LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OMS/cmss/m/n' undefined

It looks like this was discussed a bit on this group, but I didn't see
a specific solution.

Here's what was attempted, and what failed.
\renewcommand{\familydefault}{\sfdefault}

Then within the document,

\textit{\textbf{whatever text}}

This generated these errors:

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/it' in size <12> not
available
(Font)              Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/sl' tried instead on input
line 8.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/bx/it' undefined
(Font)              using `OT1/cmss/bx/n' instead on input line 8.

Is there a way to get bold, italic serif, or a workaround for the same?

Thanks!

1
john4091 (5)

"jfgodfrey" <john@jlgodfrey.myrf.net>  schrieb:

> It looks like this was discussed a bit on this group, but I didn't see
> a specific solution.
>
> Here's what was attempted, and what failed.
> \renewcommand{\familydefault}{\sfdefault}
>
> Then within the document,
>

> \textit{\textbf{whatever text}}
>
> This generated these errors:
>
> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/it' in size <12> not
> available
> (Font)              Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/sl' tried instead on input
> line 8.
>

> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/bx/it' undefined
> (Font)              using `OT1/cmss/bx/n' instead on input line 8.
>
> Is there a way to get bold, italic serif, or a workaround for the same?

Your question is a bit confusing. In the subject you speak of
`OMS/cmss/m/n', then in the text of OT1/cmss/m/it and at the end
OT1/cmss/bx/it.

Use T1-encoding it contains an italic, bold, sans serif (it is
identical to the slanted, bold, sans serif)

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}

%% usw
\begin{document}
\textit{\textsf{\textbf{test}}}
\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}

Have a great day!
john

0
john4091 (5)
1/2/2006 3:03:10 PM
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:09:38 +0000 (UTC), Ulrike Fischer
<news@nililand.de> wrote:

>"jfgodfrey" <john@jlgodfrey.myrf.net>  schrieb:
>
>> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/it' in size <12> not
>> available
>> (Font)              Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/sl' tried instead on input
>> line 8.
>>

>> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/bx/it' undefined
>> (Font)              using `OT1/cmss/bx/n' instead on input line 8.
>>
>> Is there a way to get bold, italic serif, or a workaround for the same?
>

>Use T1-encoding it contains an italic, bold, sans serif (it is
>identical to the slanted, bold, sans serif)

Font encoding normally has nothing to do with the style (italic, bold
or whatever). A more precise statement is that in the default san
serif family (cmss) in default encoding (OT1) the CM font set is used,
and CM has no bold slanted font, but switching to T1 (and leaving
other defaults) a different font set (namely the EC fonts) is used,
which does contain such a font.

If one switches to an entirely different font set, one might get such
a font even in OT1 encoding and might not get such a font even in T1
encoding. Not that I know of any such cases off the top of my head.

Dan
0
LookInSig (1085)
1/3/2006 7:02:12 PM
try this:
\usepackage{lmodern}

LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/m/n undefined
Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I have searched and searched but can't find the solution to this problem. I keep getting a variety of warnings along the lines of: LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/m/n undefined LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/m/it undefined LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/bx/n defined LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OMS/Helvetica/m/n undefined .... Does anyone know how to correct this? Thank you in advance for your help, Dan On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:27:31 -0700 (PDT), Dan wrote: > Thanks for taking the time to loo...

problems with ttf in Latex...Font shape `T1/tnr10/m/n' undefined
Hello, After following the procedure from "http://www.radamir.com/tex/ttf-tex.htm", I am still having a problem with the ttf conversion in pdflatex. I keep getting the following warning: ...." (C:\texmf\tex\latex\base\t1enc.def File: t1enc.def 2004/02/22 v1.99f Standard LaTeX file LaTeX Font Info: Redeclaring font encoding T1 on input line 43. )) (C:\localtexmf\tex\latex\winfonts\bookmanold.sty Package: bookmanold ) (Bookman test_2.aux) LaTeX Font Info: Checking defaults for OML/cmm/m/it on input .... LaTeX Font Info: ... okay on input line 9. LaTeX Font Info: Try ...

Font shape `T1/slingbold/m/n' undefined
Hi, I want to make some slides according to http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~mdw/proj/texslides/ and get the messages LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/slingbold/m/n' undefined LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/trebucit/m/n' undefined my truetype fonts are in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/afm /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/truetype I have updated /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map What else do I have to do? Any help greatly appreciated Dieter PS: While updating I get the message texhash: /us...

