joke: LaTeX Error: \Begin{document} ended by \end{document}.

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
  \def\else{Ha! Ha!}
\end{document}

Hello!

When running the example above, I get the following message:

LaTeX Error: \Begin{document} ended by \end{document}.

Well. OK. Why is this an error?

Regards

Ulrich

"Ulrich Diez" <ulrich.diez@alumni.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
>   \def\else{Ha! Ha!}
> \end{document}
>
> Hello!
>
> When running the example above, I get the following message:
>
> LaTeX Error: \Begin{document} ended by \end{document}.
>
> Well. OK. Why is this an error?

Because you broke LaTeX.
Use \newcommand\else{Oops} and find out.

Hell, you get bogus "Extra }" errors from fragile commands in moving
arguments, without even breaking LaTeX itself.

Some other attractive command names are \box, \output, \above, \count,
\day, \if, \mark, \number, \over, \read, ... all of which are fundamental
TeX commands, used internally.

--
Donald Arseneau                          asnd@triumf.ca
0
Donald Arseneau <asnd@triumf.ca> writes:

> > Well. OK. Why is this an error?

> Because you broke LaTeX.

OK, I did understand the posting to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek
(or "cheeky") but I didn't notice the "subject" or realize it was
a straight-out joke.

Sorry to be a rube.  In my defence, I've been typing
"less secure" in ernest today.

--
Donald Arseneau                          asnd@triumf.ca
0
asnd (4601)
2/23/2005 6:48:09 AM
 "Ulrich Diez" <ulrich.diez@alumni.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>\documentclass{article}
>\begin{document}
>  \def\else{Ha! Ha!}
>\end{document}
>
>When running the example above, I get the following message:
>
>LaTeX Error: \Begin{document} ended by \end{document}.
>
>Well. OK. Why is this an error?

very witty.  of course, the report is fraudulent, since \begin isn't
capitalised in real latex output (i notice these things ;-)
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
"Robin Fairbairns" <rf@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

<snip>

> >LaTeX Error: \Begin{document} ended by \end{document}.
> >
> >Well. OK. Why is this an error?
>
> very witty.  of course, the report is fraudulent, since \begin isn't
> capitalised in real latex output (i notice these things ;-)

Well, this report is not fraudulent.

I was expecting an error and did not get one!

And I was bitten by it today.

===
$ latex
This is e-TeX, Version 3.141592-2.1 (MiKTeX 2.4)
**\relax
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7j> and hyphenation patterns for english, french, german, ngerman,
du
mylang, nohyphenation, loaded.

*\let\wibble\relax

*\newcommand\wibble{}

*\newcommand\relax{}

! LaTeX Error: Command \relax already defined.
               Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

<*> \newcommand\relax{}

?

*
===

--
Jonathan

0
J.Fine (440)
2/23/2005 3:11:45 PM
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:11:45 -0000, Jonathan Fine <J.Fine@open.ac.uk>
wrote:

> I was expecting an error and did not get one!
>
> And I was bitten by it today.
>
> ===
> $ latex
> This is e-TeX, Version 3.141592-2.1 (MiKTeX 2.4)
> **\relax
> entering extended mode
> LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
> Babel <v3.7j> and hyphenation patterns for english, french, german,
> ngerman,
> du
> mylang, nohyphenation, loaded.
>
> *\let\wibble\relax
>
> *\newcommand\wibble{}
>
> *\newcommand\relax{}
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Command \relax already defined.
>                Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.

Write Don that the decision to let \csname <undefined>\endcsname turn into
\relax was a bad idea and ask for it to be changed.
--
Morten H�gholm
My armpits may be smelly but my is address not.
"Morten H�gholm" <moho01ab@smelly.student.cbs.dk> wrote in message

<snip>

> Write Don that the decision to let \csname <undefined>\endcsname turn into
> \relax was a bad idea and ask for it to be changed.

Not necessary.  And perhaps not a bug.

Instead use (untested).

  \def\csarg#1{%
      \begingroup
      \expandafter\endgroup
      \expandafter#1%
      \csname
    }

  \csarg\show wibble\endcsname

This confines the side effect of \csname to a group.
And restores it before #1 is executed.

So the outcome is effectively the same as
  \show\wibble

BTW, as you may already know, bug reports should be sent
to Barbara Beeton or TUG, and not to Knuth.

