Font installation problems "Font shape undefined"

I'm trying to install Adobe Sabon and Adobe Trade Gothic on a Linux
system running e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1

I have Trade Gothic installed properly, but when I try to use Sabon in
my document, LaTeX says:

  LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/psbx/m/n' undefined
  (Font)              using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 96.

I have all fd files installed under
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/sabon and the other files under
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/sabon. I have run texhash after putting
the files there. The files for Trade Gothic are installed in a similar
way. What else could be wrong?

 Martin Magnusson <martin@xx-blecket-xx.org> writes:
>I'm trying to install Adobe Sabon and Adobe Trade Gothic on a Linux
>system running e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1
>
>I have Trade Gothic installed properly, but when I try to use Sabon in
>my document, LaTeX says:
>
>  LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/psbx/m/n' undefined
>  (Font)              using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 96.
>
>I have all fd files installed under
>/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/sabon and the other files under
>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/sabon.

this isn't good policy: the texmf-local tree is for additions like this.

>I have run texhash after putting
>the files there. The files for Trade Gothic are installed in a similar
>way. What else could be wrong?

last i looked, there wasn't an adobe sabon expert, but it appears
there is now (though you don't say so, i presume that's what you're
installing).  i note that the fontname list doesn't mention it.

does t1psbx.fd exist on the tree?  it won't be there if you didn't
rename the adobe file sa*x{_ to fill} to psbr8x.afm (as would be the
case if you were using a script based on the fontname table).
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>  Martin Magnusson <martin@xx-blecket-xx.org> writes:
>
>>I'm trying to install Adobe Sabon and Adobe Trade Gothic on a Linux
>>system running e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1
>>
>>I have Trade Gothic installed properly, but when I try to use Sabon in
>>my document, LaTeX says:
>>
>> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/psbx/m/n' undefined
>> (Font)              using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 96.
>>
>>I have all fd files installed under
>>/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/sabon and the other files under
>>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/sabon.
>

> this isn't good policy: the texmf-local tree is for additions like this.
>

>>I have run texhash after putting
>>the files there. The files for Trade Gothic are installed in a similar
>>way. What else could be wrong?
>

> last i looked, there wasn't an adobe sabon expert, but it appears
> there is now (though you don't say so, i presume that's what you're
> installing).  i note that the fontname list doesn't mention it.
>
> does t1psbx.fd exist on the tree?

Nope, it didn't. I only had t1psb.fd there. Now I found the t1psbx.fd
and copied it to the right place (and also moved all of the files to
/usr/local/share/texmf instead), and now everything works.

Thanks a lot!

[fonts] Installing "local" fonts (lm)
Hello, I recently tried to install fonts locally. I've got a local directory (let's say /mydir/latex) which contains a texmf directory. This dir (/mydir/latex) is exported to appear in $TEXINPUTS and i can successfully use packages installed in /mydir/latex/texmf/latex for example. As I was trying to install fonts (lm - latin modern - http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/) I ended up with an issue (cannot use the fonts). Sadly, http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts did not help, or i missed something trivial... Here is how I actually did this : 1/ extract the zip file as advised by the documentation (fonts dir in texmf/fonts, docs in texmf/doc, tex in texmf/latex) 2/ make updmap find the lm.map and use it : updmap --enable Map /mydir/latex/texmf/fonts/map/lm.map 3/ update the list of packages/fonts in texmf : mktexlsr /mydir/latex/texmf) 4/ try to use it in tex files... Here it goes... => kpathsea: Running mktextfm ec-lmss9 mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9 This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6) kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-lmss9 ! I can't find file `ec-lmss9'. <*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9 (and the same goes for all lm classes :s) So my guess is that kpathsea does not find the directory /mydir/latex (that's why i tried to put the full path to lm.map with updmap), is there an easyway to tell kpathsea to add /mydir/latex ...

