How to use my own font names (i.e. a creating font aliases?)

I would like to be able to specific the fonts with my own name, as right now I
have to specify ua1r8r for Arial:

\font\arial10=ua1r8r at 10pt

Instead, I want to be able to write:

\font\arial10=arial at 10pt

Can I change the font name to do that?  Thanks! - Mark
0
mrl (31)

Mark London <mrl@psfc.mit.edu> wrote:
: I would like to be able to specific the fonts with my own name, as right now I
: have to specify ua1r8r for Arial:

: \font\arial10=ua1r8r at 10pt

: Instead, I want to be able to write:

: \font\arial10=arial at 10pt

: Can I change the font name to do that?  Thanks! - Mark

Well, that's the font name in your system. You can of course rename your
fonts on disk (be sure to rename the .tfm- and .vf-files). This is prone
to error, though. If you really want to hide the font names, you can do
the following:

\def\arial{ua1r8r}	     % 0. Hide your original font name
			     %
\font\arialx=\arial\ at 10pt % Two important changes here:
			     %
			     % 1. \arial10 is understood by TeX
			     %    as the command \arial followed
			     %    by the argument 10; hence \arialx
			     %
			     % 2. Watch the additional backslash
			     %    before the at; if omitted, the 'at'
			     %    will be concatenated with the font
			     %    name.

However, since the whole point of the exercise of the following line

: \font\arialx=ua1r8r at 10pt

IS to offer a simple mnemonic to the user for font switching, the variant
above is slightly futile. Defined once, the proper invocation allows you
to say '\arialx' throughout  your whole document ever after, until \bye
parts you.

Oliver.

--
Dr. Oliver Corff              e-mail:    corff@zedat.fu-berlin.de
0
<corff@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Mark London <mrl@psfc.mit.edu> wrote:
> : I would like to be able to specific the fonts with my own name, as right
> : now I
> : have to specify ua1r8r for Arial:
>
> : \font\arial10=ua1r8r at 10pt
>
> : Instead, I want to be able to write:
>
> : \font\arial10=arial at 10pt
>
> : Can I change the font name to do that?  Thanks! - Mark
>
> Well, that's the font name in your system. You can of course rename your
> fonts on disk (be sure to rename the .tfm- and .vf-files). This is prone
> to error, though. If you really want to hide the font names, you can do
> the following:
>
> \def\arial{ua1r8r}      % 0. Hide your original font name
>             %
> \font\arialx=\arial\ at 10pt % Two important changes here:

Well, no. The command "\ " (control space) is a typesetting
command, so it ends the font specification.

\font\arialx=\arial\space at 10pt

Ciao
Enrico
0
gregorio (1367)
10/20/2007 2:30:05 PM
Enrico Gregorio <gregorio@math.unipd.it> wrote:
: <corff@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

: > \font\arialx=\arial\ at 10pt % Two important changes here:

: Well, no. The command "\ " (control space) is a typesetting
: command, so it ends the font specification.

: \font\arialx=\arial\space at 10pt

Dear Enrico,

Thank you for the clarification --- I had tried my example, it compiled
without problems, and I was mistaken to believe it compiled _correctly_.

After sending the example, I thought of:
: \font\arialx=\arial\relax at 10pt

Oliver.
--
Dr. Oliver Corff              e-mail:    corff@zedat.fu-berlin.de
0
corff3 (423)
10/20/2007 7:03:56 PM
<corff@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Enrico Gregorio <gregorio@math.unipd.it> wrote:
> : <corff@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> : > \font\arialx=\arial\ at 10pt % Two important changes here:
>
> : Well, no. The command "\ " (control space) is a typesetting
> : command, so it ends the font specification.
>
> : \font\arialx=\arial\space at 10pt
>
> Dear Enrico,
>
> Thank you for the clarification --- I had tried my example, it compiled
> without problems, and I was mistaken to believe it compiled _correctly_.
>
> After sending the example, I thought of:
> : \font\arialx=\arial\relax at 10pt

It doesn't work either, because \relax is unexpandable. TeX expands
tokens after the = (which can be omitted, but it's the same thing)
in order to see if the tfm file name is followed by the keyword "at"
or "scaled"; in the first case it looks for a dimension, in the second
one it looks for a number, expanding tokens.

