color.sty, xcolor.sty, pstricks.sty relationship

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Here's the situation.

A document, run off on a version of LaTeX about five years old, uses
color.sty and pstricks.sty.  Works fine.

Run off on a current version of LaTeX, it also works fine.  However, the DVI
output is completely different, and when converted to PostScript, the
resulting PS file is also completely different.  The printed output appears
to be the same--but how can I tell for certain?

Also, looking at the LaTeX log shows that color.sty is no longer being
loaded at all.  Has it been subsumed into xcolor.sty?

Finally, looking at the PS files, it appears that one prominent difference
is that where the old file mentions "Black" as a color, the new file
mentions "TeXcolorgray".  What's with that?

0
Reply ark1 (690) 6/23/2005 11:33:18 PM

See related articles to this posting

Andrew Koenig wrote:
> Here's the situation.
>
> A document, run off on a version of LaTeX about five years old, uses
> color.sty and pstricks.sty.  Works fine.
>
> Run off on a current version of LaTeX, it also works fine.  However, the DVI
> output is completely different, and when converted to PostScript, the
> resulting PS file is also completely different.  The printed output appears
> to be the same--but how can I tell for certain?
>
> Also, looking at the LaTeX log shows that color.sty is no longer being
> loaded at all.  Has it been subsumed into xcolor.sty?
>
> Finally, looking at the PS files, it appears that one prominent difference
> is that where the old file mentions "Black" as a color, the new file
> mentions "TeXcolorgray".  What's with that?

You want to be sure that the printed output is the same.

But the DVI output is completely different.

Could you, using dvitype, give us examples of the difference?

Can you rerun both versions of the the document?

If so, a hack such as
   \let\@@\special\special
   \def\special#1{\write16{xxx: #1}}
will do three things.

First, it will log all the specials (to console and log file).

Second, it will 'remove' (not put in) the specials from the dvi file.

Third, it will not change the placement of items on the page.

Perhaps, after you perform such a hack, the dvi files will become
identical.

Hope this helps.  This problem is easier with the right tools.

(However, they seem not to have been written yet.)

--
Jonathan

0
Reply jfine (686) 6/24/2005 7:59:26 AM

Andrew Koenig wrote:
> Here's the situation.
>
> A document, run off on a version of LaTeX about five years old, uses
> color.sty and pstricks.sty.  Works fine.
>
> Run off on a current version of LaTeX, it also works fine.  However, the DVI
> output is completely different, and when converted to PostScript, the
> resulting PS file is also completely different.  The printed output appears
> to be the same--but how can I tell for certain?
>
> Also, looking at the LaTeX log shows that color.sty is no longer being
> loaded at all.  Has it been subsumed into xcolor.sty?
>
> Finally, looking at the PS files, it appears that one prominent difference
> is that where the old file mentions "Black" as a color, the new file
> mentions "TeXcolorgray".  What's with that?

color and TeX is a question of its own ...
The new pstricks.sty replaces the pstcol.sty and does
more tests before and after loading pstricks.tex.

You can use \usepackage[noxcolor]{pstricks}, then pstricks
loads the color package, then your dvi should be (nearly)
the same. But xcolor.sty does a better job here.

Herbert

--
http://TeXnik.de/
http://PSTricks.de/

Jonathan Fine wrote:
> If so, a hack such as
>   \let\@@\special\special
>   \def\special#1{\write16{xxx: #1}}
> will do three things.
>
> First, it will log all the specials (to console and log file).
>
> Second, it will 'remove' (not put in) the specials from the dvi file.
>
> Third, it will not change the placement of items on the page.

Just to be a nitpicker, technically that's only two things! Otherwise, I
could say it doesn't make coffee, it doesn't give me vitamins, but most
of all it doesn't make me funny either.

Dave.
0
Reply dreamlax (94) 6/25/2005 5:46:35 AM

David Lloyd Geering wrote:
> Jonathan Fine wrote:
>
>> If so, a hack such as
>>   \let\@@\special\special
>>   \def\special#1{\write16{xxx: #1}}
>> will do three things.
>>
>> First, it will log all the specials (to console and log file).
>>
>> Second, it will 'remove' (not put in) the specials from the dvi file.
>>
>> Third, it will not change the placement of items on the page.
>

> Just to be a nitpicker, technically that's only two things! Otherwise, I
> could say it doesn't make coffee, it doesn't give me vitamins, but most
> of all it doesn't make me funny either.

You're quite write.  Except ...

Software is often written to requirements.  Which says what it does.

