LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/m/n undefined

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I have searched and
searched but can't find the solution to this problem.

I keep getting a variety of warnings along the lines of:

LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/m/n undefined
LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/m/it undefined
LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/bx/n defined
LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OMS/Helvetica/m/n undefined

Does anyone know how to correct this?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Dan
1
dp_pearce (291)

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:27:31 -0700 (PDT), Dan wrote:
 > Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I have searched and
 > searched but can't find the solution to this problem.
 >
 > I keep getting a variety of warnings along the lines of:
 >
 > LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/m/n undefined
 > LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/m/it undefined
 > LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/bx/n defined
 > LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OMS/Helvetica/m/n undefined
 >
 > Does anyone know how to correct this?

\usepackage{helvet}

....\textsf{This is Helvetica.}...

For a scaling option to helvet, look for psnfss2e.pdf either on your
system or at CTAN.  If you really intend to use Helvetica as your
default font family, add

\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{phv}

Bob T.
0
BobT (1484)

LaTeX Font Warning: Size substitutions with differences (Font) up to 4.0pt have occurred (and 1 more)...
Hi Again, Okay, I've almost cleaned up all warnings, 2 more remain... The full log can be found here: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/158051/ However, the important bits are as follows... Problem 1... ..... Package hyperref Warning: Wrong driver `hdvipson.def'; (hyperref) pdfTeX is running in PDF mode. (hyperref) Forcing driver `hpdftex.def'. *hyperref using driver hpdftex* (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hpdftex.def) (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsmath/amsmath.sty For additional information on...

Font shape `OT1/cmr/bx/sc' undefined
I need/want *bold smallcaps* for chapter titles in my thesis, so I do \Large\bfseries\scshape{Chapter Title} but I get this: > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmr/bx/sc' undefined > (Font) using `OT1/cmr/bx/n' instead on input line 1. There is a package 'bold-extra' that is a work-around, but I am not happy with it because: a. it is a work-around, b. it gives rough chainsaw-like edges to the letters, c. it makes the letters slightly bolder than they should be. Any better solutions than 'bold-extra' for my problem? Regards, George O...

font editing software for tex fonts?
In my one foray into creating a virtual font, which was a replacement for the math italic font for use with Times Roman, the *really* tedious part was adjusting the font metrics. Are there are wysiwig font editors for tex font metrics? (I've seen VTeX's TFM Editor, but it only works for fonts in VTeX's IF4 format and I don't think it can be used with virtual fonts.) How about the following alternative? Use a PostScript font editor to create a composite type 1 font, adjust the metrics in that font editor, and then use afm2tfm? I see a couple problems with this approach:...

Combining Math Fonts with Text Fonts
Dear all, I have two questions. 1) Are there any solid guidelines about what properties a math font should have if you want tp combine it with a given text font? I am aware of Stephan Hartke's ``A Survey of Free Math Fonts for TeX and LaTeX'' but this ``just'' lists some nice combinations; it doesn't list the guidelines. I'd be much obliged if anybody could provide me with some pointers. 2) I am thinking of buying a font licence for FF Nexus, but I need some advice for a good accompanying math font. Unfortunately, the licence is pretty expensive: it would be a pitty to buy it and then find that there's no nice accompanying math font. One of the main reasons why I'd like to use FF Nexus is because it has a serif, a sans serif, a slab serif, and a typewriter typeface which go very well together. I'm thinking of using the serif for the main text, the sans serif for captions, the slab serif for section titles, and the typewriter for identifiers. (You may find more information about FF Nexus on http://www.martinmajoor.com/4_nexus.html.) Again, I'd be much obliged for suggestions. It would be nice if you could let me know why you think a particular suggestion is nice. Of course, ideally the math font should be free. Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Marc van Dongen Le 06/06/2011 06:58, Marc van Dongen a �crit : > Dear all, > > > I have two questions. > > 1) Are there any solid guidelines about what pr...

LaTeX, CJK, and "Font C70/song/m/n/6/57=cyberb57 at 6.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found."
Hello, I started to use CJK in LaTeX recently, and I spend a lot of time trying to fix the following problem: ! Font C70/song/m/n/9/65=cyberb65 at 9.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found. relax l.74 ^^e6^^97^^a0 \par ? I searched Internet to find a fix. I'm not the only one who got such error, but the only recommendation was to correctly install CJK fonts. Unfortunately, it wasn't my case. My CJK fonts were installed and worked. Finally, I've traced the source of the problem and fixed it. I share the solution...

trouble with font-lock-*, font=latex-* faces (no colors...)
xpost to xemacs-beta mailing list and comp.emacs.xemacs when i edit latex sources, i'd like to have the running text in a proportional font and everything else (macros, math, comments) in the default, monospaced font first i tried (defun my-tex-font () (interactive) (set-specifier (face-font (get-face 'default)) "Calibri-16" (current-buffer))) but executing my-tex-font in a latex buffer caused ALL faces to get a proportional font being smart, i told me: "all those faces can be forced to inherit from a common ancestor face, that i can force to have a...

