Can I map ">" to "\textgreater"?

Hello,

is it possible to map characters like ">" to "\textgreater", so that a
source file containing several such symbols does not need re-editing?

I can map it to various things with
"\DeclareTextSymbol{\>}{OT1}{whatever}", but I don't know how to find
out the numeric code that \textgreater corresponds to, and I'm not sure
if this is the best way of doing things.

Many thanks in advance,

Tom
0
tom1754 (6)

Tom Thurston wrote:
> is it possible to map characters like ">" to "\textgreater", so that a
> source file containing several such symbols does not need re-editing?

The ">" character is already defined in the T1 font encoding but not in
OT1, as you've already discovered.  Try putting "\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}"
in your document's preamble and see if that does what you want.

-- Scott

0
ctt (1173)
6/30/2004 2:55:45 AM
Scott Pakin wrote:
> The ">" character is already defined in the T1 font encoding but not in
> OT1, as you've already discovered.  Try putting "\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}"
> in your document's preamble and see if that does what you want.
>
> -- Scott

Thanks for your prompt response Scott.

Actually I'd already looked at various fontenc options, but I find that
under my (pretty much default) MikTeX distribution, using a T1 encoding
gives very ugly bitmapped characters.  A while back I found another
encoding that worked, but it increased the PDF file size considerably
and pages rendered very slowly in Acrobat.  So I'd like to stick to the
default encoding if possible.

Perhaps I should ask exactly what "\textgreater" does?  Is it a
character in a font table?  Or something else?  I'm fairly new to LaTeX
so don't know how to find out exactly how commands are defined - is
there an easy way to do this? (kind of like debugging)

Alternatively, a less elegant solution might be to map ">" to a
different font that does contain this character.  Can this be done with
\DeclareTextSymbol or something similar?

Thanks again for your help,

Tom

0
tom1754 (6)
6/30/2004 10:55:09 AM
Tom Thurston wrote:

> Scott Pakin wrote:
>> Try putting "\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}" in your document's preamble

> Actually I'd already looked at various fontenc options, but I find
> that under my (pretty much default) MikTeX distribution, using a T1
> encoding gives very ugly bitmapped characters.

Tom,

since the default (almost, but not quite OT1-encoded fonts) just don't
contain the required characters, this will switch to a different font
called European Computer Modern. There is a Postscript version of
this font which will look fine in PDF files (search the CTAN
catalogue for CM-Super). There are also some other alternatives which
keep the look of the default fonts (search for Latin Modern). The
Miktex package management thingy probably has ready-made packages as
well.

Also see the UK Tex FAQ, these are very common issues.

> A while back I found another
> encoding that worked, but it increased the PDF file size
> considerably
> and pages rendered very slowly in Acrobat.  So I'd like to stick to
> the default encoding if possible.

Well, then try this:

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{ae}

This will load T1 encoded virtual fonts based on the original CM fonts
internally. Your PDF files will contain the same base fonts, but the
way Tex accesses the characters changes, resolving your problem (and
quite a few other quirks).

> Alternatively, a less elegant solution might be to map ">" to a
> different font that does contain this character.  Can this be done
> with \DeclareTextSymbol or something similar?

It can be done, but it's just not worth the trouble, especially since
there are more robust alternatives. Do yourself a favor and use some
sane fonts instead.

--
Sender address blackholed, do not reply by email!
You can still reach me at plehman @t gmx dot net.
 Tom Thurston <tom@bits.bris.ac.uk> wrote:

> Scott Pakin wrote:
> > The ">" character is already defined in the T1 font encoding but not in
> > OT1, as you've already discovered.  Try putting "\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}"
> > in your document's preamble and see if that does what you want.
>
> Actually I'd already looked at various fontenc options, but I find that
> under my (pretty much default) MikTeX distribution, using a T1 encoding
> gives very ugly bitmapped characters.  A while back I found another
> encoding that worked, but it increased the PDF file size considerably
> and pages rendered very slowly in Acrobat.  So I'd like to stick to the
> default encoding if possible.

