Cannot get PiCTeX to process an example file.

Hi All,

I bought the PiCTeX manual from PCTeX and copied the LaTeX code (see below)
from page 71 of the manual.
I guarantee there are no typos in my copying.

I also bought the LaTeX CD from TeXnicCenter and use PiCTeX which came on
that CD.

When I run the code below through the LaTeX compiler from TeXnicCenter I get
the errors:

! Undefined control sequence.   <argument> \fiverm        l.2566
\setplotsymbol({\fiverm .})
! Undefined control sequence.   <argument> \fiverm        l.3102
\setshadesymbol ({\fiverm .})
! Undefined control sequence.   \ninepoint

I have used TeXnicCenter to produce 22 pages of mathematics so far - it's
great!
I am having a problem with PiCTeX with its own examples.

I would appreciate it if someone who uses PiCTeX could run this through and
see what happens. I also notice a reference to fiverm in prepictex.tex. Any
advice much appreciated.

\documentclass {article}
\input{prepictex}
\input{pictex}
\input{postpictex}
\begin{document}
\beginpicture
\setcoordinatesystem units <.5in,.25in> point at 1.5 -2
\setplotarea x from -2 to 4, y from -3 to 3
\put {$\times$} at 1.5 -2
\ninepoint \normalgraphs \ticksin
\axis bottom shiftedto y=0 ticks numbered at -2 -1 / from 1 to 4 by 1 /
\axis left shiftedto x=0 ticks numbered from -3 to -1 by 1 from 1 to 3 by 1
/
\setdashes <.0625in>
\putrule <0in,.0625in> from 0 3 to 0 4
\putrule <0in,-.0625in> from 0 -3 to 0 -4
\putrule <-.0625in,0in> from -2 0 to -3 0
\putrule <.0625in,0in> from 4 0 to 5 0
\put {$\leftarrow\ \vcenter{\hbox{reference point\strut}}$} [1] <8pt,0pt> at
1.5 -2
\endpicture
\end{document}

The resulting diagram I get is 95% correct. In the output pdf file,
"<-- reference point" is too far to the left.

Cheers,
Brad

Just to add a bit more evidence, I copied another example (below) from the
PiCTeX book (page 61) and got the same error messages.

I know I must be doing something incorrectly and have read everything I can
find - still baffled.

Cheers,
Brad

\documentclass {article}
\input{prepictex}
\input{pictex}
\input{postpictex}
\begin{document}
\beginpicture
\setcoordinatesystem units <.03125in,.25in>
\ninepoint \normalgraphs
\setplotarea x from 0 to 80, y from 0 to 4
\axis left shiftedto x=-5 label {\stack {\%,,,p,e,r,,,c,i,g,a,r,e,t,t,e}}
ticks length <3pt> numbered from 0 to 4 by 1 /
\axis bottom label {Number of cigarettes} ticks length <0pt> numbered at 0
10 20 40 80 / / \plotheading {\lines {\sl Cigarettes smoked per day\cr
(adult males, current smokers, 1964)\cr}}
\sethistograms
\plot 0 0 10 1.5 20 3.5 40 1.5 80 0.5 /
\eightpoint
\put {$(1.5)$} [b] <0pt,3pt> at 5 1.5
\put {$(3.5)$} [b] <0pt,3pt> at 15 3.5
\put {$(1.5)$} [b] <0pt,3pt> at 30 1.5
\put {$(0.5)$} [b] <0pt,3pt> at 60 0.5
\endpicture
\end{document}

Hello,

Brad Cooper wrote:

> I bought the PiCTeX manual from PCTeX and copied the LaTeX code (see
> below) from page 71 of the manual.
> I guarantee there are no typos in my copying.

The code you copied is outdated.

> \documentclass {article}
> \input{prepictex}
> \input{pictex}
> \input{postpictex}

Remove those pictex-related inputs, and replace them by

\usepackage{pictex}

> \begin{document}
> \beginpicture

Better use \begin{picture}...\end{picture}

> \setcoordinatesystem units <.5in,.25in> point at 1.5 -2
> \setplotarea x from -2 to 4, y from -3 to 3
> \put {$\times$} at 1.5 -2
> \ninepoint \normalgraphs \ticksin

\ninepoint is not defined, replace by e.g. \small.

> \axis bottom shiftedto y=0 ticks numbered at -2 -1 / from 1 to 4 by 1
> / \axis left shiftedto x=0 ticks numbered from -3 to -1 by 1 from 1 to
> 3 by 1 /
> \setdashes <.0625in>
> \putrule <0in,.0625in> from 0 3 to 0 4
> \putrule <0in,-.0625in> from 0 -3 to 0 -4
> \putrule <-.0625in,0in> from -2 0 to -3 0
> \putrule <.0625in,0in> from 4 0 to 5 0
> \put {$\leftarrow\ \vcenter{\hbox{reference point\strut}}$} [1]
> <8pt,0pt> at 1.5 -2

This is all TeX syntax, while it should work, there are LaTeX commands
which might be easier to type.

> The resulting diagram I get is 95% correct. In the output pdf file,
> "<-- reference point" is too far to the left.

Can't help you on that problem, because you have not told exactly how it
should look like, how far it is displaced.

Last year the package pict2e has been implemented, which removes many
restrictions of the original pictex.

Cheers,

Bernd

1
strieder (168)
1/25/2005 9:19:21 AM
 Bernd Strieder <strieder@informatik.uni-kl.de> writes:
>[lots of useful advice]
>
>Last year the package pict2e has been implemented, which removes many
>restrictions of the original pictex.

no: pict2e is a replacement for latex picture mode (and a great relief
it is, too).  pictex remains in splendid isolation.  :-{
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
"Brad Cooper" <Brad.Cooper_17@bigpond.com> writes:

> ! Undefined control sequence.   <argument> \fiverm        l.2566
> \setplotsymbol({\fiverm .})

That is a font name from LaTeX 2.09 (or perhaps plain TeX).

> \input{prepictex}
> \input{pictex}
> \input{postpictex}

So they are not LaTeX sty files at all but designed for plain TeX.

Look for a pictex.sty that inputs the pictex .tex files into a
LaTeX document sensibly.

Otherwise, declare

\DeclareFixedFont{\fiverm}{OT1}{cmr}{m}{n}{5}

(look at "texdoc fntguide")

Or even short-cut it:
\font\fiverm=cmr5

--