See:
    http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=bug

I doubt that this \csname 'bug' would be passed on to
Knuth.

And well done for getting to the gist of the problem with
\newcommand that I reported.

--
Jonathan

0
J.Fine (440)
2/23/2005 5:58:45 PM
wrote:

>"Robin Fairbairns" <rf@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
>
><snip>
>
>> >LaTeX Error: \Begin{document} ended by \end{document}.
>> >
>> >Well. OK. Why is this an error?
>>
>> very witty.  of course, the report is fraudulent, since \begin isn't
>> capitalised in real latex output (i notice these things ;-)
>
>Well, this report is not fraudulent.
>
>I was expecting an error and did not get one!

You did get an error, but maybe not the one you expected.

\newcommand will redefine anything that is
  (a) undefined, or
  (b) has been \let to \relax, but is not actually the name "\relax".

So
  \let\wibble\relax \newcommand\wibble
is not an error, but
  \newcommand\relax
is. Quite obvious really. Try it with \tracingmacros=1.

Dan

--
Dan Luecking                     Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas           Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:11:45 -0000, "Jonathan Fine" <J.Fine@open.ac.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>"Robin Fairbairns" <rf@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
>>
>><snip>

>>> very witty.  of course, the report is fraudulent, since \begin isn't
>>> capitalised in real latex output (i notice these things ;-)
>>
>>Well, this report is not fraudulent.
>>
>>I was expecting an error and did not get one!
>
>You did get an error, but maybe not the one you expected.
>
>\newcommand will redefine anything that is
>  (a) undefined, or
>  (b) has been \let to \relax, but is not actually the name "\relax".

So forgetful: each should also say " and doesn't begin with "\end".

Dan

--
Dan Luecking                     Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas           Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
To reply by email, change Look-In-Sig to luecking
0
Look-In-Sig (1094)
2/23/2005 7:18:25 PM
Dan Luecking wrote:

<snip>

>>\newcommand will redefine anything that is
>> (a) undefined, or
>> (b) has been \let to \relax, but is not actually the name "\relax".
>

> So forgetful: each should also say " and doesn't begin with "\end".

Case (b) is, in my opinion, a design flaw.  In LaTeX.

Better, I think, would be:
a)  \newcommand will redefine any undefined control sequence,
provided its name is not reserved.
b)  Reserved control sequences are those whose name begins
with 'end'.
c)  Any other use of \newcommand will raise an error.

And quite possibly easier to implement.

--
Jonathan

0
jfine (686)
2/23/2005 7:50:52 PM
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:58:45 -0000, Jonathan Fine <J.Fine@open.ac.uk>
wrote:

> "Morten H�gholm" <moho01ab@smelly.student.cbs.dk> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
>> Write Don that the decision to let \csname <undefined>\endcsname turn
>> into
>> \relax was a bad idea and ask for it to be changed.
>
> Not necessary.  And perhaps not a bug.

Sure, it's easy enough to provide functions that work around this. We
could have

\def\@ifundefined@cTF#1{%
   \begingroup\expandafter\endgroup
   \expandafter\ifx\csname #1\endcsname\@undefined
     \expandafter\@firstoftwo
   \else
     \expandafter\@secondoftwo
   \fi}

Then imagine this: I constantly need some functions that take some text
and turns it into a control sequence, say a \let@cc function with the
semantics \let@cc{<csname1>}{<csname2>}. Naturally I define a helper
function
   \def\exp@args@Ncc#1#2#3{%
     \expandafter#1\csname#2\expandafter\endcsname
       \csname#3\endcsname
   }
so that I can simply say
   \def\let@cc{\exp@args@Ncc\let}
instead of
   \def\let@cc#1#2{%
     \expandafter\let\csname#1\expandafter\endcsname
     \csname#2\endcsname}
The advantage is that I can use the helper function in many other
contexts. With definitions like these I can even do a
   \def\glet@cc{\global\let@cc}

Now if I decide to implement \exp@args@Ncc using grouping to avoid
\relax'ed control sequences, I simply can't use prefixes anymore. Since I
constantly want to use the \begingroup\expandafter\endgroup trick I'll
probably have to use such helper functions anyway else I'll forget to use
the trick somewhere and then it doesn't matter anymore.

> BTW, as you may already know, bug reports should be sent
> to Barbara Beeton or TUG, and not to Knuth.

