Getting rid of extra vertical space introduced by new environments?

Hi everyone,

I am sorry I don't seem to be finding an answer in the group log, so I
resort to this posting.  I have defined two new nested environments
(for double-counter reasons), where the container environment opens
and closes a tabbing around the contained sub-environment:

\newenvironment{xxx}{%
  \par .........
  \begin{tabbing}%
  ..............}{\end{tabbing}}

\newenvironment{subxxx}{%
  ..............}{.....}

and I use them in the following way:

   ...end of previous paragraph.
   \\
   \begin{xxx}
   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\ \>
   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\ \>
   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\
   \end{xxx}

   Start of new paragraph...

Everything works very well within the xxx group, BUT there is an
annoying extra amount of vertical space before and after the xxx group
that separates it from the previous and next paragraphs.  I suspect
that this extra vertical space was introduced by the three consecutive
begin's (xxx, tabbing, subxxx) and end's but I am not sure.  Note that
there was no extra vertical space when I only used the xxx environment
without tabbing and subxxx.

How can I get rid of this extra vertical space and just get a regular
1-line skip before and after the xxx group?

Thank you for your help
-Rene
0
doursat (1)

 doursat@yahoo.com (Rene Doursat) writes:
>I am sorry I don't seem to be finding an answer in the group log, so I
>resort to this posting.  I have defined two new nested environments
>(for double-counter reasons), where the container environment opens
>and closes a tabbing around the contained sub-environment:
>
>\newenvironment{xxx}{%
>  \par .........
>  \begin{tabbing}%
>  ..............}{\end{tabbing}}
>
>\newenvironment{subxxx}{%
>  ..............}{.....}
>
>and I use them in the following way:
>
>   ...end of previous paragraph.
>   \\
>   \begin{xxx}
>   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\ \>
>   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\ \>
>   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\
>   \end{xxx}
>
>   Start of new paragraph...
>
>Everything works very well within the xxx group, BUT there is an
>annoying extra amount of vertical space before and after the xxx group
>that separates it from the previous and next paragraphs.  I suspect
>that this extra vertical space was introduced by the three consecutive
>begin's (xxx, tabbing, subxxx) and end's but I am not sure.  Note that
>there was no extra vertical space when I only used the xxx environment
>without tabbing and subxxx.
>
>How can I get rid of this extra vertical space and just get a regular
>1-line skip before and after the xxx group?

first: there's no such thing as a 1-line skip in tex -- there are
vertical spaces of a certain size.  what you're seeing are vertical
spaces of whatever size.

tabbing is implemented as a list.  so, as a result, it gets the
vertical spacing around it that you see when you start or end a list.

the rules for lists are (a) there's always \topsep between the list
and surrounding material, and (b) if the list starts a new paragraph,
make that \topsep + \partopsep.

note that there's no check about how the list ends -- you cans start a
new paragraph _after_ a list, and the gap can still be \topsep if the
list started in horizontal mode.  (actually, of course, the gap will
be \topsep + \parskip, but \parskip is usually 0pt, or 0pt plus 1pt,
so at most the difference will be a bit of stretchability.)

you, of course, introduce a \par token before the start of your
tabbing.  (i really don't understand what that \\ is for ... apart
from being an attempt to confuse.)

so we have your answer -- you're getting \partopsep added, which makes
for the unwanted vertical space.  just don't put that \par in, and
make sure there's no explicit or implicit paragraph end before the
tabbing starts.

see also the comments about compact lists in

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=complist

(i've rewritten this answer, but not yet proof-read the result...it
contains more information now, and mentions more packages, but the
basic ideas are the same.)
--
Robin (the partially spineless) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

How to get rid of the new-initializer in a new-expression
Hello everyone! I have written a memory tracker using macros, and everything works fine unless the new-expression contains a new-initializer. Please take a look at the following example: template <class T> T* TrackNew( T* ptr ) { return ptr; } #define NEW( T ) TrackNew<T>( new T ) struct X { X() {} X( int ) {} }; int main() { // Works fine. X* p1 = NEW( X ); // Fails to compile. X* p2 = NEW( X( 2 ) ); return 0; } The second use of the NEW macro expands to: X* p2 = TrackNew<X( 2 )>( new X( 2 ) ); Obviously, this should be: X* p2 = ...

