Getting rid of extra vertical space introduced by new environments?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi everyone,

I am sorry I don't seem to be finding an answer in the group log, so I
resort to this posting.  I have defined two new nested environments
(for double-counter reasons), where the container environment opens
and closes a tabbing around the contained sub-environment:

\newenvironment{xxx}{%
  \par .........
  \begin{tabbing}%
  ..............}{\end{tabbing}}

\newenvironment{subxxx}{%
  ..............}{.....}

and I use them in the following way:

   ...end of previous paragraph.
   \\
   \begin{xxx}
   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\ \>
   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\ \>
   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\
   \end{xxx}

   Start of new paragraph...

Everything works very well within the xxx group, BUT there is an
annoying extra amount of vertical space before and after the xxx group
that separates it from the previous and next paragraphs.  I suspect
that this extra vertical space was introduced by the three consecutive
begin's (xxx, tabbing, subxxx) and end's but I am not sure.  Note that
there was no extra vertical space when I only used the xxx environment
without tabbing and subxxx.

How can I get rid of this extra vertical space and just get a regular
1-line skip before and after the xxx group?

Thank you for your help
-Rene
0
Reply doursat (1) 10/2/2003 8:16:06 AM

See related articles to this posting

 doursat@yahoo.com (Rene Doursat) writes:
>I am sorry I don't seem to be finding an answer in the group log, so I
>resort to this posting.  I have defined two new nested environments
>(for double-counter reasons), where the container environment opens
>and closes a tabbing around the contained sub-environment:
>
>\newenvironment{xxx}{%
>  \par .........
>  \begin{tabbing}%
>  ..............}{\end{tabbing}}
>
>\newenvironment{subxxx}{%
>  ..............}{.....}
>
>and I use them in the following way:
>
>   ...end of previous paragraph.
>   \\
>   \begin{xxx}
>   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\ \>
>   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\ \>
>   \begin{subxxx}.......\end{subxxx}\\
>   \end{xxx}
>
>   Start of new paragraph...
>
>Everything works very well within the xxx group, BUT there is an
>annoying extra amount of vertical space before and after the xxx group
>that separates it from the previous and next paragraphs.  I suspect
>that this extra vertical space was introduced by the three consecutive
>begin's (xxx, tabbing, subxxx) and end's but I am not sure.  Note that
>there was no extra vertical space when I only used the xxx environment
>without tabbing and subxxx.
>
>How can I get rid of this extra vertical space and just get a regular
>1-line skip before and after the xxx group?

first: there's no such thing as a 1-line skip in tex -- there are
vertical spaces of a certain size.  what you're seeing are vertical
spaces of whatever size.

tabbing is implemented as a list.  so, as a result, it gets the
vertical spacing around it that you see when you start or end a list.

the rules for lists are (a) there's always \topsep between the list
and surrounding material, and (b) if the list starts a new paragraph,
make that \topsep + \partopsep.

note that there's no check about how the list ends -- you cans start a
new paragraph _after_ a list, and the gap can still be \topsep if the
list started in horizontal mode.  (actually, of course, the gap will
be \topsep + \parskip, but \parskip is usually 0pt, or 0pt plus 1pt,
so at most the difference will be a bit of stretchability.)

you, of course, introduce a \par token before the start of your
tabbing.  (i really don't understand what that \\ is for ... apart
from being an attempt to confuse.)

so we have your answer -- you're getting \partopsep added, which makes
for the unwanted vertical space.  just don't put that \par in, and
make sure there's no explicit or implicit paragraph end before the
tabbing starts.

see also the comments about compact lists in

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=complist

(i've rewritten this answer, but not yet proof-read the result...it
contains more information now, and mentions more packages, but the
basic ideas are the same.)
--
Robin (the partially spineless) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

please help with preg_replace how to get rid of extra new lines? I've tried so many ways
Hi all, how come this doesn't work????? # convert to unix new lines $text = preg_replace("/\r\n/", "\n", $text); # remove extra new lines $text = preg_replace("/\n+/", "\n", $text); is there better ways to remove extra new lines??? regards, Sid On 23 Apr 2004 14:57:50 -0700, onlinesid@yahoo.com (Sidharta) wrote: >how come this doesn't work????? > ># convert to unix new lines >$text = preg_replace("/\r\n/", "\n", $text); ># remove extra new lines >$text = preg_replace("/\n+/", "\n"...