Sorry, but this is probably the most ironic thing I've seen all day.

> I doubt that this \csname 'bug' would be passed on to
> Knuth.

This feature has already cost him about 600$ or so according to my source.
--
Morten H�gholm
My armpits may be smelly but my is address not.
UK-TUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
moho01ab5415 (738)
2/23/2005 10:46:47 PM
> Donald Arseneau <asnd@triumf.ca> wrote:
> Sorry

Dear Donald Arseneau,  Dear TeX-experts,

actually it's me who should have introduced this word into the
discussion.
My posting caused annoyance and inconvenience. Please accept
my apologies for having done so. This was not my aim at all.

It was not an intention of expressing disrespect or
contemptuousness that drove me to send the posting.
It was just some kind of "infantile exaltation" and amusement
about the text of that error-message.

I often receive great help via comp.text.tex and I know that I 'm
in debt of gratitude.

I also should have realized that I'm certainly not the first one
to "discover" this
"LaTeX Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{document}."
-message.

I beg pardon for my unthougthfulness.

Yours truely

Ulrich

"Ulrich Diez" <ulrich.diez@alumni.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

>> Donald Arseneau <asnd@triumf.ca> wrote:
>> Sorry
>
> Dear Donald Arseneau,  Dear TeX-experts,
>
> actually it's me who should have introduced this word into the
> discussion.
> My posting caused annoyance and inconvenience. Please accept
> my apologies for having done so. This was not my aim at all.
>
> It was not an intention of expressing disrespect or
> contemptuousness that drove me to send the posting.
> It was just some kind of "infantile exaltation" and amusement
> about the text of that error-message.
>
> I often receive great help via comp.text.tex and I know that I 'm
> in debt of gratitude.
>
> I also should have realized that I'm certainly not the first one
> to "discover" this
> "LaTeX Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{document}."
> -message.
>
> I beg pardon for my unthougthfulness.

Maybe I can up for the recent bout of politesse by starting a spelling
war about "unthougthfulness"?

Anyway, if we are going on about bad jokes with TeX, here is one:

\output{\edef\woozle{{\noexpand\iffalse{\noexpand\fi\iffalse}}\fi}\noexpand}
No!
\end
}\woozle

Explain why the output routine is flagged as unbalanced.  This may be
slightly more tricky than it looks at first glance...

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
dak (3569)
2/24/2005 12:09:39 AM
"Ulrich Diez" <ulrich.diez@alumni.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> > Donald Arseneau <asnd@triumf.ca> wrote:
> > Sorry
>
> Dear Donald Arseneau,  Dear TeX-experts,
>
> actually it's me who should have introduced this word into the
> discussion. My posting caused annoyance and inconvenience.

Don't be ridiculous!  What is this, apology day!?

In case anyone gets the idea I was apologizing, I wasn't.

--
Donald Arseneau                          asnd@triumf.ca
0
asnd (4601)
2/24/2005 6:38:36 AM
 "Ulrich Diez" <ulrich.diez@alumni.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>> Donald Arseneau <asnd@triumf.ca> wrote:
>> Sorry
>
>actually it's me who should have introduced this word into the
>discussion.
>My posting caused annoyance and inconvenience. Please accept
>my apologies for having done so. This was not my aim at all.
>
>It was not an intention of expressing disrespect or
>contemptuousness that drove me to send the posting.
>It was just some kind of "infantile exaltation" and amusement
>about the text of that error-message.
>
>[...]
>
>I also should have realized that I'm certainly not the first one
>to "discover" this
>"LaTeX Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{document}."
>-message.

well, i had certainly not seen it before, myself, and found it rather
amusing.  it's not difficult to see how the effect arises, but it's
amusing for all that.  thanks for drawing my attention to it.

but i then made a far more fatuous remark myself (about you
misspelling \begin as \Begin) which started a *really* silly
sub-thread.

i'm not going to reject your apology, but i really don't believe it
was necessary.
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
rf53 (2582)
2/24/2005 7:37:05 AM
 Morten_H�gholm <moho01ab@smelly.student.cbs.dk> writes:
>On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:58:45 -0000, Jonathan Fine <J.Fine@open.ac.uk>
>wrote:
>> "Morten H�gholm" <moho01ab@smelly.student.cbs.dk> wrote...
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Write Don that the decision to let \csname <undefined>\endcsname turn
>>> into
>>> \relax was a bad idea and ask for it to be changed.
>>
>> Not necessary.  And perhaps not a bug.
>
>Sure, it's easy enough to provide functions that work around this. We
>could have
>
>[...]

sure, it's not a bug.  knuth would reject it, if submitted, on the
ground that it's a feature.  and you know as well as i do[*] that an
awful lot of latex package (if not kernel) code would fall apart if
that feature was changed.  otherwise, we would rewrite \newcommand and
a whole bunch of other things in terms of \ifundefined (given that
future latex uses etex).