please help with preg_replace how to get rid of extra new lines? I've tried so many ways
Hi all, how come this doesn't work????? # convert to unix new lines $text = preg_replace("/\r\n/", "\n", $text); # remove extra new lines $text = preg_replace("/\n+/", "\n", $text); is there better ways to remove extra new lines??? regards, Sid On 23 Apr 2004 14:57:50 -0700, onlinesid@yahoo.com (Sidharta) wrote: >how come this doesn't work????? > ># convert to unix new lines >$text = preg_replace("/\r\n/", "\n", $text); ># remove extra new lines >$text = preg_replace("/\n+/", "\n"...

mailto: form using GET. Cannot get spaces in text.
I was writing the 7th installment to introducing my children to HTML and came upon something that I am not familiar with, evidently. http://foomanchu.com/standardize7.htm I have two mailto: forms near the bottom of that page. The first, entitled "classic mailto form" just uses POST. All spaces get conveyed just fine. The second, entitled "better classic mailto form" has +s instead of spaces. The only fundamental difference I can see is it uses GET. Now, I have tried &nsbp; and %20 with little luck. It merely posts the %20, and the &nbsp; get co...

[News] Amarok Gets New New Looks; Galeon Introduced

Vertical spaces between environments
Hi! I'm typesetting a document using LaTeX and have to follow very tight layout specifications. The problem I have is that the LaTeX system often stretches the blank spaces between environments (enumerate, center, etc) or the blank spaces between an environment and the following text. Does anyone have an idea how this can be suppressed. The blank spaces need to be exactly the same as I define them everywhere through the text. Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance. Regards, Tasho ----- Posted via NewsOne.Net: Free (anonymous) Usenet News via the Web ----- http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email abuse@newsone.net dont@use.this wrote: > I'm typesetting a document using LaTeX and have to follow very tight layout > specifications. The problem I have is that the LaTeX system often stretches > the blank spaces between environments (enumerate, center, etc) or the blank > spaces between an environment and the following text. Does anyone have an > idea how this can be suppressed. The blank spaces need to be exactly the same > as I define them everywhere through the text. You can define various types of environments for itemize for example. You can play around with the various numbers like topsep,parsep etc to achieve the required spacing. It is quiet flexible actually. \ne...

How can I get Tab space betweem text on MS Excel report using Excel Easy Text.vi and Tab Constant?
I am using Excel Easy Text.vi from Report Generation palette (LabVIEW 7.1) to generate Excel report. &nbsp; I&nbsp;created&nbsp;a string (includes text and Tab Constants) and connected it to "text" input of Excel Easy Text.vi. The output on the Excel report is the text and a small&nbsp;square shaped drawing&nbsp;(space) not a tab. I tried \t got same result. &nbsp; How can I get Tab space betweem text on my Excel report sheet using Excel Easy Text.vi and Tab Constant? &nbsp; Thanks for your help. &nbsp; LVLV Hello, From what I can tell, you cannot i...

Getting rid of spaces in fields
Hi, I have a database of about 10,000 individuals. One column is devoted to a person's surname (LastName) and another column to their first name and inititals (FirstName). One problem I have is that the spacing is all screwed up in the FirstName column. For example, instead of reading John_HS (where _ is a space), it will read John__H_S__ or John__H__S_. Any ideas on how to get rid of this superfluous spacing? Thanks, Stavrogin. Stavrogin, I don't think this is the perfect solution but you can remove all spaces from your text except for single spaces betwee words using Excel ...

new environment for multicolumn text
Hello, I want to define a new environment of the following kind: \newenvironment{mylist}[1]{\begin{multicols}{#1} \begin{enumerate}} {\end{enumerate}\end{multicols}} mylist is supposed to be used as follows: \begin{mylist}{3} \item[] bla \item[] bli \item[] blo \item[] bla \item[] bli \item[] blo \item[] bla \item[] bli \item[] blo \end{mylist} My only problem is: I would like to avoid having to write \item[] all the time. How could this be done? Simon Simon Strobl <Simon.Strobl@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I want to define a new environment of the following kind: > > \newenvironment{mylist}[1]{\begin{multicols}{#1} \begin{enumerate}} > {\end{enumerate}\end{multicols}} > > mylist is supposed to be used as follows: > > \begin{mylist}{3} > \item[] bla > \item[] bli > \item[] blo > \item[] bla > \item[] bli > \item[] blo > \item[] bla > \item[] bli > \item[] blo > \end{mylist} > > My only problem is: I would like to avoid having to write \item[] all > the time. How could this be done? You are not using an enumerated list, are you? Just separate items with a blank line; if you want to emulate a list, define \newenvironment{mylist}[1] {\setlength{\parindent}{2.5em}% \setlength{\parskip}{\itemsep+\parsep}% \begin{multicols}{#1}} {\end{multicols}} Load also the calc package and specify your input like \begin{mylist}{3} bla bli blo .... \end{mylist} You can adjust the parameter...

