biblatex: Too Many Commas in Name

Howsagoin,

After changing my BibTeX file, I now get errors of the form
 Too many commas in name 2 of "Carlisle, D.\,P. and Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q."
for entry graphicx.
The offending entry reads as follows:
@Manual{graphicx,
    author = {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
              Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
    title  = {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
    year   = {1999},
}

When I changed the \, commands to \thinspace the error was gone. I'm
not sure if this is a bug, but I'd like to know if and what I was
doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Marc van Dongen
0
dongen (455)

Marc van Dongen wrote, On 2011-05-12 11:46:
> Howsagoin,
>

> After changing my BibTeX file, I now get errors of the form
>  Too many commas in name 2 of "Carlisle, D.\,P. and Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q."
> for entry graphicx.
> The offending entry reads as follows:
> @Manual{graphicx,
>     author = {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
>               Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
>     title  = {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
>     year   = {1999},
> }
>
> When I changed the \, commands to \thinspace the error was gone. I'm
> not sure if this is a bug, but I'd like to know if and what I was
> doing wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Regards,
>

> Marc van Dongen

have you tried with {\,} instead? comma is special in bibtex and I do
not think it test to see if it is escaped.

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

Memoir and mh bundle maintainer
LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/  (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html
0
daleif1329 (544)
5/12/2011 9:52:07 AM
Marc van Dongen <dongen@cs.ucc.ie> writes:

> After changing my BibTeX file, I now get errors of the form
>  Too many commas in name 2 of "Carlisle, D.\,P. and Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q."
> for entry graphicx.
> The offending entry reads as follows:
> @Manual{graphicx,
>     author = {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
>               Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
>     title  = {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
>     year   = {1999},
> }

as an aside, note that seb's surname is "rahtz".  (i hate parents who
make jokes in the allocation of their children's names -- or as in this
case, initials....)
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
my address is @cl.cam.ac.uk, regardless of the header.  sorry about that.
Robin Fairbairns wrote, On 2011-05-12 12:01:
> Marc van Dongen <dongen@cs.ucc.ie> writes:
>
>> After changing my BibTeX file, I now get errors of the form
>>  Too many commas in name 2 of "Carlisle, D.\,P. and Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q."
>> for entry graphicx.
>> The offending entry reads as follows:
>> @Manual{graphicx,
>>     author = {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
>>               Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
>>     title  = {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
>>     year   = {1999},
>> }
>
> as an aside, note that seb's surname is "rahtz".  (i hate parents who
> make jokes in the allocation of their children's names -- or as in this
> case, initials....)

is there a joke hidden here?

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

Memoir and mh bundle maintainer
LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/  (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html
0
daleif1329 (544)
5/12/2011 10:03:06 AM
Lars Madsen <daleif@RTFMSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> writes:

> Robin Fairbairns wrote, On 2011-05-12 12:01:
>> Marc van Dongen <dongen@cs.ucc.ie> writes:
>>
>>> After changing my BibTeX file, I now get errors of the form
>>>  Too many commas in name 2 of "Carlisle, D.\,P. and Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q."
>>> for entry graphicx.
>>> The offending entry reads as follows:
>>> @Manual{graphicx,
>>>     author = {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
>>>               Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
>>>     title  = {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
>>>     year   = {1999},
>>> }
>>
>> as an aside, note that seb's surname is "rahtz".  (i hate parents who
>> make jokes in the allocation of their children's names -- or as in this
>> case, initials....)
>
> is there a joke hidden here?

Look at the initials of Rahtz' name.

--
Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail.
0
Philipp Stephani wrote, On 2011-05-12 12:40:
> Lars Madsen <daleif@RTFMSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> writes:
>
>> Robin Fairbairns wrote, On 2011-05-12 12:01:

>>> as an aside, note that seb's surname is "rahtz".  (i hate parents who
>>> make jokes in the allocation of their children's names -- or as in this
>>> case, initials....)
>> is there a joke hidden here?
>
> Look at the initials of Rahtz' name.

SPQR?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPQR

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

Memoir and mh bundle maintainer
LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/  (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html
0
daleif1329 (544)
5/12/2011 10:51:23 AM
On May 12, 11:01=A0am, Robin Fairbairns <r...@sxp10.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Marc van Dongen <don...@cs.ucc.ie> writes:

> > @Manual{graphicx,
> > =A0 =A0 author =3D {Carlisle, D.\,P. and
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Ratz, S.\,P.\,Q.},
> > =A0 =A0 title =A0=3D {The \texttt{graphicx} Package},
> > =A0 =A0 year =A0 =3D {1999},
> > }
>
> as an aside, note that seb's surname is "rahtz". =A0(i hate parents who
> make jokes in the allocation of their children's names -- or as in this
> case, initials....)

