color.sty, xcolor.sty, pstricks.sty relationship

Here's the situation.

A document, run off on a version of LaTeX about five years old, uses
color.sty and pstricks.sty.  Works fine.

Run off on a current version of LaTeX, it also works fine.  However, the DVI
output is completely different, and when converted to PostScript, the
resulting PS file is also completely different.  The printed output appears
to be the same--but how can I tell for certain?

Also, looking at the LaTeX log shows that color.sty is no longer being
loaded at all.  Has it been subsumed into xcolor.sty?

Finally, looking at the PS files, it appears that one prominent difference
is that where the old file mentions "Black" as a color, the new file
mentions "TeXcolorgray".  What's with that?

0
ark1 (690)

Andrew Koenig wrote:
> Here's the situation.
>
> A document, run off on a version of LaTeX about five years old, uses
> color.sty and pstricks.sty.  Works fine.
>
> Run off on a current version of LaTeX, it also works fine.  However, the DVI
> output is completely different, and when converted to PostScript, the
> resulting PS file is also completely different.  The printed output appears
> to be the same--but how can I tell for certain?
>
> Also, looking at the LaTeX log shows that color.sty is no longer being
> loaded at all.  Has it been subsumed into xcolor.sty?
>
> Finally, looking at the PS files, it appears that one prominent difference
> is that where the old file mentions "Black" as a color, the new file
> mentions "TeXcolorgray".  What's with that?

You want to be sure that the printed output is the same.

But the DVI output is completely different.

Could you, using dvitype, give us examples of the difference?

Can you rerun both versions of the the document?

If so, a hack such as
   \let\@@\special\special
   \def\special#1{\write16{xxx: #1}}
will do three things.

First, it will log all the specials (to console and log file).

Second, it will 'remove' (not put in) the specials from the dvi file.

Third, it will not change the placement of items on the page.

Perhaps, after you perform such a hack, the dvi files will become
identical.

Hope this helps.  This problem is easier with the right tools.

(However, they seem not to have been written yet.)

--
Jonathan

0
jfine (686)
6/24/2005 7:59:26 AM
Andrew Koenig wrote:
> Here's the situation.
>
> A document, run off on a version of LaTeX about five years old, uses
> color.sty and pstricks.sty.  Works fine.
>
> Run off on a current version of LaTeX, it also works fine.  However, the DVI
> output is completely different, and when converted to PostScript, the
> resulting PS file is also completely different.  The printed output appears
> to be the same--but how can I tell for certain?
>
> Also, looking at the LaTeX log shows that color.sty is no longer being
> loaded at all.  Has it been subsumed into xcolor.sty?
>
> Finally, looking at the PS files, it appears that one prominent difference
> is that where the old file mentions "Black" as a color, the new file
> mentions "TeXcolorgray".  What's with that?

color and TeX is a question of its own ...
The new pstricks.sty replaces the pstcol.sty and does
more tests before and after loading pstricks.tex.

You can use \usepackage[noxcolor]{pstricks}, then pstricks
loads the color package, then your dvi should be (nearly)
the same. But xcolor.sty does a better job here.

Herbert

--
http://TeXnik.de/
http://PSTricks.de/
Jonathan Fine wrote:
> If so, a hack such as
>   \let\@@\special\special
>   \def\special#1{\write16{xxx: #1}}
> will do three things.
>
> First, it will log all the specials (to console and log file).
>
> Second, it will 'remove' (not put in) the specials from the dvi file.
>
> Third, it will not change the placement of items on the page.

Just to be a nitpicker, technically that's only two things! Otherwise, I
could say it doesn't make coffee, it doesn't give me vitamins, but most
of all it doesn't make me funny either.

Dave.
0
dreamlax (94)
6/25/2005 5:46:35 AM
David Lloyd Geering wrote:
> Jonathan Fine wrote:
>
>> If so, a hack such as
>>   \let\@@\special\special
>>   \def\special#1{\write16{xxx: #1}}
>> will do three things.
>>
>> First, it will log all the specials (to console and log file).
>>
>> Second, it will 'remove' (not put in) the specials from the dvi file.
>>
>> Third, it will not change the placement of items on the page.
>

> Just to be a nitpicker, technically that's only two things! Otherwise, I
> could say it doesn't make coffee, it doesn't give me vitamins, but most
> of all it doesn't make me funny either.

You're quite write.  Except ...

Software is often written to requirements.  Which says what it does.

So here are the requirements.
1.  Log specials.
2.  Remove specials.
3.  Leave things where they are.

And in this thread, for the OP, (3) is a key requirement.

In my first draft of the quoted post, I wrote 'will do two things'.

Then I realised that I just had to add (3).