How to get rid of the new-initializer in a new-expression
Hello everyone! I have written a memory tracker using macros, and everything works fine unless the new-expression contains a new-initializer. Please take a look at the following example: template <class T> T* TrackNew( T* ptr ) { return ptr; } #define NEW( T ) TrackNew<T>( new T ) struct X { X() {} X( int ) {} }; int main() { // Works fine. X* p1 = NEW( X ); // Fails to compile. X* p2 = NEW( X( 2 ) ); return 0; } The second use of the NEW macro expands to: X* p2 = TrackNew<X( 2 )>( new X( 2 ) ); Obviously, this should be: X* p2 = ...

[News] Amarok Gets New New Looks; Galeon Introduced

Vertical spaces between environments
Hi! I'm typesetting a document using LaTeX and have to follow very tight layout specifications. The problem I have is that the LaTeX system often stretches the blank spaces between environments (enumerate, center, etc) or the blank spaces between an environment and the following text. Does anyone have an idea how this can be suppressed. The blank spaces need to be exactly the same as I define them everywhere through the text. Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance. Regards, Tasho ----- Posted via NewsOne.Net: Free (anonymous) Usenet News via the Web ----- http://newsone.net...

Vertical space with description environment.
Question, how do I change the alignment of the description environment? For example. I now have; \documentclass[a4paper]{article} \begin{document} Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean tristique justo mollis magna accumsan pharetra. Praesent placerat pulvinar nisl, at consequat turpis sodales eget. \begin{description} \item[aaa] meervoud van de letters van a \item[bbb] meervoud van de letters van b \end{description} Sed feugiat tortor ac libero condimentum at iaculis nisi vestibulum. Fusce dignissim, dolor non scelerisque eleifend, nunc libero...

How to get rid of extra characters
Can anybody help with the function to get rid of extra characters in the file. I want to remove the string from the file.So i read from input file and pass the string say "john" if found dnt write it to the ouput file but if not found write all the line to the output file so i read line by line cin.get(input,line) if(line != s) output<<line The problem is the input file look like murphy john bridget sarah but if i read character by character the file would look like m u r p h y j o h n s a r a h So if pass string john and compare it line by line it won't match cause ...

picture environment: extra spacing
i've been playing around with the picture environment to learn it better, and found that this code: \frame{% \begin{picture}(150,150)(-75,-75) % % Center \put(0,0){\circle*{3}} \put(-10,5){(0,0)} % % Upper right corner \put(75,75){\circle*{3}} \put(80,70){(75,75)} % % Lower right corner \put(75,-75){\circle*{3}} \put(80, -75){(75, -75)} % % Upper left corner \put(-75,75){\circle*{3}} \put(-110,70){(-75,75)} % % Lower left corner \put(-75,-75){\circle*{3}} \put(-115,-75){(-75,-75)} % \put(-50,50){\circle*{3}} \put(-50,50){Sentence is put at (-50,50)} \end{picture} } produces extra space o...

how to get rid of extra parentheses ?
Hi , there I am wondering if some one can help me in my issue. After some Algebraic manipulation I get the result but it is inside the two parenthesis e.g. {{........... }}. The problem is that Mathematica understand it as a list or matrix entry. If I need to use this result directly into the matrix manipulation it gives the error. Question is how to get rid these extra parentheses in the result that Mathematica add itself? e.g {{cb S V/ 2}} U can see there is no need of these extra parenthesis Obaid This message is intended for the ...

Getting rid of spaces in fields
Hi, I have a database of about 10,000 individuals. One column is devoted to a person's surname (LastName) and another column to their first name and inititals (FirstName). One problem I have is that the spacing is all screwed up in the FirstName column. For example, instead of reading John_HS (where _ is a space), it will read John__H_S__ or John__H__S_. Any ideas on how to get rid of this superfluous spacing? Thanks, Stavrogin. Stavrogin, I don't think this is the perfect solution but you can remove all spaces from your text except for single spaces betwee words using Excel ...

