HELP: Need text output for a .tex document

I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to
get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi -> Postscript).

It is of type article and doesnt do anything exciting, just uses things like
center and the list environment.

Im sure that this is possible, its just been SO long since I had to
do anything like this.

Please, someone, how do I do this.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg@dwf.com

0
reg3220 (4)

Reg Clemens wrote:

> I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to
> get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi -> Postscript).
>
> It is of type article and doesnt do anything exciting, just uses things like
> center and the list environment.
>
> Im sure that this is possible, its just been SO long since I had to
> do anything like this.
>
> Please, someone, how do I do this.

convert to ps/pdf and extract the text using gsview/acrobat.  note, you'll probably need to do some manual corrections.
0
none8140 (304)
10/8/2004 3:40:35 AM
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Reg Clemens wrote:

> I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to
> get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi ->
> Postscript).
>
> It is of type article and doesnt do anything exciting, just uses things
> like center and the list environment.
>
> Im sure that this is possible, its just been SO long since I had to do
> anything like this.
>
> Please, someone, how do I do this.

If your document is really as simple as you say, use latex2html to convert
it to HTML, and then use "lynx -localhost -dump -nolist -width 100
resume.html | sed 's/^ \{3,4\}//' > resume.tex" (adjust the width for good
results; the sed command kills leading spaces -- this worked pretty well
for me).  I also tried "ps2ascii" or "pstotext -cork", but neither of
those produced output that looked quite right (this was more than a year
ago, so there may be new, better, versions out).

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw
0
pechtcha (210)
10/8/2004 4:31:33 AM
In article <ck527e$qu8$1@seagoon.newcastle.edu.au>,
 Tom Micevski <none@none.au> writes:
>Reg Clemens wrote:
>
>> I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to
>> get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi -> Postscript).
>>
>> It is of type article and doesnt do anything exciting, just uses things like
>> center and the list environment.
>>
>> Im sure that this is possible, its just been SO long since I had to
>> do anything like this.
>>
>> Please, someone, how do I do this.
>>
>convert to ps/pdf and extract the text using gsview/acrobat.  note, you'll probably need to do some manual corrections.

--
Im sure what you say works, but all I seem to be able to do is turn things into Postscript or PDF,
which I already have.

What Im really trying to do is take the tex (or PS), and generate something for a 'dumb ascii printer'
so what I will have in the file is an ascii approximation to the document I would see when I
print the PS on a postscript printer.  Nach only one font, etc but readable.

I am not trying to recapture the original text, which I have, but rather produce an ascii
document that 'looks' like the PS document.

                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg@dwf.com
0
reg3220 (4)
10/8/2004 5:07:37 AM
Hello,

There is dvi2tty, which can translate a DVI file to ASCII text. So you
have to produce the DVI file first, and then the text version, which is
as similar to the DVI file as possible.

Producing this from the .tex file, immediatly, seems to be a lot harder,
I have not seen an app doing it this way.

Bernd Strieder

0
strieder (168)
10/8/2004 7:49:43 AM
Reg Clemens schrieb:

> I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to
> get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi ->
> Postscript).

   detex removes (La)TeX commands from the source and dvi2tty (or
dvitty?) returns the text contained in a dvi-file.  Both are part of my
linux distribution.

Harry

--
When you are in it up to your ears, keep your mouth shut.
0
Bernd Strieder wrote:

> There is dvi2tty, which can translate a DVI file to ASCII text. So you
> have to produce the DVI file first, and then the text version, which is
> as similar to the DVI file as possible.

if results are not satisfactory, here are some more alternatives:

foo.tex -[latex]-> foo.dvi -[dvitype]-> foo.txt
        |                  `-[dvips]-> foo.ps -[ps2ascii]-> foo.txt
        `-[pdflatex]-> foo.pdf -[pdftotext]-> foo.txt
0
dhvu2004 (8)

Need Help with Output to Text
Here's my script--need help with output to text file (must be missing something here like closing the file or something). Any help would be greatly appreciated here. Lastly, I'm using Visual Basic .NET 2003. Source... Dim vFileName As String vFileName = Format(Now(), "MM - dd - yyyy") & " - " & vName Dim oFile As System.IO.File Dim oWrite As System.IO.StreamWriter oWrite = oFile.CreateText("C:\" & vFileName & ".txt") FileOpen(1, "C:\" & vFileName & ".txt", OpenMode.Output) 'CAN'T GET TEXT T...