The T1-encoded fonts are not available as type-1 (as in PostScript
type 1 outline) fonts in the same way that the OT1 encoded fonts are.
As a fallback you'll get the bitmapped renderings.

Two free, one commercial solutions are available. Y&Y has a commercial
set; the CM-Super set used autotrace to translate high-res bitmaps
into type-1 fonts again -- the set is very complete, includes cyrillic
characters, but is rather inefficient (too many control points). It is
also a hefty download (~70 MB IIRC).

My preferred solution, although others are bound to disagree, is to
use the latin modern set, use the MikTeX control center (or whatever
it is called ;) to install the lmodern package. After that add
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}\usepackage{lmodern} to your preamble.

The original metafont sources were processed by metapost to produce
postscript output and turn those into PS type-1 fonts (in the
preferred encoding) with the right number of control points. If my
eyes didn't deceive me, the spacing may change a little when switching
from CM. The download is relatively small at about 8 MB.

Maarten
Maarten Sneep <iintbeumtnbfkcpntohw__NOSP@M__xs4all.nl.invalid> writes:

> In article <I04Bnx.2qJ@bath.ac.uk>,
>  Tom Thurston <tom@bits.bris.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Scott Pakin wrote:
> > > The ">" character is already defined in the T1 font encoding but not in
> > > OT1, as you've already discovered.  Try putting "\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}"
> > > in your document's preamble and see if that does what you want.
> >
> > Actually I'd already looked at various fontenc options, but I find that
> > under my (pretty much default) MikTeX distribution, using a T1 encoding
> > gives very ugly bitmapped characters.  A while back I found another
> > encoding that worked, but it increased the PDF file size considerably
> > and pages rendered very slowly in Acrobat.  So I'd like to stick to the
> > default encoding if possible.
>
> The T1-encoded fonts are not available as type-1 (as in PostScript
> type 1 outline) fonts in the same way that the OT1 encoded fonts
> are.

They are available in _just_ the same way if you load the package ae
or zefonts.

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
dak (3569)
6/30/2004 1:39:00 PM
In article <x5wu1ptbbf.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>,
 David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

[on T1 encoded type1 versions of CM]

> They are available in _just_ the same way if you load the package ae
> or zefonts.

IIRC ae stands for "almost EC" -- indeed, see [1] -- What is the
"almost" bit when you say _just_ the same way?

Some relevant link to the current discussion:
[1] http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=type1T1
[2] http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts

Maarten
Maarten Sneep <iintbeumtnbfkcpntohw__NOSP@M__xs4all.nl.invalid> writes:

> In article <x5wu1ptbbf.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>,
>  David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> [on T1 encoded type1 versions of CM]
>
> > They are available in _just_ the same way if you load the package ae
> > or zefonts.
>
> IIRC ae stands for "almost EC" -- indeed, see [1] -- What is the
> "almost" bit when you say _just_ the same way?

_Just_ the same way as CM, not EC.  Since it actually _are_ the CM
fonts that get included into your PostScript/PDF files.

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
dak (3569)
6/30/2004 2:43:34 PM
Thanks for your comments Maarten, Philipp, David and Scott.

The ae package works perfectly, as does lmodern (but as you point out
Maarten it seems to be spaced slightly more loosely).

Problem solved - thanks for the help.
0
tom1754 (6)
6/30/2004 3:04:31 PM
 Maarten Sneep <iintbeumtnbfkcpntohw__NOSP@M__xs4all.nl.invalid> writes:
>Two free, one commercial solutions are available. Y&Y has a commercial
>set; the CM-Super set used autotrace to translate high-res bitmaps
>into type-1 fonts again -- the set is very complete, includes cyrillic
>characters, but is rather inefficient (too many control points). It is
>also a hefty download (~70 MB IIRC).

actually, the y&y em fonts aren't a complete cork encoded set.  there
is a complete commercial set from micropress, and a complete shareware
set from vassili malyshev.  (malyshev's offerings also include
cyrillic fonts, naturally, but i don't believe micropress does a
cyrillic set even though micropress is run by russians.)

the free ones are more confusing still, offering cm-super (with
bundled cyrillic), latin modern (mostly just latin alphabets) and
cm-lgc (with bundled cyrillic _and_ greek, but no optical scaling,
every font at one size).
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"or" and "and"

why "::", not "."