Font installation problems "Font shape undefined"
I'm trying to install Adobe Sabon and Adobe Trade Gothic on a Linux system running e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1 I have Trade Gothic installed properly, but when I try to use Sabon in my document, LaTeX says: LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/psbx/m/n' undefined (Font) using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 96. I have all fd files installed under /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/sabon and the other files under /usr/share/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/sabon. I have run texhash after putting the files there. The files for Trade Gothic are installed in a similar w...

LaTeX Font Warning: Size substitutions with differences (Font) up to 4.0pt have occurred (and 1 more)...
Hi Again, Okay, I've almost cleaned up all warnings, 2 more remain... The full log can be found here: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/158051/ However, the important bits are as follows... Problem 1... ..... Package hyperref Warning: Wrong driver `hdvipson.def'; (hyperref) pdfTeX is running in PDF mode. (hyperref) Forcing driver `hpdftex.def'. *hyperref using driver hpdftex* (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hpdftex.def) (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsmath/amsmath.sty For additional information on...

Font shape `OT1/cmr/bx/sc' undefined
I need/want *bold smallcaps* for chapter titles in my thesis, so I do \Large\bfseries\scshape{Chapter Title} but I get this: > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmr/bx/sc' undefined > (Font) using `OT1/cmr/bx/n' instead on input line 1. There is a package 'bold-extra' that is a work-around, but I am not happy with it because: a. it is a work-around, b. it gives rough chainsaw-like edges to the letters, c. it makes the letters slightly bolder than they should be. Any better solutions than 'bold-extra' for my problem? Regards, George O...

ClearType: Does Java AWT use its own font or use the OS's font in displaying text field?
Hi folks, I need to display some ClearType text in a static text field of a GUI window using Java AWT. I heard that Java 2D itself currently does not support ClearType sub-pixel technology. I am wondering if AWT can render font using OS's global font setting, for instance, on Windows XP, the ClearType font can be enabled globally, on Linux, it also has sub-pixel rendering technology can can be enabled OS wide. I am wondering if the Java AWT uses OS's font by default? Furthermore, what shall I do if I want to capture the RGB pixel values of the displayed text and save to harddisk? Th...

Swing Font, it's Java Font? ot native? how install new font?
Font from Swing controls, is native (windows) font, or it's not use with window API to draw the font on the screen? if not, where I can see what font available on my Java system? and how I can install new one, or maybe install Window Font? mttc wrote: > Font from Swing controls, is native (windows) font, or it's not use > with window API to draw the font on the screen? I think both. Java has it's own fonts, and it will use the native (Windows) ones too. > if not, where I can see what font available on my Java system? <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/...

What's this Font
Hello ... please, i'm desperate ... does anyone know what font is it ? http://www.sunsetcafe.biz/font.jpg it's not Humanist ... Futura .... etc.etc. they look SIMILAR ... but none of them is IDENTICAL to that one. I need the precise name and font-family :-( Thank you so much !!!!!!! Ste p.s are all these words written with the same font ? maybe a bit stretched here and there ? or they used different fonts ? Hello: I think it's Humanst521 bold (perhaps narrow or condensed, o just with less kerning) whith some vertical stretch. Roc "Stefano" <stefano_nori@...

Original Plain TeX Fonts using LaTeX's \DeclareFixedFont Command
Hi, I'd like to use the computer modern, bold-extended, slanted 10-point font (cmbxsl10) in a style file. I'd like to use \DeclareFixedFont to do it since I want to ensure that the font family, shape, etc., doesn't change with the enclosing environment, but when I attempt, e.g., \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{TS1}{cmbxsl10}{m}{n}{10pt} I get the message LaTeX Font Warning: Some font shapes were not available, defaults substituted. and the desired font is not selected. However, if I use the plain TeX command \font\myfont=cmbxsl10 then I get the proper font (in a LaTeX docu...

How to create PDFs with a 'similar-enough' font embedded if the original document's font license does forbid embedding?
My questions follow below; here are my facts first: 0. I'm using a customer-owned MS Windows Vista notebook during calls on-site (my own one has no permission to be plugged into the network there) with MS Office 2007 as well as Acrobat Professional 9.1.2 installed. 1. I have gotten a Word 2007 document, composed entirely of text formatted with a font "LucidaSans" (plus variations: *-italic, *-bold, *-bolditalic). 2. BTW, I don't know *how* Word originally found the LucidaSans font -- it's not by default installed in %windir%\fonts. However, it's available in "...