Since \relax is not expandable, it ends the search. Indeed \relax is
frequently used for the purpose of stopping the search for keywords,
for example with glue specifications like "\hskip 2pt plus 1pt\relax".

Ciao
Enrico
0
gregorio (1367)

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

ClearType: Does Java AWT use its own font or use the OS's font in displaying text field?
Hi folks, I need to display some ClearType text in a static text field of a GUI window using Java AWT. I heard that Java 2D itself currently does not support ClearType sub-pixel technology. I am wondering if AWT can render font using OS's global font setting, for instance, on Windows XP, the ClearType font can be enabled globally, on Linux, it also has sub-pixel rendering technology can can be enabled OS wide. I am wondering if the Java AWT uses OS's font by default? Furthermore, what shall I do if I want to capture the RGB pixel values of the displayed text and save to harddisk? Th...

Using a named font before creating it
I'm observing the following behavior in ActiveTcl 8.5.2 on SuSE Linux 11.0: Tk allows you to used a named font before you actually create it, but if you do this, it silently ignores your instructions when you subsequently create the font. The following script demonstrates what I mean: package require Tk toplevel .top set txt [text .top.txt] $txt tag configure test -font testfont ;# use the non-existent named font font create testfont -family serif -size 72 ;# now create the named font grid $txt -sticky nsew $txt insert end "This is a test." test I admit, it seem...

FONTS ? (name of default font using gplot cgmof97L ?)
Does anyone know the name of the default font please when using gplot with cgmof97L ? The default font only seems to be usable with single letter upper case characters. I can use other fonts such as zapf, or swiss or complex or simplex but it would be very helpful to know just which the default font is. The trouble is that the default font comes out best on my output, but for some tests I need more characters and so have to use another font for those and the difference between them is a bit problematic. If I knew the name of the default font I might be able to get a workaround. Thanks ...

Re: FONTS ? (name of default font using gplot cgmof97L ?)
radevenz@IX.NETCOM.COM sagely replied: >Not sure of the default, but you can specify your default using > goptions ftext="{true-type-font-name}", or > goptions ftext={SAS-font-name} > >CGMOF97L is also graphics device with 'hardware' fonts. You should be able >to specify which one you want by using > goptions CHARTYPE={chartype-#}, or > HWCGM### in font specifications (e.g. title f=HWCGM006 "This text >should >be rendered Times Roman Bold") > >Use SAS Explorer to view SASHELP.DEVICES.CGMOF97L. It should show >...

font to use in another font
I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out there that I could use in my font? It would have to be completely free of copyright. Thanks. -John John Baima In article <s1gh55l9098r98bu1481bf1k846217vko2@4ax.com>, John Baima <john@nospam.com> wrote: > I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the > characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English > glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out the...

Name of the font? Nome font?
Qualcuno mi puo' indicare il nome della font in immagine? Anyone could help me to find the name of the font of the linked image?... http://www.digitalroads.it/temp/font.jpg Grazie/Thanks -- "Papa',cosa sono le icone? - Sono immagini sacre. - E perche Windows ne ha tante? - Perche ci vogliono i miracoli per farlo funzionare" ]-[ardcastle - ICQ#115164955 In article <b27vn1lpt0q7b83dsvljriptjgkqlepi4t@4ax.com>, "M'Pol aka ]-[ardcastle" <lomjoeNOWASTE@hotmail.com> wrote: > Qualcuno mi puo' indicare il nome della font in immagine? > Anyo...

Requesting a font/font name
Hi. I want the font which is used in Naruto anime (english, aired by cartoon network) subtitling, used to describe the name of episode. OR, please tell the name of that font! ADNAN_16A2@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. I want the font which is used in Naruto anime (english, aired by > cartoon network) subtitling, used to describe the name of episode. OR, > please tell the name of that font! A sample would likely be very helpful for font identification. I have access to some of the DVDs, so I'll see if I can get a frame grab... -- Vid the Kid "Does this font make me look fat?&quo...

help with font error: "Could not find/open font when opening font arial, using internal non-scalable font"
Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the above message when I try to run the following script. Can someone please educate me? :-) Thanks! set term png set output '| display png:-' # cool trick plot sin(x) with lines Setting the term font does not help: set term png font arial 14 size 800,600 Also, according to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I, I should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation Liberatio...