How to get rid of unwanted spaces between...
Dear SAS-L gurus, I am trying to put some text including macro vars and turns out I get who knows how many unwanted spaces. Here is my code: CHEW_2="This rate is significantly different from the rest of State &st.."); What I expected to get is something like this: This rate is significantly different from the rest of State 19% (15%, 21%). instead I get something like this: This rate is significantly different from the rest of State 19% (15%, 21%) . There is a huge space between &st and '....

Getting rid of DOUBLE SPACING!!!
I just took over admin control of a website at http://www.lyricster.com and I am having a hell of a time trying to pin down the problem of double spacing when I add new lyrics to the database. The thing is, most all of the db items (lyrics) on the website are single spaced, and yet when I try to post new lyrics, it comes out double-spaced. I even tried to log in as a normal user and post lyrics that way....same problem. If you need example of the problem go to the site, click on "Runnin' With The Devil - Van Halen" and then click on a few other of the song titles....all of the ...

vertical spacing before and after center environment
Dear all, I am wondering how to remove or reduce the vertical spacing before and after center, itemize, or enumerate environment. I have searched this group, however, I don't find any specific solution. Thank you very much for your attention. Best wishes, Jinsong Jinsong Zhao wrote: > Dear all, > > I am wondering how to remove or reduce the vertical spacing before and > after center, itemize, or enumerate environment. > > I have searched this group, however, I don't find any specific > solution. > > Thank you very much for your attention. > >...

Getting rid of double spacing
Hi Guys, is there a way to get rid of double spaces within a string without using the tokenizer method? I was thinking of doing a loop that goes on while two spaces are next to each other within which I'd delete the character it's up to. How do I delete a char? Thanks to all for any ideas/help you might provide. "Bella_Maria" <mbychkova@wmac.com.au> schreef in bericht news:7b749c4e3e3a44cca33e9712b6062ed0@localhost.talkaboutprogramming.com... > Hi Guys, is there a way to get rid of double spaces within a string without > using the tokenizer method? I was think...

How do I get rid of this new header?
I have a new header line which I don't recall seeing before. It changes depending on where in mutt I am. At the list of messages page, it looks like: >q:Quit d:Del u:Undel s:Save m:Mail r:Reply g:Group ?:Help While reading a message it looks like: >i:Exit -:PrevPg <Space>:NextPg v:View Attachm. d:Del r:Reply j:Next ?:Help Can anyone tell me how to turn it off? NB: This line is highlighted on the screen -- Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097 Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. V...

Where is the extra vertical space coming from?
This has me stumped. I am trying to use as little space as possible at the top of my document but Firefox/Mozilla insists on placing vertical space before any element. IE displays it correctly (as I want). At one point, I set some negative top margins which moved the graphics above the page in IE. Here's the link: http://abateofnm.org/ I've tried reformatting the HTML to assure there is no white space and I've tried setting top margins and padding to 0, all with no luck. Strangely, it seems to be using the height of the flag images as a top margin or something...

increase vertical spacing in align* environment
In the Latex \begin{align*} ... \end{align*} environment, I wish to increase slightly the vertical space between equations, because the equations in question involve binomial coefficients and large fractions, and are too crowded. If I put 4 backslashes \\\\ after each equation, I get too much vertical space. I have tried putting \addtolength{\belowdisplayskip}{5mm} in the preamble or in the same frame (I am using beamer), but this had no effect. I also tried \renewcommand{\arraystretch}{2.0}, but this had no effect either. Is there some way to change--preferably temporarily--the param...

