Can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode

Greetings, group. A confernece has provided everyone with a template that
does not seem to work with my LaTeX installation, not even the example TeX
file. When running pdflatex, I get the following for each occurence of
citation in the text:

,----[ Quote ]
| ! You can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode.
| \@cite ...r \ifx \@tempa \@zero@skip \spacefactor
|                                                 1001 \fi \par \ifnum
| \spac...
| l.124 ...ist of references: Journal~\cite{bulpitt}
`----

The corresponding file called cite.sty contains:

,----[  ]
| \def\@cite#1#2{\leavevmode
|
|   \@tempskipa\lastskip \edef\@tempa{\the\@tempskipa}\unskip
|
|   \ifnum\lastpenalty=\z@ \penalty\@highpenalty \fi
|
|  \ifx\@tempa\@zero@skip \spacefactor1001 \fi % if no space before, set flag
|
|   \ifnum\spacefactor>\@m \ \else \hskip\@tempskipa \fi
|
|   \citeleft{#1\if@tempswa \citemid #2\fi
|
|   \spacefactor\@m % punctuation in note doesn't affect outside
|
|   }\citeright}
|
| \edef\@zero@skip{\the\z@skip}
`----

I am not too good with raw LaTeX, so could somebody please assist? I have
tried many things already, all in vain.

Many thanks in advance,

Roy
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=atvert

> The corresponding file called cite.sty contains:

How do you input cite.sty in your document? Do you use
\usepackage{cite}?

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
 Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:
>Greetings, group. A confernece has provided everyone with a template that
>does not seem to work with my LaTeX installation, not even the example TeX
>file. When running pdflatex, I get the following for each occurence of
>citation in the text:
>
>,----[ Quote ]
>| ! You can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode.
>| \@cite ...r \ifx \@tempa \@zero@skip \spacefactor
>|                                                 1001 \fi \par \ifnum
>| \spac...
>| l.124 ...ist of references: Journal~\cite{bulpitt}
>`----
>
>The corresponding file called cite.sty contains:
>
>,----[  ]
>| \def\@cite#1#2{\leavevmode
>|
>|   \@tempskipa\lastskip \edef\@tempa{\the\@tempskipa}\unskip
>|
>|   \ifnum\lastpenalty=\z@ \penalty\@highpenalty \fi
>|
>|  \ifx\@tempa\@zero@skip \spacefactor1001 \fi % if no space before, set flag
>|
>|   \ifnum\spacefactor>\@m \ \else \hskip\@tempskipa \fi
>|
>|   \citeleft{#1\if@tempswa \citemid #2\fi
>|
>|   \spacefactor\@m % punctuation in note doesn't affect outside
>|
>|   }\citeright}
>|
>| \edef\@zero@skip{\the\z@skip}
>`----
>
>I am not too good with raw LaTeX, so could somebody please assist? I have
>tried many things already, all in vain.

looks like that copy of cite.sty has a blank line in between any two
lines of text.  if that's really the case, it would explain the
problem, since you'ld go into vertical mode after the \leavevmode on
the first line of the macro.

remove those blank lines (actually, all blank lines) in the copy of
cite.sty
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> Greetings, group. A confernece has provided everyone with a template that
> does not seem to work with my LaTeX installation, not even the example TeX
> file. When running pdflatex, I get the following for each occurence of
> citation in the text:
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | ! You can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode.
> | \@cite ...r \ifx \@tempa \@zero@skip \spacefactor
> |                                                 1001 \fi \par \ifnum
> | \spac...
> | l.124 ...ist of references: Journal~\cite{bulpitt}
> `----
>
> The corresponding file called cite.sty contains:
>
> ,----[  ]
> | \def\@cite#1#2{\leavevmode
> |
> |   \@tempskipa\lastskip \edef\@tempa{\the\@tempskipa}\unskip
> |
> |   \ifnum\lastpenalty=\z@ \penalty\@highpenalty \fi
> |
> |  \ifx\@tempa\@zero@skip \spacefactor1001 \fi % if no space before, set flag
> |
> |   \ifnum\spacefactor>\@m \ \else \hskip\@tempskipa \fi
> |
> |   \citeleft{#1\if@tempswa \citemid #2\fi
> |
> |   \spacefactor\@m % punctuation in note doesn't affect outside
> |
> |   }\citeright}
> |
> | \edef\@zero@skip{\the\z@skip}
> `----
>
> I am not too good with raw LaTeX, so could somebody please assist? I have
> tried many things already, all in vain.