How to get rid of extra characters
Can anybody help with the function to get rid of extra characters in the file. I want to remove the string from the file.So i read from input file and pass the string say "john" if found dnt write it to the ouput file but if not found write all the line to the output file so i read line by line cin.get(input,line) if(line != s) output<<line The problem is the input file look like murphy john bridget sarah but if i read character by character the file would look like m u r p h y j o h n s a r a h So if pass string john and compare it line by line it won't match cause ...

Getting rid of DOUBLE SPACING!!!
I just took over admin control of a website at http://www.lyricster.com and I am having a hell of a time trying to pin down the problem of double spacing when I add new lyrics to the database. The thing is, most all of the db items (lyrics) on the website are single spaced, and yet when I try to post new lyrics, it comes out double-spaced. I even tried to log in as a normal user and post lyrics that way....same problem. If you need example of the problem go to the site, click on "Runnin' With The Devil - Van Halen" and then click on a few other of the song titles....all of the ...

New environment with floating text
Hello, I am really stuck here.... I want to create an environment named "explanation". When I use this like: \begin{explanation}{test}{r}{5cm} explainging some things explainging some things explainging some things explainging some things explainging some things explainging some things explainging some things explainging some things explainging some things \end{explatanation} I want it to appear at the right (second paramenter) unsing a wrapfigure of 5cm. With a label test so that I can refer to this environment with \ref{test}. This is my environment code but I can't get it working (for starters: it does not appear on the right) \makeatletter \newenvironment{explanation}[3]{% \def\@currentlabel{#1}% \begin{wrapfigure}{#2}{#3}% \scriptsize% }{% \normalsize% \end{wrapfigure}% } \makeatother It does something since the "explainging some things" text is indeed in scriptsize. I must admin I don't know what makeatletter and makeatother does but I think it is required here. Kind regards, Marcel van Leeuwen Ok the solution is: not to use wrapfigure, replace it with floatingfigure (this is what you get): \makeatletter \newenvironment{explanation}[3] {% \def\@currentlabel{#1}% \begin{floatingfigure}[#2]{#3}% \index{#1}{\textbf{#1}}\\% \scriptsize% } {% \normalsize% \end{floatingfigure}% } \makeatother That solves the problem, there seems to be a problem with ...

how to get rid of extra parentheses ?
Hi , there I am wondering if some one can help me in my issue. After some Algebraic manipulation I get the result but it is inside the two parenthesis e.g. {{........... }}. The problem is that Mathematica understand it as a list or matrix entry. If I need to use this result directly into the matrix manipulation it gives the error. Question is how to get rid these extra parentheses in the result that Mathematica add itself? e.g {{cb S V/ 2}} U can see there is no need of these extra parenthesis Obaid This message is intended for the ...

Vertical space with description environment.
Question, how do I change the alignment of the description environment? For example. I now have; \documentclass[a4paper]{article} \begin{document} Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean tristique justo mollis magna accumsan pharetra. Praesent placerat pulvinar nisl, at consequat turpis sodales eget. \begin{description} \item[aaa] meervoud van de letters van a \item[bbb] meervoud van de letters van b \end{description} Sed feugiat tortor ac libero condimentum at iaculis nisi vestibulum. Fusce dignissim, dolor non scelerisque eleifend, nunc libero...

indesign text spacing vertically
Hi, I was spacing out some text vertically, using settings mainly in the paragraph tab. It got aired out pretty good and I decide I wanted to go back and start over, but the paragraph settings somehow all say 0 in and I can't figure out how to get back to the basic single line spacing and 0 before and 0 after I started with. The paragraph adjustments say 0, and I can't go negative of course. Is there a way selecting all text to clear all line and paragraph spacing settings? Thanks! --Randy Starkey In article <11ob2sm1jvo9b1f@corp.supernews.com>, "Randy Starkey&q...

