Emerald fonts - font size?

Hi there,

I've installed the Emerald fonts [1] from CTAN, and have got them working on
my system. An example such as the LaTeX Font catalogue's text example [2]
works perfectly, but I can't work out for the life of me how to resize the
font.

I'm using this in the context of:

  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage{emerald}
  \fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{12pt}{13pt}\selectfont
  Here's the body of my text
  {\ECFAugie Some notes in the magin}
  Body text continues...
  \end{document}

I wish to use cmss as my default font and Augie enclosed in a group only for
short notes. Yet {\ECFAugie \fontsize(10pt) doesn't work as I'd hope}

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Stroller.

[1] http://ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/emerald/
[2] http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/augie/augie.tex
0
stroller (34)

Stroller <stroller@bigfoot.com>  schrieb:

> Hi there,
>
> I've installed the Emerald fonts [1] from CTAN, and have got them
> working on my system. An example such as the LaTeX Font catalogue's
> text example [2] works perfectly, but I can't work out for the life of
> me how to resize the font.
>
> I'm using this in the context of:
>
>   \documentclass{article}
>   \usepackage{emerald}
>   \fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{12pt}{13pt}\selectfont
>   Here's the body of my text
>   {\ECFAugie Some notes in the magin}
>   Body text continues...
>   \end{document}
>
> I wish to use cmss as my default font and Augie enclosed in a group
> only for short notes. Yet {\ECFAugie \fontsize(10pt) doesn't work as
> I'd hope}

If you had compared \fontsize(10pt) to the font commands you used above
you could perhaps get an idea what's wrong and what's missing. In any
way: if is not a good idea to set the default fontfamily and fontsize
with a \selectfont command.

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{emerald}
\renewcommand\familydefault{\sfdefault}
\begin{document}
  Here's the body of my text
  {\ECFAugie\small Some \footnotesize notes \tiny in the magin}
  Body text continues...
\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 06:55:46 +0000, Stroller <stroller@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>I'm using this in the context of:
>
>  \documentclass{article}
>  \usepackage{emerald}
>  \fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{12pt}{13pt}\selectfont
>  Here's the body of my text
>  {\ECFAugie Some notes in the magin}
>  Body text continues...
>  \end{document}

	The "hard" way is:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{emerald}
\begin{document}
\fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{12pt}{13pt}\selectfont
Here's the body of my text
{\ECFAugie\fontsize{10pt}{13pt}\selectfont Some notes in the margin}
Body text continues...
\end{document}

note that you have missed the 2nd parameter to \fontsize and also the
\selectfont. You can also put the \fontsize command prior to \ECFAugie and
then \selectfont it is not necessary (as \ECFAugie includes it). If you
change the \fontsize by \small, \tiny and the like it works OK without
\selectfont. Ulrike Fisches has given us a good example of it.

	When writing this package I assumed that the emerald fonts will not
be used as the "main" fonts of a document (imagine your PhD Thesis witten
with Skeetch :-) so I decided to provide these commands (\ECF...) to change
locally to a given font, and do not include them in the \familydefault,
\rmdefault... mechanism. I apologize if this causes confussion or trouble.

	In any way, I'm happy to know that my work is useful for somebody
:-) Regards.

0
mcesar (27)
11/6/2006 11:41:08 AM
Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Stroller <stroller@bigfoot.com>  schrieb:
>>   \documentclass{article}
>>   \usepackage{emerald}
>>   \fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{12pt}{13pt}\selectfont
>
> If you had compared \fontsize(10pt) to the font commands you used above
> you could perhaps get an idea what's wrong and what's missing.

I wonder if I really used  \fontsize(10pt) or  \fontsize{10pt} - I'm afraid it
was very late when I posted last night. I guess that you may be referring to
the "\selectfont" command, however LaTeX's syntax is in no way clear to me.

> In any
> way: if is not a good idea to set the default fontfamily and fontsize
> with a \selectfont command.

Could I possibly trouble you to explain why, please?

I'm afraid I have only been using LaTeX for a few days, and have been spurred
to do so by a need to modify an invoice template in SQL-Ledger.

In SQL-Ledger all the LaTeX templates contain this declatation:
  \fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{10pt}{12pt}\selectfont

I'm afraid I was unable to find any reference to fontfamily in either the
Indian TeX Uers Group "LaTeX Tutorials - A Primer" or "The Not So Short
Introduction To LaTeX". I'm afraid I have stuck with this line because it
continued to work - unlike some of my experiments with other usages!!

> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{emerald}
> \renewcommand\familydefault{\sfdefault}
> \begin{document}
>   Here's the body of my text
>   {\ECFAugie\small Some \footnotesize notes \tiny in the magin}
>   Body text continues...
> \end{document}

Many thanks for this. The \small size of Augie is the one I'd like to use
thoughout the document. I'm sure it must be possible to make this a default
"scaling" of the font. This would save me setting \small for every occurrence
of Augie - does anyone have any quick pointers on how to do this?
See for a graphical explanation:
http://stuff.stroller.uk.eu.org/LaTeX_Augie.pdf

Stroller.
0
stroller (34)
11/7/2006 12:08:39 AM
mcesar wrote:
> note that you have missed the 2nd parameter to \fontsize and also the
> \selectfont. You can also put the \fontsize command prior to \ECFAugie and
> then \selectfont it is not necessary (as \ECFAugie includes it).

I see. Thank you very much for your help.

>     When writing this package I assumed that the emerald fonts will not
> be used as the "main" fonts of a document (imagine your PhD Thesis witten
> with Skeetch :-) so I decided to provide these commands (\ECF...) to change
> locally to a given font, and do not include them in the \familydefault,
> \rmdefault... mechanism. I apologize if this causes confussion or trouble.

I'm afraid that - to someone as inexperienced as I - your explanation causes
as much confusion. In learning LaTeX I'm finding its syntax to be almost akin
to a programming language... it certainly appears to try to follow logical
rules. I don't understand, therefore, why two fonts should be treated
differently.

As a teenager I used to have a couple of volumes from an illustrated series
upon fishing that were either hand-printed or entirely set in a "handwritten
font". Surely such a font might be difficult to read if used for a 500 page
novel, but in this book it worked extremely well - each page featured one or
more pieces of line-art (a species of fish, a lure or a reel) and perhaps only
3 or 4 paragraphs. I could now no longer tell you the titles or publisher, but
that I remember these books after so many years suggests that they may well
have been both beautiful & readable.

I am not saying that these fonts should be used universally for large
documents, merely that perhaps one shouldn't make assumptions? Pookie looks to
me like the sort of font that might grace an early Offspring album and in
sleeve notes the very fact that Movieola is slightly hard to read, requiring
the reader's concentration, might be seen as a tool to help draw the reader
into the lyrics, were it used extensively for their typesetting.

>     In any way, I'm happy to know that my work is useful for somebody

It is indeed VERY useful. I am clearly not the intended audience for
scientific papers, so it would be unfair of me to judge their content, however
I find their use only of a serif Times font and a standard layout - standard
not throughout each document, but for ALL scientific papers - to be quite
boring.

I am sure that the word-processor I used 20 years or so ago on the BBC Micro
[1] was not WYSIWYG, but used similar macros to those of LaTeX to output bold
or italic text to a dot-matrix printer. For general usage this was in many
ways far superior to current versions of Word, which tempts little old ladies
to indent paragraphs using the spacebar. I do not think I could reccomend
LaTeX to such users right now, but a wider range of fonts certainly makes
LaTeX more accessable & useful to users outside of academia.

I would encourage anyone writing a webpage on LaTeX to mention The LaTeX Font
Catalogue at http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/ - it was only after a number of
hours of searching through pages related to fonts in LaTeX that I _happened_
to _stumble_ upon this resource, and it is invaluable to users like me. I have
no desire to use Comic Sans and I don't need to change fonts in my documents
often - philosophically I find LaTeX's ideal of defining document style
separately from the document text extremely logical - but I had been finding
LaTeX quite limiting until finding that site. I would find a font on CTAN and
end up quite frustrated by finding it unsuitable ONLY after I'd installed it
on my system & configured updmap.cfg. It is quite illogical to me how the
first thing one find when looking for truetype fonts is an image of how the
font acrually looks, yet for LaTeX this appears widely to be considered
unnecessary.

These comments should be in no way be considered a critisism of you - I merely
feel compelled to mention my thoughts now that I have found someone to discuss
them with. I am extremely grateful to you for making such useful display fonts
available under LaTeX.

Stroller.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bbc_micro
0
stroller (34)
11/7/2006 1:02:59 AM
Stroller <stroller@bigfoot.com>  schrieb:

>> If you had compared \fontsize(10pt) to the font commands you used
>> above you could perhaps get an idea what's wrong and what's missing.
>
> I wonder if I really used  \fontsize(10pt) or  \fontsize{10pt} - I'm
> afraid it was very late when I posted last night. I guess that you may
> be referring to the "\selectfont" command, however LaTeX's syntax is
> in no way clear to me.

\fontsize has two argument (the fontsize and the baselineskip) and yes
you also need a \selectfont after the command (either implicitly or
explicitly).