embedded fonts in the pdf document created using pdf(la)tex
Hei, I created my pdf document by using pdftex, but some fonts are not embedded. Could anyone guide me through this. Thanks, -Duc DVD <beha.onlineREMOVE_THIS@gmail.com> writes: > Hei, > > I created my pdf document by using pdftex, but some fonts are not > embedded. Could anyone guide me through this. FAQ. See section "Quality of PDF from PostScript", under http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=dvips-pdf . -- Maurizio Loreti http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Padova, Italy ROT13: y...

font editing software for tex fonts?
In my one foray into creating a virtual font, which was a replacement for the math italic font for use with Times Roman, the *really* tedious part was adjusting the font metrics. Are there are wysiwig font editors for tex font metrics? (I've seen VTeX's TFM Editor, but it only works for fonts in VTeX's IF4 format and I don't think it can be used with virtual fonts.) How about the following alternative? Use a PostScript font editor to create a composite type 1 font, adjust the metrics in that font editor, and then use afm2tfm? I see a couple problems with this approach:...

font names versus font files
My OS is windows xp. When an html file contains a line such as <font face="comic sans ms" size=+1> the file that is picked up is not "comic sans ms" but simply "comic.ttf". Where is the code that correlates "comic sans ms" with "comic.ttf"? Is this the reason that fonts are "installed" in windows? Installed so that the look-up table is corrected? Tnx, Charles On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, charles cashion wrote: > Where is the code that correlates "comic sans ms" > with "comic.ttf"? The operating system doe...

How to display a font name and font sizes
Hi folks, I'd like to print name font (and any sizes) in colophon. We've tried for instance \the\font and \the\familydefault and \f@family and many others but its output is weird number (ie "Arial(0)", SIL(0)". Here is our example: \documentclass[showtrims,a4paper,13pt]{memoir} \usepackage[brazilian]{babel} \usepackage{microtype} % XeLaTeX \usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode} \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text} \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Arial} \setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex-text]{Charis SIL} \setmonofont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Charis SIL} \...

Font name in Windows font dialogs
Hello dear newsgroup readers, When i look into the Microsoft Word font chooser, I see all fonts rendered with the glyphs they contain, except "Windings", "MS Outlook" and some others. My own barcode font now is rendered with its name shown in the symbols of my font which makes really hard to distinguish from other barcode fonts in the drop down list. How do i make windows to show my font name without using the glyphs from my font? With best regards, Daniel Migowski Daniel Migowski wrote: > Hello dear newsgroup readers, > > When i look...

Web resources about - How to use my own font names (i.e. a creating font aliases?) - comp.text.tex

Wikipedia:Creating a bot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is often far simpler to request a bot job from an existing bot. If you have only periodic requests or are uncomfortable with programming languages, ...

Sandi Krakowski’s Tips for Creating Great Content
Quick tips to help you create great content for your business.

Bug - Creating a Video.Watches Action stopped working - Facebook-Entwickler
Since today executing a POST on a me/video.wacthes endpoints no longer works, it was working around 10 hours ago since then the call always returns ...

Facebook simplifies process for creating repeat events
Facebook introduced a new feature for events this week that allows users to quickly create a similar event as one they previously hosted or attended. ...

The Obama campaign won by creating their own Facebook, with unique features for political campaigns.
... seen as too dangerous to nominate someone who is so thoroughly narcissistic, arrogant and dishonest. The Obama campaign won basically by creating ...

Creating A Road Map To Market Your Startup
Spreading the word can be challenging when you’re new to an industry, don’t have a big budget, and have little helpbut it’s possible.You’ll need ...

Dance Machine - The Fun Video Editor for Creating Music Videos to share on Instagram, Facebook, Vine ...
Get Dance Machine - The Fun Video Editor for Creating Music Videos to share on Instagram, Facebook, Vine, and Twitter on the App Store. See screenshots ...

Creating Economic Dynamism: Joseph E. Stiglitz
DAVOS/SWITZERLAND, 25JAN13 - Joseph E. Stiglitz, Professor, Columbia University, USA talks during the session 'Creating Economic Dynamism' at ...

YouTube - Super Human Abilities: Tila Tequila Creating Energy Balls & Electricity Out of Thin Air!
Veröffentlicht am 24.04.2013 Hey Guys! For a long time now I have been able to do some pretty supernatural things that most would consider "SUPER ...