Thanks. I hadn't spotted the typo.

Regards,

Marc van Dongen

0
dongen (455)
5/12/2011 2:23:06 PM
On May 12, 10:52=A0am, Lars Madsen <dal...@RTFMSIGNATUREimf.au.dk>
wrote:

> > [ bibtex woes ]
> have you tried with {\,} instead? comma is special in bibtex and I do
> not think it test to see if it is escaped.

Thanks. That worked. I actually had to put the \\thinspace commands
inside braces as well (for obvious reasons).

Regards,

Marc van Dongen
0
dongen (455)
5/12/2011 2:27:05 PM
On Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:27:05 PM UTC+2, Marc van Dongen wrote:
> On May 12, 10:52=A0am, Lars Madsen <dal...@RTFMSIGNATUREimf.au.dk>
> wrote:
>=20
> > > [ bibtex woes ]
> > have you tried with {\,} instead? comma is special in bibtex and I do
> > not think it test to see if it is escaped.
>=20
> Thanks. That worked. I actually had to put the \\thinspace commands
> inside braces as well (for obvious reasons).
>=20
> Regards,
>=20
>=20
> Marc van Dongen

Just use and to seperate different authors the error will go away.
On Monday, 21 October 2013 16:43:24 UTC-4, sijot...@gmail.com  wrote:
> On Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:27:05 PM UTC+2, Marc van Dongen wrote:
>=20
> > On May 12, 10:52=A0am, Lars Madsen <dal...@RTFMSIGNATUREimf.au.dk>
>=20
> > wrote:
>=20
> >=20
>=20
>=20
> > > have you tried with {\,} instead? comma is special in bibtex and I do
>=20
> > > not think it test to see if it is escaped.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Thanks. That worked. I actually had to put the \\thinspace commands
>=20
> > inside braces as well (for obvious reasons).
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Regards,
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Marc van Dongen
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Just use and to seperate different authors the error will go away.

??  'and' is used to seprate the names (in this rather old thread)..?

cheers,
jon.
0
jonwrobinson (257)

NAME! and NAME@ versus !NAME and @NAME
Leo Brodie's Forth style guide says: save value of (to stack) @name restore value of !name store into name! fetch from name@ I don't understand when it's appropriate to use @name or !name, and when to use name@ or name!. My research so far: The Standard use the latter a lot: C!, 2! R@, F!, DEFER@, etc. But the former seems to be rare. I found !CSP and !BITS in some traditional Forths. Machine Forth use A!/A@ to access the contents of the A register, and !A/@A to access memory. Any ...

If a text field is not empty, print a comma after the text
How do I do this in the calculation field? I do a lot of formatting of text in FM (8) on a Mac and am trying to learn on my own. This should be a simple task, but I can't figure it out. Thanks for any help. John Oliver composer <spamisevil@shaw.ca> writes: > How do I do this in the calculation field? I do a lot of formatting of > text in FM (8) on a Mac and am trying to learn on my own. This should > be a simple task, but I can't figure it out. > Thanks for any help. if( not isempty(self) ; self & "," ) Jens -- Free PlugIn for Regular Expressions ...

Change the name with the random names in a text file
Hi Guys, I am fairly new to the language and programing. I am trying to solve a problem in a text file. Where names are something like in this manner [**Name2 (NI) 98**] [**Last Name (STitle) 97**] [**First Name4 (NamePattern1) 93**] [**Last Name (NamePattern1) 94**] ([**Name (NI) 95**]) [**Last Name (un) 96**] I am trying to change these with random names. Any ideas or how should I do it. Any help appreciated. Thank in advance On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Amaninder Singh <asingh0412@gmail.com> wr= ote: > Hi Guys, > I am fairly new to the language and programing. I am try...

finding function names in a static built app by text name?
I've been looking for a way to find the address of a function within my Linux app by using its text name and have had no luck. This is analogous to using dlsym() to find a symbol by name in a dynamically linked app but I need it to work in my static build app. (I would rather not read the output of 'nm' if I can avoid it.) For example: main() { int (*f)(); f = FINDSYM("func_a"); (*f)(); ... } int func_a() { } somelinuxguy <averagegg@hotmail.com> wrote: > I've been looking for a way to find the address of a function > w...

Naming Names
Naming Names -------- The following is a brief list of observations concerning ad hominem remarks or the naming of names in scientific contexts. Arguments can never be of more general significance than names named. For example, addressing critical arguments to ideas or thoughts, makes the arguments more general than if addressed to an individual whereas arguments addressed to an individual are of more specific and less general significance than those addressed to ideas and thoughts of an individual. Addressi...