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

about "++" and "--"

"my" and "our"

"out" and "in out"

why have both "." and "->" ?
I used to remember why c++ needed both ? Could somebody help me here ? For example class A{ f(); }; A* aa; You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. Raj "raj" <rajkumar@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d7fee6d0.0406230748.694b966b@posting.google.com... > I used to remember why c++ needed both ? > Could somebody help me here ? > > For example > > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++...

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

what does "->" and "=>" do?
I have read through php.net manuals and have not see any mention about what these operands actually do. I have seen them used in a bunch of different code lately and don't really understand. Example 1: // Legacy Function: Renders the Footer of the Theme function themefooter() { global $engine, $index, $themepath; if ($index != 3) { $engine->do_themefooter($index); } } Example 2: // get the color scheme $colors = pnModAPIFunc('Xanthia','user','getSkinColors', array('skinid' => $skinID, 'paletteid' => $paletteid)); If anyo...

What does r"""any text""" mean ?
.... as you can find in os.py at line 1 ? Regards Alexander Alexander Eisenhuth wrote: > ... as you can find in os.py at line 1 ? Please don't split your request between subject and body. String literals enclosed in triple quotes are multiline strings. String literals prefixed by "r" are raw strings. http://docs.python.org/ref/strings.html Regards, Bj�rn -- BOFH excuse #71: The file system is full of it Hi Alexander, Alexander Eisenhuth wrote: > ... as you can find in os.py at line 1 ? This is a raw string. Raw strings don't interpret the escape sequences...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience w...

Why Sort[{"AX", "!D", "EX"}] -> {"AX", "!D", "EX"} ?
Would anybody explain to me the Mathematica (5.2) canonical order. Specifically, why In[]:= Sort[{"AX", "!D", "EX"}] Out[]= {"AX", "!D", "EX"} while, In[]:= Sort[{"A", "!", "E"}] Out[]= {"!", "A", "E"} Is this a bug??? Cheers, Philipp. FrontEndExecute[{HelpBrowserLookup["MainBook", "A.3.9"]}] Dimitris =CF/=C7 Philipp =DD=E3=F1=E1=F8=E5: > Would anybody explain to me the Mathematica (5.2) canonical order. > Specifically, why > > In[]:= Sort[{"AX", "!D", "EX"}] > Out[]= {"AX", "!D", "EX"} > > while, > > In[]:= Sort[{"A", "!", "E"}] > Out[]= {"!", "A", "E"} > > Is this a bug??? > > Cheers, > > Philipp. In fact ordering in Mathematica can be sometimes a puzzle! See for example here a thread that began by a similar question of mine. http://groups.google.gr/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/= thread/a6e6e45f3992253c/dab09c7198d1c81b?hl=el#dab09c7198d1c81b Dimitris =CF/=C7 Philipp =DD=E3=F1=E1=F8=E5: > Would anybody explain to me the Mathematica (5.2) canonical order. > Specifically, why > > In[]:= Sort[{"AX", "!D", "EX"}] > Out[...

Gary Sokolich """"""

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

"KernelMessageAction" -> "PrintToConsole" AND "PrintToNotebook"
It appears that in the Options Inspector I can set the "KernelMessageAction" option to {"PrintToConsole","PrintToNotebook"} in order to print messages in both places, but when I do it only prints them to the notebook, not the console. Anyone know what this is about? Thanks. - Ben ...

Web resources about - Can I map ">" to "\textgreater"? - comp.text.tex