picture environment: extra spacing
i've been playing around with the picture environment to learn it better, and found that this code: \frame{% \begin{picture}(150,150)(-75,-75) % % Center \put(0,0){\circle*{3}} \put(-10,5){(0,0)} % % Upper right corner \put(75,75){\circle*{3}} \put(80,70){(75,75)} % % Lower right corner \put(75,-75){\circle*{3}} \put(80, -75){(75, -75)} % % Upper left corner \put(-75,75){\circle*{3}} \put(-110,70){(-75,75)} % % Lower left corner \put(-75,-75){\circle*{3}} \put(-115,-75){(-75,-75)} % \put(-50,50){\circle*{3}} \put(-50,50){Sentence is put at (-50,50)} \end{picture} } produces extra space on the right side of the picture. here's what i see: (-75, 75) *------------------*-| (75,75) | | | | | | | | | | | | | | (-75,75) *------------------*-| (75,-75) however, this is what i was expecting: (-75, 75) *------------------* (75,75) | | | | | | | | | | | | | | (-75,75) *------------------* (75,-75) there must be some extra space between the picture and the \frame, but only on ...

getting rid of text in TextArea
how do you dynamically get rid of text in a TextArea? (no way of doing what in JS you would do like this textArea.value = ""; ??? thank you.. Frances In article <430f6970$0$18645$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Frances <fdr58@yahoo.com> wrote: > how do you dynamically get rid of text in a TextArea? > > (no way of doing what in JS you would do like this > > textArea.value = ""; ??? > > thank you.. > > Frances RTFM. The AWT TextArea and Swing JTextArea both support a setText() call to do what you want. -- Steve ...

vertical spacing before and after center environment
Dear all, I am wondering how to remove or reduce the vertical spacing before and after center, itemize, or enumerate environment. I have searched this group, however, I don't find any specific solution. Thank you very much for your attention. Best wishes, Jinsong Jinsong Zhao wrote: > Dear all, > > I am wondering how to remove or reduce the vertical spacing before and > after center, itemize, or enumerate environment. > > I have searched this group, however, I don't find any specific > solution. > > Thank you very much for your attention. > > Best wishes, > > Jinsong > For lists see the paralist or enumitem packages, for center, try \begin{centering} \end{centering} -- /daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address) LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq Superb Class: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/memoir.html LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish) Remember to post minimal working examples. "Jinsong Zhao" <Jinsong.Zhao@gmail.com> writes: >I am wondering how to remove or reduce the vertical spacing before and >after center, itemize, or enumerate environment. > >I have searched this group, however, I don't find any specific >solution. the issue is addressed in http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=complist does that help? -- Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge Lars Madsen <daleif@RTFSIGNATUREimf.au.dk>...

Getting rid of double spacing
Hi Guys, is there a way to get rid of double spaces within a string without using the tokenizer method? I was thinking of doing a loop that goes on while two spaces are next to each other within which I'd delete the character it's up to. How do I delete a char? Thanks to all for any ideas/help you might provide. "Bella_Maria" <mbychkova@wmac.com.au> schreef in bericht news:7b749c4e3e3a44cca33e9712b6062ed0@localhost.talkaboutprogramming.com... > Hi Guys, is there a way to get rid of double spaces within a string without > using the tokenizer method? I was thinking of doing a loop that goes on > while two spaces are next to each other within which I'd delete the > character it's up to. How do I delete a char? > > Thanks to all for any ideas/help you might provide. > Nothing could be simpler, You can use the replaceAll method from the String class. Suppose your original String variable s1 were "Listening to the sound of rain falling on my roof" and you wrote s1.replaceAll(" ", ""); this would leave you with "Listening tothe soundof rainfalling onmy roof" If what you wanted instead was to get rid of the extra space only, you would use s1.replaceAll(" ", " "); which would leave you with "Listening to the sound of rain falling on my roof" Good luck, Ben. Hi, "Bella_Maria" <mbychkova@wmac.com.au> writes: > Hi Guys, ...