How do I Join a text with many rows in a new text with only one row?
HI I have a problem to join a text with many rows in a text in only one row.=20 How I can make this?=20 Thank=B4s=20 Carlos Biazoto=20 Brazil On 13 Sep 2005 11:57:19 -0700, biazoto <biazoto@yahoo.com> wrote: > HI > I have a problem to join a text with many rows in a text in only one > row. > How I can make this? > > The easiest way is tr -d '\n' . If you insist on using awk, awk '{printf("%s",$0)}' -- BOFH excuse #52: Smell from unhygienic janitorial staff wrecked the tape heads biazoto wrote: > HI > I have a problem to j...

Reading many fields/text/data from a single text file
I tried it with RTF, I am able to read the entire content. Same goes with the TXT file. But is VB able to allow you to read various data from a single text file? > I tried it with RTF, I am able to read the entire content. > Same goes with the TXT file. But is VB able to allow > you to read various data from a single text file? The only thing your post has told us is that you are having some kind of problem; but not the details of what that problem is. How big is the file you are trying to read? What is happening when you can't read the entire contents (for example, are you get...

Many-to-many
Hi I have a question about many-to-many relationship. I have a java application where I want to updates oracle tables in a many-to-many relationship with a dml-statement. Is this possible to do through the jdbc-interface? Regards, Fredrik Fredrik wrote: > Hi > > I have a question about many-to-many relationship. I have a java > application > where I want to updates oracle tables in a many-to-many relationship > with a dml-statement. Is this possible to do through the > jdbc-interface? > > Regards, > Fredrik If you have a many:many relationship by definition you have a bad design. Fix the design issue be creating an intersecting entity consisting of the primary keys from other other tables. -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond) Fredrik wrote: > Hi > > I have a question about many-to-many relationship. I have a java > application > where I want to updates oracle tables in a many-to-many relationship > with a dml-statement. Is this possible to do through the > jdbc-interface? > > Regards, > Fredrik I see two questions in your post rolled into one. First question is answered by Daniel about many-to-many relationship. 2nd question is if you can run DML from JDBC... and the answer is... Yes you can. Visit http://tahiti.oracle.com and read thru JDBC developers guide. Regards /Rauf ...

text-text

many to many
Can one add some extra data into the link table on a many to many join. Have a group table and a member table and a link table. Want to add a 'title' column but the only current table it could go in would be the link table. Ok, or no? TIA user wrote: > Can one add some extra data into the link table on a many to many join. Sure you could do that, if you want. -- //Aho On Fri, 11 May 2007 06:07:59 +0200, "J.O. Aho" <user@example.net> wrote: >user wrote: >> Can one add some extra data into the link table on a many to many join. > >Sure yo...

Many to Many
I'm setting up a many-to-many relationship between an instructors table and a class table. 1 Instructor can have many classes. 1 Class can be held by more then one instructor. I'm using a bridging table between the 2. I placed a 3rd table between them that consists of (ID, Instructor_ID, Class_ID). The Instructor_ID and Class_ID were set to allow duplicates. These were then linked back to the Instructor and Class table. In the form for the class, you may now select an instructor from a combo box and click on add. The 3rd table is then updated with the instructors ID and the Cla...

too many names
From the manifacture, the printer has a netbios name, a model number, its driver's name, its LPD queue name On the server, the administrator assigns a print queue name and an IP address. Please, what name is used for the server's print queue name and what's the purpose of it. On the other hand, why do we need the LPD queue name if we send the print job to printer's IP address? Lately, printers manufactures allow any remote queue name for LPD queue name .... how does that work compare to the specific LPD queues names? Thanks in advance! ...

Is this a many to many?
All I have a small call center mdb with a few tables including tblCall and tblAdvisor tblCall logs details about the call including 2 fields 1 for the Advisor logging the call and 1 for the Advisor Assigned to the call These 2 fields will often store the IDs of different Advisors sourced from the tblAdvisor At the momemt I have a one to many relationship between tblAdvisor.AdvisorID and tblCall.AdvisorLogging I have no relationship enforced between tblAdvisor.AdvisorID and tblCall.AdvisorAssigned Is this a true many to many or is my one to many approach acceptable? With a many to many the A...

