color.sty, xcolor.sty, pstricks.sty relationship

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Here's the situation.

A document, run off on a version of LaTeX about five years old, uses
color.sty and pstricks.sty.  Works fine.

Run off on a current version of LaTeX, it also works fine.  However, the DVI
output is completely different, and when converted to PostScript, the
resulting PS file is also completely different.  The printed output appears
to be the same--but how can I tell for certain?

Also, looking at the LaTeX log shows that color.sty is no longer being
loaded at all.  Has it been subsumed into xcolor.sty?

Finally, looking at the PS files, it appears that one prominent difference
is that where the old file mentions "Black" as a color, the new file
mentions "TeXcolorgray".  What's with that?

0
Reply ark1 (690) 6/23/2005 11:33:18 PM

See related articles to this posting

Andrew Koenig wrote:
> Here's the situation.
>
> A document, run off on a version of LaTeX about five years old, uses
> color.sty and pstricks.sty.  Works fine.
>
> Run off on a current version of LaTeX, it also works fine.  However, the DVI
> output is completely different, and when converted to PostScript, the
> resulting PS file is also completely different.  The printed output appears
> to be the same--but how can I tell for certain?
>
> Also, looking at the LaTeX log shows that color.sty is no longer being
> loaded at all.  Has it been subsumed into xcolor.sty?
>
> Finally, looking at the PS files, it appears that one prominent difference
> is that where the old file mentions "Black" as a color, the new file
> mentions "TeXcolorgray".  What's with that?

You want to be sure that the printed output is the same.

But the DVI output is completely different.

Could you, using dvitype, give us examples of the difference?

Can you rerun both versions of the the document?

If so, a hack such as
   \let\@@\special\special
   \def\special#1{\write16{xxx: #1}}
will do three things.

First, it will log all the specials (to console and log file).

Second, it will 'remove' (not put in) the specials from the dvi file.

Third, it will not change the placement of items on the page.

Perhaps, after you perform such a hack, the dvi files will become
identical.

Hope this helps.  This problem is easier with the right tools.

(However, they seem not to have been written yet.)

--
Jonathan

0
Reply jfine (686) 6/24/2005 7:59:26 AM

Andrew Koenig wrote:
> Here's the situation.
>
> A document, run off on a version of LaTeX about five years old, uses
> color.sty and pstricks.sty.  Works fine.
>
> Run off on a current version of LaTeX, it also works fine.  However, the DVI
> output is completely different, and when converted to PostScript, the
> resulting PS file is also completely different.  The printed output appears
> to be the same--but how can I tell for certain?
>
> Also, looking at the LaTeX log shows that color.sty is no longer being
> loaded at all.  Has it been subsumed into xcolor.sty?
>
> Finally, looking at the PS files, it appears that one prominent difference
> is that where the old file mentions "Black" as a color, the new file
> mentions "TeXcolorgray".  What's with that?

color and TeX is a question of its own ...
The new pstricks.sty replaces the pstcol.sty and does
more tests before and after loading pstricks.tex.

You can use \usepackage[noxcolor]{pstricks}, then pstricks
loads the color package, then your dvi should be (nearly)
the same. But xcolor.sty does a better job here.

Herbert

--
http://TeXnik.de/
http://PSTricks.de/

Jonathan Fine wrote:
> If so, a hack such as
>   \let\@@\special\special
>   \def\special#1{\write16{xxx: #1}}
> will do three things.
>
> First, it will log all the specials (to console and log file).
>
> Second, it will 'remove' (not put in) the specials from the dvi file.
>
> Third, it will not change the placement of items on the page.

Just to be a nitpicker, technically that's only two things! Otherwise, I
could say it doesn't make coffee, it doesn't give me vitamins, but most
of all it doesn't make me funny either.

Dave.
0
Reply dreamlax (94) 6/25/2005 5:46:35 AM

David Lloyd Geering wrote:
> Jonathan Fine wrote:
>
>> If so, a hack such as
>>   \let\@@\special\special
>>   \def\special#1{\write16{xxx: #1}}
>> will do three things.
>>
>> First, it will log all the specials (to console and log file).
>>
>> Second, it will 'remove' (not put in) the specials from the dvi file.
>>
>> Third, it will not change the placement of items on the page.
>

> Just to be a nitpicker, technically that's only two things! Otherwise, I
> could say it doesn't make coffee, it doesn't give me vitamins, but most
> of all it doesn't make me funny either.