So here are the requirements.
1.  Log specials.
2.  Remove specials.
3.  Leave things where they are.

And in this thread, for the OP, (3) is a key requirement.

In my first draft of the quoted post, I wrote 'will do two things'.

Then I realised that I just had to add (3).

--
Jonathan

0
Reply jfine (686) 6/25/2005 6:45:29 AM

"Herbert Voss" <Herbert.Voss@gmx.net> wrote in message

> You can use \usepackage[noxcolor]{pstricks}, then pstricks
> loads the color package, then your dvi should be (nearly)
> the same. But xcolor.sty does a better job here.

That did it; thanks!  The document is monochrome, anyway; so I don't suppose
that xcolor.sty would make any real difference.
Omitting it does, however, make the comparisons work right.

0
Reply ark1 (690) 6/28/2005 10:42:21 PM
comp.text.tex 36791 articles. 71 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

framed.sty + chngpage.sty + float.sty
dear latex wizards---I am getting some interactions between packages framed, cngpage, and float. I would like to have floats that are style "float", which have a colored background, and which extend into the marginparwidth. alas, I can get floats with colored background, or floats which extend into the marginparwidth, but not both. this is easy to show with the latex segment below. (if there is a more advanced package out there that has more features than float.sty that cover this, please let me know and ignore this post.) any help would be appreciated. sincerely, /ivo welch ...

timest.sty + mathpazo.sty
I've read a few posts recently in which knowldegeable contributors recommend not to use times.sty (any more(?)). However only one month ago I have prepared a non-maths document for my girlfriend (about a project for an exposition of dolls, FWIW) which included in the preamble the following packages[1]: \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \usepackage{textcomp} \usepackage[italian]{babel} \usepackage[italian]{SIunits} \usepackage{times} \usepackage{mathpazo} \usepackage{pifont} \usepackage{wasysym} \usepackage{multicol} mathpazo.sty was there mostly because even if the ...

fourier.sty and bm.sty
Hi, I just found out that bm.sty doesn't work with fourier.sty. If I call bm before fourier, I ended up with bold italic symbols in CM font. If I call bm after fourier, I ended up with poorman's bold math symbols. However, I'm able to declare a new math fonts \mathbfit, as suggested by the author, by \DeclareMathAlphabet{\mathbfit}{T1}{fut\mathfamilyextension}{bx}{it} and get the real bold italic math symbols in Utopia font, as I want. Did I do anything wrong or fourier and bm are not compatible. Thanks, Xiaotian Xiaotian Sun schrieb: > > If I > call bm after...

Using covington.sty with ctib.sty
Hello all I am interested in having interlinear sanskrit, tibetan, and english in documents. I am having some difficulties with tibetan and english. Covington.sty seems to do mostly what I want with the \gll, \glt, and \glend macros, but unfortunately does not deal properly with the tibetan alphabet available through ctib. There are two principal difficulties: 1. The baseline of words in the second (english) line moves up and down, depending on the height of the tibetan letters in the words above it. I would like the english to follow its own baseline at an appropriate point below the...

preview.sty conflicting with amsmath.sty
Hello, I would like to use preview.sty with amsmath.sty. I have the following document: \documentclass{slides} \usepackage[active,tightpage,textmath,displaymath]{preview} \usepackage{amsmath} \begin{document} \large .... and I get the following error when I run LaTeX. Anyone know if this can be fixed somehow... ? $ latex symbols.tex This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009/Debian) entering extended mode (./symbols.tex LaTeX2e <2009/09/24> Babel <v3.8l> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh yphenation, loaded. (/usr/share/texmf-te...

Incompatibility of endfloat.sty with tikz.sty
As I think at least the maintainer of endfloat.sty is reading here, I re-post this from the german TeX newsgroup. There seems to be an incompatibility of the tikz und endfloat packages. In this example, endfloat breaks tikz transparency and patterns: \listfiles \documentclass{article} \usepackage{tikz} \usetikzlibrary{patterns} \usepackage{endfloat}% comment out for testing \begin{document} \begin{figure} \begin{tikzpicture} \draw[fill=yellow] (0,0) rectangle (5,3); \draw[fill=red,opacity=0.5] (1,1) rectangle +(1,1); \draw[pattern=crosshatch] (3,1) rectangle +(1...

avm.sty conflicts with arydshln.sty
Hi All, I'm trying to use arydshln.sty and avm.sty together in one document, but it seems the combination is causing a conflict. A minimal example: ========================================================================= \documentclass[11pt]{scrartcl} \usepackage{avm} \usepackage{arydshln} % tables with dashed lines \begin{document} \begin{avm} \[one\\ two\] \end{avm} \bigskip \begin{tabular}{|l:l|l|} \hline one & two & three\\ four & five & six\\ \hline \end{tabular} \end{document} ===========================================...