What "Preferences" Font Setting Determines the "Datatips" Font?
I'd like to specify a particular font ("ProFontWindows" 8pt or 9pt) for the "Datatips". Where in "File" > "Preferences" > "Fonts" do I need to go to set it? I realize this is trivial as problems go, but I can't figure it out! Thanks! Vi�arr ----------------- Hi Vi�arr, the datatips follow the font that the Editor uses: File --> Preferences --> Fonts --> "Desktop code font." (You can also specify a particular font for the Editor under Fonts --> Custom.) Jared "Vi�arr" <g-w-bush-is-...

"Fonts" and "Faces"
Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces Each of them having Special Places (to be sung to the tune of "Love and Marriage" in the musical "Our Town"! I just want to anchor down the correct terminology. A "font" is such as Arno Pro and a "face" is, in the context of Arno Pro, "bold" or "italic" or "regular" and so on. So, the question is, am I correct? -- James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@me.com TaliesinSoft wrote: > Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces > Each of them having Special Places > > ...

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

combining "text-align: center" and "font-size: 22px"

Fonts problem when exporting text with "Gemini export"
Maybe someone knows a solution. I regularly extract text from PDF files using the commercial tool ""Gemini export"". This works in general very well. From time to time I get something like " ___ --- _ �". This occurs I assume when the fonts are not on my PC or when the file has been generated on another system (MAC or Unix). There is no problem to view or print the PDF file though. Does anyone know a workaround? Thanks massion@gmx.de (FMAS) wrote: >I regularly extract text from PDF using the commercial tool ""Gemini export"". > >...

help with font error: "Could not find/open font when opening font arial, using internal non-scalable font"
Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the above message when I try to run the following script. Can someone please educate me? :-) Thanks! set term png set output '| display png:-' # cool trick plot sin(x) with lines Setting the term font does not help: set term png font arial 14 size 800,600 Also, according to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I, I should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation LiberationMono-Bold.ttf LiberationSans-Regular.ttf LiberationMono-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf LiberationMono-Italic.ttf LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationMono-Regular.ttf LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf LiberationSans-Bold.ttf LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf LiberationSans-BoldItalic.ttf fonts.dir LiberationSans-Italic.ttf fonts.scale But when I try setting GDFONTPATH, it still gets the same error: rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font Rich Cook wrote: > H...

[FONT] problem with "classicthesis"
Hi, I am in trouble with "classicthesis" package, because when TeXnicCenter compiles the project (caused by my click) a warning message appears: Font shape T1/pplj/m/sc undefined...." and the font is sobstituted by standard cmr font. I use MikTeX 2.4 (not up to date) under Windows 2000. Please bear with me, I know my english is not that good. Thank you. Regards, SBS. "SBS" <spam@your.mother.fuk> writes: > Hi, > I am in trouble with "classicthesis" package, > because when TeXnicCenter compiles the project > (caused by my click) a warning message appears: > Font shape T1/pplj/m/sc undefined...." and the font > is sobstituted by standard cmr font. > > I use MikTeX 2.4 (not up to date) under Windows > 2000. I think you'll need to install the fpl fonts. Probably, the MikTeX package update thingy wizard has a checkbox for those, but I wouldn't know. HTH Ulrich -- http://talcum.sarovar.org/ (Current release: 0.5.138 20050911) *Ulrich M. Schwarz* wrote: ::: I am in trouble with "classicthesis" package, ::: because when TeXnicCenter compiles the project ::: (caused by my click) a warning message appears: ::: Font shape T1/pplj/m/sc undefined...." and the font ::: is sobstituted by standard cmr font. :: I think you'll need to install the fpl fonts. Probably, the :: MikTeX package update thingy wizard has a checkbox :: for those, but I wouldn't know. ...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

"Font not available" error. How do I get the font??
Hi All, I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the alternative to replace the original fonts with some others. However, in the above described situation, how can I get this or that font? Specially when it tells me the "font family so and so" is not available? TIA, jbr On Jun 20, 2006, BigBen wrote: > Hi All, > > I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that > some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the > altern...