Need help converting unix text to windows text
I have been working on this for weeks. Whatever my FTP client does to translate the unix text file with each line ending in a LF character back into a LF CR I need some code in Perl to this. The task is, save data from an html form into a flatfile database. I have a Linux server. The program I have allows the user to search for a text file (unix text) and download the file through their browser. It has to convert the little LF's to CRLF. I have tried using some people's suggestion on how to do this. But it doesn't work yet. Right now it serves up the file because I have ever...

text-text

Help needed to retrieve text from a text-file using RegEx
Here is the scenario: It's a command line program. I ask user for a input string. Based on that input string I retrieve text from a text file. My text file looks like following Text-file: ------------- AbcManager=C:\source\code\Modules\Code-AbcManager\ AbcTest=C:\source\code\Modules\Code-AbcTest\ DecConnector=C:\source\code\Modules\Code-DecConnector\ GHIManager=C:\source\code\Modules\Code-GHIManager\ JKLConnector=C:\source\code\Modules\Code-JKLConnector ------------- So now if I run the program and user enters DecConnector Then I'm supposed to show them this text "C:\source\...

Need help with strings, read text and writing text to file...
Hi all; I have writen a program to read in a list of filenmaes and to output javascript and html code. The resulting html code is then run thru a html to js program ( Easy HTML To Any Script Converter]. All this to display the pictures in a slideshow. The code did work at one stage... before I fully tested. But now I don't know whats gone wrong. As the html and javascript look right, as does the js code. There are three slide show, each with their own buttons... However some work, while others don't! #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <...

text + text
What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? It doesn't seem very useful to me. What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text || text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL Server too, I think (CMIIW). -- dave ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 12:57 schrieb David Garamond: > What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? Nothing. > What a...

need help on saving output into text file
[d,fs,nb]=wavread('my.wav'); fid=fopen('test.dat', 'wb'); fwrite(fid, d, 'float32'); fclose(fid); % read back data fid = fopen('test.dat','rb'); x = zeros(1,350000); for i=0:9 c = fread(fid, 35000, 'float32'); %----- user data ----- n1 = 250; n2 = 300; WLen = 2048; w1 = hanningz(WLen); w2 = w1; L = length(c); c = [zeros(WLen, 1); c; ... zeros(WLen-mod(L,n1),1)] / max(abs(c)); %----- initializations ----- tstretch_ratio = n2/n1 x = zeros(WLen+c...

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly i...

need help in capturing output from send command in EXPECT into text file
my code for telnetting into a cisco router,running a simple show version command and capturing the result in a text file using EXPECT IN WIN-XP using expect-5.21 for win -NT package require Expect #!/usr/local/bin/expect # set exp_nt_debug 1 set temp "" set FileToRead test1.txt puts "File To Read is $FileToRead\r" if { [file exists $FileToRead] } \ { puts "$FileToRead exists\r" } else \ { puts "$FileToRead does not exist\r" } if [catch {spawn gettype $FileToRead} reason]\ { puts "Failed to spawn\r" puts "Reason $reason\r&q...

newb: help understanding "TeX capacity exceeded ... text input levels ..."
Good day folks. I'm sorry but the title is a little misleading. I have actually found a work around for my "TeX capacity exceeded" error but the workaround doesn't make sense to me so I'm hoping someone can explain it. Here's the scenario: I've amassed a large number of (La)TeX files consisting of TeX examples for doing various things. I wanted to build all of them and trash those that are no longer of any use to me. I did this with (terminal, bash, & make on a mac): $ for f in *tex; do make ${f%.*}.pdf; done Most of the files build but a small number ...

text classification of speech-to-text output
Can someone please refer me to papers on this subject? Thanks. [ comp.ai is moderated. To submit, just post and be patient, or if ] [ that fails mail your article to <comp-ai@moderators.isc.org>, and ] [ ask your news administrator to fix the problems with your system. ] ...

