Captions and text.

Sometimes my documents render in such a way that it's not always clear
where the caption ends and the text resumes.  Is there some standard way
of making sure they're distinct?  Like margins, font, size, spacing?

--
"Let us learn to dream, gentlemen, then perhaps we shall find the
truth... But let us beware of publishing our dreams before they have been

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 22:02:18 +0000 (UTC),
glhansen@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote:

>Sometimes my documents render in such a way that it's not always clear
>where the caption ends and the text resumes.  Is there some standard way
>of making sure they're distinct?  Like margins, font, size, spacing?

You could try the caption package. The documentation gives several
examples on different looking captions.

Chris
0
mca1 (38)
12/3/2004 10:08:18 PM
In article <noo1r0te9s7090s3pikeoq1644g04h52c0@4ax.com>,
Christian Auner  <mca@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 22:02:18 +0000 (UTC),
>glhansen@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote:
>

>>Sometimes my documents render in such a way that it's not always clear
>>where the caption ends and the text resumes.  Is there some standard way
>>of making sure they're distinct?  Like margins, font, size, spacing?
>
>You could try the caption package. The documentation gives several
>examples on different looking captions.
>
>Chris

Wow, there's a package for everything.

But as purely a matter of style rather than implementation, what are the
thoughts on that?

--
"What are the possibilities of small but movable machines?  They may or
may not be useful, but they surely would be fun to make."
Among other things, Gregory L. Hansen wrote:

> Sometimes my documents render in such a way that it's not always clear
> where the caption ends and the text resumes.  Is there some standard way
> of making sure they're distinct?  Like margins, font, size, spacing?

I've used a sans-serif font for captions (serif for normal text, of course)
and something similar to the "ruled" style of the "float" package, which
places rules both above and below the whole float, including caption.

--
     Ignacio __ Fern�ndez Galv�n
            / /\

text + text

text-text

Pages

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

text 2 text

How can I set the caption text of picture controls inside an array or how can I choose which array element is assigned using the array elements caption text property.
I have 8 picture controls inside an array and I would like to set the caption text of these controls. I have used the property node of the array and used the array elements property caption text to set the text. &nbsp; The problem is however that&nbsp;I set the same text to all the picture controls inside the array. My question is how to set caption text of specific elements (Picture control) that I have so far only been able to access using the array elements caption text property. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Some more help &nbsp; 1 You could use the caption of the array and...

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

aligning text and image-text
I use a program to make Email addresses harder for spammers to harvest. It converts them to slightly blurred images using http://mindprod.com/products1.html#MASKER When I embed them in text, I have figured out how to get them to align naturally with the surrounding text, but the browser inserts extra inter-line spacing above the line containing the image. You can see the effect at http://mindprod.com/book/books.html at the bottom of the page where it says: "Please email your feedback for publication, letters to the editor, errors, omissions, typos, formatting errors, ambig...

text field only for text
Hi I would like some help about the following : I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I limit this situation ? So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. TIA Paulo "Paulo Rodrigues" <amigo.alf@netvisao.pt> wrote in message news:<newscache$kgmtmh$bb1$1@newsfront4.netvisao.pt>... > Hi > > I would like some help about the following : > > I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I > limit > this situation ? > > So far, I couldn't...

Fit text in a Text Box
Hello friends, I have a curious doubt, imagine I have a text box, and inside, a text that I dont know the lenght. Depending on the box's size and letter's size, I can fit the box. But the box's size is fixed, so I just can modify the size's letter. How can I be right with letter's size, if I dont know the lenght of string (text)? Is there any simple function for this case? Thanks in advance, greetings. Pedro Moreno On 10-08-31 04:25 PM, pedro moreno wrote: > I have a curious doubt, imagine I have a text box, and inside, a text > that I dont know the lenght. Depe...

Highlighy text in Text Box
Using an InputBox, there is the option to *suggest* text (Default). It appears highlighted and can be accepted or replaced by the user. I am attempting to create my own input form which has one Text Box, one command button (cmdAccept ) and a simple label to tell the user to make an entry. What I cannot do is to mimic that suggested default input string. Can someone show me how to do it? The following code is from a test program with two forms. '#### this is on FrmMain Private Sub Option1_Click() ' Other Event selected - 14 character maximum With FrmBGOther ...

Text disappearing from text fields...
Hello, I'm currently working with a MySQL backend and is trying to use FileMaker 9's Web Form capabilities as a front end. From FileMaker Pro's interface, I have used the ODBC to connect my FileMaker database to my MySQL tables. The schema and existing data records loads into FileMaker without a problem. However, when I'm trying to insert text (VARCHAR and TEXT) data from FileMaker, it blanks out and ends up only inserting a blank into MySQL. Default values set on the MySQL side only take effect if I left that field blank on FileMaker when I create a new record. Default field...

\pubid text overlaps with text
Hello, While using the IEEEtrans file, I put the \pubid{0000--0000/00\$00.00~\copyright~2005} before the \maketitle as directed. However, the body of the text over laps with the pubid text. What I am doing wrong? Thanks. ...

