EPS for AGU journal: "outline" fonts or embed supported fonts?

Hello all,

I am still struggling to get AGU to properly use my EPS figures (in
which text is replaced using psfrag) in the form I intend. My
remaining problem is that it appears the CM fonts are embedded in some
of the figures and that these are not supported by AGU. I say some
because not all figures share this problem.

The solution proposed by AGU is as follows:

"All of the resubmitted figures were used in the proofs you have
 received. However, many of those figures were submitted with fonts
 that were not outlined and with fonts that AGU do not support.  Thus,
 the figures in question (P04, F04, P07, F08, P08 & F08) have taken on
 font substitutes. In order to resolve the font substitute issues,
 please make sure to outline the fonts prior to resubmitting. Doing
 this will make them vector based objects instead of font
 files. Another solution would be to use a more common font style such
 as ARIAL or TIMES NEW ROMAN.  Follows is a list of fonts found that
 we can not support:

 CMR8
 CMR9
 CMR12
 CMSY9
 CMSY10
 CMMI9
"

I was surprised because I did not realize that some figures (from the
same application) have embedded fonts while others are in outline
mode. I am further surprised that AGU do not support CM fonts.

Critically, I do not know how to "outline" fonts at all. What I have
done in producing the final figures is to use the endfloat package to
shift figures to separate pages at the end of my compiled PS file,
extracted each PS page separately and then used ps2eps to convert each
to an EPS file that appears perfectly good in my Ghostview under
GNU/linux.

So I would like to know what this group thinks is a good solution for
this kind of issue. I will document this also in a work-in-progress
document on producing publication-quality EPS figures with latex.

Many thanks in advance,
     Gernot Hassenpflug
--
BOFH excuse #75:

There isn't any problem
0
gernot5721 (142)

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am still struggling to get AGU to properly use my EPS figures (in
> which text is replaced using psfrag) in the form I intend. My
> remaining problem is that it appears the CM fonts are embedded in some
> of the figures and that these are not supported by AGU. I say some
> because not all figures share this problem.
>
> The solution proposed by AGU is as follows:
>
> "All of the resubmitted figures were used in the proofs you have
>  received. However, many of those figures were submitted with fonts
>  that were not outlined and with fonts that AGU do not support.  Thus,
>  the figures in question (P04, F04, P07, F08, P08 & F08) have taken on
>  font substitutes. In order to resolve the font substitute issues,
>  please make sure to outline the fonts prior to resubmitting. Doing
>  this will make them vector based objects instead of font
>  files. Another solution would be to use a more common font style such
>  as ARIAL or TIMES NEW ROMAN.  Follows is a list of fonts found that
>  we can not support:
>
>  CMR8
>  CMR9
>  CMR12
>  CMSY9
>  CMSY10
>  CMMI9
> "
>
> I was surprised because I did not realize that some figures (from the
> same application) have embedded fonts while others are in outline
> mode. I am further surprised that AGU do not support CM fonts.
>
> Critically, I do not know how to "outline" fonts at all. What I have
> done in producing the final figures is to use the endfloat package to
> shift figures to separate pages at the end of my compiled PS file,
> extracted each PS page separately and then used ps2eps to convert each
> to an EPS file that appears perfectly good in my Ghostview under
> GNU/linux.
>
> So I would like to know what this group thinks is a good solution for
> this kind of issue. I will document this also in a work-in-progress
> document on producing publication-quality EPS figures with latex.

i would probably just take the simpler solution of temporarily switching
the font to times (which they would seem to accept easily) and redo the
figures.
0
none8140 (304)
2/5/2008 8:54:37 AM
Tom Micevski <none@none.au> writes:

> Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am still struggling to get AGU to properly use my EPS figures (in
>> which text is replaced using psfrag) in the form I intend. My
>> remaining problem is that it appears the CM fonts are embedded in some
>> of the figures and that these are not supported by AGU. I say some
>> because not all figures share this problem.
/../
>> I was surprised because I did not realize that some figures (from the
>> same application) have embedded fonts while others are in outline
>> mode. I am further surprised that AGU do not support CM fonts.
>>
>> Critically, I do not know how to "outline" fonts at all. What I have
>> done in producing the final figures is to use the endfloat package to
>> shift figures to separate pages at the end of my compiled PS file,
>> extracted each PS page separately and then used ps2eps to convert each
>> to an EPS file that appears perfectly good in my Ghostview under
>> GNU/linux.
>>
>> So I would like to know what this group thinks is a good solution for
>> this kind of issue. I will document this also in a work-in-progress
>> document on producing publication-quality EPS figures with latex.
>
> i would probably just take the simpler solution of temporarily
> switching the font to times (which they would seem to accept easily)
> and redo the figures.

OK, that I have as a backup solution :-) In case there are no other
comments that is what I shall do. The idea of "outlining" fonts is not
appealing to me, and I am surprised that some are in fact
outlined. That is something I will be reading up on further.

