biblatex: Too Many Commas in Name

Howsagoin,

After changing my BibTeX file, I now get errors of the form
 Too many commas in name 2 of "Carlisle, D.\,P. and Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q."
for entry graphicx.
The offending entry reads as follows:
@Manual{graphicx,
    author = {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
              Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
    title  = {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
    year   = {1999},
}

When I changed the \, commands to \thinspace the error was gone. I'm
not sure if this is a bug, but I'd like to know if and what I was
doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Marc van Dongen
0
dongen (455)

Marc van Dongen wrote, On 2011-05-12 11:46:
> Howsagoin,
>

> After changing my BibTeX file, I now get errors of the form
>  Too many commas in name 2 of "Carlisle, D.\,P. and Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q."
> for entry graphicx.
> The offending entry reads as follows:
> @Manual{graphicx,
>     author = {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
>               Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
>     title  = {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
>     year   = {1999},
> }
>
> When I changed the \, commands to \thinspace the error was gone. I'm
> not sure if this is a bug, but I'd like to know if and what I was
> doing wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Regards,
>

> Marc van Dongen

have you tried with {\,} instead? comma is special in bibtex and I do
not think it test to see if it is escaped.

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

Memoir and mh bundle maintainer
LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/  (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html
0
daleif1329 (544)
5/12/2011 9:52:07 AM
Marc van Dongen <dongen@cs.ucc.ie> writes:

> After changing my BibTeX file, I now get errors of the form
>  Too many commas in name 2 of "Carlisle, D.\,P. and Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q."
> for entry graphicx.
> The offending entry reads as follows:
> @Manual{graphicx,
>     author = {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
>               Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
>     title  = {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
>     year   = {1999},
> }

as an aside, note that seb's surname is "rahtz".  (i hate parents who
make jokes in the allocation of their children's names -- or as in this
case, initials....)
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
my address is @cl.cam.ac.uk, regardless of the header.  sorry about that.
Robin Fairbairns wrote, On 2011-05-12 12:01:
> Marc van Dongen <dongen@cs.ucc.ie> writes:
>
>> After changing my BibTeX file, I now get errors of the form
>>  Too many commas in name 2 of "Carlisle, D.\,P. and Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q."
>> for entry graphicx.
>> The offending entry reads as follows:
>> @Manual{graphicx,
>>     author = {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
>>               Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
>>     title  = {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
>>     year   = {1999},
>> }
>
> as an aside, note that seb's surname is "rahtz".  (i hate parents who
> make jokes in the allocation of their children's names -- or as in this
> case, initials....)

is there a joke hidden here?

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

Memoir and mh bundle maintainer
LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/  (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html
0
daleif1329 (544)
5/12/2011 10:03:06 AM
Lars Madsen <daleif@RTFMSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> writes:

> Robin Fairbairns wrote, On 2011-05-12 12:01:
>> Marc van Dongen <dongen@cs.ucc.ie> writes:
>>
>>> After changing my BibTeX file, I now get errors of the form
>>>  Too many commas in name 2 of "Carlisle, D.\,P. and Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q."
>>> for entry graphicx.
>>> The offending entry reads as follows:
>>> @Manual{graphicx,
>>>     author = {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
>>>               Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
>>>     title  = {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
>>>     year   = {1999},
>>> }
>>
>> as an aside, note that seb's surname is "rahtz".  (i hate parents who
>> make jokes in the allocation of their children's names -- or as in this
>> case, initials....)
>
> is there a joke hidden here?

Look at the initials of Rahtz' name.

--
Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail.
0
Philipp Stephani wrote, On 2011-05-12 12:40:
> Lars Madsen <daleif@RTFMSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> writes:
>
>> Robin Fairbairns wrote, On 2011-05-12 12:01:

>>> as an aside, note that seb's surname is "rahtz".  (i hate parents who
>>> make jokes in the allocation of their children's names -- or as in this
>>> case, initials....)
>> is there a joke hidden here?
>
> Look at the initials of Rahtz' name.

SPQR?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPQR

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

Memoir and mh bundle maintainer
LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/  (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html
0
daleif1329 (544)
5/12/2011 10:51:23 AM
On May 12, 11:01=A0am, Robin Fairbairns <r...@sxp10.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Marc van Dongen <don...@cs.ucc.ie> writes:

> > @Manual{graphicx,
> > =A0 =A0 author =3D {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
> > =A0 =A0 title =A0=3D {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
> > =A0 =A0 year =A0 =3D {1999},
> > }
>
> as an aside, note that seb's surname is "rahtz". =A0(i hate parents who
> make jokes in the allocation of their children's names -- or as in this
> case, initials....)

Thanks. I hadn't spotted the typo.

Regards,

Marc van Dongen

0
dongen (455)
5/12/2011 2:23:06 PM
On May 12, 10:52=A0am, Lars Madsen <dal...@RTFMSIGNATUREimf.au.dk>
wrote:

> > [ bibtex woes ]
> have you tried with {\,} instead? comma is special in bibtex and I do
> not think it test to see if it is escaped.

Thanks. That worked. I actually had to put the \\thinspace commands
inside braces as well (for obvious reasons).

Regards,

Marc van Dongen
0
dongen (455)
5/12/2011 2:27:05 PM
On Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:27:05 PM UTC+2, Marc van Dongen wrote:
> On May 12, 10:52=A0am, Lars Madsen <dal...@RTFMSIGNATUREimf.au.dk>
> wrote:
>=20
> > > [ bibtex woes ]
> > have you tried with {\,} instead? comma is special in bibtex and I do
> > not think it test to see if it is escaped.
>=20
> Thanks. That worked. I actually had to put the \\thinspace commands
> inside braces as well (for obvious reasons).
>=20
> Regards,
>=20
>=20
> Marc van Dongen

Just use and to seperate different authors the error will go away.
On Monday, 21 October 2013 16:43:24 UTC-4, sijot...@gmail.com  wrote:
> On Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:27:05 PM UTC+2, Marc van Dongen wrote:
>=20
> > On May 12, 10:52=A0am, Lars Madsen <dal...@RTFMSIGNATUREimf.au.dk>
>=20
> > wrote:
>=20
> >=20
>=20
>=20
> > > have you tried with {\,} instead? comma is special in bibtex and I do
>=20
> > > not think it test to see if it is escaped.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Thanks. That worked. I actually had to put the \\thinspace commands
>=20
> > inside braces as well (for obvious reasons).
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Regards,
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Marc van Dongen
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Just use and to seperate different authors the error will go away.

??  'and' is used to seprate the names (in this rather old thread)..?

cheers,
jon.
0
jonwrobinson (257)