Italic text and math: spacing / lm-math silently fails to display glyphs

Hello,

I am trying to solve the following problem:

Using math in italicised text yields to unpleasant spacing. It seems to be
even more obvious while using Latin Modern (lmodern or cfr-lm). In my
document it looks almost as if there were two spaces after an equation
that ends with "Y". Also, punctuation after such an equation is way off.

Compare http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/3490/ and see below for a
minimal example. In times of sophisticated packages as microtype I find it
surprising that there seems to be no "proper" fix for this.
Nonetheless, using unicode-math (and lm-math at that) seems to solve this
problem (feed the example below through lualatex). The drawback is that lm-
math seems to lack (many?) glyphs; at least they do not show up in the
document (eg. the \mapsto below). This problem is specific to Latin Modern
Math; if I use XITS or Asana-Math, all glyphs are displayed.

So my questions are:

a) Is there really no solution for this problem using pdflatex?
b) Am I correct about my assumption that lm-math is lacking all these
glyphs or is it something specific to my setup? http://www.gust.org.pl/
projects/e-foundry/lm-math states "LM and LM Math taken together may now
be regarded as a full descendant of Computer Modern" which certainly lacks
that certain notion of being half-finished.
b1) If so, how can I tell what glyphs are affected? I did not spot any
complaint in lualatex's output or in the log file.
b2) If so, is it possible to substitute these glyphs from, say Computer
Modern Math?

Can someone help me with the answer of any of these questions?

Thanks in advance,
Dominic

------------

\documentclass{minimal}

\usepackage{ifluatex}

\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{mathtools}

\mathtoolsset{mathic}

\newtheorem{theorem}{Theorem}

\ifluatex
  \usepackage{unicode-math}
  \setmainfont{Latin Modern Roman}
  \setmathfont{Latin Modern Math}
\fi

\begin{document}

\begin{theorem}
  This text is typeset in italic. Let \(Y\) be a vector field. This vector
field, denoted by \(Y\), is parallel. Consider a family \(Y_{t}\) of
things.
\end{theorem}

Testing: \(x \mapsto \int_{0}^{1}x^{2}dx\), as well as \(\in\), \(\not\in
\) and \(\notin\).
\end{document}

program to display text files with imbedded TeX Math expressions.
I am reading a mailing list. Some of the messages contain embedded TeX math expressions (escaped with $). The messages themselves are not valid TeX or LaTeX; they do not have the proper headers. Are there programs to properly display these math expressions? -- Paul Elliott 1(512)837-1096 pelliott@io.com PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J http://www.io.com/~pelliott/pme/ Austin TX 78758-3117 Under Plain TeX you dont need any headers. Just an ending \bye. On NeXTstep you could use TeXview.app's TeX eq -> eps Service to convert them inlin...

Is there a way to have math that is not "display math" look like display math?
Hello. I would like to have TeX typeset math in "displaymath" mode, but without centering it. Is this possible? For example, when entering: $\lim_{n \to \infty}$, the arrow to infinity will appear next to the limit. But when entering: $$\lim_{n \to \infty}$$, TeX will place the arrow directly underneath the limit. Is there are way to control placements like this directly? (another example would be, placing the limits of integration above and below the integral sign as opposed to the right of it). Thank you, Ray L. Ray <rslevitt@optonline.net> wr...

text + text

text-text

spacing between text embedded math characters
Dear all, I'm a beginner. I have the following lines in my preamble \thinmuskip=2mu \medmuskip=2.5mu plus 1mu minus 1mu \thickmuskip=4mu plus 1.5mu minus 1mu However, this does not have any affect on spacing between math characters that are embeded in the actual text. Is it possble to adjust the spacing between math characters that are embedded in the text, so that it is consistent with above spacing for displayed math characters? Thanks in advance for any help. On 01 Apr 2004 15:07:30 GMT, WN789 <wn789@aol.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I'm a beginner. > >...

Latex/Removing italics from text in Maths Mode
How would one add non-italicized text while in mathematics mode? The "\" as in \lim works for some commands but not all. Basically I am looking at editing something like this \begin{equation} subject to \end{equation} I would like the phrase "subject to" non-italicized. cheers - Kingsley "jk" <z3015094NOSPAM@student.unsw.edu.au> writes: > I would like the phrase "subject to" non-italicized. Have a look to the \text command in the AMS classes. -- Maurizio Loreti http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html Dept. of Ph...

