caption positioning

Hi all,

I hope somebody can help me with this one:

I have a two-column article. In the text, a figure fills up the whole
right column  (height=\textheight)
Of course, the caption is under the image, thus too low...

Now I want to position the caption at the base of the column left of the
figure.

So I put this somewhere in the text of the left column:

\begin{figure}[b]
\caption{...} \label{number of the image}
\end{figure}

However, it shows up at the base of the next page...

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Davy

How to position CAPTION text in @... get listbox ...
How does one control the position of the text for the CAPTION in a @... GET ... LISTBOX command? Thanks, Ted "Ted" <ted.kobayashi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1189708588.978499.87430@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com... > How does one control the position of the text for the CAPTION in a > @... GET ... LISTBOX command? > > Thanks, > > Ted > Hi Ted, You only need to send the CapRow and CapCol where you want the caption to be located. However, there appears to be an error in xHarbour. Try the following program and you will see that it has some strange b...

How can I set the caption text of picture controls inside an array or how can I choose which array element is assigned using the array elements caption text property.
I have 8 picture controls inside an array and I would like to set the caption text of these controls. I have used the property node of the array and used the array elements property caption text to set the text. &nbsp; The problem is however that&nbsp;I set the same text to all the picture controls inside the array. My question is how to set caption text of specific elements (Picture control) that I have so far only been able to access using the array elements caption text property. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Some more help &nbsp; 1 You could use the caption of the array and...

Change caption label text with caption package
Hi, I couldnt make out how to modify the label caption text while using the caption (caption2) package. At the moment, my captionsetup looks like this: \DeclareCaptionLabelSeparator{period-newline}{\newline} \captionsetup{singlelinecheck=true, width=0.9\textwidth, justification=raggedright, labelfont={bf,small}, labelsep=endash, textfont={small}, format=hang} I would be thankful for any help. regards, matthias ...

Delete text after a known position in a text file
I want to delete all text after the word "lib\" in a line of a text field. IDMLIB=C:\PROGRA~1\Novadigm\Lib\ How can I make $_ all text behind the last back slash? Then I would be able to do s/$_//. Or is there a better way? "Oliver S?der" <osoeder@gmx.de> wrote in message news:45c6c8e6.0409170156.2690bed2@posting.google.com... > I want to delete all text after the word "lib\" in a line of a text > field. > IDMLIB=C:\PROGRA~1\Novadigm\Lib\ > > How can I make $_ all text behind the last back slash? Then I would be > able to do s/$_//. Or is...

Tkinter.Text widget
Is it possible to get position (in numbers) of the insertion cursor? As I understood, Text widget uses mark named INSERT to store it, which is available globally by just referencing INSERT, but how could I get actual coordinate numbers of the mark? I need this because I want not just to insert string at, but to examine text before and after the insertion cursor. I can probably use .get() to extract the halves of text before and after cursor, but it'd be better just to know the position. Thanks ...

text-text

The Positioning of Captions
I'm ignorant, but would love to know... is there a readability reason (or, what is the reason) why it is tradition that the captions for tables should go on top of the table and the captions for figures should go at the bottom of them? I have not found the answer in the booktabs manual; though it does give some very good advice on why tables are set out the way they are (no vertical lines and so on). Thanks again in advance for your time! -- M. Tylee Atkinson <M.T.Atkinson@lboro.ac.uk> M. Tylee Atkinson wrote: > I'm ignorant, but would love to know... is there a readability reason > (or, what is the reason) why it is tradition that the captions for > tables should go on top of the table and the captions for figures should > go at the bottom of them? > > I have not found the answer in the booktabs manual; though it does give > some very good advice on why tables are set out the way they are (no > vertical lines and so on). > > Thanks again in advance for your time! > > It might come from whenever one uses tables that spans several pages, then it gets annoying that the caption is at the end instead of at the beginning. Figures rarely span more than one page so ... -- /daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address) LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish) Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/...

Position of Text
Hi All, Consider two different approaches of adding a text string on a figure 1. "Insert"->"TextBox". 2. gtext or text(x, y, string) It is found that in approach 1, the text added always stay in the same position no matter how I zoom the figure, but not the case for approach 2. Can anyone explain? What I want is adding a text on a figure by approach 2 but need it always stay in the same position. Thanks, cfy30 cfy30 wrote: > Hi All, > > Consider two different approaches of adding a text string on a > figure > 1. "Insert"->"T...

How to make text boxes keep their relative position as text is added to them?