>> In any way: if is not a good idea to set the default fontfamily and
>> fontsize with a \selectfont command.

> Could I possibly trouble you to explain why, please?

Because at quite a lot of place (e.g. headers) LaTeX inserts a
"\normalfont" command which will not give your wanted default font

>> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>> \usepackage{emerald}
>> \renewcommand\familydefault{\sfdefault}
>> \begin{document}
>>   Here's the body of my text
>>   {\ECFAugie\small Some \footnotesize notes \tiny in the magin}
>>   Body text continues...
>> \end{document}
>
> Many thanks for this. The \small size of Augie is the one I'd like to
> use thoughout the document. I'm sure it must be possible to make this
> a default "scaling" of the font. This would save me setting \small for
> every occurrence of Augie - does anyone have any quick pointers on how
> to do this?

You can put a scaling factor in the fd-files. Or define a command
\newcommand\smallaugie{\ECFAugie\small}

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
e-mail: add my first name between the news and the @.
0
news9686 (1969)
11/7/2006 10:52:44 AM
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 01:02:59 +0000, Stroller <stroller@bigfoot.com> wrote:

	The commands \ECFAugie and the like are supossed to be helpful when
switching to these fonts locally, but if you wanna use the emerald fonts as
"normal" fonts then you must use the "normal" LaTeX font commands. This way,
if you say (in the preamble of the document):

\renewcommand\familydefault{fau}

or

\renewcommand\rmdefault{fau}

then Augie will be used as the main serif font of the document (substituting
cmr). If you say \renewcommand\sfdefault{fau} then Augie will be used
instead of the sans font (cmss). This mechanism is explained in "The LaTeX
companion", a must for any LaTeX user, so I decided not to mention it on the
emerald package documentation (perhaps a bad decission). If you use this
mechanism you do not need to load the package emerald (which only serves to
define the \ECF... commands). The strinf "fau" designates the font family
you want use, the documentation of the emerald package lists the available
font families.

	You must also consider that some of the emerald fonts cannot be used
as normal fonts because they lack a high number of gliphs. This is another
reason because I opted for these special commands.

	Regards.
0
mcesar (27)

Text size and bar chart plot size
The default text size for plots and bar graphs is too small relative to the size of the plot, so we can increase the font size. However, if you increase it too much, the text will collide. I have a bar chart with a text label under each bar along the x axis in 18 pt font, but at this size the text labels collide. I can't reduce the fontsize because it needs to be legible. I would like to space the bars farther apart so the text labels don't overlap. I have tried everything (even changing the bar width, the plot and data aspect ratios; the tick intervals etc), and yes, I know all the pr...

Text size
I am having a html code like below: <tr><td bgcolor=#5CB3FF><h6>(Tentative)</h6></td></tr> I want to remove this h6 tag from this and i still want to reduce the text size. I am not sure as how to use CSS to do so. Can anyone resolve this? Thanks, Deepan On Apr 3, 10:02 am, dorayme <doraymeRidT...@optusnet.com.au> wrote: > In article > <afbe02aa-b44a-4413-a10f-92869c4b5...@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, > Deepan HTML <deepan...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > I am having a html code like below: ...

text sizing
Is there a current "best practice" for text sizing? My goal is a have a web page (web application actually) which looks the same (more or less) on Mac IE5, PC IE6, Mozilla, Konqueror and Safari. (Not NS4!). The page should also scale for user preferance/accessibility reasons. Pixel-perfect layout is *not* a priority; indeed, I have already gone to considerable effort to use (and integrate) these 2 ideas http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors/ http://www.alistapart.com/articles/customcorners/ I am quite happy to style up the entire page (i.e. define sizes for...

Text size
have copied a drawing from a4 to a2 so how do I enlarge the text and dimensions accordingly? Select from the menu: Tools/Options and select the Document Properties folder. Then select Annotations Font and select Dimension. There you can enter the size of the font. ...

text + text
What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? It doesn't seem very useful to me. What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text || text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL Server too, I think (CMIIW). -- dave ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 12:57 schrieb David Garamond: > What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? Nothing. > What a...

Text Size
Hi all. First, is this assumption correct? If controls that have a Font property have the same Font, then the actual text that appears will be the same size and width! Meaning, with TextBoxes, Labels, ListBoxes, command buttons etc, any text in the control will appear the same on the screen if the same font (and size etc) is used. Assuming the above is correct, here's the question :-) I have a Class, It has the following properties. Caption as String, Public Get & Let Font as StdFont, Public Get & Set TextHeigh as Integer, Public Get Private Let TextWidth as Integer, Public Ge...

text-text

Text Size
Hi, Is there anyway of having an image which a user can click on, which would be on the homepage of a website, which would increase the size of the text throughout the site. This would be used instead of the user having to click on the view menu and increase the text size. Any advice with the code required would be greatly appreciated; I'm using Dreamweaver to create the site. Cheers, Cath ...

