equal column width matrix?

My supervisor would like his matrices to have equal column
width.   That means that a 0 entry would be centred in
enough blank space to make the column width as wide as
the widest entry in the matrix.   This can probably be
hacked by measuring the widest entry and having the
other entries centred in a hbox that wide.  But is there
a more elegant and automatic way to do this?

David
0
David

In article <dalton-B09DCC.16593403022011@news.eternal-september.org>,
 David Dalton <dalton@nfld.com> wrote:

> My supervisor would like his matrices to have equal column
> width.   That means that a 0 entry would be centred in
> enough blank space to make the column width as wide as
> the widest entry in the matrix.   This can probably be
> hacked by measuring the widest entry and having the
> other entries centred in a hbox that wide.  But is there
> a more elegant and automatic way to do this?

I forgot to mention that we are using the array
environment in LaTeX.

David
0
David
2/3/2011 11:05:56 PM
Le 04/02/2011 00:05, David Dalton a �crit :
> In article<dalton-B09DCC.16593403022011@news.eternal-september.org>,
>   David Dalton<dalton@nfld.com>  wrote:
>
>> My supervisor would like his matrices to have equal column
>> width.   That means that a 0 entry would be centred in
>> enough blank space to make the column width as wide as
>> the widest entry in the matrix.   This can probably be
>> hacked by measuring the widest entry and having the
>> other entries centred in a hbox that wide.  But is there
>> a more elegant and automatic way to do this?
>
> I forgot to mention that we are using the array
> environment in LaTeX.
>
> David

You can try the tabu package as in:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[delarray]{tabu}

\begin{document}\makeatletter
{

$\begin{tabu}spread 1in|{*4{X[$c]}}|
     \alpha & \beta & \gamma & \delta \\
     \sum_i \frac{a_i}{x_i} & 0 & \cdot & \cdot \\
\end{tabu}$
}

\end{document}\endinput

But it still under development...

It's not possible to give standard l, c, r columns a specific width,
instead, embed your math content into a paragraph column

	>{$}m{width}<{$}

This is what tabu does, measuring the widths to make them
equal: "X[$c]" replaces
	">{\centering\arraybackslash}}>{$}p{some dimen}<{$}"

GL

How can I make first x rows of column z of a matrix equal to n, then skip x rows, then make the next x rows equal to n, and so on until the end of the column?
To repeat the question: How can I make first x rows of column z of a matrix equal to n, then skip x rows, then make the next x rows equal to n, and so on until the end of the column? For example, let's say I have a 100x3 matrix called skip_matrix. I want to make the first 10 rows of column 3 of skip_matrix equal to 2, then skip 10 rows, then make the following 10 rows equal to 2, then skip 10 rows, then make the following 10 rows equal to 2, and so on until the end of the column. So, after all is said and done, rows 1-10, 21-30, 41-50, 61-70, and 81-90 of column 3 should be equal to 2. ...

A matrix that selects some predetermined columns from another matrix to produce a matrix that cosists of those columns
Hi, I would like to come up with a matrix to takes some columns of another matrix and puts them into the other matrix. For example, for X = [x1 x2 x3 x4] where xi is n x 1 vector, XJ = [x2 x3]. So, J has to be n x 2. Thanks in advance! usuiisu usuiisu <ikuyasu@gmail.com> wrote in message <526a92f2-79e0-450e-bceb-7bd8a838a661@30g2000yql.googlegroups.com>... > Hi, > > I would like to come up with a matrix to takes some columns of another > matrix > and puts them into the other matrix. For example, > for X = [x1 x2 x3 x4] where xi is n x 1 vecto...

get width of variable-width font text in pixels for treeview column resize
I have a treeview object with a column that could have a lot of text in it.= I'd like to resize the column to be as big as the largest item. With a hor= izontal scrollbar, the user could then see all of the text. However, I can'= t figure out how to get the width of the text that was added to the item. S= o I can set the size to be some wild guess based on the number of character= s, but my font is variable-width, so this is likely to be very wrong. To help explain my dilemma, here's an example. The following script creates= a treeview widget and a horizontal scrollbar. It then ...