LaTeX fonts for long texts
Hi all, For typesetting long texts in LaTeX, and I want a nice, comfortable font family for that. I am not too satisfied with the standard fonts bundled with LaTeX. Times and Helvetica are too cliche, Charter is too playful, Palatino is too spacey for me to really like it, and Computer Modern is both cliche and ugly. Utopia still comes closest to what I want, put it lacks some personality. I like the Bera package, containing the Bitstream Vera font families. The sans and monotype are absolutelty gorgeous, but for long texts I prefer a variable width serif. For some reason I find the serif ve...

siunitx using wrong font: font shapes not available
This code \unitfrac{g}{cm^3} or any other using the command unitfrac which is defined as \NewDocumentCommand\unitfrac{omm}{% \IfNoValueTF{#1} {\si{\sfrac{#2}{#3}}} {\SI{#1}{\sfrac{#2}{#3}}}% } causes these errors: LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OML/cmm/m/it' in size <3.1492> not available (Font) size <5> substituted on input line 32. Any chance that I can solve this problem, or is it related to sfrac ( from xfrac) or siunitx? Am Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:00:18 +0200 schrieb Matthias Pospiech: > This code \unitfrac{g}{cm^3} or any other using the command unitfrac > which is defined as > > \NewDocumentCommand\unitfrac{omm}{% > \IfNoValueTF{#1} > {\si{\sfrac{#2}{#3}}} > {\SI{#1}{\sfrac{#2}{#3}}}% > } > > causes these errors: > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OML/cmm/m/it' in size <3.1492> not available > (Font) size <5> substituted on input line 32. A warning is not an error. That's rather normal substituation message. > Any chance that I can solve this problem, or is it related to sfrac ( > from xfrac) or siunitx? \RequirePackage{fix-cm} (at best before \documentclass). -- Ulrike Fischer Am 29.04.2011 17:23, schrieb Ulrike Fischer: > Am Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:00:18 +0200 schrieb Matthias Pospiech: > >> This code \unitfrac{g}{cm^3} or any other using the command unitfrac >> which is defined as >> >> \NewDocumentCommand\unitfrac{omm}{% >...

Font and Font CE
In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS 10.2.8) Stefan In article <bp8jas$300$1@newshispeed.ch>, Stefan <stefan@mus._INVALID_.ch> wrote: > In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, > once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS > 10.2.8) You've enabled something about Central European input (perhaps a Polish or Estonian keyboard). The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings for the characters that appear in those orthographies and not in the various western/Roman alphabets (English, French, etc.). -- AF "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team." --artyw raises the bar on rec.sport.baseball Alice Faber wrote: > You've enabled something about Central European input German and Arabic, to be precise. Not exactly Central Europe... > The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings > for the characters that appear in those orthographies I thought with the upcoming of Unicode there's one and only one font for "all" script systems? So what's the deal? I've noticed that the fonts concerned are all of the type ".dfont" and they appear twice only in programs that have a "traditional" font menue. Stefan In article <bp8qd3$6up$1@ne...

How to get LaTeX-font bigger than 24 pt from ttf-font
Hello ! A few days ago I tried to make a TrueType-Font available for LaTeX also. It seemed to be successful but now I have the problem that the fonts show up in dvi- and ps-files correctly only for sizes not larger than 24 pt. I need them bigger (57pt). I use MikTeX 2.3. I don't know all too much about font-management in LaTeX, therefore I -like a stupid sheep- sticked strictly to the online-manual of Damir Rakityansky. The truetype-font is called pompc.ttf. I did the following: 1. I created TeX Font Metrics (tfm): ttf2tfm pompc.ttf -q -T T1-WGL4.enc -v ecpompc.vpl recpompc.tfm ...

