Bold text and math

I'm trying to make a quick and dirty command that will allow me to put
answers into the multiple choice section of a test I'm writing with them
showing up as regular text when I print it out, but then switch them to
bold when I want to make the answer key.

I've got the ifthenelse stuff working, but the issue now is that I'd like
both text and maths to be bold in the answer key.  The command I
am currently using is

\newcommand{\citem}[2]{\ifthenelse{\boolean{showanswers}}
      {\item[\bnum] \textbf{#1 --- #2}}{\item #1}}

This get's all the text of course, but none of the maths.  Is there
solution that will turn everything bold, regardless of what the
environment of #1 and #2 are?
0
klassen (126)

David Klassen schrieb:
> I'm trying to make a quick and dirty command that will allow me to put
> answers into the multiple choice section of a test I'm writing with them
> showing up as regular text when I print it out, but then switch them to
> bold when I want to make the answer key.
>
> I've got the ifthenelse stuff working, but the issue now is that I'd like
> both text and maths to be bold in the answer key.  The command I
> am currently using is
>
> \newcommand{\citem}[2]{\ifthenelse{\boolean{showanswers}}
>       {\item[\bnum] \textbf{#1 --- #2}}{\item #1}}
>
> This get's all the text of course, but none of the maths.  Is there
> solution that will turn everything bold, regardless of what the
> environment of #1 and #2 are?

David,

Have a look at the bm-package to turn the math-stuff bold.

Tom
0
kink1 (99)
9/22/2004 1:24:31 PM
Tom Kink schrieb:

> > I've got the ifthenelse stuff working, but the issue now is that I'd like
> > both text and maths to be bold in the answer key.  [...] T
>
> Have a look at the bm-package to turn the math-stuff bold.

Pardon me, but

Enclose the formula to be emboldened into a group or environment
where the declaration \boldmath is active:

{\boldmath
  arbitrary text...
  $...$
  arbitrary text...
}

This is a standard feature LaTeX.

The extra bm package serves primarily to embolden single symbols,
letters or parts of formulas.  Using it to print complete formulas
in bold type is "overkill".

Walter
0
tex1 (135)
9/22/2004 2:04:14 PM
Walter Schmidt schrieb:

> Tom Kink schrieb:
>
>>>I've got the ifthenelse stuff working, but the issue now is that I'd like
>>>both text and maths to be bold in the answer key.  [...] T
>>
>>Have a look at the bm-package to turn the math-stuff bold.
>

> Pardon me, but
>
> Enclose the formula to be emboldened into a group or environment
> where the declaration \boldmath is active:
>
> {\boldmath
>   arbitrary text...
>   $...$
>   arbitrary text...
> }
>
> This is a standard feature LaTeX.
>
> The extra bm package serves primarily to embolden single symbols,
> letters or parts of formulas.  Using it to print complete formulas
> in bold type is "overkill".

Oh well, learn something new every day. Thanks for specifying the proper
ways of usage. I did not really think when I answered that question.

Tom
0
kink1 (99)
9/22/2004 2:39:14 PM
Walter Schmidt <tex@quantentunnel.de> wrote in message news:<4151865E.F7E529F8@quantentunnel.de>...

> Enclose the formula to be emboldened into a group or environment
> where the declaration \boldmath is active:
>
> {\boldmath
>   arbitrary text...
>   $...$
>   arbitrary text...
> }

Thanks for the help!

This gets the math, but not the text.  I want *everything* to be bold:
text, math, symbols, etc.
0
klassen (126)
9/22/2004 8:34:17 PM
David Klassen schrieb:

> Walter Schmidt <tex@quantentunnel.de> wrote in message news:<4151865E.F7E529F8@quantentunnel.de>...
> >
> > Enclose the formula to be emboldened into a group or environment
> > where the declaration \boldmath is active:
> >
> > {\boldmath
> >   arbitrary text...
> >   $...$
> >   arbitrary text...
> > }
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> This gets the math, but not the text.  I want *everything* to be bold:
> text, math, symbols, etc.

I assumed you know already how to embolden text...
Issue the declaration \bfseries in adition to \boldmath.
And read any up-to-date LaTeX introduction, please.