Captions and text.
Sometimes my documents render in such a way that it's not always clear where the caption ends and the text resumes. Is there some standard way of making sure they're distinct? Like margins, font, size, spacing? -- "Let us learn to dream, gentlemen, then perhaps we shall find the truth... But let us beware of publishing our dreams before they have been put to the proof by the waking understanding." -- Friedrich August Kekul� On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 22:02:18 +0000 (UTC), glhansen@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote: > >Sometimes my documents render in such a way that it's not always clear >where the caption ends and the text resumes. Is there some standard way >of making sure they're distinct? Like margins, font, size, spacing? You could try the caption package. The documentation gives several examples on different looking captions. Chris In article <noo1r0te9s7090s3pikeoq1644g04h52c0@4ax.com>, Christian Auner <mca@nurfuerspam.de> wrote: >On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 22:02:18 +0000 (UTC), >glhansen@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote: > >> >>Sometimes my documents render in such a way that it's not always clear >>where the caption ends and the text resumes. Is there some standard way >>of making sure they're distinct? Like margins, font, size, spacing? > >You could try the caption package. The documentation gives several >examples on different lookin...

Text positioning
Hi, I'd like to put text on a series of figures in standard, legend-like locations (NorthWest corner for example). Is there a way I can easily get the x and y coordinates for the standard legend positions easily in order to feed into the text command? Thanks! ...

text + text

Positioning an absolutely positioned div in relation to body text.... (I just want to make sure)
Hello, I have body text in a container division, nothing weird or unusual. I am providing glossary definitions for some words, as hidden absolutley-positioned divs which show on clicking the particular word. At the moment I am positioning the absolutely-positioned hide/show 'definition div' somewhere near to the word in question when body text is at its standard size. However, obviously, if someone increases or decreases the text size, the definition will no longer be positioned so close to the word. I have assumed that there is no way to determine the actual (pixel)...

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly is: \expandafter\ifx\csname pmn@scaled\endcsname\relax \let\pmn@scaled\@empty \else \edef\pmn@scaled{s*[1.2]}% \fi I think what this says is "if pnm@scaled is not defined (case 1), leave it empty, otherwise set it to "s[1.2]". But the else clause is not working correctly, and I don't know how to differentiate between "defined by keyval but with no value" and "defined by keyval but with a value". Also I'm pretty sure I don't really know the difference between \let and \edef. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. JDO john_owens@yahoo.com schrieb: > I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble > getting the right behavior, which is: > > If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a > variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". > ...

Rendering text more than once in the same position
Why is it that the text appears smudged when you use drawString() to render the same text in the same position twice or more without clearing the background? I would have thought that it's the exact same pixels affected and therefore the text would still look as sharp as if it were only rendered once. I am suspecting it has something to do with antialiasing. Correct? -- And loving it, -Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct) _________________________________________________ Qu0llSixFour@gmail.com [Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me] In article <4927bbf2$0$7520$5a62...

Position text cursor
Hello all, I have a simple problem but can't find the answer. I want to move the text cursor in a xterm window. I actually just want to keep writing over the same spot over and over again with out clearing the screen. So i look up stuff on the internet and i see mvcur() and move that are included in curses.h and ncurses.h I include the files, when I go to compile i get errors of undefined identifiers mvcurs or move. So can someone please help me out? I am developing on Redhat 7.3 using kdevelop. thanks for your time. Joseph Suprenant wrote: > Hello all, > I have a simple p...

Position text in GUI
1. How can I put string "A" under the radio button? not on its side. 2. How Can I make the text be vertical? Thanks. % ----- a = figure('units','pixels','position',[300 300 200 100],... 'menubar','none','name','Test','numbertitle','off','resize','off'); b = uicontrol('Style','Radio','String','A','pos',[20 20 60 60]); ...

Position of text in book
I am producing a book and find that, with the 'book' style and the default options 'twoside' and 'openright', the text is shifted on each page, apparently to allow for part of the left or right margin that is taken by binding. However, the way the text is shifted seems to be the wrong way round! For example, on the very first page, the text is shifted to the left leaving a wider margin on the right, and on the second page (which is the other side of the same sheet), the text is shifted to the right leaving a wider margin on the left ... and so on. If the spin is of the book is on the left when you first open it, then surely the first page should have its wider margin on the left? Any comments or suggestions about this will be very welcome. With thanks, Gerry Gerry wrote: > I am producing a book and find that, with the 'book' style and the > default options 'twoside' and 'openright', the text is shifted on each > page, apparently to allow for part of the left or right margin that is > taken by binding. > > However, the way the text is shifted seems to be the wrong way round! You may be looking at a page which you think is the first but which LaTeX doesn't think so. The doublesided output shifts text rightwards on odd-numbered pages and leftwards on even-numbered pages, because odd-numbered pages are always right-hand pages. If your page-numbering gets hosed, LaTeX may be confused. ...