>> BTW, as you may already know, bug reports should be sent
>> to Barbara Beeton or TUG, and not to Knuth.
>
>Sorry, but this is probably the most ironic thing I've seen all day.

:-)

>> I doubt that this \csname 'bug' would be passed on to
>> Knuth.
>
>This feature has already cost him about 600$ or so according to my source.

one can imagine a sufficiently anal executor of his (in, we hope the
far distant future) trying to contact all his "debtors" about these
uncashed cheques.  strange to relate, i don't have one, so (even if i
_do_ outlive knuth) i shall be spared that embarrassment...

[*] or probably more so
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
rf53 (2582)
2/24/2005 7:52:10 AM
David Kastrup wrote:

> Anyway, if we are going on about bad jokes with TeX, here is one:
>
> \output{\edef\woozle{{\noexpand\iffalse{\noexpand\fi\iffalse}}\fi}\noexpand}
> No!
> \end
> }\woozle
>
> Explain why the output routine is flagged as unbalanced.  This may be
> slightly more tricky than it looks at first glance...

Perhaps someone ought to start a new thread called "Stupid TeX Tricks"....

Apologies (since it *is* Apology Day) to anyone who doesn't understand
the reference and thinks I am calling him or her stupid. I'm not. (Is
David Letterman widely known outside of North America? And Sweden?)

alan
0
kkarie1 (96)
2/24/2005 3:43:26 PM
Morten H�gholm wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:58:45 -0000, Jonathan Fine <J.Fine@open.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> "Morten H�gholm" <moho01ab@smelly.student.cbs.dk> wrote in message
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Write Don that the decision to let \csname <undefined>\endcsname
>>> turn  into
>>> \relax was a bad idea and ask for it to be changed.
>>

>> Not necessary.  And perhaps not a bug.
>

> Sure, it's easy enough to provide functions that work around this. We
> could have
>
> \def\@ifundefined@cTF#1{%
>   \begingroup\expandafter\endgroup
>   \expandafter\ifx\csname #1\endcsname\@undefined
>     \expandafter\@firstoftwo
>   \else
>     \expandafter\@secondoftwo
>   \fi}

I see that you are a fan of brace delimited arguments.

I think that makes sense when writing documents.
But not always when writing macros.

So I'd package the functionality as:
   \csarg\my@test #1 or whatever\endcsname

   \def\my@test #1{%
       \ifx #1\@undefined
          \expandafter\case@one
        \else
          \expandafter\case@two
        \fi
         #1%
    }

That way, I can use \my@test with both string and control
sequence arguments.  (Have to convert explicitly, though.)

> Then imagine this: I constantly need some functions that take some text
> and turns it into a control sequence, say a \let@cc function with the
> semantics \let@cc{<csname1>}{<csname2>}. Naturally I define a helper
> function
>   \def\exp@args@Ncc#1#2#3{%
>     \expandafter#1\csname#2\expandafter\endcsname
>       \csname#3\endcsname
>   }

Well, to obtain the functionality of \let@cc I would write:
   \csarg\let #1\expandafter\endcsname\csname #2\endcsname

BTW, I'm really fond of \expandafter\endcsname\csname.
I think it's a neat trick.

BTW, your \exp@args takes _3_ parameters.
Are you going to provide variants for 2 up to 9?

> so that I can simply say
>   \def\let@cc{\exp@args@Ncc\let}
> instead of
>   \def\let@cc#1#2{%
>     \expandafter\let\csname#1\expandafter\endcsname
>     \csname#2\endcsname}
> The advantage is that I can use the helper function in many other
> contexts. With definitions like these I can even do a
>   \def\glet@cc{\global\let@cc}
>
> Now if I decide to implement \exp@args@Ncc using grouping to avoid
> \relax'ed control sequences, I simply can't use prefixes anymore. Since
> I  constantly want to use the \begingroup\expandafter\endgroup trick
> I'll  probably have to use such helper functions anyway else I'll forget
> to use  the trick somewhere and then it doesn't matter anymore.