Walter
0
tex1 (135)
9/22/2004 10:28:52 PM
Try with the following command:

\bfseries\mathversion{bold}

Best of Luck
Saravanan,M.
India

"Saravanan,M." <Saravanan_Typesetter@yahoo.co.in> wrote
> Try with the following command:
>
> \bfseries\mathversion{bold}
>
> Walter Schmidt <tex@quantentunnel.de> wrote
> > David Klassen schrieb:
> > > Walter Schmidt <tex@quantentunnel.de> wrote

What's the difference between \boldmath and \mathversion{bold}?

And, a related question, I think:
Is there any way to change to bold math (maybe even for italics) that
will also work with other fonts like mathptmx? My problem is that I'd
prefer to typeset vectors and matrices in bold italics as required by
the ISO standards but I couldn't find a way to do so for various fonts.

Thanks for your advice,
Andreas.

--
For replying by E-Mail, please remove the fruit and the "invalid" TLD
from my address.

> What's the difference between \boldmath and \mathversion{bold}?

not a lot:-)

\def\boldmath{\@nomath\boldmath
              \mathversion{bold}}

ie boldmath makes a user level error message if you try to use it inside
math mode, whereas \mathversio just does the qrong thing (experts aren't
supposed to make mistakes, so appeciate saving a couple of tokens:-)

> Is there any way to change to bold math (maybe even for italics) that
> will also work with other fonts like mathptmx? My problem is that I'd
> prefer to typeset vectors and matrices in bold italics as required by
> the ISO standards but I couldn't find a way to do so for various fonts.

bm is supposed to do that. Although to get good results your math font
set up does have to have bold fonts (otherwise bm uses poor mans bold,
overprinting)

David
0
davidc5020 (601)
9/23/2004 10:16:19 AM
Walter Schmidt <tex@quantentunnel.de> wrote in message news:<4151FCA4.BCB60119@quantentunnel.de>...
> David Klassen schrieb:
> >
> > Walter Schmidt <tex@quantentunnel.de> wrote in message news:<4151865E.F7E529F8@quantentunnel.de>...
> > >
> > > Enclose the formula to be emboldened into a group or environment
> > > where the declaration \boldmath is active:
> > >
> > > {\boldmath
> > >   arbitrary text...
> > >   $...$
> > >   arbitrary text...
> > > }
> >
> > Thanks for the help!
> >
> > This gets the math, but not the text.  I want *everything* to be bold:
> > text, math, symbols, etc.
>
> I assumed you know already how to embolden text...

I usually use \textbf{...} for that.

> Issue the declaration \bfseries in adition to \boldmath.

AHHHH...I didn't realize these basically set "states" and can be used
in conjunction with each other.

> And read any up-to-date LaTeX introduction, please.

Right---state setting things can be used together, like \bfseries and \itshape;
both take effect and stay on for the rest of the environment.

Thanks!
0
klassen (126)

text + text

text-text

format bold text in a text box
I have a text box with this: =" Your name is: " $ [Name] $ " and last name is " $ [Lname] I want ONLY the [Name] and [Lname} to format bold and the other text not. Could I do this? You would needt use an RTF control for this. Hav a look at http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm -- Terry Kreft "yiannis" <postnews@freemail.gr> wrote in message news:eeatc8$oql$1@volcano1.grnet.gr... > I have a text box with this: > =" Your name is: " $ [Name] $ " and last name is " $ [Lname] > > I want ONLY the [Name] and [Lname} to form...

