Equation with right or left flushed text

I want to have some "standard" equations, possible within gather or
similar environments, with centered formula bodies but want to have a
zero width box containing text at the extreme left.  For example I
would like output to look like this:

Einstein's Formula    E = mc^2                (23)

where (23) is the equation number, E=mc^2 is centered (or positioned
as it should be within given environment) without regard to widths of
Einstein's Formula or (23).  \shoveleft seems only to go back to the
left most part of series of equations rather than the left margin.

Any suggestions or help gratefully appreciated.  ds

david.mrlucky.schwartz@gmail.com wrote:
> I want to have some "standard" equations, possible within gather or
> similar environments, with centered formula bodies but want to have a
> zero width box containing text at the extreme left.  For example I
> would like output to look like this:
>
> Einstein's Formula    E = mc^2                (23)
>
> where (23) is the equation number, E=mc^2 is centered (or positioned
> as it should be within given environment) without regard to widths of
> Einstein's Formula or (23).  \shoveleft seems only to go back to the
> left most part of series of equations rather than the left margin.
>
> Any suggestions or help gratefully appreciated.  ds

\begin{flalign}
\text{Einstein's Formula}
&
E &= mc^2
&&
\end{flalign}

untested

/daleif
0
daleif (791)
3/21/2009 8:50:26 AM
david.mrlucky.schwartz@gmail.com schrieb:
> I want to have some "standard" equations, possible within gather or
> similar environments, with centered formula bodies but want to have a
> zero width box containing text at the extreme left.  For example I
> would like output to look like this:
>
> Einstein's Formula    E = mc^2                (23)
>
> where (23) is the equation number, E=mc^2 is centered (or positioned
> as it should be within given environment) without regard to widths of
> Einstein's Formula or (23).  \shoveleft seems only to go back to the
> left most part of series of equations rather than the left margin.
>
> Any suggestions or help gratefully appreciated.  ds

\begin{flalign}
\makebox[0pt][l]{Einstein's Formula}
&&
E &= mc2
&&
\end{flalign}

Herbert
Herbert Voss wrote:
> david.mrlucky.schwartz@gmail.com schrieb:
>> I want to have some "standard" equations, possible within gather or
>> similar environments, with centered formula bodies but want to have a
>> zero width box containing text at the extreme left.  For example I
>> would like output to look like this:
>>
>> Einstein's Formula    E = mc^2                (23)
>>
>> where (23) is the equation number, E=mc^2 is centered (or positioned
>> as it should be within given environment) without regard to widths of
>> Einstein's Formula or (23).  \shoveleft seems only to go back to the
>> left most part of series of equations rather than the left margin.
>>
>> Any suggestions or help gratefully appreciated.  ds
>

> \begin{flalign}
> \makebox[0pt][l]{Einstein's Formula}
> &&
> E &= mc2
> &&
> \end{flalign}
>
> Herbert

simpler (and to me with better look-out):

\begin{flalign}
\text{Einstein's Formula}
&&
     E &= mc^2
&
\end{flalign}

regards,	Zarko

On Mar 20, 9:43 pm, david.mrlucky.schwa...@gmail.com wrote:

> would like output to look like this:
>
> Einstein's Formula    E = mc^2                (23)

Ah that brings back memories of perhaps the very
first TeX macro I ever made,,,

% Make an alignment display with equation numbers on the  right and
% one group label on the left.  The group label is in an hbox, so
% have to supply $'s for math.
%  \lreqalignno{group label}{ LHS &= RHS &individual number \cr ... }
%%
\def\lreqalignno#1#2{\rlap{#1}\vcenter{\eqalignno{#2}}}

Donald Arseneau
0
asnd (4601)