"Italic correction" in math text?
The recent post on italic correction reminded me of a problem that I've recently come across, and would like to have a solution to. In the math that I've recently been doing, I occasionally have things like $\overline{\boldsymbol{U}}_i$. This ends up with the subscript too far to the right, rather than tucked in under the U as it should be. However, if I stick the subscript inside the \overline argument, it's correctly placed but the overline extends too far to the left (obviously because it's covering the subscript too). What's a good way to fix this? I should note th...

(La)TeX math -> fixed width text
Hello ctt, I was playing around with Unicode and I made a HTML page with some mathematical expressions using fixed-width characters: http://wiki.auf-trag.de/textmath.html Is there a program that would make something like that automatically from LaTeX math code? (I know it's ugly, I'm just asking out of curiosity) Regards, Stephan Stephan Walter wrote: > Hello ctt, > > I was playing around with Unicode and I made a HTML page with some > mathematical expressions using fixed-width characters: > > http://wiki.auf-trag.de/textmath.html > > Is there a prog...

What is "Text Display"? Text Display vs. Label
What is the difference between the text display vs label? They would seem to be different "objects" in Cadence?? I am not sure how to think about each of them. They both seem to be capable to have the same layer-purpose pair. I was also curious once I stream out my database to a gds if they both continue to retain a difference or if they both became text in gds. Just wondering, thanks for any insight. On Nov 6, 10:35 pm, vlsidesign <ford...@gmail.com> wrote: > What is the difference between the text display vs label? They would > seem to be different "objects"...

text braces in display math environments with MathTime Pro 2 fonts
I am unable to use text braces in display math environments while using the MathTime Pro 2 package from PCTeX. Here is a minimal example: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{mtpro2} \begin{document} $$\textrm{\{x\}}$$ \end{document} I am using pdflatex and MiKTeX 2.7. When I try to compile this example, I get a "Missing $ inserted" message and no PDF is created. Not loading the mtpro2 package fixes the problem -- but is there an easy way to fix the problem while using that package? I can get around the problem by replacing the text braces (\{ and \}) with \textbraceleft and \textbraceright. But I would like to find a more succinct fix. Thank you, --John On Nov 12, 7:43=A0pm, John Bullock <john.bull...@gmail.com> wrote: > I am unable to use text braces in display math environments while > using > the MathTime Pro 2 package from PCTeX. =A0Here is a minimal example: > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 \documentclass{article} > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 \usepackage{mtpro2} > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 \begin{document} > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 $$\textrm{\{x\}}$$ > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 \end{document} > > I am using pdflatex and MiKTeX 2.7. =A0When I try to compile this > example, > I get a "Missing $ inserted" message and no PDF is created. Not > loading > the mtpro2 package fixes the problem -- but is there an easy way to > fix > the problem while using that package? > > I can get around ...

I want bold \glsnamefont for both text and math (symbols) but \ifmmode tests upon entry, not if argument (#1) is math mode based
Suppose I have two entries: =20 \newglossaryentry{exists}{type=3Dsymbols, name=3D{\ensuremath{\exists}}, description=3D{is the mathematical symbol for \emph{there exists}.}, sort=3D{exists} } \newglossaryentry{such that}{type=3Dsymbols, name=3D{\text{s.t.}, description=3D{is the mathematical symbol for \emph{such that}.}, sort=3D{such that}, } If I use \renewcommand{\glsnamefont}[1]{\ifmmode{\boldsymbol{#1}}\else{\textbf{#1}}\= fi} it appears \ifmmode always executes \else because going in it is not in mat= h mode, entry exists switches it into math mode but \glsnamefont tests befo= re #1 goes into math mode (or at least that is what I think is happening). = I need a test that sees if #1 goes into math mode (or some other way to te= st....) Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated, david s. On 12/02/14 03:12, Dave94705 wrote: > Suppose I have two entries: > > \newglossaryentry{exists}{type=symbols, > name={\ensuremath{\exists}}, > description={is the mathematical symbol for \emph{there exists}.}, > sort={exists} > } > > \newglossaryentry{such that}{type=symbols, > name={\text{s.t.}, > description={is the mathematical symbol for \emph{such that}.}, > sort={such that}, > } > > If I use > > \renewcommand{\glsnamefont}[1]{\ifmmode{\boldsymbol{#1}}\else{\textbf{#1}}\fi} > > it appears \ifmmode always executes \else b...

