Beamer: math characters in text

Hi,

as scientist I often use Greek letters in a non-mathematical context,
e.g., $\alphaup$-subunit (using the kp-fonts, but $\alpha$ gives the
same problem). Then alpha is in math-color, rather than text-color.

Of course one could change mathcolor, but that would also affect the
display of math proper. It would also not work in other contexts, say,
in \frametile.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Engelbert

Am Samstag, den 13.08.2011, 09:05 -0400 schrieb Dr Engelbert Buxbaum:=20
> Hi,
>=20
> as scientist I often use Greek letters in a non-mathematical context,=20
> e.g., $\alphaup$-subunit (using the kp-fonts, but $\alpha$ gives the=20
> same problem). Then alpha is in math-color, rather than text-color.=20
>=20
> Of course one could change mathcolor, but that would also affect the=20
> display of math proper. It would also not work in other contexts, say,=
=20
> in \frametile.
>=20
> Any suggestions?
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
> Engelbert

Search for "textalpha" plus "LaTeX"
http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX-Kompendium:_Sonderzeichen: Im Herbst
2010 ist das Paket textgreek auf CTAN erschienen. Es stellt im normalen
Text \textalpha sowie alle anderen Griechischen Zeichen bereit (auch
Gro=C3=9Fbuchstaben, \textPi), wechseln in den Mathemodus ist nicht
notwendig.

I did not test that.

Bernhard

On 2011-08-13, Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote:

> as scientist I often use Greek letters in a non-mathematical context,
> e.g., $\alphaup$-subunit (using the kp-fonts, but $\alpha$ gives the
> same problem). Then alpha is in math-color, rather than text-color.

> Of course one could change mathcolor, but that would also affect the
> display of math proper. It would also not work in other contexts, say,
> in \frametile.

> Any suggestions?

Use the "LGR" text font encoding, or set the text language to greek with
babel? Unfortunately, while the KP Fonts have Greek letters (for math),
they do not support Greek text in LGR encoding.
You might set up a replacement (e.g. with the "substitutefont" package).

Günter

0
milde (155)
8/19/2011 2:33:08 PM
In article <1313338184.9294.3.camel@bkamd2000>, bernhard.kleine@gmx.net
says...

> Search for "textalpha" plus "LaTeX"
> http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX-Kompendium:_Sonderzeichen: Im Herbst
> 2010 ist das Paket textgreek auf CTAN erschienen. Es stellt im normalen
> Text \textalpha sowie alle anderen Griechischen Zeichen bereit (auch
> Gro�buchstaben, \textPi), wechseln in den Mathemodus ist nicht
> notwendig.
>
> I did not test that.

that works, thanks. The standard cbgreek font doesn't fit well with the
kpfonts, but euler is acceptable.

text + text

text-text

Pages

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter...

text 2 text

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

spacing between text embedded math characters
Dear all, I'm a beginner. I have the following lines in my preamble \thinmuskip=2mu \medmuskip=2.5mu plus 1mu minus 1mu \thickmuskip=4mu plus 1.5mu minus 1mu However, this does not have any affect on spacing between math characters that are embeded in the actual text. Is it possble to adjust the spacing between math characters that are embedded in the text, so that it is consistent with above spacing for displayed math characters? Thanks in advance for any help. On 01 Apr 2004 15:07:30 GMT, WN789 <wn789@aol.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I'm a beginner. > >...

Colon character in body text causes no body text in the received email
If one or more colon (":") characters are present in the body of my text message, no body text is present in the received email. Do I need to escape colon characters? If so, how, and are there other special characters that need to be escaped? I am having the same problem... Anyone ?? P.S. If you look in the mail message headers, you will see the content of your mail message. What can we do to allow a colon character as part of the email body??? P-Dub: Been using sendmail -t for years, and never noticed until now... Mark wrote: > If one or more colon (":") charac...

using TeX characters in a GUI text box
I am trying to use a TeX character such as the Greek letter mu in a GUI textbox, but I cannot get this to work. If I try to set the 'string' property for the GUI object using '\mu' this just displays '\mu'. Is there a way I can use the 'text' command as you would for a figure to put Greek letters into GUI objects? "Sean Larkin" <slarkin71278@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <gk37he$t7$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Is there a way I can put Greek letters into GUI objects? I don't know for sure, but you might be able to do this using ...

