Font shape `OT1/cmr/bx/sc' undefined

I need/want *bold smallcaps* for chapter titles in my thesis, so I do

     \Large\bfseries\scshape{Chapter Title}

but I get this:

 > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmr/bx/sc' undefined
 > (Font)              using `OT1/cmr/bx/n' instead on input line 1.

There is a package 'bold-extra' that is a work-around, but I am not
happy with it because:
a. it is a work-around,
b. it gives rough chainsaw-like edges to the letters,
c. it makes the letters slightly bolder than they should be.

Any better solutions than 'bold-extra' for my problem?

Regards,
George

0
george5130 (47)

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 02:03:06 -0700, George Varsamopoulos
<george@turing.eas.asu.edu> wrote:

> I need/want *bold smallcaps* for chapter titles in my thesis, so I do
>
>      \Large\bfseries\scshape{Chapter Title}
>
> but I get this:
>
>  > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmr/bx/sc' undefined
>  > (Font)              using `OT1/cmr/bx/n' instead on input line 1.
>
> There is a package 'bold-extra' that is a work-around, but I am not
> happy with it because:
> a. it is a work-around,
> b. it gives rough chainsaw-like edges to the letters,
> c. it makes the letters slightly bolder than they should be.
>
> Any better solutions than 'bold-extra' for my problem?

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} will provide you with bold small caps in
(European) Computer Modern.
--
Morten H�gholm
I haven't got a smelly address.
Morten H�gholm wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 02:03:06 -0700, George Varsamopoulos
> <george@turing.eas.asu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I need/want *bold smallcaps* for chapter titles in my thesis, so I do
>>
>>      \Large\bfseries\scshape{Chapter Title}
>>
>> but I get this:
>>
>>  > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmr/bx/sc' undefined
>>  > (Font)              using `OT1/cmr/bx/n' instead on input line 1.
>>
>> There is a package 'bold-extra' that is a work-around, but I am not
>> happy with it because:
>> a. it is a work-around,
>> b. it gives rough chainsaw-like edges to the letters,
>> c. it makes the letters slightly bolder than they should be.
>>
>> Any better solutions than 'bold-extra' for my problem?
>

> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} will provide you with bold small caps in
> (European) Computer Modern.

And for (USA) Computer Modern?
(the suggested action messed up with character and line spacing)

0
george5130 (47)
8/29/2004 10:27:20 AM
George Varsamopoulos <george@turing.eas.asu.edu> wrote:

> And for (USA) Computer Modern?
> (the suggested action messed up with character and line spacing)

Really ? I didn't know there were such problems with ec...
I personaly use lmodern but it doesn't have bold small caps.
However, cm-super does, I think.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

LaTeX command:
\allcaps{WhaT evEr I wrIte Here is all-cAps}

output:
WHAT EVER I WRITE HERE IS ALL-CAPS

Regards,
George

0
george5130 (47)
8/29/2004 12:05:48 PM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 05:05:48 -0700, George Varsamopoulos
<george@turing.eas.asu.edu> wrote:

> (Until I find a satisfying solution to smallcaps)
> Is there a package/command that offers an all-caps (not small-caps)
> functionality? Something like this:
>
> LaTeX command:
> \allcaps{WhaT evEr I wrIte Here is all-cAps}

\MakeUppercase{fRom the LateX cORe}
--
Morten H�gholm
I haven't got a smelly address.
UK-TUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
moho01ab5415 (737)
8/29/2004 12:39:46 PM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:38:59 +0200, Julien Salort <lists@juliensalort.org>
wrote:

> George Varsamopoulos <george@turing.eas.asu.edu> wrote:
>
>> And for (USA) Computer Modern?
>> (the suggested action messed up with character and line spacing)

line spacing?

> Really ? I didn't know there were such problems with ec...
> I personaly use lmodern but it doesn't have bold small caps.

bold small caps are a rare sight actually.

> However, cm-super does, I think.

Yes (because it's the ec fonts).

If one wants to stick to OT1 encoding in the normal text (even though it's
not recommended) a possible solution could be to switch to the T1 encoding
for just the bold small caps:

\documentclass{article}
\makeatletter
%% from fix-cm.sty
%% Read the documentation to see why...
\DeclareFontShape{T1}{cmr}{bx}{sc}{
         <-6>    ecxc0500
         <6-7>   ecxc0600
         <7-8>   ecxc0700
         <8-9>   ecxc0800
         <9-10>  ecxc0900
         <10-12> ecxc1000
         <12->   ecxc1200
       }{}
\DeclareRobustCommand\bfsc{%
   \not@math@alphabet\bfsc\relax
   \fontencoding{T1}\fontshape\scdefault
   \fontseries\bfdefault\selectfont
}
\DeclareTextFontCommand\textbfsc{%
   \fontencoding{T1}\bfseries\scshape
}
\makeatother
\begin{document}
{\bfseries\scshape \ae sthetically?}% doesn't work.