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly i...

Limiting the amount of text a user can enter in a text box and will be printed in a form where the size cannot be expanded?
What do others do to limit the number of characters a user can enter in a text box? Do you specify the number of characters exactly so that only that number will fit in the text box, thereby preventing the user from overfilling the text entry? Of course, if they do overfill, they can see/view the extra data by using the arrow key to scroll through the text in the field. This has been raised on a project I am doing where these text boxes are ultimately printed on top of preprinted forms. Only so much space for the text box on the form so I cannot use "can expand" properties...

Preferred Size, Minimum Size, Size
I'm a little confused when I should use the various JComponent methods: setPreferredSize, setMinimumSize and setSize. From what I can tell: setPreferredSize(Dimension) - This is (obviously) the preferred size of the component. As far as I can tell, this is used to determine what size the component should be when pack() is used. setMinimumSize - The component cannot be any smaller than this. setSize - Set the current size (hard value). What I'm confused about is... 1. When I should use each method. 2. Currently, when I resize a frame, the JTextBoxes will resize for part of the ti...

Changing Text size
Hello, first of all sorry for the previous similar 4 posts. Have no idea how that happened. Sorry. I am running a program in Matlab 7 and during the simulation i show the state of the system in each iteraction. I want to show tha information in a smaller text size. Can you tell me how can i do that? I am using the command disp(...); Thank You, Miguel Hello Miguel, Text font size, color, and/or style to the Command Window cannot be changed on a per disp/fprintf call. You can only change the font for the entire text in the Command Window in Preferences. I have an enhancement request t...

Text Preferred Size
Is there way to get the preferred size of a text box / uicontrol directly from the Matlab handle? Something like: preferredSize = get(hObject, <preferred size string>) Failing that, can anyone suggest a blog detailing programmatically resizing figures? I don't trust "normalized" units or absolute widths / heights, so I'm currently using findjobj from FEX - but finding it to be very slow. Thanks for any help, Andrew "Andrew " <awbsmith@gmail.com> wrote in message news:lfmc0e$mhg$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > Is there way to get t...

changing the text size
Having looked at this http://robertnyman.com/roblab/javascript-text-size-in-ie.htm Can I SET the browser text size using javascript?? Ross -- Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service ------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com<<<<<<------ Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access ...

Variable Text Size
My application needs to vary the text size. The SuSE 9.3 distribution comes with a Fnlib that should do this, only I can't find any documentation for Fnlib. Any suggestions on where to find Fnlib documentation, or is there another package I could use with X Windows to provide variable text size. Thanks Paul Paul Thompson wrote: > My application needs to vary the text size. The SuSE 9.3 distribution > comes with a Fnlib that should do this, only I can't find any > documentation for Fnlib. > > Any suggestions on where to find Fnlib documentation, or is th...

Web resources about - Emerald fonts - font size? - comp.text.tex

Oregon Daily Emerald - University of Oregon news, sports, opinion and entertainment
University of Oregon news, sports, opinion and entertainment

2004 Emerald Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 2004 Emerald Bowl was a post-season college football bowl game between the New Mexico Lobos and the Navy Midshipmen on December 30, 2004 ...

Social Media Jobs: ISACA, KGW, Emerald Media Group
This week, ISACA is hiring a social media strategist , while KGW needs a director of digital media . Emerald Media Group is seeking a vice president ...

Chronik-Fotos - Emerald City Comicon - Facebook
Just wanted to take a moment to post our policy on harassment on Facebook, it is also on our website, and will be in the program guide. The image... ...

emerald park (@emerald_park) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here emerald park @ emerald_park ...

Emerald Time on the App Store on iTunes
Get Emerald Time on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Emerald City ComicCon 3/13/10 - a set on Flickr
... home Sign Up Explore Recent Photos The Commons Getty Collection Galleries World Map App Garden Camera Finder Flickr Blog Upload Sign In Emerald ...

BØRNS - 10,000 Emerald Pools - YouTube
“10,000 Emerald Pools” available for download iTunes: http://smarturl.it/10K Google Play: http://smarturl.it/10Kgp Amazon MP3: http://smarturl.it/10Kamz ...

Ronan Keating and wife Storm at Emeralds and Ivy Ball
RONAN Keating and his new wife Storm Uechtritz sure know how to pull a crowd.