pdf format
Hello, I am just a beginner user of Octave. I had some script which I runn in Octave but the quality of graphioch is quieed low. It seams that the the tool is ploting the graphs at half areas pages making the graphs not clear. A part of script which I run if is below --------. Is there any command which can improve the quality of the graphs ? thank you in advance Kind Regards, Dashamir -------- % set plotting parameters based on number of devices ncol = length(head)-2; ndat = length(time); nplot = 5; nfig = ceil(ncol/nplot); % Get daily missing data...

pdf: good quality, ps: bad, back to ps: good again Why?
Dear all, I scanned a text document and the resulting pdf is of high quality (visible in acroread). If I print it to a file, the resulting ps looks bad (both in gv as well in xdvi if included into a LaTeX document). After translating the ps back in to a pdf, it looks good again (as if it would never have been changed). Why does the ps look so bad? And why is the result of pdf->ps->pdf good again? How can I produce a ps that looks as good as the pdf? Thank you, Uli -- Ulrich Scholz d @ h s l . e 4 t i p a n t --- http://thispla.net Scholz Ulrich <d4@thispla.net> wrot...

HP 5470c, Precisionscan Pro 3.1, and Saving to .PDF image quality problem
I have been trying to scan documents into .pdf files and maintain good quality. I have discovered if I print the document to a .pdf file, the quality is good. But doing it this way, I can only do one page at a time. If I "Save to PDF", I can scan more than one page into the document, but the quality is worse that a bad fax. I appears I do not have an option to set the quality when the image is saved in such a way. If anyone knows how to change this in Precisionscan Pro 3.1, please let me know. For now, if I want better quality, I will have to print each page to a ...

H E L P Quark to PDF Image quality S U C K S ! ! !
When I print from Quark to Acrobat through the distiller to make a PDF the image quality is v e r y p o o r. If I do the same thing and have the same setting on other applications, (Photoshop, Printshop Mail), the image quality is very clear. What is the deal with Quark, that makes pdf's so poor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am printing a high res tiff image using a pc with Quark 5.01 and Acrobat 6. I have tried this on three different machines. kevindowns@hotmail.com (KDowns) wrote in news:93a6d807.0401211145.cfa6bbd@posting.google.com: > When I print from Quark t...

PDF Searchable Image(Exact): is that a PDF with an image overlay?
Hi, Acrobat Capture 3 does (among others formats) output to: PDF Searchable Image(Exact). Is that the same like "PDF with an image overlay" or/and "image with hidden text" ? Thank`s for any tip! John ...

Image PDF to Searchable PDF
Hello, Is there any way to convert an image only PDF to a searchable PDF without going through a scanner? In other words, are there software that can do this task directly on the computer? Or, does using OCR software merely mean running the image PDF file through the software and produce a searchable PDF? What reliable softwares are available? Are there programs that run independently? That is, without needing full Acrobat or aome other adjunct software? Thanks, Guru gururajan20815@yahoo.com (Gururajan Ramachandran) wrote in message news:<f72691a.0311200601.27406ab7@posting.google.co...

VeryPDF PDF To Image Converter v2.0
For Immediate Release Contact: support@verypdf.com http://www.verypdf.com/ http://www.verypdf.com/pdf2tif/index.htm VeryPDF PDF To Image Converter v2.0 - Convert Adobe PDF file to Image Formats PDF To Image Converter Introduction (Document) PDF To Image Converter is an application program based on Windows platform, which can directly convert PDF files to dozens of image formats, such as TIF, TIFF, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, EMF, PCX, TGA and so on, it does support whole PDF file to image file conversion, include text, line, arc, ellipse, Bezier, color, image, form and other type elements. PD...

Image registration/averaging and image quality
1) In the ideal case the registration and averaging of, for instance 150 individual 8bit noisy images will improve SNR by log10(n x 256), and the dynamic range from ~2.4 to ~4.6. However, when aligning low SNR images, the match is not always perfect (or rather, it is almost never perfect). Under such circumstances how does one model the change in SNR. 2) Is there a better metric to characterize the improvement in resolving power, or resolution, when registering and averaging multiple frames Thanks! Piotr wrote: > 1) In the ideal case the registration and averaging of, for instance >...