Maybe the problem is just in the style file line endings.
Try to remove all occurrences of <return><return>; sometimes this
happens when transferring files from MS-DOS systems.

Ciao
Enrico
0
gregorio (1367)
3/24/2006 1:28:11 PM
__/ [ Ulrike Fischer ] on Friday 24 March 2006 13:15 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>  schrieb:
>
>> Greetings, group. A confernece has provided everyone with a template
>> that does not seem to work with my LaTeX installation, not even the
>> example TeX file. When running pdflatex, I get the following for each
>> occurence of citation in the text:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| ! You can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode.
>>| \@cite ...r \ifx \@tempa \@zero@skip \spacefactor
>
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=atvert
>
>> The corresponding file called cite.sty contains:
>
> How do you input cite.sty in your document? Do you use
> \usepackage{cite}?

The TeX file contains the following in the preamble:

        \documentclass{miuaproc}

miuaproc.cls contains

        \RequirePackage{cite}

I tried adding "\usepackage{cite}" to the TeX, but it will not compile:

,----[ Error ]
| ! You can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode.
| \@cite ...\if@tempswa \citemid #2\fi \spacefactor
|                                              \@m }\citeright
| l.126 ...ist of references: Journal~\cite{bulpitt}
`----

My bet is that they only test their kit with a Wintendo. *frown*

Thanks for the suggestion,

Roy
0
newsgroups3 (79677)
3/24/2006 2:12:25 PM
__/ [ Robin Fairbairns ] on Friday 24 March 2006 13:16 \__

>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:
>>Greetings, group. A confernece has provided everyone with a template that
>>does not seem to work with my LaTeX installation, not even the example TeX
>>file. When running pdflatex, I get the following for each occurence of
>>citation in the text:
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| ! You can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode.
>>| \@cite ...r \ifx \@tempa \@zero@skip \spacefactor
>>|                                                 1001 \fi \par \ifnum
>>| \spac...
>>| l.124 ...ist of references: Journal~\cite{bulpitt}
>>`----
>>
>>The corresponding file called cite.sty contains:
>>
>>,----[  ]
>>| \def\@cite#1#2{\leavevmode
>>|
>>|   \@tempskipa\lastskip \edef\@tempa{\the\@tempskipa}\unskip
>>|
>>|   \ifnum\lastpenalty=\z@ \penalty\@highpenalty \fi
>>|
>>|  \ifx\@tempa\@zero@skip \spacefactor1001 \fi % if no space before, set
>>|  flag
>>|
>>|   \ifnum\spacefactor>\@m \ \else \hskip\@tempskipa \fi
>>|
>>|   \citeleft{#1\if@tempswa \citemid #2\fi
>>|
>>|   \spacefactor\@m % punctuation in note doesn't affect outside
>>|
>>|   }\citeright}
>>|
>>| \edef\@zero@skip{\the\z@skip}
>>`----
>>
>>I am not too good with raw LaTeX, so could somebody please assist? I have
>>tried many things already, all in vain.
>
> looks like that copy of cite.sty has a blank line in between any two
> lines of text.  if that's really the case, it would explain the
> problem, since you'ld go into vertical mode after the \leavevmode on
> the first line of the macro.
>
> remove those blank lines (actually, all blank lines) in the copy of
> cite.sty

I now notice that the site adds: "We recommend that you download the zip
archive, as this will give you all the files listed above. When unzipping
onto a computer running Unix or Linux, ensure that text files are converted
from Dos format to Unix format."

This was rather frustrating...

Thanks for the help,

Roy
0
newsgroups3 (79677)
3/24/2006 2:18:28 PM
__/ [ Enrico Gregorio ] on Friday 24 March 2006 13:28 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings, group. A confernece has provided everyone with a template that
>> does not seem to work with my LaTeX installation, not even the example TeX
>> file. When running pdflatex, I get the following for each occurence of
>> citation in the text:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | ! You can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode.
>> | \@cite ...r \ifx \@tempa \@zero@skip \spacefactor
>> |                                                 1001 \fi \par \ifnum
>> | \spac...
>> | l.124 ...ist of references: Journal~\cite{bulpitt}
>> `----
>>
>> The corresponding file called cite.sty contains:
>>
>> ,----[  ]
>> | \def\@cite#1#2{\leavevmode
>> |
>> |   \@tempskipa\lastskip \edef\@tempa{\the\@tempskipa}\unskip
>> |
>> |   \ifnum\lastpenalty=\z@ \penalty\@highpenalty \fi
>> |
>> |  \ifx\@tempa\@zero@skip \spacefactor1001 \fi % if no space before, set
>> |  flag
>> |
>> |   \ifnum\spacefactor>\@m \ \else \hskip\@tempskipa \fi
>> |
>> |   \citeleft{#1\if@tempswa \citemid #2\fi
>> |
>> |   \spacefactor\@m % punctuation in note doesn't affect outside
>> |
>> |   }\citeright}
>> |
>> | \edef\@zero@skip{\the\z@skip}
>> `----
>>
>> I am not too good with raw LaTeX, so could somebody please assist? I have
>> tried many things already, all in vain.
>
> Maybe the problem is just in the style file line endings.
> Try to remove all occurrences of <return><return>; sometimes this
> happens when transferring files from MS-DOS systems.
>
> Ciao
> Enrico