Re: how to get rid extra parentheses ?
Use Part expr = {{cb S V/2}}; expr[[1]] {(cb*S*V)/2} expr[[1, 1]] (cb*S*V)/2 Bob Hanlon ---- Obaid Rehman <Obaid.Rehman@student.adfa.edu.au> wrote: ============= Hi , there I am wondering if some one can help me in my issue. After some Algebraic manipulation I get the result but it is inside the two parenthesis e.g. {{........... }}. The problem is that Mathematica understand it as a list or matrix entry. If I need to use this result directly into the matrix manipulation it gives the error. Question is how to get rid these extra parenthese...

extra space in framed/shaded environments?
I am using the framed package to be able to frame and shade multiline equation environments in AMS-LaTeX. In addition, it will be useful for framing and shading blocks of important text. Unfortunately, when I nest a shaded environment within a framed environment, I get extra white space that I don't want. The output of: We will see many applications of these equations in the examples and in the homework problems. \begin{framed} \begin{shaded} \begin{align} \label{Ch2-eq: EquationLabel2} \bv{v}_{B} &= \bv{v}_{A} + \bv{v}_{B/A}, \\ \label{Ch2-eq: EquationLabel3} \bv{a}_{B} &= \...

Getting rid of double spacing in a string
Hi Guys, is there a way to get rid of double spaces within a string without using the tokenizer method? I was thinking of doing a loop that goes on while two spaces are next to each other within which I'd delete the character it's up to. How do I delete a char? Thanks to all for any ideas/help you might provide. Bella_Maria wrote: > Hi Guys, is there a way to get rid of double spaces within a string > without using the tokenizer method? I was thinking of doing a loop that > goes on while two spaces are next to each other within which I'd delete > the character it...

Re: How to get rid of unwanted spaces between...
> From: Sophia Tong > I am trying to put some text including macro vars and turns > out I get who knows how many unwanted spaces. > > Here is my code: > > CHEW_2="This rate is significantly different from the rest > of State &st.."); you probably want the cmpres function: CHEW_2= "This rate is significantly different from the rest of State %cmpres(&st.)."); Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov ...

Get rid of the vertical bar in the editor
Hello everyone, As you should have I have a vertical bar in my Mfile editor, which seeems to split in two the window, I don't know what it is used for end find it very disturbing. Can I get rid of it ? Cheers Colin "stat " <statquant@gmail.com> wrote in message <h1r9th$qsi$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hello everyone, > As you should have I have a vertical bar in my Mfile editor, which seeems to split in two the window, I don't know what it is used for end find it very disturbing. > Can I get rid of it ? > Preferences -> Editor/Debugger -> Displ...

adding vertical space in tabular environment
Hi, How can I add vertical space in a table? I would like some vertical space between the edge of the table and the text. this is my input in tex: \begin{table}[h] \hspace{-3.5cm} \begin{tabular}{|c| c| c |c |c |c| c|} \hline \multicolumn{7}{|>{\columncolor[rgb]{0.980,0.368,0.368}}c|}{\Large{\textbf{\textcolor{white}{ABC }}}}\\ \hline {\textbf{aaaa}} & {\textbf{bbb}} & {\textbf{ccc}} & {\textbf{ddd}} & {\textbf{eee}} & {\textbf{fff}} & {\textbf{ggg}}\\ \hline \end{tabular} \end{table} THANX Robin ...

Getting rid of vertical line at origin
Hi, I am drawing some 3d data with positive and negative values with splot. What I don't like about the plot is a vertical line (similar to a border line, but only half the size) going from the origin to the bottom, since I have a negative peak at the origin which gets obstructed by that line. It disappears together with the border lines if I do "set border 0", but appears on any other border setting. I didn't find where it is mentioned in the docs. Does anybody have an idea? Another option would probably be to only display the ticks, not the border lines themselve...

a new way to get rid of telemarketers
A lady that answers the phones for one of my business lines tells me this is one way she gets rid of telemarketers: TM: This is ___, can I speak with ____? Lady: Well if you can, I'd like to as well. TM: Isn't ___ your husband? Lady: Yes. TM: Is he available? Lady: I don't know, let me go check his urn. Usually at this point the TM hangs up. Another way I started using a couple of weeks ago is to ask the TM if they have the password. Of course there is no password but they don't know that, and we get some pretty good laughs at their response or attemp...