Using everyshi.sty with multicol.sty
I am finishing up typesetting a book with Latex, and have managed to implement just about all of the recommendations of the copy-editor and designer -- but I couldn't manage to automate one thing. As requested by the press, I am using everyshi.sty in the indexes in order to print a line that says "foo (cont.)" in the first column of every verso page that continues an index heading from the page before. I have added an \EveryShipout hook that checks the page number and the marks set in the .ind files (using extramarks.sty), and prints the necessary "cont." line as first...

conflict between url.sty and html.sty (with pdfetex)?
I've noticed that some documents that compile without problems under the version of LaTeX I've been using don't compile under a newer version. Before I start trying to plow through .sty files, perhaps someone here will recognize this as a familiar problem and suggest a fix or workaround .... Here's a short example of such a document: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{url} \usepackage{html} \urldef{\BaseURL}\url{http://something.edu/} \begin{document} \noindent Here is a formatted URL: \url{http://something.edu/~username}. \end{document} Under the "old" version o...

eqnarray.sty counter bug with amsmath.sty?
dear latex experts---I am not talking eqnarray, but eqnarray.sty (v1.3, dec 1 2010, texlive): I am using it for the nice \yesnumber functionality in another macro, but here is the distilled version. \documentclass[12pt]{article} \usepackage{amsmath} %% if amsmath is included, then the equation counter no longer increments. \usepackage{eqnarray} \begin{document} \begin{equationarray*}{*{50}{c}} \yesnumber x &=& z \end{equationarray*} \begin{equationarray*}{*{50}{c}} \yesnumber x &=& z \end{equationarray*} \end{document} who is in charge of this package, so that I...

Problem using pinyin.sty and pifont.sty
Using the hyperref package along with pinyin.sty conflicts. It turns out that hyperref calls pifont.sty which redefines the \ding macro and ends up in the following message: ,---- | *hyperref using default driver hpdftex* | (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/hyperref/hpdftex.def | (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/pifont.sty | | ! LaTeX Error: Command \ding already defined. | Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual. | | See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation. | Type H <return> for immediate help. | ... | | l.55 \newcommand{\ding}{\Pisymbol{pzd}} `-...

LaTeX2RTF vs. jurabib.sty/alphanum.sty
Hi. How can I transform .tex files into .rtf files if I use in LaTeX jurabib.sty and alphanum.sty. The references are wrong. Thanks in advance and kind regards. Friedrich -- Kinderl�rm ist Zukunftsmusik. ...

problem accessing x11names colors in xcolor.sty
Why doesn't the following work? It matters not whether I spell "Gray" or "Grey". It also doesn't matter if I specify the svgnames option as well. --RY \documentclass[10pt]{article} \usepackage[x11names]{xcolor} \begin{document} This is an x11 color: \fcolorbox{black}{SlateGray1}{test}. \end{document} latex xcolorstest This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) %&-line parsing enabled. entering extended mode (./xcolorstest.tex LaTeX2e <2003/12/01> Babel <v3.8g> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh...

enumerate.sty (Carlisle) / paralist.sty (Schandl) question
Both David Carlisle's enumerate and Bernd Schandl's paralist packages allow an optional argument to the enumerate environment (and paralist allows one for various other list types) that modifies the formatting of the counter in the item label, e.g., \begin{enumerate}[E-I] will label successive items as E-I, E-II, etc., with the counter printed as \Roman, while \begin{enumerate}[$\Xi_1$] will label successive items as $\Xi_1$, $\Xi_2$, etc, with the counter printed as \arabic. For both packages, a \ref to an item recovers only the value of the counter, printed as \Alph,.....

SIstyle.sty font problem with HA-Prosper.sty
Hi, I'm just testing the new SIstyle package and am having font problems when using it together with HA-Prosper: --8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8--- \listfiles \documentclass[pdf]{prosper} \usepackage[toc,highlight,HA]{HA-prosper} \usepackage{sistyle} % \begin{document} % \begin{slide}{foo} The result is \SI{1}{kg.m/s^2} some more text\ldots\par The result is {\sffamily \SI{1}{kg.m/s^2}} some more text\ldots \end{slide} % \end{document} --8<------------------------schnapp------------------------->8--- Is there an easy way to adapt the comman...