\textbfsc{\ae sthetically?}

{\bfsc \ae sthetically?}
\end{document}
--
Morten H�gholm
I haven't got a smelly address.
UK-TUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
moho01ab5415 (737)
8/29/2004 12:57:05 PM
Morten H�gholm wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:38:59 +0200, Julien Salort
> <lists@juliensalort.org>  wrote:
>
>> George Varsamopoulos <george@turing.eas.asu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> And for (USA) Computer Modern?
>>> (the suggested action messed up with character and line spacing)
>

> line spacing?

Yes, after i inserted the \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} line,
all of the output became slightly bolder and it looked
as if it were double-spaced.

0
george5130 (47)
8/29/2004 2:13:51 PM
Morten H�gholm wrote:
> If one wants to stick to OT1 encoding in the normal text (even though
> it's  not recommended) a possible solution could be to switch to the T1
> encoding  for just the bold small caps:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \makeatletter
> %% from fix-cm.sty
> %% Read the documentation to see why...
> \DeclareFontShape{T1}{cmr}{bx}{sc}{
>         <-6>    ecxc0500
>         <6-7>   ecxc0600
>         <7-8>   ecxc0700
>         <8-9>   ecxc0800
>         <9-10>  ecxc0900
>         <10-12> ecxc1000
>         <12->   ecxc1200
>       }{}
> \DeclareRobustCommand\bfsc{%
>   \not@math@alphabet\bfsc\relax
>   \fontencoding{T1}\fontshape\scdefault
>   \fontseries\bfdefault\selectfont
> }
> \DeclareTextFontCommand\textbfsc{%
>   \fontencoding{T1}\bfseries\scshape
> }

It produced bold small caps without inserting new problems
in the output. However, when I zoom into the DVI or PS file,
the bold small caps produced have rough edges, unlike the
rest of the output.

0
george5130 (47)
8/29/2004 2:45:46 PM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:45:46 -0700, George Varsamopoulos
<george@turing.eas.asu.edu> wrote:

> It produced bold small caps without inserting new problems
> in the output. However, when I zoom into the DVI or PS file,
> the bold small caps produced have rough edges, unlike the
> rest of the output.

See <http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=type1T1> and some of
the related topics. Unfortunately (due to the massive size) the cm-super
font set is the only solution for that right now.
--
Morten H�gholm
I haven't got a smelly address.
UK-TUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
moho01ab5415 (737)
8/29/2004 3:07:33 PM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:13:51 -0700, George Varsamopoulos
<george@turing.eas.asu.edu> wrote:

> Yes, after i inserted the \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} line,
> all of the output became slightly bolder and it looked
> as if it were double-spaced.

I'm somewhat curious ;-) I've never heard of that before (the line
spacing). Can you produce a minimal example showing your problem?
Something like this (which doesn't show a problem on my computer - running
a brand spanking new distro):

\documentclass{article}
\newcommand*\LoremIpsum{%
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Pellentesque
hendrerit rutrum elit. Fusce neque. Aenean augue. In hac habitasse
platea dictumst. Vestibulum mollis metus vel tortor. Praesent
facilisis. Nunc lacinia laoreet mauris. Aenean ipsum eros, pharetra
sollicitudin, volutpat fringilla, posuere vehicula, felis. Nulla
interdum. Donec velit orci, posuere et, congue id, scelerisque et,
velit. Vivamus turpis.

Vestibulum lorem. Nunc sed magna. Vivamus vestibulum, lacus scelerisque
vulputate semper, purus mi sollicitudin dolor, et gravida justo orci
sed neque. Suspendisse augue. In sit amet tellus sed nulla commodo
faucibus. Curabitur facilisis sem quis dolor. Donec enim. Donec
vulputate, odio et accumsan congue, sapien turpis porta odio, sit amet
pharetra quam lorem a urna. Fusce urna. Aliquam placerat dui luctus
justo suscipit placerat. Mauris eleifend lectus sed nibh. Proin id
justo a nisl consequat mattis. Curabitur diam nibh, tempus non, gravida
malesuada, pulvinar et, leo. Cras quis dui ac eros semper varius.}

\usepackage[T1,OT1]{fontenc}

\begin{document}
%% This is OT1
\LoremIpsum

\fontencoding{T1}\selectfont
%% This is T1
\LoremIpsum
\end{document}

--
Morten H�gholm
I haven't got a smelly address.
UK-TUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
moho01ab5415 (737)
8/29/2004 3:11:57 PM
Morten H�gholm wrote:

> I'm somewhat curious ;-) I've never heard of that before (the line
> spacing). Can you produce a minimal example showing your problem?
> Something like this (which doesn't show a problem on my computer -
> running  a brand spanking new distro):

I tried to email you the results, but your email address seems to
be out of order.