Hi Enrico,

Please see my follow-up to Robin. In the year 2006, we apparently still
suffer from people's unawareness of inter-operability. *sigh*

Many, many thanks,

Roy
0
newsgroups3 (79677)
3/24/2006 2:20:05 PM
Roy Schestowitz schrieb:

> I now notice that the site adds: "We recommend that you download the zip
> archive, as this will give you all the files listed above. When unzipping
> onto a computer running Unix or Linux, ensure that text files are converted
> from Dos format to Unix format."
>
> This was rather frustrating...

Try

  unzip -a archive.zip

....Rolf
__/ [ Rolf Niepraschk ] on Friday 24 March 2006 17:11 \__

> Roy Schestowitz schrieb:
>>
>> I now notice that the site adds: "We recommend that you download the zip
>> archive, as this will give you all the files listed above. When unzipping
>> onto a computer running Unix or Linux, ensure that text files are
>> converted from Dos format to Unix format."
>>
>> This was rather frustrating...
>>

> Try
>
>   unzip -a archive.zip
>
> ...Rolf

I ended up using dos2unix. This entire encoding issue cost me at least half
an hour. Why can't people use impartial formats or at least provide
alternative files? *sigh*

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux     �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

How come I can't use 'sqrt' and 'fabs'?
Hi, group, When I compile my code, the error message are: "error C2668: 'fabs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function" "error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function" I already add the math library, what does this error mean? Thanks. Vol. Vol wrote: > Hi, group, > When I compile my code, the error message are: > "error C2668: 'fabs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function" > "error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function" > > I already add the math library, what does this...

Can't cd , can't use wildcard
Hi , I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whenever I try to "cd" into some of the directories(which exist), I get an "Invalid directory". I can use to get into few of the directories(using cd) but for other it just says "Invalid directory". Moreover, I can't use any wildcard characters..(*, ? etc) at all.. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks Arun On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:13:52 GMT, Arun Goel <arun.goel@sbcglobal.net> wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc: > Hi , > > I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whene...

Can't "click through" Static Text even with 'HitTest' set to 'off'?
I've got a GUI with some static text labels that I created in an .m file using the uicontrol() function. I made sure upon creation to set 'HitTest' to 'off'. I can check the controls after the fact, and indeed they all have 'HitTest' set to 'off'. However, I have a ButtonDownFcn call for the entire figure (I'm trying to tell when the user clicks on a specific piece of static text, but the text controls are generated dynamicall). If the user clicks on the figure background, the function executes properly. However, when the static text controls ...

Can't use my //e because I can't get any software for it
Here's my problem. I have an Apple //e, but I have absolutely no software for it. I have an older Mac. All of the images I have found are 5.25" and I can't write those back to the floppy using the Mac (or a PC for that matter). I don't have a null modem, but that doesn't matter because I don't have any comm software. Basically I have no way to get anything onto a bootable floppy. Now, if I could find a bootable image of a 3.5" disk I would be in business, but everything is in 5.25" format. Would an emaulator be able to create a bootable 3.5" di...

Can't use 'sum function'
noise = [1,2,0,3,0,0,0,4]; a = sum(noise) when I execute this I get: ??? Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or logicals. Error in ==> test3>haps at 22 a = sum(noise) Error in ==> test3 at 5 C = haps(2); >> what is wrong?? JOhs On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:20:16 +0200, Johs32 wrote: > noise = [1,2,0,3,0,0,0,4]; > a = sum(noise) > > when I execute this I get: > > ??? Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or logicals. > > Error in ==> test3>haps at 22 > a = sum(noise) > > Error in ==> ...