Well, I would do this:
   \def\glet{\global\let}
   \csarg\glet #1\expandafter\endcsname\csname #2\endcsname

>> BTW, as you may already know, bug reports should be sent
>> to Barbara Beeton or TUG, and not to Knuth.
>

> Sorry, but this is probably the most ironic thing I've seen all day.

This is precisely the procedure I followed for the single bug I have
reported.  As I stated in my recent posting.
   http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/4d3661c60242c6cd

I even gave the URL that documents the bug reporting procedure.
   http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=bug

As my report was not passed on, I contacted Don Knuth directly.

>> I doubt that this \csname 'bug' would be passed on to
>> Knuth.
>

> This feature has already cost him about 600$ or so according to my source.

TeX is 'open source'.  The bugs are published.
I looked for it in 'The Error log of TeX', but didn't find it.

Please help - do you have a date or person for this bug?

Anyway, it was fun discussing \csname and \expandafter with you.

--
Jonathan

0
jfine (686)
2/24/2005 7:25:20 PM
"R.H. Allen" <kkarie@hotmail.com> writes:

> Perhaps someone ought to start a new thread called "Stupid TeX Tricks"....

Or just keep using this one....
Hmmm I guess this isn't a joke so much as two bugs:
This version of tetex doesn't obey interrupts or end-of-file (^C,^D)
Macro packages have no way to control error and informational
messages properly.

Of course, the message should say to type \end twice ! ;-)

*
! Interruption.
<*>

?
(Please type a command or say `\end')
*
(Please type a command or say `\end')
*! Interruption.
<*>

? (Please type a command or say `\end')
*
! Interruption.
<*>

?
(Please type a command or say `\end')
*
(Please type a command or say `\end')
*\end

*
Runaway argument?
! Paragraph ended before \end was complete.
<to be read again>
                   \par
<*>

?
(Please type a command or say `\end')
*\end

*\end
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=1500].
\end #1->\csname end#1
                      \endcsname \@checkend {#1}\expandafter \endgroup \if@e...
<*> \end

No pages of output.
Transcript written on texput.log.

--
Donald Arseneau                          asnd@triumf.ca
0
asnd (4601)
2/24/2005 11:03:56 PM
Discovered by chance, a few minutes ago.
===
$ latex
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.7)
**\newcommand{typo}{}
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, n
ohyphenation, loaded.

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

<*> \newcommand{typo}{}

?
===

--
Jonathan

0
jfine (686)

LaTeX Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{indented}.
Dear all, I got this error message, when I was compiling my .tex: LaTeX Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{indented}. The output seems to be okay, though. Any hint? Best Regards, Zulfikar Dharmawan "Zulfikar Dharmawan" <zulfikar.dharmawan@gmail.com> writes: >I got this error message, when I was compiling my .tex: > LaTeX Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{indented}. > >The output seems to be okay, though. Any hint? there's an isolated \end{indented} in your document (one not matched by \begin{indented}, that is). text after the \end{indented} wil...

LaTeX Error: \begin{section} on input line 377 ended by \end{document}.
Newbie question here. I've written a report and when I compile it I get LaTeX Error: \begin{section} on input line 377 ended by \end{document}. Nevertheless, the output seems to be okay. Am I making a mistake here? Thanks! "Steven Endres" <stevenendres@comcast.net> writes: > Newbie question here. I've written a report and when I compile it I get > LaTeX Error: \begin{section} on input line 377 ended by \end{document}. > Nevertheless, the output seems to be okay. Am I making a mistake here? Odd... I never knew about any "section" environment. Wha...

The beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning?
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4747497 The beginning of the end, almost certainly. The cases will drag on into 2008 irrespective, but I'd be very surprised if SCO itself doesn't gone into administration during 2007. They must be almost out of cash by now, and all their assets are probably owed to Novell anyway. We should know more about the cash situation in a couple of weeks. On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, jezlinux wrote: > The beginning of the end, almost certainly. The cases will drag on > into 2008 irrespective, but I'd be very surprised if SCO itself doesn't > gone int...