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

Pages

text 2 text

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

I want bold \glsnamefont for both text and math (symbols) but \ifmmode tests upon entry, not if argument (#1) is math mode based
Suppose I have two entries: =20 \newglossaryentry{exists}{type=3Dsymbols, name=3D{\ensuremath{\exists}}, description=3D{is the mathematical symbol for \emph{there exists}.}, sort=3D{exists} } \newglossaryentry{such that}{type=3Dsymbols, name=3D{\text{s.t.}, description=3D{is the mathematical symbol for \emph{such that}.}, sort=3D{such that}, } If I use \renewcommand{\glsnamefont}[1]{\ifmmode{\boldsymbol{#1}}\else{\textbf{#1}}\= fi} it appears \ifmmode always executes \else because going in it is not in mat= h mode, entry exists switches it into math mode but \glsnamefont tests befo= re #1 goes into math mode (or at least that is what I think is happening). = I need a test that sees if #1 goes into math mode (or some other way to te= st....) Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated, david s. On 12/02/14 03:12, Dave94705 wrote: > Suppose I have two entries: > > \newglossaryentry{exists}{type=symbols, > name={\ensuremath{\exists}}, > description={is the mathematical symbol for \emph{there exists}.}, > sort={exists} > } > > \newglossaryentry{such that}{type=symbols, > name={\text{s.t.}, > description={is the mathematical symbol for \emph{such that}.}, > sort={such that}, > } > > If I use > > \renewcommand{\glsnamefont}[1]{\ifmmode{\boldsymbol{#1}}\else{\textbf{#1}}\fi} > > it appears \ifmmode always executes \else b...

Making mixed text and math bold?
Hello, I have some text interspersed with math symbols in a table. For example say it is, hello& $3$ & world\\ There are several such rows, containing mix of math and text. I want to make some of these rows to be in bold face. How do I that? Enclosing these rows in \textbf gives error. So, I tried creating an environment like \newenvironment{bfrows}{ \normalfont\bfseries} but this group an end group error when I write \begin{bfrows} hello& $3$ & world\\ \end{bfrows} How do I achieve what I want? The only solution which I think will work for sure is tedious, and I think ugly, i.e., enclose every piece of text in \textbf and math in \mathbf. Thanks for your help. -- Surendra Singhi http://www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi/index.html ,---- | WHY SHOULD WE SAVE TIGER? | Ans: Saving the tiger means saving mankind.. | | Help http://pudang.tripod.com/ | or https://secure.worldwildlife.org/forms/tiger_appeal_1.cfm `---- Surendra Singhi <efuzzyone@netscape.net> writes: > I have some text interspersed with math symbols in a table. For example say >it is, > >hello& $3$ & world\\ > >There are several such rows, containing mix of math and text. I want to make >some of these rows to be in bold face. > >How do I that? > >Enclosing these rows in \textbf gives error. because the & is a group (box) delimiter. >So, I tried creating an environment like > >\newenvironment{bfrows}{ > \normalf...

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

(La)TeX math -> fixed width text
Hello ctt, I was playing around with Unicode and I made a HTML page with some mathematical expressions using fixed-width characters: http://wiki.auf-trag.de/textmath.html Is there a program that would make something like that automatically from LaTeX math code? (I know it's ugly, I'm just asking out of curiosity) Regards, Stephan Stephan Walter wrote: > Hello ctt, > > I was playing around with Unicode and I made a HTML page with some > mathematical expressions using fixed-width characters: > > http://wiki.auf-trag.de/textmath.html > > Is there a program that would make something like that automatically > from LaTeX math code? Yes tth http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/ check out the -u switch if you really want unicode. Ian Hutchinson. ...

text in a widget, text-widget
hello i have an application with a couple of text widgets but i would like to add some functionalities that at first and second sight are not directly supported by the plain text widget itself - ? for example i would like certain lines of text within the textwidget to take different background colors according to certain parameters also i would like to be able to detect certain sentences or words that would become 'links' and by clicking them i would open up different windows any suggestions to solutions and widgets for the above problems ? - i probably could...

popup text when the pointer is on some text

aligning text and image-text
I use a program to make Email addresses harder for spammers to harvest. It converts them to slightly blurred images using http://mindprod.com/products1.html#MASKER When I embed them in text, I have figured out how to get them to align naturally with the surrounding text, but the browser inserts extra inter-line spacing above the line containing the image. You can see the effect at http://mindprod.com/book/books.html at the bottom of the page where it says: "Please email your feedback for publication, letters to the editor, errors, omissions, typos, formatting errors, ambig...

Search for text in a text field
Hi When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many records and then diplay the records which contains the input. Thanks in advance, Luke. There is a function called InStr that will probably do what you require. Cheers, Chris "Luke Jones" <luke_jones_82@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:24bb1508.0407080157.d587c63@posting.google.com... > Hi > > When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input > and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in ...

text file not mac text
please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. I remember 'forked files' but no details...... Is there a II utilty to 'convert' a mac text file to acceptable II ascii text? thanks. cornelio <cornelio@san.rr.com> wrote: > please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII > text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. > I remember 'forked files' but no details...... > > Is there a II utilty to '...