You're quite write.  Except ...

Software is often written to requirements.  Which says what it does.

So here are the requirements.
1.  Log specials.
2.  Remove specials.
3.  Leave things where they are.

And in this thread, for the OP, (3) is a key requirement.

In my first draft of the quoted post, I wrote 'will do two things'.

Then I realised that I just had to add (3).

--
Jonathan

0
Reply jfine (686) 6/25/2005 6:45:29 AM

"Herbert Voss" <Herbert.Voss@gmx.net> wrote in message

> You can use \usepackage[noxcolor]{pstricks}, then pstricks
> loads the color package, then your dvi should be (nearly)
> the same. But xcolor.sty does a better job here.

That did it; thanks!  The document is monochrome, anyway; so I don't suppose
that xcolor.sty would make any real difference.
Omitting it does, however, make the comparisons work right.

0
Reply ark1 (690) 6/28/2005 10:42:21 PM
comp.text.tex 36600 articles. 70 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

problem accessing x11names colors in xcolor.sty
Why doesn't the following work? It matters not whether I spell "Gray" or "Grey". It also doesn't matter if I specify the svgnames option as well. --RY \documentclass[10pt]{article} \usepackage[x11names]{xcolor} \begin{document} This is an x11 color: \fcolorbox{black}{SlateGray1}{test}. \end{document} latex xcolorstest This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) %&-line parsing enabled. entering extended mode (./xcolorstest.tex LaTeX2e <2003/12/01> Babel <v3.8g> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh...

framed.sty + chngpage.sty + float.sty
dear latex wizards---I am getting some interactions between packages framed, cngpage, and float. I would like to have floats that are style "float", which have a colored background, and which extend into the marginparwidth. alas, I can get floats with colored background, or floats which extend into the marginparwidth, but not both. this is easy to show with the latex segment below. (if there is a more advanced package out there that has more features than float.sty that cover this, please let me know and ignore this post.) any help would be appreciated. sincerely, /ivo welch ...

proof.sty and color
Dear all, I often use the proof.sty package that enables me to write proofs such as... A B ---(C) D ---(E) F What I would like is to be able to adjust the colour of each rule line, say the first rule line as blue, the second as red. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance, Geoff. ...

transparency in color.sty?
Dear Wizards: May I ask whether there are plans to include transparency support for pdf files in color.sty? sincerely, /iaw ...

Problem with comment.sty and colors
I want to use color in order to make my "todo" comments pop out better using comment.sty However, I'm sometimes having unpredictable results. \usepackage[usenames,dvipsnames]{color} \usepackage{comment} \specialcomment{todo}{\begingroup\ttfamily\footnotesize\color{red}} {\endgroup} For some reason, the color is "leaking" out and painting the entire previous page red, including the chapter and section heading. Deleting the \color{red} command in the specialcomment clause fixes one problem, but does not help me highlight the items that need action. This seems to wor...

Color frame in seminar.sty
I am using the class seminar with LaTeX, with the semcolor option. I would like to have colored frames for slides, obtained with the command \slideframe{scplain} What should I do? Assume I want the frame to be blue, what are the commands to be used? Anyone has a suggestion? Thanks to all who can help me with this. Cheers, Maurizio ...

color.sty and included documents
Hi, With the master/child documents below, I get the following latex error: ! LaTeX Error: Undefined color `RED'. See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation. Type H <return> for immediate help. ... l.9 \include{two} Note that this error only occurs within sectioning commands, and it disappears if I change one of the following things: 1. use article class 2. write some standard text before the section (see comment) Is this a (known) bug? (I browsed the archive, the FAQ and the bug database without success) (color.sty v1.0i) Regards, J�rgen <-- file one.tex ...

listings.sty changing backgroun color
Is there a trick how to change the background color for keywords in the listings.sty? Lets say, in my language I want to have (*) PROCESS to appear with forest-green foreground on a light grey background. Should I better switch to fancyvrb.sty ? Thanks. Frank Frank-Ren� Sch�fer wrote: > Is there a trick how to change the background color for keywords in the > listings.sty? Why do that *in* listings.sty??? > Lets say, in my language I want to have > > (*) PROCESS > > to appear with forest-green foreground on a light grey background. > Should I better switch to ...