"security" font
Hello, I need to find a "security" font to use as a background watermark on a document (ie, on a legal document, the customer's name is repeatedly printed in faint 8 point type angled at 45 degrees all over the page). I've tried to recreate this by using outline fonts, but the printed results at 300 and 600 dpi don't look very good. I've tried to stroke it using different dashed lines, by turning the glyphs into a path and filling using a stippled pattern, and by simply changing the gray level - but the results are only reliable at 1200dpi, and most of our customer...

wxMac Font bug and "fix"; was RE: Need to install Classic problem on OSX 10.4.7
On 8/17/06, John Labenski <jlabenski@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/17/06, Stefan Csomor <csomor@advancedconcepts.ch> wrote: > > > everything compiles fine so I compile the minimal sample and > > > when I run it I get a dialog that says > > > > > > "Classic cannot find a Mac OS 9 system folder on the startup > > > disk to use" > > > "You may need to install Mac OS 9.1 or later (Classic support)" > > > > > > What gives? Can I just make wxWidgets work for OSX only? I > > > want...

RE: wxMac Font bug and "fix"; was RE: Need to install Classic problem on OSX 10.4.7
Hi=20 > There's a loop in this code, I don't understand why everyone=20 > doesn't have this same problem since wxStockGDI::GetFont just=20 > calls wxSystemSettingsNative::GetFont which calls=20 > wxStockGDI::GetFont... >=20 > Also note: from include/wx/gdicmn.h > #define wxNORMAL_FONT =20 > wxStockGDI::instance().GetFont(wxStockGDI::FONT_NORMAL) > #define wxSMALL_FONT =20 > wxStockGDI::instance().GetFont(wxStockGDI::FONT_SMALL) >=20 > I'm guessing that the fix should go into=20 > src/mac/carbon/settings.cpp since the other ...

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

Linux font problems "fixed"? Not at all
I installed Ubuntu, and used it for a while with Gnome. Decent system, but Gnome is barren compared to the features and system tools in KDE, so I upgraded it to Kubuntu with 'apt-get install kubuntu-desktop'. Whoops. Big mistake, as the 'upgrade' royally screws up the font handling. Fonts sized 12 are almost too small to read. The various screen resolutions are fouled up, too. 1024x768 results in nearly unreadable text. But if you back the res down to 800x600, the font sizes hardly change. You get a huge taskbar and icons, with little tiny text. Open a text file and it&...

Displaying text in "uninstalled" font?
Dear all, If I take the following postscript-file: %!PS-Adobe-3.0 /Arial findfont 15 scalefont setfont 72 200 moveto (text) show showpage then it nicely displays the "text" in Arial, if opening in Adobe Illustrato= r CS6 Tryout. But I want it to display in Myriad Pro, so I should change the findfont-com= mand:=20 /Myriad-Pro findfont or something like that. However, this gives rise to the error: Font not found on the system; missing font has been substituted. Of course, Myriad Pro IS installed in AI CS6. Please note that it is NOT an option to change the font in AI, I want this = to be incorporated in the postscript file (which is programmatically genera= ted by myself). I checked the manuals (Bluebook, Language Specification,...= ) but could not find it. Probably I'm overlooking something. Could anyone offer me some help please? Thanks very much in advance, Jef In article <81efedba-9097-4e4b-9abe-dc5abe5e299a@googlegroups.com>, <jef_dex@yahoo.com> wrote: >Dear all, > >If I take the following postscript-file: > >%!PS-Adobe-3.0 >/Arial findfont >15 scalefont >setfont >72 200 moveto >(text) show >showpage > >then it nicely displays the "text" in Arial, if opening in Adobe Illustrator CS6 Tryout. > >But I want it to display in Myriad Pro, so I should change the findfont-command: > >/Myriad-Pro findfont > >or something l...

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

Font Book vs. "Those Professional Font Managers"
Here's an example of something that is trivial to do in Apple's Font Book and I'm curious as to how easily the same thing is accomplished in one of the "professional" font managers such as Font Explorer or Suitcase Fusion. When Adobe's Creative Suite 2 is installed a folder is created in Library/Application Support/Fonts that contains some 180 .otf files each of which contains a single face within a font family. Thus a given font family can be represented by one or more .otf files. What is helpful (at least to me) is to place all of the .otf files for a given ...

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

about "++" and "--"

"my" and "our"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"or" and "and"

Web resources about - Font installation problems "Font shape undefined" - comp.text.tex