How do I get rid of this new header?
I have a new header line which I don't recall seeing before. It changes depending on where in mutt I am. At the list of messages page, it looks like: >q:Quit d:Del u:Undel s:Save m:Mail r:Reply g:Group ?:Help While reading a message it looks like: >i:Exit -:PrevPg <Space>:NextPg v:View Attachm. d:Del r:Reply j:Next ?:Help Can anyone tell me how to turn it off? NB: This line is highlighted on the screen -- Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097 Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. V...

extra space in framed/shaded environments?
I am using the framed package to be able to frame and shade multiline equation environments in AMS-LaTeX. In addition, it will be useful for framing and shading blocks of important text. Unfortunately, when I nest a shaded environment within a framed environment, I get extra white space that I don't want. The output of: We will see many applications of these equations in the examples and in the homework problems. \begin{framed} \begin{shaded} \begin{align} \label{Ch2-eq: EquationLabel2} \bv{v}_{B} &= \bv{v}_{A} + \bv{v}_{B/A}, \\ \label{Ch2-eq: EquationLabel3} \bv{a}_{B} &= \bv{a}_{A} + \bv{a}_{B/A}. \end{align} \end{shaded} \end{framed} We will see many applications of these equations in the examples and in the homework problems. can be found at: <http://lpcm.esm.psu.edu/~gray/framed-shot.jpg> How do I remove the extra white space between the shaded region and the framed region? In addition, is there a way to prevent it from starting a new paragraph when I haven't left a blank line? -- Gary L. Gray Engineering Science & Mechanics Associate Professor Penn State University http://www.esm.psu.edu/faculty/gray/ (814) 863-1778 Gary L. Gray schrieb: > I am using the framed package to be able to frame and shade multiline > equation environments in AMS-LaTeX. In addition, it will be useful for > framing and shading blocks of important text. Unfortunately, when I nest a > sha...

How to create new option with more space between text
I would like to create new option with more than one space as text in a select element, is it possible? I tried this statements: var selT=document.getElementById('SelectObj'); selT.add(new Option("Space between text","xyz"),selT.options[0]); and also: var selT=document.getElementById('SelectObj'); selT.add(new Option("Space between &nbsp;&nbsp; text", "xyz"),selT.options[0]); without get any space between words. fusillator wrote: > var selT=document.getElementById('SelectObj'); > selT.add(new Option(&...

a new way to get rid of telemarketers
A lady that answers the phones for one of my business lines tells me this is one way she gets rid of telemarketers: TM: This is ___, can I speak with ____? Lady: Well if you can, I'd like to as well. TM: Isn't ___ your husband? Lady: Yes. TM: Is he available? Lady: I don't know, let me go check his urn. Usually at this point the TM hangs up. Another way I started using a couple of weeks ago is to ask the TM if they have the password. Of course there is no password but they don't know that, and we get some pretty good laughs at their response or attemp...

Re: How to get rid of unwanted spaces between...
> From: Sophia Tong > I am trying to put some text including macro vars and turns > out I get who knows how many unwanted spaces. > > Here is my code: > > CHEW_2="This rate is significantly different from the rest > of State &st.."); you probably want the cmpres function: CHEW_2= "This rate is significantly different from the rest of State %cmpres(&st.)."); Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov ...

Web resources about - Getting rid of extra vertical space introduced by new environments? - comp.text.tex

Environment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is juicing bad for you and the environment?
Juicing is bad for your health and for the earth.

How airconditioners are helping the environment
The environment has an unlikely ally in the fight to reduce energy consumption.

Environment Canada downgrades snow forecast for Windsor-Essex
A special weather statement is still in effect for Windsor and Essex County, but Environment Canada is downgrading the amount of snow forecast ...

Trudeau: Environment Shouldn't Be A Topic For Political Fights 155
"The choice between pipelines and wind turbines is a false one."

LA methane leak is 2nd biggest in US history, most damaging to the environment
... 2004 in Moss Bluff, Texas , when an underground natural gas storage facility collapsed. Depressingly, the researchers suggested that the environmental ...

How to improve security in a BYOD enterprise environment
... with IT control over the device and stored data, etc. Educate employees about the risks when working outside the company’s protected environment ...

There Are 14 House Democrats And 3 Senate Dems Who The GOP Counts On To Vote With Them Against The Environment ...
A dozen Republicans have better environmental voting records than corporate whore Collin Peterson The League of Conservation Voters has released ...

How to easily raise $11.5 million in a bad startup funding environment, according to the CEO of Bustle ...
The digital media boom may not be over just yet. Bustle, a media startup focused on creating content for millennial women, has raised $11.5 ...

Republican Presidential Frontrunners Extremely Anti-Environment/Health
The top contenders for the Republican presidential nomination have repeatedly indicated extreme anti-environmental policy preferences, demonstrating ...