Convert PDF image to PDF text
Hi, I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? Thanx You will have to scan it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then create a PDF file. -- Don Vancouver, USA <WhiteLen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193737890.691267.165820@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the > text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? > > Thanx > Any recommendation for OCR application? ...

Image registration/averaging and image quality
1) In the ideal case the registration and averaging of, for instance 150 individual 8bit noisy images will improve SNR by log10(n x 256), and the dynamic range from ~2.4 to ~4.6. However, when aligning low SNR images, the match is not always perfect (or rather, it is almost never perfect). Under such circumstances how does one model the change in SNR. 2) Is there a better metric to characterize the improvement in resolving power, or resolution, when registering and averaging multiple frames Thanks! > 1) In the ideal case the registration and averaging of, for instance > 150 individua...

Image registration/averaging and image quality
1) In the ideal case the registration and averaging of, for instance 150 individual 8bit noisy images will improve SNR by log10(n x 256), and the dynamic range from ~2.4 to ~4.6. However, when aligning low SNR images, the match is not always perfect (or rather, it is almost never perfect). Under such circumstances how does one model the change in SNR. 2) Is there a better metric to characterize the improvement in resolving power, or resolution, when registering and averaging multiple frames Thanks! > 1) In the ideal case the registration and averaging of, for instance > 150 individua...

latex/pdf --> pdf of images
How do you convert a LaTeX file into a pdf file that treats each page, including the text, as one big image instead of text and images? Sort of like what you get if you scan a printed version of the file and save it in a pdf file. Also, the same question for an arbitrary pdf file not necessarily produced by LaTeX. Thanks! Eric Dong "cgkm" <cgkm@hotmail.com> writes: >How do you convert a LaTeX file into a pdf file that treats each page, >including the text, as one big image instead of text and images? Sort of >like what you get if you scan a printed version of ...

How to quantify the image quality from 3 sample images below
Dear MATLAB users, I have 3 sample images derived from an original RGB image. 1) Image 1 = R / (R+G+B) http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m466/blakeex/Picture2.png 2) Image 2 = G / (R+G+B) http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m466/blakeex/Picture3.png 3) Image 3 = B / (R+G+B) http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m466/blakeex/Picture4.png How can I quantify the image quality from three images? What are the formulas or built-in MATLAB functions to calculate the SNR and contrast of those images? Thank you. ...

scanned image pdf to searchable text pdf
We have a lot of pdf files that are just scanned images of documents. How easy is it to change these into pdf's that we can search for specific words. I believe Adobe Acrobat Capture will do this when the document is originally scanned, but can it use pdf's that have already been created. If it can, can this process be automated to convert 100s of pdf files? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Acrobat Capture as it is not cheap for a large number of documents? I am new to this, so please keep it simple. Thanks for any help. Adrian HI, As you indicated, your pdf's are ...

PDF Image Thumbnails and online PDF reader
Hello, are there any free resources for converting a PDF file to images. I have to create the first page thumbnail of many pdf files. I'm not allowed to install software on the server, so solutions like ImageMagik are excluded. And the second question - a need to display the pdf file from a site in a way similar to google books (say pdf online reader). This question if obviously linked with the first one. Thank you ! In article <eaf81b5d-4808-4674-9e3c-b413265006e1@d17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, Eugen COCA <ecoca@eed.usv.ro> wrote: >Hello, > >are the...

inserting image into another image at diff qualities
Hi, if i have a jpeg image (Quality-Q1) - i extract a part of the jpeg image, and compress it to a particular quality Q0=40 - insert it back into the original image in the same location and then compress the whole image into another quality Q2=60 -subtract the new image at Q2-original image at Q1 i am not able to use direct matrix substituion:X(100:100,100:100)=y(100:100,100:100), it doesn't work, i tried using 2 different images to check clear load spine %X=im_resize(X,256,256); x = uint8((X-1)*4); %x=original image imwrite(x,'spineQ0.jpg','quality',40); %origi...