Precise positioning of the text.
Hi, I am working through the Help files in search of how to control precise positioning of the text entities in the title block. I am talking about Drawing N�, Description, Dates, Author, e.t.c. So far - no dice. Could anyone point me into the right direction, please? Thanks in advance, Igor. -- To reply please use igor@iinet.net.au address Igor Mironenko wrote: > Hi, > I am working through the Help files in search of how to control precise > positioning of the text entities in the title block. I am talking about > Drawing N�, Description, Dates, Author, e.t.c. So far - n...

Positioning text in subplots
Hi I have written a scripts to produces subplots of monthly data with each subplot showing a weeks worth of data. However I want to have a text label (no x-label). Below each x axis with the month name. At the moment i am positioning it by putting it a certain distance from the min x axis value (min(t)+40) and a certain distance (lp) below the min y axis value based on a ratio I calculated between the minimum y axis value and the required distance below the min y value....... h1 = xlabel([num2str(monthname),' ',num2str(year)]); set(h1,'Position',[min(t)+40 lp]); Ho...

Text position in EditField
I have a simple one line EditField that contains a clients name in 96point. The name changes from client to client (obviously) and some of them have accented letters that disappear outside the top of the EditField. Is it possible to force the alignment of the letters down in the EditField so that they always appear inside? many thanks m In article <GrqdnePV4pZ9iajYnZ2dnUVZ8tednZ2d@bt.com>, "Malcolm Wooden" <mwooden@dtptypes.com> wrote: > I have a simple one line EditField that contains a clients name in 96point. > The name changes from clie...

position of text on image
Hi, I guess I am missing something. I tried to put a caption on my photo (on the bottom) but the caption appears to be a bit higher and overshooting the area of the image with a few pix. You can see it on: http://www.roderik.net/caption.php Any idea btw. whether some standard JS framework provides a function for slide in caption as you can see on the images of: http://www.guardian.co.uk/ -- http://www.archytas.nl/ webdesign, internet applicaties, internetgestuurde elektronica In article <48b43f42$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Roderik <r.emmerink@ti...

Text position in a plot
Can I fix the position of the text in a plot at the bottom of the plot (like when using 'Northeast' for the legend)? ...

Text Object Positioning
Hello I could really use some help with the PDF text object. The reference manual explanation is clear as dirt in terms of implementing the text object in any real way.. What I am trying to accomplish is setting the custom positioning and dimensions of a line of text. Would someone please give me an example of what the pdf code would look like if I were to specify X, Y, Height, and Width for a line of text. Thanks muchly! Andrew For example: This is what I have now.... 8 0 obj << /Length 9 0 R >> stream BT /F1 6.75 Tf 1 0 0 1 50 752 Tm 8.1 TL T* (---My text goes here-...

Web resources about - caption positioning - comp.text.tex

GNSS positioning calculation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The global navigation satellite system (GNSS) positioning for receiver's position is derived through the calculation steps, or algorithm, given ...

How Facebook Is Positioning Its Upcoming Video Ads Vs. Television, YouTube
Facebook appears to have embraced the strategy of keeping its friends close and its enemies closer when it comes to television , rolling out ...

Facebook Positioning Its Ad Products in 3 Classes
Forrester’s Jeremiah Owyang recently caught up with Facebook’s Director of Monetization Tim Kendall, who spoke about the different ways Facebook ...

How an atomic clocks works, and its use in the global positioning system (GPS) - YouTube
Bill shows the world's smallest atomic clock and then describes how the first one made in the 1950s worked. He describes in detail the use of ...

Positioning for a recession? Short the banks
Kima Capital portfolio manager Alex Wallis says Australia is headed into recession, prompting his hedge fund to build short positions in the ...

Value Investor: Positioning for the next mining upturn
Sound acquisitions, combined with an eventual recovery in mining, could trigger a rebound in long-term profitability for this cyclical stock. ...

$A sinks near 1pc on RBA, Fed, ECB positioning
The Australian dollar led a pullback in major currencies versus the greenback, ending down 0.9 per cent in New York on Friday.

need2know: Positioning for a sell-off
Local stocks are poised to open lower as they catch up to Friday’s selling on Wall Street.

Natalegawa positioning for future
Sydney Morning Herald Natalegawa positioning for future The Australian INDONESIAN Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa is engaged in a drawn-out ...

Russia positioning tanks at Syria airfield, US officials say
NBCNews.com Russia positioning tanks at Syria airfield, US officials say ABC Online Russia has positioned about a half dozen tanks at an airfield ...