Problem with comment.sty and colors #2
I want to use color in order to make my "todo" comments pop out better using comment.sty However, I'm sometimes having unpredictable results. \usepackage[usenames,dvipsnames]{color} \usepackage{comment} \specialcomment{todo}{\begingroup\ttfamily\footnotesize\color{red}} {\endgroup} For some reason, the color is "leaking" out and painting the entire previous page red, including the chapter and section heading. Deleting the \color{red} command in the specialcomment clause fixes one problem, but does not help me highlight the items that need action. This seems to wor...

timest.sty + mathpazo.sty
I've read a few posts recently in which knowldegeable contributors recommend not to use times.sty (any more(?)). However only one month ago I have prepared a non-maths document for my girlfriend (about a project for an exposition of dolls, FWIW) which included in the preamble the following packages[1]: \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \usepackage{textcomp} \usepackage[italian]{babel} \usepackage[italian]{SIunits} \usepackage{times} \usepackage{mathpazo} \usepackage{pifont} \usepackage{wasysym} \usepackage{multicol} mathpazo.sty was there mostly because even if the ...

fourier.sty and bm.sty
Hi, I just found out that bm.sty doesn't work with fourier.sty. If I call bm before fourier, I ended up with bold italic symbols in CM font. If I call bm after fourier, I ended up with poorman's bold math symbols. However, I'm able to declare a new math fonts \mathbfit, as suggested by the author, by \DeclareMathAlphabet{\mathbfit}{T1}{fut\mathfamilyextension}{bx}{it} and get the real bold italic math symbols in Utopia font, as I want. Did I do anything wrong or fourier and bm are not compatible. Thanks, Xiaotian Xiaotian Sun schrieb: > > If I > call bm after...

Latex on Ubuntu Linux, Missing xcolor.sty
Hi, I installed Latex (tetex) on Ubuntu 6.06. I used Latex files that worked without error on FC5. With Ubuntu I got the error message 'missing xcolor.sty'. How can I fix this? Many thanks, Joe Hesse "Joe Hesse" <joe_hesse@actcx.com> writes: > I installed Latex (tetex) on Ubuntu 6.06. I used Latex files that worked > without error on FC5. > With Ubuntu I got the error message 'missing xcolor.sty'. > How can I fix this? sudo aptitutde install latex-xcolor Debian, and hence Ubuntu, has several packages from teTeX 3.0 separated: latex-xcolor, ...

Keeping background color in framed.sty across pages
The background colour in a framed box from framed.sty does not get transferred across a page break. I found a solution on this news group from Morten Hoegholm, that borrowed something from pdfcolmk. It worked fine for me. Unfortunately, that file, which I named myframed.sty, was lost in an upgrade, and I cannot track it again on the web. Can anyone help me please? Better still, may I suggest that the revised file, with Morten's solution, should be uploaded onto CTAN as a new version of the framed.sty package. Thank you. Chandra 27 Jun 2005 ...

floatrow.sty: \floatfoot and pdftex warning: pop empty color page stack 0
Dear all, I found that with the usage of \floatfoot-command provided by the floatrow.sty, pdftex produces a `pop empty color page stack 0' warning. A minimal example is attached below. Is this behaviour reproducible, and is this a bug? I have TL2009 installed (pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (Web2C 2009)). \documentclass[12pt]{article} \usepackage{floatrow} \listfiles \begin{document} \begin{table} \ttabbox {\caption{Some Caption Text}% %% `\floatfoot' produces pdftex warning: pop empty color page stack 0 \floatfoot{some text some text}% } {\begin{tabular}{@{}ll@{}} ...

adding color.sty causes ``Missing } inserted'' w/ marginal note environment
If I have a file: \documentclass{book} \usepackage{marginalnote} %\usepackage{color} \begin{document} This is a test \begin{margin} \marginpar{This should be a marginal note} \end{margin} \end{document} where ``marginalnote.sty'' is: \newenvironment{margin} {\ifhmode% \@bsphack% \@floatpenalty-\@Mii% \else \@floatpenalty-\@Miii% \fi \ifinner \@parmoderr% \@floatpenalty\z@% \else \@next\@currbox\@freelist{}{}% \@next \@marbox \@freelist {\global \count \@marbox \m@ne}% {\@floatpenalty\z@% \@fltovf \def \@currbox {\@tempboxa }\def \@marbox {\@te...