CTAN update: TeX Gyre Pagella Math and TeX Gyre Termes Math
the daemon pronounced: > Name of contribution: TeX Gyre Pagella Math and TeX Gyre Termes Math updates > Author's name: Staszek Wawrykiewicz > Author's email: staw@gust.org.pl > Package version: 1.605 and 1.502 > Location on CTAN: fonts/tex-gyre-math/ > Summary description: TeX Gyre Pagella Math and TeX Gyre Termes Math > are math companions for the TeX Gyre Pagella and TeX Gyre Termes > families of fonts > License type: other-free > > > Announcement text given by the package's contributor: > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > TeX Gyre Pagella Math (ver. 1.605) and TeX Gyre Termes Math (ver. 1.502) > are math companions for the TeX Gyre Pagella and TeX Gyre Termes families > of fonts (see http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/) in > the OpenType format. > > Authors: Bogus\l{}aw Jackowski, Piotr Strzelczyk and Piotr Pianowski > > Please note, that the naming of the fonts file was changed to the unified > scheme <full font name, lowercase, nospaces>-math.otf > > Users may view the package catalogue entry at > http://www.ctan.org/pkg/tex-gyre-math > or they may browse the package directory at > http://mirror.ctan.org/fonts/tex-gyre-math/ all now installed, catalogued, etc. thanks for the update. Robin Fairbairns For the CTAN team On 2013-02-08 12:09:15 +0100, CTAN Announceme...

aligning text with space-normalized text
I have a string with a bunch of whitespace in it, and a series of chunks of that string whose indices I need to find. However, the chunks have been whitespace-normalized, so that multiple spaces and newlines have been converted to single spaces as if by ' '.join(chunk.split()). Some example data to clarify my problem: py> text = """\ .... aaa bb ccc .... dd eee. fff gggg .... hh i. .... jjj kk. .... """ py> chunks = ['aaa bb', 'ccc dd eee.', 'fff gggg hh i.', 'jjj', 'kk.'] Note that the origin...

Running winecfg has No text or damaged text displayed
below is a discription of a "fix" for this problem from the wiki wine page but i dont understand how the registry is relevant since i dont have windows on this box. please help 6.18. Running winecfg has No text or damaged text displayed or 6.19. Using wine over remote X11 sessions and No text or damaged text displayed Please make sure not have added any fonts to wine. Font conflicts can sometimes cause a similar issue. If a fresh wine prefix.(A copy of wine that nothing has been done to yet) Is having this problem. Try setting following in registry [HKEY_CURRENT_...

Failed to set text in the text control (wxGTK)
I've been working with wxWidgets (wxMSW) for a couple years and I love it! I recently started compiling my sources on a Linux box using wxGTK. I'm currently using wxWidgets 2.7.0 both on Win32 (WinXP) and Linux/GTK (under Fedora Core 5). I currently need to compile for non-Unicode ANSI builds on both platforms. Although I've had no problems setting strings of text containing "smart quotes" into my wxTextCtrl widgets under wxMSW, I've been getting "Failed to set text in the text control" errors under wxGTK whenever the strings contain one or more of...

Is it possible to display Arabic text in the text widget?
Hi all, I am using Tk 8.6, and I am trying to display some Arabic text inside a text widget, under windows. First of all, the text is left-to-right, but more strangely, it changes with each mouse click. Am I doing something wrong? George On 17 Dez., 21:55, George Petasis <petas...@yahoo.gr> wrote: > Hi all, > > I am using Tk 8.6, and I am trying to display some Arabic text inside a > text widget, under windows. First of all, the text is left-to-right, but > more strangely, it changes with each mouse click. > Am I doing something wrong? George, please post your code, prefered using \uxxxx for the arabic characters text .a ..a insert \uxxxx\uxxxx I have seen this already to. Another explanation for the moving text is, that there are unprintable characters. Example: AB\u0029CD where the widget thinks, there are 5 characters, but only 4 are displayed. Harald Στις 18/12/2012 12:56, ο/η Harald Oehlmann έγραψε: > On 17 Dez., 21:55, George Petasis <petas...@yahoo.gr> wrote: >> Hi all, >> >> I am using Tk 8.6, and I am trying to display some Arabic text inside a >> text widget, under windows. First of all, the text is left-to-right, but >> more strangely, it changes with each mouse click. >> Am I doing something wrong? > > George, please post your code, prefered using \uxxxx for the arabic > characters > text .a > .a insert \uxxxx\uxxxx > > I ha...

Read and display Japanese text from text file
Hi there, a while ago, I posted a question regarding reading japanese text from a text file. Well, since I solved the problem, I thought I'd post my solution for the benefit of other people with the same problem. The plan was to make a script to read and display japanese text. I will use it for making a japanese proverb script and for a japanese language study script. Method : I wrote a simple kanji text file (saved with UTF-8 encoding) I wrote a simple PHP script to display the file contents (saved with UTF-8 encoding) I specified the content-type header for the HTML page : <meta h...