Fonts (math+text) vs LaTex
Dear group I would like to use a number of Gnuplots in a LaTex document. Many of the plots contain math fonts in axis labels and so on. The standard latex document font is Times while the Gnuplot fonts should all be Helvetica. I have tried to simply use the postscript-eps terminal with large enough fonts and scale the plot to a suitable size for the document. This comes close to the desired result except that on pages with several graphs this can look a bit odd because all the plotting areas are of slightly different dimensions depending on axis labels. Other than that I have tried to use the epslatex terminal since the fonts are all being replaced to match the document fonts. However, here I get a Times font in the plots as well. Have not managed to get rid of these, particularly the math fonts give me a headache. I have 2 questions: 1. Has some got a better idea than what I have tried? 2. When I convert the eps files to pdf by epstopdf, the gridlines and several other line sizes are altered. The entire graph looks crappy. The same happens if converted using Acrobat Writer. Any clues? Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers Ingo On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 03:55:36 -0700, Ingo wrote: > Dear group > > I would like to use a number of Gnuplots in a LaTex document. Many of > the plots contain math fonts in axis labels and so on. The standard > latex document font is Times while the Gnuplot fonts should all be > Helvetica. ...

How to setup the font type/font size for a text in Version 8.xx ???
In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to write into a graphic. But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? Regards Paul Shadowfax wrote: > paulbabb@gmx.ch (Paul Babb) wrote in > news:bg8k62$d34$06$1@news.t-online.com: > > >>In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. >>Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to >>write into a graphic. >> >>But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? > > > > They are on the Tool Options Palette. This should be the long ribbon Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the new PSP, it's been three long months, but nobody still wants me... I'd forget about trust, place the blame on Z', I think I'll go tie a gold ribbon about the new Adobe :-) Uni ...

Converting Mac Fonts "Helvetica Neue" to Window fonts
Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. Can anybody help me? Or anyone like to exchange fonts? Thank you! Claire wrote: > Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? > I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). > http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Kind regards Bj�rn Studio Smalbro > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Thanks for the info. To me, that is a major limitation. No hurry for that upgrade then! ...

LaTeX, VMS, CM fonts, DisplayPostScript fonts, GV, GS etc
While I plan to upgrade most everything this year, at the moment I have VMS 7.3-2, LaTeX and [TEXMF] from about 1999 and GhostScript and Ghostview from around the same time. Everything used to work fine: LaTeX (including PostScript figures), DVIPS then view the result with GV. Unfortunately, now some fonts don't display due to the fact that DisplayPostScript was removed with VMS 7.2 or whatever. For now, I would like to stick to the same configuration but be able to see all the fonts. Is anyone here running LaTeX and GV on VMS without DisplayPostScript? Am 13.08.2011 12:48, schrie...

How to setup the font type/font size for a text in Version 8.xx ???
In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to write into a graphic. But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? Regards Paul Shadowfax wrote: > paulbabb@gmx.ch (Paul Babb) wrote in > news:bg8k62$d34$06$1@news.t-online.com: > > >>In Version 7.xx there was an option to setup the font type (e.g. >>Times New Roman, Helvetia,...) and the size of a text I want to >>write into a graphic. >> >>But where do I specify these attributes in Version 8.xx ? > ...

How to make sure that font style/size in graphics matches with text font/size?
Hi, I'm writing my phd thesis with pdfLaTeX (KOMA script package with "standard" serif fonts, 11 pt) and now have to create technical drawings, schemes and diagrams. (My thesis is about engineering, so there will have to be some technical drawings and sketches, flow charts and schemes, fotos and many many graphs... I'm writing on a PowerBook with OS X, but am also working on a PC with Windows XP.) I'm not sure what software to use to create (vector) graphics and how to ensure that font size and style look good with the text of the document... Should the text in the grap...

Problem: Latex cannot find a TTF font installed by the Miktex TTF font installer
Short version: I have the Sabon font as TTF and would like to use it from Miktex. I have tried using various methods, including the Miktex font installer, but failed. I think the Sabon font is installed (the self-test seems to indicate that) but still pdftex complains that the font shape is undefined. How should I proceed, please? Long version: I'll redo all the steps (2006-04-11) and log them here. This is on Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service pack 2. First let's ensure that the system is up to date. I run the Miktex update wizard 2.4.1704. Update from Internet. Sele...

help with font error: "Could not find/open font when opening font arial, using internal non-scalable font"
Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the above message when I try to run the following script. Can someone please educate me? :-) Thanks! set term png set output '| display png:-' # cool trick plot sin(x) with lines Setting the term font does not help: set term png font arial 14 size 800,600 Also, according to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I, I should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation LiberationMono-Bold.ttf LiberationSans-Regular.ttf LiberationMono-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf LiberationMono-Italic.ttf LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationMono-Regular.ttf LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf LiberationSans-Bold.ttf LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf LiberationSans-BoldItalic.ttf fonts.dir LiberationSans-Italic.ttf fonts.scale But when I try setting GDFONTPATH, it still gets the same error: rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font Rich Cook wrote: > H...