--
Jonathan

0
jfine (686)
6/25/2005 6:45:29 AM
"Herbert Voss" <Herbert.Voss@gmx.net> wrote in message

> You can use \usepackage[noxcolor]{pstricks}, then pstricks
> loads the color package, then your dvi should be (nearly)
> the same. But xcolor.sty does a better job here.

That did it; thanks!  The document is monochrome, anyway; so I don't suppose
that xcolor.sty would make any real difference.
Omitting it does, however, make the comparisons work right.

0
ark1 (690)

Color.white vs. Color.WHITE
Way back some AWT colors was predefined as Color.white etc. Then SUN realized this apparent naming style violation and added Color.WHITE etc. As a client application developer I must now choose between the non-standard (and possibly soon-to-be-deprecated) Color.white and the not-backwards-compatible Color.WHITE. I've ended up with new Color (255, 255, 255) instead. Which proves that improvements doesn't always bring the (computing) world forward :-) > Way back some AWT colors was predefined as Color.white etc. > > Then SUN realized this apparent naming style violation ...

Printing overlays in color
I know there are thousands of posts and articles out there on this, but I s= eem to get lost in vast number of ways to do this. What I want to do is find the easiest and most cost effective way to elimin= ate our pre-printed color invoice forms. What I don't want is a 3rd party = software that we get locked into a yearly maintenance contact. =20 We currently use HP printers using Remote OUTQs/LAN and *HPT. I have no pr= oblem creating and using B&W overlays with the Windows AFP drivers. Since = we are on V6R1 I also once tried using a color AFP driver to create the ove= ...

Colored pointers
Sir: Does anyone know if IBM fixed the problem with colored pointers that was there on Warp 4 for MCP2? Was it a video problem or what? Using SnapSE215. -- Bill Thanks a Million! On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:42:08 UTC, "William L. Hartzell" <wlhartzell@comcast.net> wrote: > Sir: > > Does anyone know if IBM fixed the problem with colored pointers that was > there on Warp 4 for MCP2? Was it a video problem or what? Using SnapSE215. Was there a problem? My mouse pointer is golden on my eCS 1.0.3 and eCS 1.1. like it is on my WARP4.0. -- T...

Tektronix Phaser 780 color printer problem
Anyone seen this problem before: http://home.broadpark.no/~iroed/test/a4%20all%20colors%205-5%20test.jpg http://home.broadpark.no/~iroed/test/a4%20black%204-5%20test.jpg http://home.broadpark.no/~iroed/test/a4%20cyan%201-5%20test.jpg http://home.broadpark.no/~iroed/test/a4%20magenta%202-5%20test.jpg http://home.broadpark.no/~iroed/test/a4%20yellow%203-5%20test.jpg could it be the fusor? or is it someting with the imaging unit? the testprint is on A4 sideways. All advise welcome. Regards Frank Hi. What about the paper? Try another-same output? Yes: than... ...

relationships
Hello all, Long time lurker, second post. I have to confess that I'm a complete noob using filemaker, and I'm kind of stuck. I'm trying to create a database that will generate Purchase Orders, and I have the layout set, duplicating the fields on our existing paper copy. I was able to drop the pdf as a background, then drop the fields in the appropriate places. Where I'm stuck now is that we have "clients" and "vendors" contact info, etc. on the form, and I'm trying to make the data autopopulate for each. Example: The client field is either a drop-down or...

Constant function w/ CData-like color mapping
Hi! I need to plot a horizontal line (i.e., a constant function) where the color varies (in discrete segments) along the line (e.g., from (x0,1)->(x1,1) green, from (x1,1)->(x2,1) red, (x2,1)->(x3,1) back to green, (x3,1)->(x4,1) blue, etc.) in such a way that it indicates the value of a discretely-varying third data vector. I've almost figured out how to do it using surf, mapping the "z" coord. to CData, and setting the View to [180,90], but the edge obscures the view of the face (both w/ the edge's alpha set to 1, of course, but also set to 0). Is there a way...

2 colored and 256 color images
What is the difference between 2 colored and 256 color images? I wanted to save the black and white images in 2 color and color images in 256 colors in tiff format. please let me know the difference <jayu.gm@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1192174877.431664.80780@t8g2000prg.googlegroups.com... > What is the difference between 2 colored and 256 color images? > I wanted to save the black and white images in 2 color and color > images in 256 colors in tiff format. > please let me know the difference > Well 2 colours will have just that. No intermediate gray's so goo...

Re: CTAN submission --- mempatch.sty
Peter Wilson writes: > I have uploaded memupdate.tar (which contains README and > mempatch.sty) to UK incoming. Please use these to replace the README > and mempatch.sty in macros/latex/contrib/memoir. > > This is a minor patch for the memoir class to cater for the use of > \linespread. i've installed the files: thanks for the upload. Robin Fairbairns For the CTAN team ...