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

(La)TeX math -> fixed width text
Hello ctt, I was playing around with Unicode and I made a HTML page with some mathematical expressions using fixed-width characters: http://wiki.auf-trag.de/textmath.html Is there a program that would make something like that automatically from LaTeX math code? (I know it's ugly, I'm just asking out of curiosity) Regards, Stephan Stephan Walter wrote: > Hello ctt, > > I was playing around with Unicode and I made a HTML page with some > mathematical expressions using fixed-width characters: > > http://wiki.auf-trag.de/textmath.html > > Is there a prog...

raw text, source text?
I have two people who write me using Gmail and the format of the emails I get is bad. It has capital �'s all over the place. I can't tell the pattern. At the end of most llines and other places. It can't send an apostrophe correctly. Instead it looks like �tm And something it sends looks like ·� � � � � � �, Maybe this is just more A's but what it looks like in my email is some Germanic R with a big dot next and 6 tiny �'s that look like the surf coming in. Once a month ago the email from one sender came in looking good, but he told me...

Text Color in Copied Text
I use Mathematica for all my class notes, and occasionally copy things from code editors that use color to highlight different constructs. In an earlier version (probably 5.2) the color highlighting copied over when I pasted it into a Text cell, but now this doesn't happen - all b/w. I don't see any way around this. Any ideas? Thanks, Kevin ...

aligning text and image-text
I use a program to make Email addresses harder for spammers to harvest. It converts them to slightly blurred images using http://mindprod.com/products1.html#MASKER When I embed them in text, I have figured out how to get them to align naturally with the surrounding text, but the browser inserts extra inter-line spacing above the line containing the image. You can see the effect at http://mindprod.com/book/books.html at the bottom of the page where it says: "Please email your feedback for publication, letters to the editor, errors, omissions, typos, formatting errors, ambig...

text in a widget, text-widget
hello i have an application with a couple of text widgets but i would like to add some functionalities that at first and second sight are not directly supported by the plain text widget itself - ? for example i would like certain lines of text within the textwidget to take different background colors according to certain parameters also i would like to be able to detect certain sentences or words that would become 'links' and by clicking them i would open up different windows any suggestions to solutions and widgets for the above problems ? - i probably could...

Fit text in a Text Box
Hello friends, I have a curious doubt, imagine I have a text box, and inside, a text that I dont know the lenght. Depending on the box's size and letter's size, I can fit the box. But the box's size is fixed, so I just can modify the size's letter. How can I be right with letter's size, if I dont know the lenght of string (text)? Is there any simple function for this case? Thanks in advance, greetings. Pedro Moreno On 10-08-31 04:25 PM, pedro moreno wrote: > I have a curious doubt, imagine I have a text box, and inside, a text > that I dont know the lenght. Depe...

Text disappearing from text fields...
Hello, I'm currently working with a MySQL backend and is trying to use FileMaker 9's Web Form capabilities as a front end. From FileMaker Pro's interface, I have used the ODBC to connect my FileMaker database to my MySQL tables. The schema and existing data records loads into FileMaker without a problem. However, when I'm trying to insert text (VARCHAR and TEXT) data from FileMaker, it blanks out and ends up only inserting a blank into MySQL. Default values set on the MySQL side only take effect if I left that field blank on FileMaker when I create a new record. Default field...