TeX, LaTeX support for STIX, Esstix fonts?
Apparently the STIX font project (www.stixfonts.org), a group effort by, among others, the AMS and Elsevier, to create a free and comprehensive set of fonts for maths and science, is getting close to completion. In fact, Elsevier made available a limited version of the fonts in 2003. The font files (AFM and PFB's) are available for download at ftp://ftp.elsevier.nl/pub/styles/esstix/ The problem is that there are no `obvious' TeX/LaTeX support files available yet (something has been cobbled together for one of the fonts (#14, I think)). The long term plan for STIX includes extensive ...

WVW Hello world with 2 fonts or 2 font sizes of same font
could anyone write a small Hello World using more then 1 font or more sizes then one. I cant figure this one out. Thanks Yon ...

Japanese fonts / font-conversion / saving Fonts in certain formats (on mac)
Hello, I today found out how to use input of japanese symbols on the Mac OS-X. It's nice and easy, but the TextEditor does not save in formats I'm looking for. Useful would be either UTF-8, or (what I'm looking for especially) SJS. The latter is a format that is used in Japan and pTeX also can read SJS-encoded japanese fonts. pTeX is a certain TeX-variant, that is used especially in japan. What I'm looking for is a program that either can be used to select japanese fonts from amenue and/or keyboard an save them in different font formats, or a program that can convert from one font-encoding to another encoding. The "convert" program (the user-cli-interface of ImageMagick can a lot, but is specialized on grapfical fileformats and can't convert fonts/texts. Is there such a converter program, or an editor that can be used? (There is a Program called JWPce, but it's only running on WinCE). Even a hint to convert one font into another (are there encoding tables?) maybe would help, if it is not toooo much effort to write a converter by myself.... ....but using a ready-to-use solution would be preferred. Any hint is welcome. Many Thanks, Oliver Hi, > What I'm looking for is a program that either can be used > to select japanese fonts from amenue and/or keyboard an > save them in different font formats, > or a program that can convert from one font-encoding > to another encoding. > Is there such a converter prog...

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

ClearType: Does Java AWT use its own font or use the OS's font in displaying text field?
Hi folks, I need to display some ClearType text in a static text field of a GUI window using Java AWT. I heard that Java 2D itself currently does not support ClearType sub-pixel technology. I am wondering if AWT can render font using OS's global font setting, for instance, on Windows XP, the ClearType font can be enabled globally, on Linux, it also has sub-pixel rendering technology can can be enabled OS wide. I am wondering if the Java AWT uses OS's font by default? Furthermore, what shall I do if I want to capture the RGB pixel values of the displayed text and save to harddisk? Th...

Copying Fonts to Fonts Folder
Hello When my RB app copies fonts to the Fonts Folder on the Mac the fonts immediately become available to all applications. However when I do the same in Windows (2000 or XP, not tried Vista) there has to be a restart to activate the font and make it available to other apps. Is there a trick in the Windows system to activate the font without having to do a restart? TIA M In article <hJudnQ08PvMF2hraRVnyiwA@bt.com>, "fontoholic" <malcolm911@btconnect.com> wrote: > Hello > > When my RB app copies fonts to the Fonts Folder on the ...

Web resources about - LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape `OT1/Helvetica/m/n undefined - comp.text.tex

Helvetica
is a feature-length independent film about typography, graphic design and global visual culture. It looks at the proliferation of one typeface ...

Helvetica Chimica Acta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is It Helvetica? - Font Camera for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Is It Helvetica? - Font Camera on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Google's helvetica april fool - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
renaissancechambara.jp/2011/04/02/a-couple-of-april-fools...

Helvetica Perfume, 'For Those Who Dare to Be the Same' - Adweek
What do you get for the designer who has everything? How about nothing? Helvetica The Perfume is literally just water, or "modernism distilled." ...

Please the Font Freak in Your Life for Just $62 With Helvetica Perfume
... the tab and throw our computers out the window, but then we actually read the piece. Inventors Faun Chapin and Megan Paradise created a Helvetica ...

helvetica: the perfume
Every celebrity has perfume - why shouldn't a font? Helvetica The Perfume is a gag product that is available for purchase - for $62. It's just ...

Mike Parker, typographer who made Helvetica font a favorite, dies
... as ordinary as air. We read their content but don’t think too much about their form. One of the people responsible for the popular use of Helvetica, ...

Mike Parker, typographer who made Helvetica font a favorite, dies - CNN.com
Mike Parker, one of the people responsible for the popular use of Helvetica passed away Sunday at age 84.

Helvetica Neue - Fortune Tech: Technology blogs, news and analysis from Fortune Magazine
Fortune\'s tech blog provides technology news and analysis on Silicon Valley’s tech giants like Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook and more, ...