Color bar colors not matching Image colors
Hi all, I'm having trouble getting colors in a 2D data array to agree with my color= bar range. How can I set a Min and Max value for colors in an image without= requiring the data be scaled to use the whole range? i.e. My color bar goes from -500 (blue) to 500 (red) and the values in the = field only range between 100 and 400. How do I set the colors in the field = to match their corresponding colors in the colorbar? I know they are not cu= rrently corresponding because I am getting blue colors in field even though= there are no negative values. I tried setting Min =3D -5...

Re: color legend
Needs["PlotLegends`"] ShowLegend[ ArrayPlot[ Table[5./(1 + x^2 + y^2), {x, -5, 5}, {y, -5, 5}], Frame -> None, ColorFunction -> Function[{a}, RGBColor[1 - a, 1 - a, 1 - a]]], {Function[{a}, RGBColor[a, a, a]], 11, " 5", " 0", LegendPosition -> {1.1, -0.4}}] Bob Hanlon ---- eric g <eric.phys@gmail.com> wrote: ============= Hello Group, I want to add a color grayscale (myColorFunction[x_]:=RGBColor[1-x,1-x,1-x]) legend this arrayplot, from min (white) to max (dark) values. ArrayPlot[Table[5...

VirtualVCR captures color video in mono!!!
I'm experimenting with VVCR v 2.6.9, Hauppauge Win TV capture device, nForce audio, 720x480, YUY2, 29.97, Huffy 2.1.1, no filters, PCM audio. The problem is that color video is captured in monocolor. From the VVCR Intro "You will also need a video capture card or device that Virtual VCR can use to capture with. WDM drivers work best with Virtual VCR, VFW drivers may work but will more than likely have problems." I installed WDM driver, obtained from the Hauppauge web site, but am not sure if that's what it is using. From Con Pan | Sounds and MM Props, both t...

Printing Color Drop Caps
Sir: I got a one page document that has three drop caps on it in RED. But when I print the page, the drop caps are all black. Can someone tell me how to get the drop caps in red. And yes, the color ink cartridge is new and work on a previous photo document. -- Bill Thanks a Million! Suddenly, William L. Hartzell sprang forth and uttered these pithy words: > Sir: > > I got a one page document that has three drop caps on it in RED. But > when I print the page, the drop caps are all black. Can someone tell me > how to get the drop caps in red. And yes, the color ink...

Changing colors of UNIVARIATE graphs
When using UNIVARIATE (Distribution Analysis) to generate statistical charts is there a way to edit the foreground/background colors. I choose Minimal style, but background and foreground colors are still too dark. Les ...

Relationship problem #2
Hi, I have a table People and a table Adresses where People::ID is related to Adresses::PeopleID. I can import a list of IDs into People::ID and the corresponding adresses are displayed. That's what I want. The People list is "acting as a filter on Adresses". That's fine. Now I also have what I call a "global filter field" in People which I want to link to the City field of Adresses. I want to be able to type in a list of Cities so that the adresses that are displaying because of the People::ID will be refined, based on the contents of the Cities field. I c...

Updating color
I am using trimesh/trisurf to plot some rather large triangulated surfaces. I would like to make changes to the colour data without having to overwrite the entire plot. To avoid confusion, this would be 'C' in the call: >>trimesh(tri,X,Y,Z,C) I imagine the same operation would be applicable to any coloured plot. Is there anything I can do to enable this operation? Cheers, Dave. Dave F wrote: > > > I am using trimesh/trisurf to plot some rather large triangulated > surfaces. I would like to make changes to the colour data without > having to overwrite the enti...

ZHUE coloring
Does anyone know the exact mechanics of color=ZHUE on plot3d? I have a fractal function which returns a period p: 1=convergent, 2=2-cycle, 3-cycle,..., k-cycle, all the way up to 100-cycle. I want to assign meaningful colors to each domain, for example, 1=red, 2=yellow, 3=green, 4=blue, 5=magenta, etc. What should be the final value of the function as a function of p to get some bright distinct colors? I tried log(p*100), and the results are a little better, but not optimal. Many thanks, -- I.N. Galidakis ...

colorspace-faq -- FAQ about Color and Gamma #5
Archive-name: graphics/colorspace-faq Version: 1997-02-27 X-Last-Updated: 1997-02-27 URL: <http://www.inforamp.net/~poynton/Poynton-color.html> Posting-Frequency: monthly colorspace-faq -- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT GAMMA AND COLOR Charles A. Poynton Poynton@Poynton.com <http://www.inforamp.net/~poynton/> Copyright (c) 1997-02-27 In video, computer graphics and image processing the "gamma" symbol represents a numerical parameter that describes the nonlinearity of intensity reproduction. The Gamma FAQ section of this document clarifies aspects of nonlinear ima...