George

0
george5130 (47)
8/30/2004 4:11:42 AM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:11:42 -0700, George Varsamopoulos
<george@turing.eas.asu.edu> wrote:

> Morten H�gholm wrote:
>>  I'm somewhat curious ;-) I've never heard of that before (the line
>> spacing). Can you produce a minimal example showing your problem?
>> Something like this (which doesn't show a problem on my computer -
>> running  a brand spanking new distro):
>>

> I tried to email you the results, but your email address seems to
> be out of order.

Just remove the "smelly" part of it.
--
Morten H�gholm
I haven't got a smelly address.
UK-TUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
moho01ab5415 (737)
8/30/2004 7:09:48 AM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:11:42 -0700, George Varsamopoulos
<george@turing.eas.asu.edu> wrote:

> Morten H�gholm wrote:
>>  I'm somewhat curious ;-) I've never heard of that before (the line
>> spacing). Can you produce a minimal example showing your problem?
>> Something like this (which doesn't show a problem on my computer -
>> running  a brand spanking new distro):

Okay, now that I've looked at the files I see what you mean. What you
observe as different line spacing is an optical effect caused by the EC
fonts being bitmap on your installation. When viewed in Ghostview it is
quite noticeable. On my computer the EC fonts exist as type 1 and I see no
difference in line spacing.
--
Morten H�gholm
I haven't got a smelly address.
UK-TUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
moho01ab5415 (737)
8/30/2004 8:53:42 AM
?Morten H�gholm wrote:

> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} will provide you with bold small caps in
> (European) Computer Modern.

I can't verify that statement.

With

\documentclass[twoside,dvipdfm]{scrbook}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

in the preamble I get normal bold characters (and a warning) for the
following:

\section{The \textsc{Henri-Michaelis-Menten} (HMM) equation}

Bold-extra does not help, either :-(
The last really annoying issue in my book project, in fact.
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:10:16 +0200, Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote:
> ?Morten H�gholm wrote:
>

>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} will provide you with bold small caps in
>> (European) Computer Modern.
>
> I can't verify that statement.
>
> With
>
> \documentclass[twoside,dvipdfm]{scrbook}
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> in the preamble I get normal bold characters (and a warning) for the
> following:
>
> \section{The \textsc{Henri-Michaelis-Menten} (HMM) equation}

You are using KOMA-Script. It uses a sans-serif font in the titles which
does not have a small caps shape at all. When trying to use it in normal
weight, you get a serif small caps font (see t1cmss.fd:

\DeclareFontShape{T1}{cmss}{m}{sc}%
       {<->sub*cmr/m/sc}{}

For the bold shapes, no replacement is defined. You may add it by:

\DeclareFontShape{T1}{cmss}{bx}{sc}%
       {<->sub*cmr/bx/sc}{}

But this is not good typography (also the first replacement not).

You may either use serif fonts in the titles by using

\setkomafont{sectioning}{\normalfont\normalcolor\bfseries}
resp.
\setkomafont{sectioning}{\normalfont\normalcolor\bfseries\mathversion{bold}}

or avoid to use small caps at all in titles.

Yours
Harald

--
Harald Harders                           Langer Kamp 8
Technische Universit�t Braunschweig      D-38106 Braunschweig

Web resources about - Font shape `OT1/cmr/bx/sc' undefined - comp.text.tex

Undefined - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mike Duffy trial: Senate's ex-law clerk says senator residence rules undefined
A former Senate law clerk testifying at the Mike Duffy trial in Ottawa admitted that the rules governing a senator's residency do not include ...

Washington's Olympic bid moves forward with extent of Maryland role undefined
... offered his preliminary backTing, but the extent of Maryland's role &#8211; and potential financial commitment &#8211; remained largely undefined. ...

Undefined discussion subject.
Undefined discussion subject. Read the full story here

undefined - Daily News & Analysis
Toggle navigation analysis DNA Edit Blogs Standpoint news India World Mumbai Delhi Bangalore Pune Ahmedabad sport money sci/tech dna pix entertainment ...

Undefined Behavior Versus Teaching
It is important to avoid undefined behavior wherever possible when teaching beginners.

Mexico's Energy Battlegrounds Come Into Focus, But Rules Of Engagement Remain Undefined
By Dwight Dyer International investors have been abuzz about the prospect of reforms to Mexico’s energy industry ever since that country’s Congress ...

FOSS Patents: undefined
Florian Mueller is an award-winning intellectual property activist-turned-analyst with 25 years of software industry expertise spanning across ...

DIFFERENCES UNDEFINED? Clinton, Sanders unite in police criticism, campaign rules amid testy debate
DIFFERENCES UNDEFINED? Clinton, Sanders unite in police criticism, campaign rules amid testy debate

Microsoft’s Xbox guru Don Mattrick leaves for key, but undefined role at Zynga
With the Xbox One coming to stores sometime this holiday season, it looks like Microsoft will have to find a new leader to oversee the launch. ...