Can't Use OnCurrent Event / Can't Find Macro
I have run into a sudden problem and thought I'd see if anyone else has ran into this. Out of nowhere (sort-of) I am not able to access the OnCurrent event on a subform. I, of course, can write code for the event, but [Event Procedure] under OnCurrent does not show up on the properties of the subform, and the event does not fire. When this problem happened, it seems to have also generated an error while changing records in the Main Form. The error is "...can't find the macro ".". At least I think their related...both started at the same time. I have never used a macro...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal''''''''''''''
Hello fellow programmers, I am trying to run an append/update query from code, a command button on a form initiates the queries. the format i am using is; _____________________________________________________ SELECT "criteria" FROM "criteria" WHERE "criteria" UPDATE/APPEND "field selections" RecordSource "qryExample" = above text strings" _______________________________________________________________________ When i am running a SELECT query in this manner it works fine with no problems, and accepts the values of specified linked for...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wron...

Why can't we 'tformfwd' a cp2tform(..., 'polynomial')
Hi, Just as an example: This is allowed xybase = reshape(randn(12,1),6,2); t_affine = cp2tform(xybase,xybase,'affine'); [x,y] = tformfwd(t_affine,xybase,xybase); but this t_poly = cp2tform(xybase,xybase,'polynomial',2); [x,y] = tformfwd(t_poly,xybase,xybase); gives an error "Function TFORMFWD expected T's forward_fcn field to be non- empty." I checked the code a bit and indeed, with the 'polynomial' case, the findPolynomialTransform() function has at its end trans = maketform('custom',2,2,[],@inv_polynomial,[A B]); wher...

Can't get past 'use strict' :(
Here I go again: the following code: while(my $line = <DIRLIST>) { my $dir_list[$i] = $line; chomp($dir_list[$i]); $i++; } produces this error: syntax error at ./backup.pl line 24, near "$dir_list[" when i use "use strict". I read Programming Perl's chapter on strict, but I can't get this thing working :(. -- _______ Karlo Lozovina - Mosor | | |.-----.-----. | || _ | _ | Na osami blizu mora, dok se sunce zemlji smije |__|_|__||_____|_____| Balun gledat, ...

Can I use LabVIEW to load data directly into system memory? The serial card I'm using isn't supported by NI nor does VISA recognize it. I'm using a Win32 function to read the data from the card
Can I use LabVIEW to load data directly into system memory from a VI? The serial card I'm using isn't supported by NI nor does VISA recognize it. I'm using a&nbsp;Call Library&nbsp;function to read the data from the card and now I want it to go directly to system memory. The data is being received at 1Mbps. &nbsp; Thanks 1.You will most likely crash your system trying to write meg's/sec of data to system memory. LabVIEW has it's own memory manager and manages data for you. If you getting data to LabVIEW, I hope for the processinfg purposes. You didn't menti...

can 'train' be used with 'newpnn'
Can we use the 'train' command of the NN toolbox to train a neural network obtained from a PNN model, similar to the way we would train a network obtained from using newff? for example, let us say I have inputs and targets and I can use newpnn command to generate network parameters from the PNN model as follows P = [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]; Tc = [1 2 3 2 2 3 1]; T = ind2vec(Tc) net = newpnn(P,T); can this 'net' obtained as an output from newpnn be trained using the train command like net.trainFcn = 'trainbfg'; net.trainParam.epochs = 1000; net.trainParam.goal = ...

using 'kill -9' can't kill the process
Hi: On my AIX 4.3.1, I can see some processes with the name "[]", and their parent process is 1. I using 'kill -9' can't kill them. If they used the resouse of the pty, then the pty can't be used. how can I deal with them? Thanks cheng wrote: > Hi: > On my AIX 4.3.1, I can see some processes with the name "[]", and their > parent process is 1. I using 'kill -9' can't kill them. If they used the > resouse of the pty, then the pty can't be used. how can I deal with them? Actually, they're already dead, and the exit s...

Can't locate module despite 'use lib'
As an experiment in module creation I have the following script, 'ex.pl': #!/usr/bin/perl -wT use strict; use lib qw(/home/zarg/pl); use Ex; begin_now(); --------------------- Ex.pm is located in /home/zarg/pl with mode 644: package Ex; use Exporter; @ISA = ("Exporter"); @EXPORT = qw(&begin_now); use strict; use CGI qw(:cgi); sub begin_now { print header, '<h1>Here goes</h1>'; } 1; ------------------------- When accessing ex.pl via the browser I get the error: "Can't locate Ex.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /home/zarg/pl .... BEGIN fai...

Web resources about - Can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode - comp.text.tex