text + text

.DIR performance with many versions vs. many unique names ?
Hi. Just a quick question... Would there be any difference in performance (lookup, delete and so on) on a directory when using unique names vs. having fewer names but multiple versions ? That is, having the same total number of files in both cases. The actual case is where we want to save batch logs for some time, and I would like to give them unique names (adding a timestamp) instead of just having a lot of old "versions". The issue is of course having versions rolling up to the max version... Maybe having multiple versions of the same file is stored in less space in the .DIR fil...

hyperref
When using the hyperref-package, how can I create a hyperlink to a label ? E.g.: ... \label{somepage} More info can be read at page \pageref{somepage}. Other aspects will be discussed {[hyperlink to "somepage"->] there} also. When using the hyperref-package, "\pageref{somepage}" becomes a hyperlink. So there should already be some kind of anchor-name or the like defined for it. In my case I would like to use this anchor-name instead of creating another one explicitely by myself via "\hypertarget". I tried with: Other aspects will be discu...

Name of text effect where text cut out and we see various images underneath?
I've been seeing this technique over in the sci-fi ng a bit lately and I really like it. In both cases, each letter had a different background from the other letters, and the entire piece of text had different pictures from the background. I remember, too, seeing an effect where it looked like the text was a well, meaning, that it was cut out and the picture behind was buried well beneath the ground-line. Is that clear or clear as mud?! Was hoping to do both things. Cut out the interior of each letter and fill with a different picture and to also apply depth to the cutout. TIA! :oD ...

How can I modify the name of the text section which is by default ".text"
When C source code is compiled into an object file (.o), the functions are put into the .text section. Is it possible that I put all functions to a renamed text section whose name may be ".text.app". When linking several .o files into an executable, I need to put the code of .o files into different positions(in MCU). If I can rename the text section of object files, I can set different section start addresses for each section. LinNan wrote: > When C source code is compiled into an object file (.o), the functions > are put into the .text section. > Is it possible that I p...

Name of text effect where text cut out and we see various images underneath?
I've been seeing this technique over in the sci-fi ng a bit lately and I really like it. In both cases, each letter had a different background from the other letters, and the entire piece of text had different pictures from the background. I remember, too, seeing an effect where it looked like the text was a well, meaning, that it was cut out and the picture behind was buried well beneath the ground-line. Is that clear or clear as mud?! Was hoping to do both things. Cut out the interior of each letter and fill with a different picture and to also apply depth to the cutout. TIA! :oD ...

Newbie Question: How do I know how many rows of text will appear in a text area?
I have a text area that I need to scroll one page at a time until the end of the document. I have a problem, however. How do I know how many pages to scroll before I hit the end of the document? HTML will presumably take care of all the word-wrapping, so it is difficult - if not impossible - for me to determine the number of rows beforehand. As far as I can tell, there is no direct way to tell how many rows of text will be generated by the browser except, perhaps, through use of trial-and-error. But this is not practical because the text will change from one day to the next, and I need to ...

Trying to remember the name of a PC game I played many many years ago
I am hoping someone here will remember the name of this game if I give some details that I remember from it. I know it was in a mansion, with lots of rooms and lots of floors. There were also 3 basements too. The first floor was littered with zombies. The third floor has an insane assylum (I think it was the 3rd floor). In the basement just as you went down the back stairs was a mummy with a shotgun. The objective of the game was to find your way to the 5th floor (I think this was part of the ethereal plane) and kill the big dude (demon). While moving around you could pick up...

How to separate a big text file (say 400 news stories) to many small text files?
I have downloaded a big text file from Lexis-Nexis. This text file has 412 news stories. Each story begins with, for example, 1 of 412 DOCUMENTS or 2 of 412 DOCUMENTS and close to the end it has LOAD-DATE: information. I want to process this one big text file into 412 separate text files and name them according to the LOAD-DATE, for example, DELL_20081205_1.txt or DELL_20081205_2.txt. Can anybody give me some hint on how to achieve this using Perl? The actual text file is attached below. Thank you very much. William 1 of 412 DOCUMENTS ...

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly is: \expandafter\ifx\csname pmn@scaled\endcsname\relax \let\pmn@scaled\@empty \else \edef\pmn@scaled{s*[1.2]}% \fi I think what this says is "if pnm@scaled is not defined (case 1), leave it empty, otherwise set it to "s[1.2]". But the else clause is not working correctly, and I don't know how to differentiate between "defined by keyval but with no value" and "defined by keyval but with a value". Also I'm pretty sure I don't really know the difference between \let and \edef. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. JDO john_owens@yahoo.com schrieb: > I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble > getting the right behavior, which is: > > If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a > variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". > ...

XSLT Select nodes without text-node children whose names starts with specifix text

Web resources about - biblatex: Too Many Commas in Name - comp.text.tex