Re: upload to Cambridge: cite.sty and overcite.sty
Donald Arseneau writes: > I have uploaded new versions of cite.sty and overcite.sty to > ftp.tex.ac.uk. They should replace the ones currently in > macros/latex/contrib/cite. > > overcite.sty is now just a stub, loading cite.sty with the [superscript] > option. > > 4.0: Combine overcite with cite: [superscript] = [super] option. Also add > [nocompress] option and \CiteMoveChars hook; multibib hooks. > 4.01 \bf -> \bfseries i've installed the packages replacing older versions in macros/latex/contrib/cite thanks for the upload. Robin Fairbair...

Are framed.sty and changepage.sty compatible? Or is there a work around?
Hi I want to use both framed.sty (to allow page breaks to occur in framed material) and changepage.sty (so I can get marginal material in the correct margin). But they don't seem to be compatible. More exactly, if I use \checkoddpage inside a framed environment I sometime get the wrong answer. It seems that so far as changepage.sty is concerned, the whole of the framed material is either recto or verso (whereas it can be a combination of both). -- Jonathan Am 30.08.2012 17:37, schrieb jfine: > Hi > > I want to use both framed.sty (to allow page breaks to occur...

incalc.sty, kvsetkeys.sty and packages for use with (e)TeX
Hello Mr Oberdiek, 1) I noticed that you leave the command ...@AtEnd defined after the end of the input. Your packages generally starts with: \TMP@EnsureCode... \edef\...@AtEnd{\...@AtEnd \noexpand \endinput } May be you could add \let\noexpand\...@AtEnd =\relax (or \noexpand\@undefined). 2) I don't know it this is wanted or even possible to know if a package is loaded by \RequirePackage or via \input or \InputIfFileExits (may be the file stack contain some information) but if you: \input intcalc.sty\relax in a LaTeX document you get either: LaTeX Warning: You...

url.sty and hyperref.sty: urls unbroken, poke into margin
Dear Folks, Exitedly I installed the latest url.sty, but the problem seems to be with hyperref: when I include hyperref with: \usepackage[pdfpagemode=None,pdfauthor={Nick Urbanik}]{hyperref} all my urls poke way off into the margin. If I comment it out, the URLs are nicely wrapped. So how can I fix this: Do I need to use sed in my makefile to comment out hyperref when I generate pdf with pdflatex? What about when I want to generate pdf from the postscript directly? I would be most grateful for any pointers, since all my workshop notes are a mess with the unreadable URLs Should I show a...

clash between pst-pdf.sty and classicthesis.sty; pplr9o+20 error
Hi, can somebody help me out with this example: ,----[ pd_thesis.tex ] | \listfiles% | \documentclass{scrbook} | \usepackage{pstricks} | \usepackage{pst-pdf} | \usepackage{subfigure} % needed for classicthesis | \usepackage{classicthesis} | \begin{document} | foo | \end{document} `---- TeXing the file works fine (using TeXLive2005). But running ps4pdf results in following lengthy error message: ,---- | Running `ps4pdf' on `/home/patrick/data/uni/thesis/tex-problems/pd_thesis' with ``/usr/local/bin/ps4pdf pd_thesis'' | /usr/local/bin/ps4pdf: running latex pd_thesis | /usr/lo...

proof.sty and color
Dear all, I often use the proof.sty package that enables me to write proofs such as... A B ---(C) D ---(E) F What I would like is to be able to adjust the colour of each rule line, say the first rule line as blue, the second as red. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance, Geoff. ...

transparency in color.sty?
Dear Wizards: May I ask whether there are plans to include transparency support for pdf files in color.sty? sincerely, /iaw ...

Problem with comment.sty and colors
I want to use color in order to make my "todo" comments pop out better using comment.sty However, I'm sometimes having unpredictable results. \usepackage[usenames,dvipsnames]{color} \usepackage{comment} \specialcomment{todo}{\begingroup\ttfamily\footnotesize\color{red}} {\endgroup} For some reason, the color is "leaking" out and painting the entire previous page red, including the chapter and section heading. Deleting the \color{red} command in the specialcomment clause fixes one problem, but does not help me highlight the items that need action. This seems to wor...

Color frame in seminar.sty
I am using the class seminar with LaTeX, with the semcolor option. I would like to have colored frames for slides, obtained with the command \slideframe{scplain} What should I do? Assume I want the frame to be blue, what are the commands to be used? Anyone has a suggestion? Thanks to all who can help me with this. Cheers, Maurizio ...