Coloring Bars of Bargraph with specific colors
Hi, I am plotting 1xN matrix as a bar graph and would like to color each bar with it's own color. COLORMAP allows definition of colors for each row/colunm of a multiline matrix, while mine is just one row. FaceColor also targets all values at once. How should I do it? Here's code that plots data %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% data = [-55 -57 -58 -62 -66 -70 -77 -85 -88]; x_step = 1:9; bar_baseline = floor(1.03 * min(data)); figure(10); clf; hold on; BAR_H = barh(x_step, data, 1); plot(data, x_step, '-og'); set(get(BAR_H, 'baseline'), &...

Border-Color?
Hello, I'm using emacs for win32 21.3.1 and got a question regarding color-settings. I set background to color wheat but there is a kind of a border arround the window, between the frame of the window and the text-window with the chosen background-color (or between the text-window and the scrollbar on the right side). How can I choose that color? I tried border-color but it didn't do anything... greetings, Marco >>>>> In <2q81dnFsh62hU1@uni-berlin.de> kodo wrote: > I'm using emacs for win32 21.3.1 and got a question regarding color-settings. > I set...

IndexedTriangleArray and Color
Hi, i try to set Color to every Triangle explicitily. (Code at the end) Without setColor it works fine an i see two Triangles in the canvas3D. But if i try to set the Colors i got following error .. Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: GeometryArray: has no colors at javax.media.j3d.GeometryArray.setColor(GeometryArray.java:1279) at ipbmesh.SimpleMeshViewer.insertMesh(SimpleMeshViewer.java:218) at ipbmesh.SimpleMeshViewer.createSceneGraph(SimpleMeshViewer.java:155) How i can solve this problem, that IndexedTriangleArray instanciate ...

color ls?
Hi! I'm new to NetBSD, and I'm wondering how I can get ls to color-code files according to type (like e.g. Linux's ls --color). I imagine I'll have to compile a custom ls for this, though this is getting a bit beyond my depth (termcap/terminfo is all voodoo to me). Any pointers/suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, I connect to my NetBSD account remotely, and its terminal *does* support color (even though my TERM is plain ol' xterm); various color-savvy applications (vi, Emacs, lynx, etc.) show color fine; I even managed to get a colored prompt for my zsh. But the B...

using gldrawelements without color arrays
I need to draw a wireframe object with all the vertices of the same color. I use the following primitives: glEnableClientState( GL_VERTEX_ARRAY ); glColor3b( 255, 255, 255 ); glVertexPointer( 3, GL_FLOAT, 0, vtxArray ); glColor3b( 255, 255, 255 ); glDrawElements( GL_TRIANGLES, faceCount, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, faceArray ); OpenGL ignores completely whatever value I put in glColor and draws the object black. I tried to move glColor in different positions, but no way. I would like to avoid having an array of color (GL_COLOR_ARRAY) just for specifying just one color. Any suggestion? Thansk in advanc...

Terminal switches colors on 'more' command
Hi, i have a problem on my openSuSE 10.2. If i use the command 'more' the colors switch to inverse for the text part. That means the terminal gets screwed up and the background of a character is black and the character is white. This settings remains for the shell and i have to close it. If i did an remote login then an exit does not help. Somebody can tell me what setting is wrong? Im using mostly an ssh access and the TERM is set to xterm. Br Andreas On 2007-06-25, Andreas Radler wrote: > Hi, > > i have a problem on my openSuSE 10.2. If i use the command 'more...

Monitor color, PS color, Web color
I need a reality check. If I have a web page and set the background to, say, #009933 (allegedly a web-safe color) and then specify in CS the same color, then is it true that they CS image exported as a GIF will not necessarily match? What of colors that work better in the CMYK space, or does it matter? Sorry, but I've a new monitor for web work and I am realizing that perhaps my success in this regard may have been dumb luck or delusion! TIA In article <11ckv4icdet2v74@news.supernews.com>, "johnboy" <okaynow@nospam.no> wrote: > If I have a web page and ...

Epson Stylus Color 740 problem
Okay, this one has me stumped. I have an Epson Stylus Color 740, and a Powerbook running Mac OS X 4.2. I print over my Airport network using an HP JetDirect -- not meant for the Epson printer, but it's worked great this way for years. My wireless printing setup uses Gimp print driver 5.0.0 beta2. It's been working fine, but a couple of months ago, something changed. It may have been when I upgraded to Tiger, but I'm not sure. The problem is that if I print a page of text, one or two lines per page will appear out of alignment: kind of a blurry, double-strike look. * ...