Text after \end{document}
Greetings. I have noticed that the implementation of LaTeX I use seems to ignore text after \end{document}. Is this behaviour standard? That is, can I count on it to be present in all conforming implementations of LaTeX? Am I free to use the part of the file after \end{document} for annotations, PGP signatures, and whatnot? Regards, Tristan -- _ _V.-o Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)] >< Space is limited / |`-' -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= <> In a haiku, so it's hard (7_\\ http://www.nothingisreal.com/ >< To finish what you Tristan Miller <...

Forcing text to end of document
Hi all, I am preparing a manuscript in latex, in which I have to put the figures, tables and some additional text at the end of the document. Although placing the figures and tables at the end was not that hard, forcing text to appear at the end of a document (after the figures and table) is turning out to be not so easy. Does anybody know of any way to forced some text to appear at the end of a document, or generally, at any specific place in the document? I will greatly appreciate any quick help. Thanks, Gaurav Pandey PhD student, University of Minnesota In article <b9092af4-8e12-4ce...

How to include a latex document in another latex document
I am writing my PhD thesis in latex and I want to include my publications at the end as an appendix. My publications are latex documents themselves. Can somebody tell me how I can include them in my thesis master-document? Thanks Allan "Allan M. Bruce" <allanmb@TAKEAWAYdsl.pipex.com> writes: >I am writing my PhD thesis in latex and I want to include my publications at >the end as an appendix. My publications are latex documents themselves. >Can somebody tell me how I can include them in my thesis master-document? the faq covers this: http://www.tex.ac.uk/c...

xmlrpc error faultCode 105 faultString XML error: Invalid document end at line 1, column 1
Hi, I am trying to use xmlrpc to set up a client/server connection. I used PHP5 in Apache2, with xmlrpc.inc downloaded from http://phpxmlrpc.sourceforge.net/, which is created by Edd Dumbill. Client side is: <?php require_once('xmlrpc.inc'); $c = new xmlrpc_client("http://localhost:84/server.php"); $c->setDebug(1); $m = new xmlrpcmsg('fns_test', array(new xmlrpcval(20, "int"))); $r = $c->send($m); echo $r->serialize(); ?> Server side is: <?php include("xmlrpc.inc"); include("xmlrpcs.inc"); $...

do...end vs. begin..end
I realize what the difference between these two block delimiters is, but I can't seem to put it in words. I realize that you only use do..end when you are passing a block to a method, and that you can use begin..end to create a block expression with a specific return value (and rescue/ensure clauses). How would I explain to someone what the difference is, though? I've been reading through "Programming Ruby" and they just call both of them "block"s. Anyone with a better way of explaining it? -Kurt Hi Kurt, "Brian Candler" <B.Candler@pobox.com>...

How do I Copy an error message to a text document, as text?
How do I Copy an error message to a text editor document (BBEdit, to be specific) as just plain text (what I see in the notebook cell)? I think I've now tried every possible Copy and Copy As . . . option in the Mac front end menus for Mathematica 4.2, with the text selected and with the cell bracket selected; and every one of them (fourteen cases in all) gives me a messy version of the error message with a bunch of formatting markup stuff inserted. Frustrating!!! Seigman: Yasvir was correct in copying Input and Output Forms to plaintext. However, that is not the M...

how to redefine \begin{align*} ... \end{align*} to \begin{eqnarray*} .... \end{eqnarray*}
Hello; I am not good with Latex syntax. I think I need to use \renewenvironment, but I am not getting the syntax right. Scientific word insists in generating displayed math using \begin{align*} ... \end{align*} and htlatex has a bug in that it does not generate bit mapped images in this case, so that math looks ugly. The fix that I found after trial and error is to replace the above with \begin{eqnarray*} .... \end{eqnarray*} So I assume I need to put something in the preamble to tell it that. (I know how to make sure this is effective only only htlatex is running ...

Begin/rescue/end versus do/end
These don't seem orthogonal. It feels like I should be able to do obj.meth do |x| #... rescue SomeException => ex #... end and that either begin should be something like a Kernel method: def begin yield end (although maybe with optional "do"), or blocks could be standalone expressions if not part of a method call (this doesn't _seem_ to cause ambiguity, but someone cleverer could probably find some). So I could do do #... rescue SomeException => ex #... end which behaves just like "begin", and I wouldn't have to use blocks in some places (ite...