How to set width of text input to physical text width
I have a grid. When the focus is put on a cell an input is created with the value being the cell's text. I would like to size the input to the physical width of the text. Ideas? John function editCell (cell) { if (document.getElementById) { cell.normalize(); var input = document.createElement('INPUT'); input.setAttribute('value', cell.firstChild.nodeValue); input.setAttribute('size', cell.firstChild.nodeValue.length); //RATHER THAN SET THE SIZE, I WOULD PREFER TO SET STYLE WIDTH input.onblur = function (evt) { setCell(this.parentNode,t...

Convert two matrixes ca and y with 2 columns in a matrix w with on column ca and one column y
Dear Matlab User, I have following problem. I use a programm called dynare it is written to make the use of Matlab easy. By this programm I get in Matlab two matrizes one is called ca and one is called y. Each of these matrizes consist of n artifical time series produced by matlab written in the colums of the matrix. for example: ca=[5 8 and y = [4 3 1 2] 3 1] and now I want to convert them in w =[ca y]=[5 4 1 3] and another w=[ca]=[8 3 2 1] Is their an easy matlab code to do that? I have Matrizes with 5000 columns. Thanks in advance Julia Julia Hof...

Adding Text columns to a Matrix
Hello, I have created a variable A = zeros(5,5). The first three columns contain double values. I have another variable which contains strings for example 'Yes' or 'No'. I am trying to add this variable to A(:,4) (to make it as the fourth column) but I keep getting an error which says " The following error occurred converting from cell to double: Error using ==> double Conversion to double from cell is not possible." I am not sure what I am doing wrong. It should be quite straight forward. Can someone help? Thanks "Raju Gain" <supernova5271@yahoo.c...

Treectrl
Hi all, I am using treectrl v2.1 to display a table of data. Is it possible to configure the table so that the columns all end up the same width? If I resize the window, I would like the extra space to be assigned equally amongst the columns so that they still remain of equal width. Is this possible? thanks, dan. > I am using treectrl v2.1 to display a table of data. Is it possible to > configure the table so that the columns all end up the same width? If I > resize the window, I would like the extra space to be assigned equally > amongst the columns so that they still remain ...

ODBC: Width of a Unicode text Column...
Hi folks. In A2003, I am sometimes getting an error when I try to open a pass through query or display, via DAO, field information from an ODBC connected table. I've never generated this error in A97 apps and, indeed, this is happening on A2003 apps converted from very robust A97 apps that operated for years (and still operate) reliably. The error is: 3702 The width of a unicode text column must be an even number of bytes. Anyone know what this is referring to and what to do about it? My c/s back end is Oracle 8i if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance. -- Tim http:...

How to check if all entries in columns of a matrix are equal?
I have a matrix of growing length for example a 4-by-x matrix A where x is increasing in a loop. I want to find the last column index c where all columns before c, each, carry one single number. The matrix A can look like: A = [1 2 3 4; 1 2 3 5; 1 2 3 1; 1 2 3 0]; where c=3, and x=4. At each iteration of the loop where A grows in length, the value c also changes (grows bigger). Therefore, at each iteration of the loop, I want to update the value of c. How efficiently can I code this? Thanks. On 08/03/2015 7:49 PM, Elnaz wrote: > I have a matrix of growing leng...

Equal column widths in array environment
Hi all, Is there an *easy* (logical?) way of obtaining equal column widths in an array environment? This problem has been solved in a tabular environment, and there are numerous solutions. I'm looking for a solution in the following by any way of the following, if possible: [1] defining a new column type (that works in math mode) for columns that should be the same width (like p{..} for tabular); or [2] defining a new environment altogether, similar to array that works in math mode The above may be achieved either if the largest column width is known, or better, if it is not. One sol...

tabular, columns centered with equal width
Hi there, I've got a little problem formatting tabulars. I want to use a tabular, say: \begin {tabular} {|c|c|c|} \hline 1& 2& 345 \\ \hline \end {tabular} The Problem occuring at this point is, that the last column is far wider than the other two. I want all columns to have the equal width, but be centered at the same time as well. The problem, in short, is that the options c and p{...} cannot e used all together. -- Johannes Reinhard Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish. Albert Einstein Got a solution using arry.sty and tabularx.sty \usepackage {a...

