LaTeX, CJK, and "Font C70/song/m/n/6/57=cyberb57 at 6.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found."

Hello,

I started to use CJK in LaTeX recently, and I spend a lot of time
trying to fix the following problem:

! Font C70/song/m/n/9/65=cyberb65 at 9.0pt not loadable:
                         Metric (TFM) file not found.

                   relax
l.74 ^^e6^^97^^a0
                 \par
?

I searched Internet to find a fix. I'm not the only one who got such
error, but the only recommendation was to correctly install CJK fonts.
Unfortunately, it wasn't my case. My CJK fonts were installed and
worked.

Finally, I've traced the source of the problem and fixed it. I share
the solution in hope that someone somewhen found it useful.

I use background texts which are produced in \EveryShipout. The text
should be displayed in Helvetica font, so the shipout code contains:

.... \fontfamily{phv}\selectfont ...

Now let's trace TeX execution. It processes CJK text, and the current
encoding is some "CXX". A page is full, so shipout procedure is
activated. "Selectfont" tries to load "phv" for "CXX" encoding (font
shape "CXX/phv/m/n"). It's undefined, so fallback is "CXX/song/m/n",
which somehow is translated to "cyberbXX" (my CJK font), and for some
reason it is not found (altough exists).

The fix is simple. The shipout code should also define the font
encoding:

.... \fontfamily{phv}\fontencoding{T1}\selectfont ...

All this seems obvious now, but it wasn't easy to realize. TeX error
message is very misleading: error context is the source code, not the
shipout code.

--
Oleg Paraschenko  olpa@ http://uucode.com/
http://uucode.com/blog/  Generative Programming, XML, TeX, Scheme

0
olepar (113)

Oleg Paraschenko <olepar@gmail.com> wrote:

> I started to use CJK in LaTeX recently, and I spend a lot of time
> trying to fix the following problem: [...]

Please send such information to either the cjk list or to me so
that I can include it into the `problems' section of the CJK
documentation.

    Werner
0
wl9450 (75)
9/13/2005 5:46:35 AM
Hello Werner,

Werner Lemberg =D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BB(=D0=B0):

> Oleg Paraschenko <olepar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I started to use CJK in LaTeX recently, and I spend a lot of time
> > trying to fix the following problem: [...]
>

> Please send such information to either the cjk list or to me so
> that I can include it into the `problems' section of the CJK
> documentation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've sent a note to you.

For those who interested, here is an example to reproduce the problem:
http://uucode.com/blog/2005/09/12/latex-cjk-and-font-c70songmn657cyberb57-a=

--
Oleg Paraschenko  olpa@ http://uucode.com/
http://uucode.com/blog/  Generative Programming, XML, TeX, Scheme

0
olepar (113)

Web resources about - LaTeX, CJK, and "Font C70/song/m/n/6/57=cyberb57 at 6.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found." - comp.text.tex