[News] Liberation Fonts Put to Rest 'Fonts Smear' Against Linux
Ubuntu and Fonts ,----[ Quote ] | In this short tutorial i discuss some handy fonts related tips that could | improve user's desktop experience . The tips include installing Microsoft | True type fonts enabling one to render documents and web pages created in | Microsoft Windows properly in Ubuntu Linux, Installing a set of cool looking | fonts released by RedHat - Liberation fonts package , making fonts look good | on your LCD Display by turning on subpixel smoothing , installing some cool | and free fonts on your Ubuntu Desktop and finally how to install any font if | you have it...

font editing software for tex fonts?
In my one foray into creating a virtual font, which was a replacement for the math italic font for use with Times Roman, the *really* tedious part was adjusting the font metrics. Are there are wysiwig font editors for tex font metrics? (I've seen VTeX's TFM Editor, but it only works for fonts in VTeX's IF4 format and I don't think it can be used with virtual fonts.) How about the following alternative? Use a PostScript font editor to create a composite type 1 font, adjust the metrics in that font editor, and then use afm2tfm? I see a couple problems with this approach:...

looking for a look-alike font of the 'West side story'-font
For a school-presentation on the 'West side story', I like to make use of a free-font that has resemblance to the one used for the original film-posters. (For those who need to refresh their minds how it looks: http://216.168.37.61/posteritati/jpg/W2/WEST%20SIDE%20STORY%203SH.jpg) Can someone help me with some suggestions. Thanks Guus De Nada's "Will Robinson" has a similar appearance: http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/denada/dn1.htm Bill ...

Combining Math Fonts with Text Fonts
Dear all, I have two questions. 1) Are there any solid guidelines about what properties a math font should have if you want tp combine it with a given text font? I am aware of Stephan Hartke's ``A Survey of Free Math Fonts for TeX and LaTeX'' but this ``just'' lists some nice combinations; it doesn't list the guidelines. I'd be much obliged if anybody could provide me with some pointers. 2) I am thinking of buying a font licence for FF Nexus, but I need some advice for a good accompanying math font. Unfortunately, the licence is pretty expensive: it would be a ...

Urgent problem with font sizes in latex: signature page fonts, chapter page chapter name font
Hi there, I am a newbie using Latex for writing my thesis. I have no clue how to change the .sty or .cls files as I am using others templates, (.sty files) directly on Winedt and editing them with my text. I use a document class: report.The chapter font size in the beginning page of each chapter has a large font size. Is there a way I can reduce this font size to12? Also in the table of contents page the dots dont extend to the page numbers for the chapters and main headings. Only subsections etc., have dots extending to page numbers. Any help on this? The Signature page shows up font sizes...

how to insert 'artificial' text with font-lock
What I want to accomplish is that font-lock, besides putting a face on certain part of the buffer, also inserts text just for display, i.e. text which is not part of the underlying file. E.g. I want that every occurrence of the literal string "(C)" is displayed with the face adoc-replacement, followed by an inserted copy right sign "\u00A9". This is the font lock keyword I tried, but it doesn't work. It applies the face, but doesn't insert the text. (list "\\((C)\\)" '(1 '(face adoc-replacement after-string "\u00A9"))) The next quest...

Font sizes in 'rich text' control
I have run into a problem with the new rich text control in Access 2007. It seems that you can only choose from 6 preset font sizes when entering or editing text. The sizes are 8,10,12,14,18,24,36, which as I understand it, corresponds to Font Size=1 through Font Size = 6 in HTML. Is there any way around this. I have a need to display the data at 46pt, and also to make fine discriminations in font size depending on the data displayed. Is there some other way to tell HTML to display a font size? Is there some way to overcome these limits in Access 2007? Thanks in advance for your h...

LaTeX font warning
Could someone please advise on how to fix this type of compilation font warning: || LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OMS/cmtt/m/n' undefined || LaTeX Font Warning: Some font shapes were not available, defaults substituted. Here is a log entry that pertains to this: LaTeX Font Info: Try loading font information for OMS+cmtt on input line 24. LaTeX Font Info: No file OMScmtt.fd. on input line 24. Line 24 happens to be a \maketitle call, and the title, besides having regular characters, has curly braces that are escaped like \{ and \}. I am also using the llncs document class....