Using covington.sty with ctib.sty
Hello all I am interested in having interlinear sanskrit, tibetan, and english in documents. I am having some difficulties with tibetan and english. Covington.sty seems to do mostly what I want with the \gll, \glt, and \glend macros, but unfortunately does not deal properly with the tibetan alphabet available through ctib. There are two principal difficulties: 1. The baseline of words in the second (english) line moves up and down, depending on the height of the tibetan letters in the words above it. I would like the english to follow its own baseline at an appropriate point below the...

preview.sty conflicting with amsmath.sty
Hello, I would like to use preview.sty with amsmath.sty. I have the following document: \documentclass{slides} \usepackage[active,tightpage,textmath,displaymath]{preview} \usepackage{amsmath} \begin{document} \large .... and I get the following error when I run LaTeX. Anyone know if this can be fixed somehow... ? $ latex symbols.tex This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009/Debian) entering extended mode (./symbols.tex LaTeX2e <2009/09/24> Babel <v3.8l> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh yphenation, loaded. (/usr/share/texmf-te...

Incompatibility of endfloat.sty with tikz.sty
As I think at least the maintainer of endfloat.sty is reading here, I re-post this from the german TeX newsgroup. There seems to be an incompatibility of the tikz und endfloat packages. In this example, endfloat breaks tikz transparency and patterns: \listfiles \documentclass{article} \usepackage{tikz} \usetikzlibrary{patterns} \usepackage{endfloat}% comment out for testing \begin{document} \begin{figure} \begin{tikzpicture} \draw[fill=yellow] (0,0) rectangle (5,3); \draw[fill=red,opacity=0.5] (1,1) rectangle +(1,1); \draw[pattern=crosshatch] (3,1) rectangle +(1...

avm.sty conflicts with arydshln.sty
Hi All, I'm trying to use arydshln.sty and avm.sty together in one document, but it seems the combination is causing a conflict. A minimal example: ========================================================================= \documentclass[11pt]{scrartcl} \usepackage{avm} \usepackage{arydshln} % tables with dashed lines \begin{document} \begin{avm} \[one\\ two\] \end{avm} \bigskip \begin{tabular}{|l:l|l|} \hline one & two & three\\ four & five & six\\ \hline \end{tabular} \end{document} ===========================================...

Using everyshi.sty with multicol.sty
I am finishing up typesetting a book with Latex, and have managed to implement just about all of the recommendations of the copy-editor and designer -- but I couldn't manage to automate one thing. As requested by the press, I am using everyshi.sty in the indexes in order to print a line that says "foo (cont.)" in the first column of every verso page that continues an index heading from the page before. I have added an \EveryShipout hook that checks the page number and the marks set in the .ind files (using extramarks.sty), and prints the necessary "cont." line as first...

conflict between url.sty and html.sty (with pdfetex)?
I've noticed that some documents that compile without problems under the version of LaTeX I've been using don't compile under a newer version. Before I start trying to plow through .sty files, perhaps someone here will recognize this as a familiar problem and suggest a fix or workaround .... Here's a short example of such a document: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{url} \usepackage{html} \urldef{\BaseURL}\url{http://something.edu/} \begin{document} \noindent Here is a formatted URL: \url{http://something.edu/~username}. \end{document} Under the "old" version o...

eqnarray.sty counter bug with amsmath.sty?
dear latex experts---I am not talking eqnarray, but eqnarray.sty (v1.3, dec 1 2010, texlive): I am using it for the nice \yesnumber functionality in another macro, but here is the distilled version. \documentclass[12pt]{article} \usepackage{amsmath} %% if amsmath is included, then the equation counter no longer increments. \usepackage{eqnarray} \begin{document} \begin{equationarray*}{*{50}{c}} \yesnumber x &=& z \end{equationarray*} \begin{equationarray*}{*{50}{c}} \yesnumber x &=& z \end{equationarray*} \end{document} who is in charge of this package, so that I...

Problem using pinyin.sty and pifont.sty
Using the hyperref package along with pinyin.sty conflicts. It turns out that hyperref calls pifont.sty which redefines the \ding macro and ends up in the following message: ,---- | *hyperref using default driver hpdftex* | (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/hyperref/hpdftex.def | (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/pifont.sty | | ! LaTeX Error: Command \ding already defined. | Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual. | | See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation. | Type H <return> for immediate help. | ... | | l.55 \newcommand{\ding}{\Pisymbol{pzd}} `-...

LaTeX2RTF vs. jurabib.sty/alphanum.sty
Hi. How can I transform .tex files into .rtf files if I use in LaTeX jurabib.sty and alphanum.sty. The references are wrong. Thanks in advance and kind regards. Friedrich -- Kinderl�rm ist Zukunftsmusik. ...