I've just used the file command on four files of RDF-XML with the following output: augtfidf.rdf: XML document text kyoto.rdf: XML document text stuff.rdf: XML document text tfidf.rdf: XML document text What does it mean that one of them has an extra space between "XML" and "document"? -- The kid's a hot prospect. He's got a good head for merchandising, an agent who can take you downtown and one of the best urine samples I've seen in a long time. [Dead Kennedys t-shirt] On 16.10.2012 16:06, Adam Funk ...

End Of An Era --> should read end of an ERROR
So I guess in mid January the board did it when they started to take responsibility away from CSF.... Hmmmm CSF sounds like an express Put Carly on the CSF 1. NEWS End Of An Era Hewlett-Packard�s polished but controversial CEO and Chairman since 1999, Carly Fiorina, was asked to resign by the board of directors after disagreements over her leadership style and the company�s growth prospects and direction. Though HP announced Fiorina�s departure Feb. 9, the decision was made in mid-January. Joseph Dolliver e3K Solutions, Inc. 1774 Stuller Road New Windsor, MD 21776...

window.scrollTo to the end of the document?
Greetings again, Is there a good way to scroll to the end of a document? Assuming that document.height doesn't exist in IE, and that window.scrollTo(x,y) and window.scroll(x,y) would demand y = document.height - window.innerHeight; or something like it, can you use something crude like window.scrollBy(0,100000); or do some browsers just ignore that ? Is there a better way? Regards, Peter -- Peter Billam www.pjb.com.au www.pjb.com.au/comp/contact.html Le 5/6/09 5:48 AM, Peter Billam a �crit : > Greetings again, > Is there a good way to scroll to the end of a docu...

end to end security
hi what exactly does end to end security mean?? is SSL considered as an end to end security product? Besides using SSL in web servers/browsers, in what other ways can we make use of SSL? can it be used in file transfers and how to do it?? thanks mike wrote: > > hi > what exactly does end to end security mean?? is SSL considered as an > end to end security product? End-to-end means that the communicating parties en/decrypt themselves. No party along the path is able to decrypt the messages. In this sense SSL is end-to-end. > Besides using SSL in web servers/browsers, in what...

placing floats at the end of the document
Hi 1- Is there a way to send ALL the floating bodies to the END of the document? 2- Can placement for all the floats be specified at the preambule? Thats is, is there a way to change the default [tbp] to anything we like (namely go to end)? Thanks -- Carlos C. Meca Service Hopitalier Frederic Joliot, CEA 4 place du General Leclerc 91401 Orsay, France tel: + 33 (0)1 69 86 77 36 fax: + 33 (0)1 69 86 77 86 e-mail: meca@shfj.cea.fr * Carlos Meca (2003-08-05) writes: > 1- Is there a way to send ALL the floating bodies to the END of the > document? Have a look at the FAQ: htt...

Any documentation for TeX and LaTeX programming ?
Hello Is there any (online?) documentation for /programming/ with TeX and LaTeX ? I know there are a lot of documents about using (La)TeX to create books, but what I need is: - macro definition and expansion rules - variables (or registers or boxes or token definition lists), assignments and expressions (like addition, multiplication) - control statements (if, switch, for, while) - console and file input/ouput and the like, that is I need documentation for TeX as a (general-purpose) programming language, not just a layout engine. I hear TeX programming is terribly cryptic and hard ...

File name at the end of document
How do I make Latex put the file name aligned to the right at the bottom of the last page? I am using MikTeX on a Windows XP Pro computer. I thank you in advance, Hindsholm DK-9400 Noerresundby "s.hindsholm_ad_gmail.com" <s.hindsholm@gmail.com> wrote: > How do I make Latex put the file name aligned to the right at the > bottom of the last page? \par \vspace*{\fill} \hspace*{\fill} \texttt{\jobname}% or \jobname.tex \end{document} Yours sincerely Heiko <oberdiek@uni-freiburg.de> ...