Help: I need help set an unbound text box
Hello, Please help me I'm still a newbie. I have an unbound text box on a report that I would like to build a expression to display it on the report. Something like txtboxSearchCriteria = [Forms]![frm_PartsSearch]![txtMaterial] in the OnPage Event and sometime this will work and sometime it will not. Is there a better simpler way? Norris Put your code in the Report Header's Print event. Note: Be aware that frm_PartsSearch must be open (can be not visible) when your report opens or you will get the parameter message asking for input. -- ...

I've just used the file command on four files of RDF-XML with the following output: augtfidf.rdf: XML document text kyoto.rdf: XML document text stuff.rdf: XML document text tfidf.rdf: XML document text What does it mean that one of them has an extra space between "XML" and "document"? -- The kid's a hot prospect. He's got a good head for merchandising, an agent who can take you downtown and one of the best urine samples I've seen in a long time. [Dead Kennedys t-shirt] On 16.10.2012 16:06, Adam Funk ...

How to select all texts of the document of the format of the selected text?
Hi,i have selected a text of the document with the specified font face, color and size in MS Word 2000. Now , I want to select all the relevant texts from the entire document with the same format(face,color and size) as of the selected text. so Is there any method or shortcut to do this op.? Not really. You have to "walk" the document checking the styles as you go along. And You have to watch out for cases where the style changes in the middle of a word (!) and code accordingly to get the desired results. chetan26nov@gmail.com wrote: > Hi,i have selected a text of the documen...

Web resources about - HELP: Need text output for a .tex document - comp.text.tex

Killian documents controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The provider of the documents, Lt. Col. Bill Burkett , claims to have burned the originals after faxing copies to CBS. CBS News producer Mary ...

US and Britain hacked Israeli air force to spy on drones, Snowden documents show
'We know that the Americans spy on the whole world, and also on us, also on their friends,' Israeli minister said. 'But still, it is disappointing.' ...

US and Britain hacked Israeli air force to spy on drones, Snowden documents show
'We know that the Americans spy on the whole world, and also on us, also on their friends,' Israeli minister said. 'But still, it is disappointing.' ...

Navy wrongly gave Kate Malonyay's killer Elliott Coulson a military funeral, FOI documents reveal
Documents obtained by Lateline under freedom of information reveal the Navy wrongly gave murderer Elliott Coulson a military funeral.

What’s stupid this month: Xerox patents sharing documents online
... and yanked it into the bleak January sunlight. US Patent No. 9,240,000 , entitled "Social Network for Enabling the Physical Sharing of Documents," ...

No gun used by Maryland teen charged in Va. murder, documents say
Baltimore Sun No gun used by Maryland teen charged in Va. murder, documents say Baltimore Sun Natalie Keepers (left), of Laurel, and David ...

New cloud service helps organizations meet document preservation requirements
Companies increasingly face demands to keep documents in order to satisfy legal and compliance requirements. This can present problems in deciding ...

NTSB Releases Documents In Deadly Amtrak Crash Investigation
In his first interview with the NTSB, Amtrak 188 engineer Brandon Bostian tells investigators that his last memory from that night was "turning ...

NSA documents show US and UK spied on Israeli military drones
CNN NSA documents show US and UK spied on Israeli military drones CNN Washington (CNN) American and British spies have secretly monitored ...

Documents: Mets Owners' Real Estate Fund Was $300 Million In The Hole This Past June
The owners of the New York Mets are no strangers to financial calamity. After losing $550 million in Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme and paying ...