How to display text messages in a scrolling text area?
To display text messages (as - for example - in a window with log messages) in a scrolling text area, there are several Swing components I am aware of: http://download.java.net/jdk7/docs/api/javax/swing/JTextArea.html http://download.java.net/jdk7/docs/api/javax/swing/JTextPane.html http://download.java.net/jdk7/docs/api/javax/swing/JEditorPane.html I might want to subclass one of them for my �log area�. While I only think of plain text output now, more features, such as different typefaces or text colors might come in handy later. I also might want to use one of them in teach...

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

Pages

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter...

Math alignment in text mode.
Hello and happy new year. I am looking for an alternative solution to give an equivalent result with the following code. The problem is that \left and \right go beyond the text when the formula is aligned on top. I am quite sure there is a better solution. Thank you, Kon. \documentclass{article} \usepackage{amsmath} \begin{document} Text aligned at top $\begin{aligned}[c] {}\\ \Biggl\{ \end{aligned} \begin{aligned}[t] a &< b \\ &< c \end{aligned} \begin{aligned}[c] {}\\ \Biggr\} \end{aligned}$ with aligned formula. \end{document...

Beamer: math characters in text
Hi, as scientist I often use Greek letters in a non-mathematical context, e.g., $\alphaup$-subunit (using the kp-fonts, but $\alpha$ gives the same problem). Then alpha is in math-color, rather than text-color. Of course one could change mathcolor, but that would also affect the display of math proper. It would also not work in other contexts, say, in \frametile. Any suggestions? Thanks Engelbert Am Samstag, den 13.08.2011, 09:05 -0400 schrieb Dr Engelbert Buxbaum:=20 > Hi, >=20 > as scientist I often use Greek letters in a non-mathematical context,=20 > e.g., $\alphaup$-subunit (using the kp-fonts, but $\alpha$ gives the=20 > same problem). Then alpha is in math-color, rather than text-color.=20 >=20 > Of course one could change mathcolor, but that would also affect the=20 > display of math proper. It would also not work in other contexts, say,= =20 > in \frametile. >=20 > Any suggestions? >=20 > Thanks >=20 > Engelbert Search for "textalpha" plus "LaTeX" http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX-Kompendium:_Sonderzeichen: Im Herbst 2010 ist das Paket textgreek auf CTAN erschienen. Es stellt im normalen Text \textalpha sowie alle anderen Griechischen Zeichen bereit (auch Gro=C3=9Fbuchstaben, \textPi), wechseln in den Mathemodus ist nicht notwendig. I did not test that. Bernhard On 2011-08-13, Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote: > as scientist I often use Greek letters in a non-mathematical context, > ...

Web resources about - Italic text and math: spacing / lm-math silently fails to display glyphs - comp.text.tex

Raqqa Is Being Slaughtered Silently - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The group has published first hand accounts, videos and photos of life and war crimes in Raqqa through its Facebook page and website, other social ...

‫Chronik-Fotos - الرقة تذبح بصمت Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently - Facebook‬
#الرقة_تذبح_بصمت #Raqqa #Syria #ISIS #Exclusive #IS's Al-Khansa'a all-female battalion uses new torture techniques against women in the city ...

Silently Cooking - Gumbo - YouTube
NOT AUTHENTIC. The first in my video series based around Simple Cheap Cooking - created for those of us who wish TV food personalities would ...

NRL's top stars silently fume over cash stash
The NRL is about to be hit by a new issue - the game's elite players are fuming about the decision to allow the game's boss Dave Smith to throw ...

Woman suffered spousal abuse silently for eight years, police say
She allegedly suffered eight years of domestic abuse in silence, but told police her main concern was that her children would hear.

Prototype rootkit silently modifies Android apps
Installed web browser replaced with keylogger doppelganger.

Bali Nine pair go silently ahead of execution
Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan go quietly from Kerobokan prison to their place of execution.

Anzac 100: Greatest generation silently disappears as World War I is celebrated
Australia's preoccupation with the centenary of World War I means the rapid thinning of the ranks of the WWII generation is being ignored, speakers ...

Andrew Robb: 'How a 'game changer' politician became an unlikely hero to those suffering silently
He's landed major trade deals and held some of the most senior roles in federal politics. But Andrew Robb's real legacy is not the most obvious. ...