Search for text in a text field
Hi When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many records and then diplay the records which contains the input. Thanks in advance, Luke. There is a function called InStr that will probably do what you require. Cheers, Chris "Luke Jones" <luke_jones_82@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:24bb1508.0407080157.d587c63@posting.google.com... > Hi > > When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input > and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in ...

Text ( unicode ) To Text (ANSI)
Dear Sir, I have a text file ( unicode) i want to transfer this file to text ( Ansi ) by command Read up on MultiByteToWideChar and WideCharToMultiByte http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/Intl/unicode_17si.asp ...

rich text in text field

Text in images to a text file
Hello, Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up on a web site but as text. Darren <bobblebob@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151612491.407262.124690@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com > Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in > images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend > to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up > on a web site but as text....

text file not mac text
please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. I remember 'forked files' but no details...... Is there a II utilty to 'convert' a mac text file to acceptable II ascii text? thanks. cornelio <cornelio@san.rr.com> wrote: > please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII > text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. > I remember 'forked files' but no details...... > > Is there a II utilty to '...

Highlight text in text box
I want to highlight any existing text, in a text box, when I click on it, like when I Tab into the text box. I can't find anything in the help. Any help is appreciated ShyGuy You can use selstart and sellength properties of a textbox in order to select any existing text. In order to select the whole text of textbox01, use, me.textbox01.selstart=0 me.textbox01.sellength=len(nz(me.textbox01)) Regards, Ramesh ShyGuy <shyguy@shytown.com> wrote in message news:<44nhi0d9qnsvdru1lu5l0d3ncuvuqsi39p@4ax.com>... > I want to highlight any existing text, in a text box, when I click on > it, like when I Tab into the text box. I can't find anything in the > help. > > Any help is appreciated > > ShyGuy I tried to send this twice and couldn't figure out why it wasn't showing up. The I checked and realized that it was going to your email address. Don't know why.. anyway... Thank you very much. That works great with my text box. I tried it with a combo box but it didn't work. I tried adding SelText but it still didn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ShyGuy On 23 Aug 2004 01:39:41 -0700, bhandaritwo@yahoo.com (Ramesh Kumar Bhandari) wrote: >You can use selstart and sellength properties of a textbox in order to >select any existing text. In order to select the whole text of >textbox01, use, >me.textbox01.selstart=0 >me.textbox01.sellength=l...

Text Color in Copied Text
I use Mathematica for all my class notes, and occasionally copy things from code editors that use color to highlight different constructs. In an earlier version (probably 5.2) the color highlighting copied over when I pasted it into a Text cell, but now this doesn't happen - all b/w. I don't see any way around this. Any ideas? Thanks, Kevin ...

Flowing text around text
Hi all, Could please someone tell me how to get text flowing around a framed piece of text with colored background? Something like: text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text ----------------------------------------------- text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | | text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | | text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | | text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | | text text text text ----------------------------------------------- text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text except that I am unable to represent colored background in ASCII. :-) Of course, I can always turn the piece of text into a picture and then use some package such as wrapfig to...

Web resources about - Captions and text. - comp.text.tex

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Captions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... conventions (capitalization) . For the style guideline on capitalization generally, see Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Capital letters . A caption ...

Instagram Adds People Tab to Explore Menu, Allows Users to Edit Captions
Instagram released two new features for its iOS and Android applications: Users can now edit their captions , and a people tab was added to the ...

BBC World News - Captions Welcome: Obama meets the Pope - Facebook
Pope Francis (R) and US President Barack Obama shake hands after exchanging gifts during a private audience on March 27, 2014 at the Vatican. ...

Photo Frame Maker HD - Pic Collage + Border Styles, Caption Text Label, Filter Effect, Image Editor on ...
Get Photo Frame Maker HD - Pic Collage + Border Styles, Caption Text Label, Filter Effect, Image Editor on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

Caption Contest: The Force Is Strong With This SCOTUS Justice
What do you get when you cross galactic supervillain Darth Vader with judicial superhero Ruth Bader Ginsburg?

Riffsy’s keyboard app now lets you add captions to GIFs
... still isnt enough for you, then you can now go ahead and add a few more words to your GIF with the newly updated GIF Keyboard by Riffsy . Caption ...

Caption This: Obama Tours Original Shinola Store In Detroit
“Interesting. So this appears to be… um… some sort of excrement?” (Image courtesy of Valerie Jarrett)

Republican debate caption contest time!
Ever wonder what these guys are talking about when the microphones are dead during commercial breaks at the debates? Does this picture make you ...

These Hilarious Captions Lampooning Ludicrous Tech Company Decor Are Simply Perfect
Seriously, what other industry makes its most important decisions while sitting on fake hay bales at Pac-Man tables in pirate-ship themed treehouses? ...

Facebook Releases New Video Ad Features, Including Automated Captions
Plus more research and tips on making the most of video campaigns on Facebook where most visitors are on watching on smartphones. Please visit ...