Making a matrix with equal rows and columns
I have a matrix value of 64 x 1 now I need to make this matrix as 8 x 8. How do I do that, if my matrix is 200 x 1 then How do i take a matrix of equal rows and columns. Please help me out . "vineet" <prasath_79@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eeea9f2.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > I have a matrix value of 64 x 1 now I need to make this matrix as 8 x > 8. How do I do that, if my matrix is 200 x 1 then How do i take a > matrix of equal rows and columns. Please help me out . That's easy... make it 14.142135623731 by 14.142135623731. If that's not the answer, perhap...

Normalizing matrix (rows AND columns equal to 1)
I'm working on a specific matrix and I need to normalize the sum of the elements in all the rows and all the columns to be equal to 1. I have managed to create the codes to do both separately but does anyone know how to obtain both simultaneously? thank you!!! On 11/21/2012 4:55 PM, zuzia wrote: > I'm working on a specific matrix and I need to normalize the sum of the > elements in all the rows and all the columns to be equal to 1. I have > managed to create the codes to do both separately but does anyone know > how to obtain both simultaneously? > thank you!!! ...

Moving columns below other columns, in a matrix
Hi everyone! Say I have a 6x6 matrix - what is the easiest way of moving the rightmost 3 columns below the leftmost 3 columns, such that the matrix becomes 12x3? Thanks for any help! On May 5, 3:51=A0pm, "Catalin Eberhardt" <longtal...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi everyone! > > Say I have a 6x6 matrix - what is the easiest way of moving the rightmost= 3 columns below the leftmost 3 columns, such that the matrix becomes 12x3? > > Thanks for any help! A =3D magic(6); B =3D [A(:,1:3);A(:,4:6)] or: B =3D [reshape(A(:,1:3:end),[],1) reshape(A(:,2:3:...

Web resources about - equal column width matrix? - comp.text.tex

The Matrix (franchise) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Matrix is a science fiction action media franchise created by Andy and Larry Wachowski and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures . The series ...

People are getting Matrix-style brain implants to boost their memory
Like something out of the Matrix, we're entering an era where it may be possible to boost your memory with a few zaps to the brain. A few dozen ...

September 2015: Unofficial Problem Bank list declines to 276 Institutions, Q3 2015 Transition Matrix
... and Anthem Bank & Trust, Plaquemine, LA ($136 million). With it being the end of the third quarter, we bring an update on the transition matrix. ...

New Film Theory Suggests Neo Isn't The One In The Matrix Trilogy
... The latest video from the Youtube channel, The Film Theorists , presents a theory that Mr. Anderson is NOT the One in the Wachowskis' The Matrix ...

Matrix-style Brain Implant Could Boost Memory
DARPA researchers want to place electrode arrays on brains to improve recall and reinforce muscle memories that don't exist.

Enter The Matrix! This iPad App Lets You "See" Wi-Fi Signals
... over everything. If you could see it, everything around us would ripple with information, like dropping a tab of acid after watching The Matrix ...

Artificial Intelligence: What is the Matrix?
... as “dot com”. Our imaginations were running wild when at the perfect moment Warner Brothers released its science fiction classic “The Matrix”. ...

Holometer finds no evidence we’re living in a Matrix-like hologram … so far
Is our universe a two-dimensional hologram? It sounds like science fiction straight from “The Matrix,” but scientists are checking out the hypothesis ...

The Matrix Glitches as Black-and-White Comic The Walking Dead Becomes a Coloring Book
The Walking Dead comic book is a relative rarity in the world of modern, mainstream comic, as each issue is in greyscale, rather than the normal ...

Building the Infinite Matrix of Tamagotchis
... is also something of an Architect, and like all Architects he only wants what is best for the system he created. In this case, it’s a Matrix ...