SIP and end-to-end
Common wisdom says that for a SIP-based telephony session the media stream is directly end to end. However, for both FWD and sipgate.de I figured that the media stream goes via the respective provider. I would assume the sip proxy to manipulate the Invite messages accordingly. Is this being done to better cope with NAT devices and firewalls? -- Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/ georg.schwarz@freenet.de +49 178 8545053 Hello, > Common wisdom says that for a SIP-based telephony session the media > stream is directly end to end. > However, for both FWD and sipgate.de I figured that the media stream > goes via the respective provider. I would assume the sip proxy to > manipulate the Invite messages accordingly. > Is this being done to better cope with NAT devices and firewalls? Exactly. For instance see PortaSIP User Guide, "NAT traversal" chapter for more details. http://www.portaone.com/resources/docs/PortaSIP/m-r-11/PortaSIP_User_Guide_MR11.pdf With best regards, Andriy Zhylenko -- Andrew Zhilenko Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying, so my address should be andrew (at) ti dot cz ...

$(document) and jQuery(document)
I had a widget, which broke after some other things were updated. It was saying: TypeError: 'undefined' is not a function (evaluating '$('#id_conta cts_and_people-phonecontact-content_type-object_id-0-label').combo box()') Last night, I finally managed to fix it, after noticing that this script (which is injected into the HTML body as many times as required for each widget) began: $(document).ready(function(){ while others I had seen began: jQuery(document).ready(function($){ Changing it to the latter form made it work. Th...

Macro
I'm searching through a document and copying certain lines to another; I can't find out how to stop at the end of the document - it just goes round and round !! The rest of it works OK. Can anyone tell me how to get the search to stop. It's a DO ... UNTIL, but until what? Rob ...

end to end testing
when doing end to end testing wheather we stop the testing and contact some other testing? anand4180 wrote: > when doing end to end testing wheather we stop the testing and > contact some other testing? You never stop testing. You "analyze" (meaning "guess") how much of each kind to do, and then you release whenever the program passes all tests and has new features. And most of your tests should be automated. Again, you "analyze" to discover how many. -- Phlip http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!! On Mar 17, 6:13 am, &qu...

Placing figures at the end of the document
Hi everyone, Is there a command that automatically places floats (figures and tables) at the very end of the document, ideally putting each figure on a separate page? I am writing a journal paper in the IEEEtran environment and have to frequently switch between double-column and single-column format. Such a command would help to save me a lot of time. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, -Stefan Stefan Geirhofer <stg803@gmail.com> writes: > Is there a command that automatically places floats (figures and > tables) at the very end of the document, ideally putting e...

document or document.body
I've been attaching tables and other things directly to document. It seems to work. Should I be using document.body? What is/are the difference(s)? Martin Rinehart wrote: > I've been attaching tables and other things directly to document. "Attaching" -- how? > It seems to work. Testing things positive to "work" in a handful of newest UAs without understanding the mechanisms behind them is the first blunder. > Should I be using document.body Yes if you are talking about Element::appendChild() or Node::insertBefore() and objects representing elements th...

Web resources about - joke: LaTeX Error: \Begin{document} ended by \end{document}. - comp.text.tex

Killian documents controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The provider of the documents, Lt. Col. Bill Burkett , claims to have burned the originals after faxing copies to CBS. CBS News producer Mary ...

Firm told to come Kleen with documents
... sponsor of Darwin’s V8 ute team, Team Kleen Racing, has been fined and hit with an unprecedented court order after failing to produce documents ...

Sydney teen facing terrorism charges found with hunting knife, bomb-making instructions: court documents ...
A Sydney teenager charged with recklessly possessing a knife and documents connected to a terrorist act is formally refused bail.

Lawyer Charged With Forging Signatures Of 7 Judges On Over 100 Court Documents
A Florida lawyer faces charges that he systematically forged the signatures of judges on court orders.

Takata documents show warnings about fudged data
... as well as coverage of safety developments and enhancements. WASHINGTON Congressional staffers released internal Takata emails and other documents ...

Batch print documents, drawings and more with Print Conductor 5.0
If you regularly need to batch print folders of documents then you’ll know it’s a lengthy and tedious process: Ctrl+P+Enter+repeat until you ...

Google Docs now lets you edit and format your documents with your voice
Google today announced a new feature for its mega-popular Google Docs tool that lets you format and edit documents with your voice. It's an ...

Antonio Banderas doesn't party anymore - Business Standard News New Document Widgets Magazine Widgets ...
Actor Antonio Banderas is not a "party person anymore". Banderas has relocated to a peaceful village in Surrey, South East England with girlfriend ...

Hillary’s ‘Home Girl,’ And Other Notable Emails From The Latest State Dept. Document Dump
Hillary’s ‘Home Girl,’ And Other Notable Emails From The Latest State Dept.