Many thanks again,
     Gernot
--
NICT, Tokyo
0

What "Preferences" Font Setting Determines the "Datatips" Font?
I'd like to specify a particular font ("ProFontWindows" 8pt or 9pt) for the "Datatips". Where in "File" > "Preferences" > "Fonts" do I need to go to set it? I realize this is trivial as problems go, but I can't figure it out! Thanks! Vi�arr ----------------- Hi Vi�arr, the datatips follow the font that the Editor uses: File --> Preferences --> Fonts --> "Desktop code font." (You can also specify a particular font for the Editor under Fonts --> Custom.) Jared "Vi�arr" <g-w-bush-is-...

"Fonts" and "Faces"
Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces Each of them having Special Places (to be sung to the tune of "Love and Marriage" in the musical "Our Town"! I just want to anchor down the correct terminology. A "font" is such as Arno Pro and a "face" is, in the context of Arno Pro, "bold" or "italic" or "regular" and so on. So, the question is, am I correct? -- James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@me.com TaliesinSoft wrote: > Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces > Each of them having Special Places > > ...

combining "text-align: center" and "font-size: 22px"

"outlined" fonts?
At the risk of asking another DAQ :-) and also not strictly a matlab question... The boss wants some of the annotation on his plots in Time New Roman, with the letters outlined in black, with the region within the lines in white (what I'd call an "outlined font"). a) is that possible without adding a new font? Can the solution be generalized to fonts other than TNR b) if the answer to a is yes, how? I didn't see any properties that looked like they would do the trick. c) if the answer to a is no, do any of you know where I can find such fonts (preferably for fre...

help with font error: "Could not find/open font when opening font arial, using internal non-scalable font"
Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the above message when I try to run the following script. Can someone please educate me? :-) Thanks! set term png set output '| display png:-' # cool trick plot sin(x) with lines Setting the term font does not help: set term png font arial 14 size 800,600 Also, according to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I, I should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation Liberatio...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

[fonts] Installing "local" fonts (lm)
Hello, I recently tried to install fonts locally. I've got a local directory (let's say /mydir/latex) which contains a texmf directory. This dir (/mydir/latex) is exported to appear in $TEXINPUTS and i can successfully use packages installed in /mydir/latex/texmf/latex for example. As I was trying to install fonts (lm - latin modern - http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/) I ended up with an issue (cannot use the fonts). Sadly, http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts did not help, or i missed something trivial... Here is how I actually did this : 1/ extra...

"security" font
Hello, I need to find a "security" font to use as a background watermark on a document (ie, on a legal document, the customer's name is repeatedly printed in faint 8 point type angled at 45 degrees all over the page). I've tried to recreate this by using outline fonts, but the printed results at 300 and 600 dpi don't look very good. I've tried to stroke it using different dashed lines, by turning the glyphs into a path and filling using a stippled pattern, and by simply changing the gray level - but the results are only reliable at 1200dpi, and most of our customer...

"Font not available" error. How do I get the font??
Hi All, I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the alternative to replace the original fonts with some others. However, in the above described situation, how can I get this or that font? Specially when it tells me the "font family so and so" is not available? TIA, jbr On Jun 20, 2006, BigBen wrote: > Hi All, > > I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that > some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the > altern...

What does r"""any text""" mean ?
.... as you can find in os.py at line 1 ? Regards Alexander Alexander Eisenhuth wrote: > ... as you can find in os.py at line 1 ? Please don't split your request between subject and body. String literals enclosed in triple quotes are multiline strings. String literals prefixed by "r" are raw strings. http://docs.python.org/ref/strings.html Regards, Bj�rn -- BOFH excuse #71: The file system is full of it Hi Alexander, Alexander Eisenhuth wrote: > ... as you can find in os.py at line 1 ? This is a raw string. Raw strings don't interpret the escape sequences...

correct "sizing" of Helvetica font, relative to various times-new-roman fonts, to have both fonts have the same x-height
Greetings! I hope the following isn't an faq (at least, it doesn't seem to be in the UK TUG FAQ). Basically, my question comes up because I'm involved in a project that requires the use of "Times New Roman" (hereafter, TNR) as the main text font and "Helvetica" as the sans-serif font. I use both TexLive 2010 and MikTeX 2.9 on PCs and TexLive/MacTeX 2010 on an iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.5. As is well known, Helvetica and TNR differ considerably in their x- heights (for a given font size of, say, 10pt or 12pt). In various packages. (The letters u,...

Displaying text in "uninstalled" font?
Dear all, If I take the following postscript-file: %!PS-Adobe-3.0 /Arial findfont 15 scalefont setfont 72 200 moveto (text) show showpage then it nicely displays the "text" in Arial, if opening in Adobe Illustrato= r CS6 Tryout. But I want it to display in Myriad Pro, so I should change the findfont-com= mand:=20 /Myriad-Pro findfont or something like that. However, this gives rise to the error: Font not found on the system; missing font has been substituted. Of course, Myriad Pro IS installed in AI CS6. Please note that it is NOT an option to chang...

Web resources about - EPS for AGU journal: "outline" fonts or embed supported fonts? - comp.text.tex