Highlight text in text box
I want to highlight any existing text, in a text box, when I click on it, like when I Tab into the text box. I can't find anything in the help. Any help is appreciated ShyGuy You can use selstart and sellength properties of a textbox in order to select any existing text. In order to select the whole text of textbox01, use, me.textbox01.selstart=0 me.textbox01.sellength=len(nz(me.textbox01)) Regards, Ramesh ShyGuy <shyguy@shytown.com> wrote in message news:<44nhi0d9qnsvdru1lu5l0d3ncuvuqsi39p@4ax.com>... > I want to highlight any existing text, in a text box, when I click on > it, like when I Tab into the text box. I can't find anything in the > help. > > Any help is appreciated > > ShyGuy I tried to send this twice and couldn't figure out why it wasn't showing up. The I checked and realized that it was going to your email address. Don't know why.. anyway... Thank you very much. That works great with my text box. I tried it with a combo box but it didn't work. I tried adding SelText but it still didn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ShyGuy On 23 Aug 2004 01:39:41 -0700, bhandaritwo@yahoo.com (Ramesh Kumar Bhandari) wrote: >You can use selstart and sellength properties of a textbox in order to >select any existing text. In order to select the whole text of >textbox01, use, >me.textbox01.selstart=0 >me.textbox01.sellength=l...

Text filtering in a text field
Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a text field in my form that is only to be with text, not any of the symbols (i.e. ~!@#$%^&* and so on). When the user input and saved the fields, those characters won't be allowed to be saved. What will be the best way to filter out only text? Only numbers? Terence <terrylau77@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and > filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a > text f...

program to display text files with imbedded TeX Math expressions.
I am reading a mailing list. Some of the messages contain embedded TeX math expressions (escaped with $). The messages themselves are not valid TeX or LaTeX; they do not have the proper headers. Are there programs to properly display these math expressions? -- Paul Elliott 1(512)837-1096 pelliott@io.com PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J http://www.io.com/~pelliott/pme/ Austin TX 78758-3117 Under Plain TeX you dont need any headers. Just an ending \bye. On NeXTstep you could use TeXview.app's TeX eq -> eps Service to convert them inlin...

Text in images to a text file
Hello, Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up on a web site but as text. Darren <bobblebob@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151612491.407262.124690@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com > Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in > images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend > to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up > on a web site but as text....

rich text in text field

Web resources about - Beamer: math characters in text - comp.text.tex

List of Killzone characters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cpl. Dante Garza is a loyal, optimistic and likable character- an effective team player. A close companion of Sev, the pair have served together ...

Google trials optical character recognition for Now on Tap
... ins and outs of its Google Now on Tap feature. A number of users have begun noting that the software is now capable of performing optical character ...

‘Better Call Saul’ may soon feature familiar characters from ‘Breaking Bad’
Positioned as a prequel to Breaking Bad , a show with one of the more fervent fan bases you'll ever encounter, the debut of Better Call Saul ...

Netflix's 'Daredevil' season-2 teaser shows off new characters and gear to get fans excited
The second season of "Daredevil" brings new characters and new costumes. Daredevil's new garb was shown at the end of the first season, but ...

Leslie Jones defends her ‘streetwise’ Ghostbuster character after criticism
... – one of the best current cast members of SNL – plays an MTA employee-turned-Ghostbuster, and the trailer seems to emphasize that Jones’ character ...

Trump’s Greatness — Is It Worth Losing The Good Character Of The American People?
If this be the fruit of Demagogue Donald’s promise of greatness, what greatness will come of the triumph of his self-idolizing ambition?

'Bates Motel' Season 4: Vera Farmiga Teases New 'Influential' Character In Norma's Life
"Bates Motel" will introduce a new character in season 4 that will eventually become an "influential" figure in Norma's (Vera Farmiga) life. ...

Check out the Dark Souls III intro and character creator
... Destructoid are rolling out footage of the English version of Dark Souls III on PS4 , and today's footage is of the intro cutscene and character ...

EXCLUSIVE: 'Divergent Series: Allegiant' Cast Dishes on the Film's 'Bad Ass' Female Characters
During an exclusive roundtable discussion with ET, the ladies of The Divergent Series: Allegiant explored the strong but 'messy' characters they ...

How 'The Division' Tells A Great Story Without Any Characters
The Division may lack memorable characters or a great script, but it is a storytelling triumph when you view New York City itself as the protagonist. ...