Hello, Is there somebody knows how avoid the warning: Error caught in `font-lock-pre-idle-hook': (error Invalid search limit (wrong side of point)) poped in a buffer 3 times per minute font-lock-pr
Hello, Is there somebody who knows how avoid the warning: Error caught in `font-lock-pre-idle-hook': (error Invalid search limit (wrong side of point)) Thanks a lot because it makes xemacs unusable Annie Ressouche <Annie.Ressouche@sophia.inria.fr> writes: > Hello, > > Is there somebody who knows how avoid the warning: > Error caught in `font-lock-pre-idle-hook': (error Invalid search limit > (wrong side of point)) > > Thanks a lot because it makes xemacs unusable Google may know! http://www.xemacs.org/Releases/2005-07-15.html ...

LaTeX, CJK, and "Font C70/song/m/n/6/57=cyberb57 at 6.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found."
Hello, I started to use CJK in LaTeX recently, and I spend a lot of time trying to fix the following problem: ! Font C70/song/m/n/9/65=cyberb65 at 9.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found. relax l.74 ^^e6^^97^^a0 \par ? I searched Internet to find a fix. I'm not the only one who got such error, but the only recommendation was to correctly install CJK fonts. Unfortunately, it wasn't my case. My CJK fonts were installed and worked. Finally, I've traced the source of the problem and fixed it. I share the solution...

How to get rid of 'Font shape in size not available ...'?
Hi all! We have a custom document class that always generates some font size warnings: + LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `U/msa/m/n' in size <40> not available + (Font) size <24.88> substituted on input line 41. As far as I understand I can safely ignore these warning, but how to get rid of them? I have tried with \RequirePackage{fix-cm} but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The document class snippet looks like this: [...] \begin{minipage}[b]{\textwidth} \ \vfill \begin{longtable}[b]{ll} \hspace{0.35\textwidth}\ &\vspace{1cm}\ \\ &\fontfami...

latex '\.' tex '_'
Dear all, I have a statement de_rm, d means derivate, rm is a subscript. I have the folowing problem, when I use: legend('e_rm','Interpreter','tex') is good for subscript, legend('\.e','Interpreter','latex') is good for derivate. But how can use this two things together? Gergo Nyiro wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a statement de_rm, d means derivate, rm is a subscript. I > have the folowing problem, when I use: > legend('e_rm','Interpreter','tex') is good for subscript, > legend('\.e','Interp...

Installation of Impression Publisher Fonts Fail Using the 'Font Install 1.03' Software
After installing Impression Publisher I am unable to install any of the (default) Fonts included with this application. Some Impression Publisher functions refuse to start because the default fonts cannot be found. The fonts on the disc may not be accessed directly ... it appears that the default fonts must be unpacked and installed by the font installation program included with Impression Publisher - Font Install 1.03 When attempting to use Font Install 1.03 the application reports that the system is "Out of Memory" - yet the task manager advises that in excess of 160,000Kbytes ar...

Web resources about - LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OMS/cmss/m/n' undefined - comp.text.tex

Undefined - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mike Duffy trial: Senate's ex-law clerk says senator residence rules undefined
A former Senate law clerk testifying at the Mike Duffy trial in Ottawa admitted that the rules governing a senator's residency do not include ...

Washington's Olympic bid moves forward with extent of Maryland role undefined
... offered his preliminary backTing, but the extent of Maryland's role &#8211; and potential financial commitment &#8211; remained largely undefined. ...

Undefined discussion subject.
Undefined discussion subject. Read the full story here

undefined - Daily News & Analysis
Toggle navigation analysis DNA Edit Blogs Standpoint news India World Mumbai Delhi Bangalore Pune Ahmedabad sport money sci/tech dna pix entertainment ...

Undefined Behavior Versus Teaching
It is important to avoid undefined behavior wherever possible when teaching beginners.

Mexico's Energy Battlegrounds Come Into Focus, But Rules Of Engagement Remain Undefined
By Dwight Dyer International investors have been abuzz about the prospect of reforms to Mexico’s energy industry ever since that country’s Congress ...

FOSS Patents: undefined
Florian Mueller is an award-winning intellectual property activist-turned-analyst with 25 years of software industry expertise spanning across ...

DIFFERENCES UNDEFINED? Clinton, Sanders unite in police criticism, campaign rules amid testy debate
DIFFERENCES UNDEFINED? Clinton, Sanders unite in police criticism, campaign rules amid testy debate

Microsoft’s Xbox guru Don Mattrick leaves for key, but undefined role at Zynga
With the Xbox One coming to stores sometime this holiday season, it looks like Microsoft will have to find a new leader to oversee the launch. ...