Overloading || ( text,text ) operator
Hi, I was trying to overload concat operator ||(text,text) such a way that it behaves like Oracle. i.e. I want 'abc' || null to return 'abc' instead of null. I know that it is not the expected behaviour in postgres, but since I am migrating the database from oracle to postgres , I need this behaviour. But when I try to drop the existing || operator, I get the following error ERROR: cannot drop operator ||(text,text) because it is required by the database system Also I cannot modify the application which runs over the database. Hence I cannot overload || (var...

Text filtering in a text field
Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a text field in my form that is only to be with text, not any of the symbols (i.e. ~!@#$%^&* and so on). When the user input and saved the fields, those characters won't be allowed to be saved. What will be the best way to filter out only text? Only numbers? Terence <terrylau77@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and > filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a > text f...

highlight text in text widget
Hi, I am trying to make widget that displays text. I also want a search keywords available. The way I have envisioned is something similar to emacs search, i.e. it highlights all the occurrences of the keyword that you are interested in. I am trying to find out if that kind of highlighting be done in widget_text or some other widgets. Can anyone help? Thanks neon writes: > I am trying to make widget that displays text. I also want a search > keywords available. The way I have envisioned is something similar to > emacs search, i.e. it highlights all the occurrences of the keyword &g...

text field only for text
Hi I would like some help about the following : I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I limit this situation ? So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. TIA Paulo "Paulo Rodrigues" <amigo.alf@netvisao.pt> wrote in message news:<newscache$kgmtmh$bb1$1@newsfront4.netvisao.pt>... > Hi > > I would like some help about the following : > > I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I > limit > this situation ? > > So far, I couldn't...

Text ( unicode ) To Text (ANSI)
Dear Sir, I have a text file ( unicode) i want to transfer this file to text ( Ansi ) by command Read up on MultiByteToWideChar and WideCharToMultiByte http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/Intl/unicode_17si.asp ...

raw text, source text?
I have two people who write me using Gmail and the format of the emails I get is bad. It has capital �'s all over the place. I can't tell the pattern. At the end of most llines and other places. It can't send an apostrophe correctly. Instead it looks like �tm And something it sends looks like ·� � � � � � �, Maybe this is just more A's but what it looks like in my email is some Germanic R with a big dot next and 6 tiny �'s that look like the surf coming in. Once a month ago the email from one sender came in looking good, but he told me...

Web resources about - Bold text and math - comp.text.tex

Bold Poker
Crazy idea, exquisitely well done: Bold Poker replaces your deck of cards with iPhones. A whole bunch of iPhones. Crazy because why not just ...

‘Wake Up. Be Bold.’
I’m sure this campaign will sell a lot of BlackBerrys and turn RIM right around.

Bold as Love (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bold As Love , first published in 2001, is the first of a series of five books written by Gwyneth Jones and set in a near-future version of the ...

AdPulp - Grizzly Adams-like character enjoys him some bold... - Facebook
Grizzly Adams-like character enjoys him some bold flavor. #manliest

Niti Central - Bold and Right - Latest News - Breaking Live News Today - Latest News India - Politics ...
... India through an alternative Center Right latest news and opinions on India and the world that promotes what is good for the country.Bold and ...

Bold & The Beautiful (@BandB_CBS) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Bold & The Beautiful @ BandB_CBS ...

bold.dk on the App Store on iTunes
Get bold.dk on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Senator Bernie Sanders making the case for how VT can lead the world towards bold climat - Flickr - Photo ...
Photo by David Garten, www.vtweddingphoto.com/ All around the state, Vermonters participated in a global day of action to connect the dots between ...

My Bold Dad - Presented by The Bold New Camry - Toyota - YouTube
Being a dad is a choice. One that will make a wonderful human being who will make their own choices someday. #OneBoldChoice SUBSCRIBE: http: ...

The bold plan to bring North Sydney Bears back to NRL via Gold Coast Titans
Central Coast Bears CEO Greg Florimo believes the Gold Coast franchise will succeed if the NRL gives the green light to his organisation's bold ...